Hot 10K + walking = 3rd place medal ?!?!? (Read 569 times)

Go Pre!

Sounds like we're all getting 'a lot' of weather. After running a 10k race yesterday and walking the last 2ks due to fatigue, it felt like I may never run fast again!!! I guess my body just does not like the heat. It was 91 degrees after the race, not sure what it was during the race. I ran the first loop (it was a 2 x 5k loop through a trail like area) in 23:30. I felt I might be able to repeat that or close for a PR but felt the shivers come on around 7K...I wisely called it quits just before 8K and took a walk break. I probably shouldn't have put that much effort into it. While walking I caught up with 2 lovely ladies in their 50's or so who were 5k walkers ... they were actually organizers for the charity the race supported (Healing for Breast Cancer). The conversation was good so I stayed with them and walked the last 2K. I ran the last 200m to keep it under an hour. I don't know why that concerned me. I ended up coming in just under 59 minutes ... good for 3rd place (out of 4!) in my age group and a nice pin in lieu of a medal so all was not lost. Anita (the mrs) called it a "5K" after the first loop as she does not like the heat at all and had a bit of a hammie pull left over from last weekend. So, other than not running at all, anyone got good hot weather racing tips! I felt crap for the rest of the day! I drank a lot of water. Not sure what I was lacking. D
      Way to go... 3rd with walking! I also would like hot weather tips.

Vim

Congrats on placing!
        2009: BQ?
          Hey, whatever it takes!!! Congrats! Big grin

Jennifer mm#1231

CONGRATS!!

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

Go Pre!

2 days later, still sore, still tired. The heat really got to me. I was a bit dissapointed I didn't tough it out and run the last 2K, but in retrospect, I am very glad I did!
                Congratulations! Sorry to hear that the heat was so brutal.

Michelle

Go Pre!

I know the heat is 'normal' for some of you here on RA Smile but it is something we up here only get a couple months of the year and I need to adapt' or find races that go off at 6AM! Smile
                    I know the heat is 'normal' for some of you here on RA Smile but it is something we up here only get a couple months of the year and I need to adapt' or find races that go off at 6AM! Smile
                    Heat normal? I NEVER get used to the heat (probably cause I was born and raised in Washington state) I'm working on adapting to the heat, though it tends to suck the life right out of me.

Your toughness is made up of equal parts persistence and experience. You don't so much outrun your opponents as outlast and outsmart them, and the toughest opponent of all is the one inside your head." - Joe Henderson

A 10K in 91 degree heat? Sounds like the Peachtree road race here in Atlanta. That is pretty awesome to walk in the last 2K and finish under 1 hr and get 3rd- congrats!
                      http://distance-runner.blogspot.com