Minimum Time Between Doubles (Read 325 times)

Julia1971

I having trouble finding an answer to this question...  For those of you who run doubles, how many hours should you give yourself between runs?  I have a feeling the answer is, "It depends on what the two runs are" but I'm curious to see if there's a minimum amount of time you give yourself.  I'm trying to figure out the wisdom of squeezing in two runs before 3:30pm vs. just recording one of the playoff games.  Smile  And, I'd also be curious if you do anything in particular to recover between the two.

Thanks!  (Go Ravens!)

tenacity

I like running every 12 hrs-- i.e. 7am, 7pm & trying not to run so hard that I can't get them both in. I'm currently not feeling up to the task, but looking forward to bringing back doubles asap.

montag

Super Pro Lurker

I usually do 6-7 mi around 10-11am (lunch) and then 2-3 mi at 5 pm (after work). I drink chocolate milk after the longer one. The only other stuff I do is eat lunch and a snack before the second run and sit at my desk at work. These aren't particularly long runs though.

Feeling the growl again

I usually do 6-7 mi around 10-11am (lunch) and then 2-3 mi at 5 pm (after work). I drink chocolate milk after the longer one. The only other stuff I do is eat lunch and a snack before the second run and sit at my desk at work. These aren't particularly long runs though.

Pretty much what I do now.  Not because running them that close is ideal, but because right now it is not practical to do an early AM and after work run.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

2 days a week I usually do 5 miles starting at 7am, then 7ish starting at 11:45, so four hours between runs. As others have noted - this isn't because this is ideal, it's just what I can fit in. The morning five is always super easy, so I don't have any problem "recovering" before the next run (hours spent at my desk at work).

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
            We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
            wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The shortest time I've ever taken between doubles is two hours. I do not recommend that.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

kcam

Me too, 'cept my first run is usually beginning at 11:30am (6-8miles) and second is ~5pm (3-5) miles.  Maybe twice a week.

Juila, I usually do them about 9-12 hours apart. As with the others, this is more of a life schedule thing, not a training strategy.  I see people here squeezing them closer. My way allows me to double multiple days in a row.

Ravens, eh?

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

Shortest I've done is finish a run, go to dinner, and go out & run again. Works for me & some of the guys I run with. I understand that doesn't work for everyone.

But generally I have no minimum or maximum time in-between -- never worry about it really.

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

spinach

I don't know if what I do is a double or just one long run with a moderate break in the middle.  But I will often run 9 miles with my running club and then have some coffee with them at the end of the run, drive home and then run another 7 to 10 miles. There is about an hour break between the two runs. Is that a double?

(Go Ravens!)

Dislike.

mta: Also, I guess I'll answer the question even though I'm disappointed to learn you are a Ravens' fan...the least amount of time I've gone between doubles is about 3 hours. It totally depends on what kind of runs but if it's 2 easy runs that amount of time is fine.

Runners run

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I'm really happy with 6 between mine. They're usually structured so that the first is a quality workout and then the second is either easy or recovery. I try to hydrate well between, get some protein in, and usually will toss on my recovery socks too.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Julia1971

Seems like you all usually try to space them as far apart as you can, schedule permitting.  In my case, they were both recovery runs (6 miles then 4 miles) and I spaced them 5 hours apart.  Had a recovery drink (water based) and bagel between them and my stomach didn't complain.  I even managed a one hour power nap in between.

And, sorry to upset the Patriot fans.  It's two very good teams.  I hope it's a nail biter and not a blow out on either side.  (That was good sportsmanship, yes?)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Nap is great if you can get it in. I feel like an animal out of my natural habitat posting in general running.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

A Saucy Wench

I don't know if what I do is a double or just one long run with a moderate break in the middle.  But I will often run 9 miles with my running club and then have some coffee with them at the end of the run, drive home and then run another 7 to 10 miles. There is about an hour break between the two runs. Is that a double?

We've had a discussion about this before because on the one hand you are stopping and the very act of stopping provides a partial recovery - even stopping long enough to wait for the light to change provides miniscule recover vs. running straight through.  On the other hand, if you dont refuel in between you arent recovering as much as you might with a traditional double.

OP - If I double I typically double at 5:30 am and around 11 am.  I dont often have time to run in the afternoon plus lunch is usually my largest meal.  If I run after 5 pm I dont sleep well.

For awhile though I was going to yoga 2 nights a week and running before yoga to loosen up and I did have significantly better recovery with a 12 hr gap.  OTOH doing a shorter recovery double makes the second run provide different training.  (running tired vs. running fresh has some benefits too)

Today do whatever you want to do and figure out how you feel about it afterwards.  Maybe it is a good opportunity to experiment with a shorter recovery and see how it makes YOU feel.

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7