pulled hamstring and red pee (Read 1662 times)

northernman

Fight The Future

Wow, I got to have two new problems today after my long run. Hot and humid, like everywhere else in the country, and halfway through the 20 miles, I started to get a cramping pain in one of my hamstring muscles. Very odd, I've never had a hamstring injury before at all. It was pretty bad, but I was able to finish by just taking smaller, more rapid steps. Not sure if that then set me up for my next problem, hematuria right after the run. Never have had that before either.  Now I need to find some hamstring exercises so it doesn't act up again. 

TL;DR: running is stupid.

DaBurger

I'd guess cramping is hydration, if it's still tight after you usually recover from a run like this (for me Tuesday), you may have a minor strain.  ...And you should have listened to Bruce, he would have let you know something like that might happen.

Know thyself.

Wow, I got to have two new problems today after my long run. Hot and humid, like everywhere else in the country, and halfway through the 20 miles, I started to get a cramping pain in one of my hamstring muscles. Very odd, I've never had a hamstring injury before at all. It was pretty bad, but I was able to finish by just taking smaller, more rapid steps. Not sure if that then set me up for my next problem, hematuria right after the run. Never have had that before either.  Now I need to find some hamstring exercises so it doesn't act up again. 

TL;DR: running is stupid.

Northern man:

You seem to be mixed up with injury and cramping.  It wouldn't matter whether or not you've had an injury in your hamstrings or not, cramping could happen particularly in a hot and humid day when you hadn't been hydrating properly which seems to be the case.  Probably bulling through it to complete the run was not a smart thing to do but probably didn't have a choice...

The fact your bloody pee (which I'm assuming it is) happend right after your run sort of indicates that you hadn't been hydrating much at all.  In other words, you probably went into your long run dehydrated. 

Depending on what exactly it was, exersicing may not do you much good.  If it was caused by dehydration and mineral imbalance, all the exercises in the world is not going to help you with this or, worse yet, postneitally creates more muscle imbalance.  You'd be better off thinking about what you did with your hydration a several days leading to your long run as well as your diet.

northernman

Fight The Future

Agree, I think it was insufficient water and ions. Next time, bring Gatorade (or a motorbike)
          Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

You pee blood, you go see a doctor.  You may think you know the cause, and you may be right.  But you may not be right and among the possible causes are some that are life-threatening.

xor

What if you crap thunder?

(clarification: not The Thunder)

What if you crap thunder?

It's because you ate lightening! ;o)  Oh, good old Micky...

xor

Smile  Hi Nobby!

servingthealiens

If there were blood in my urine, I wouldn't come post here first.  Maybe I would from the Urgent Care waiting room, but... yeah.  There are only a select few places on the human body it's OK for blood to come out.  Your urethra isn't one of them.  Ever.

northernman

Fight The Future

It's hardly worth panicking about. I'm more worried about the pulled muscle. Hematuria in runners is not rare, and even the serious causes are not "urgent".
                      Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Renal cell carcinoma is not urgent.

Transitional cell bladder carcinoma is not urgent.

Nephritic syndrome can be urgent.

Acute interstitial nephritis can be urgent.

All of these can be life-threatening.  And all of them, believe it or not, occur in runners.

Personally, I would be more worried about these than a pulled hamstring.  But that's just me.

xor

(I realize this is a serious thread.  My grandmother used to refer to the egyptian ruler "nephrititty". I miss my grandmother.  I'm also wondering if nephrititty is serious.)

Trent

Good Bad & The Monkey

Yes.  Kidney boob is very serious.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

It's hardly worth panicking about. I'm more worried about the pulled muscle. Hematuria in runners is not rare, and even the serious causes are not "urgent".

My LATE FIL was a runner (and a skier and a cyclist and a tennis player and the most active middle-aged guy I knew).  He also peed blood once-upon-a-time.  He saw a doctor.  He had bladder cancer (and NO risk factors for it...he wasn't a heavy drinker or a smoker).

Not to say you have cancer, of course...but peeing blood was his first symptom.  I'm really glad he saw a doctor.  We still had him around for another 12+ years before the cancer returned.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

northernman, red pee is the first sign of a uterus thats about to fall out, ya might wanna get it looked at.

and hydrate lots.