Flashlights for Trail Running (Read 96 times)

Looking for suggestions that won't break the bank.  Am running my first 24 hr in July and would like a backup to my headlamp.

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

rlopez

Honestly, for a backup that won't "break the bank"... and again, backup... just go to walmart and buy a little light.  You don't need anything fancy.

If you DO decide to get something that's cool, check out the flashlights by fenix.  That's the stuff.  Small, lightweight, built like a tank, bright, and good with batteries.  And I highly recommend getting one that uses AA or AAA over CR-whatever.  The CR batteries last longer and are smaller, but you'll thank me the day you a traveling with your light and need a battery in the middle of nowhere.  You might, maybe find a CR at target.  You won't at Circle K.

Thanks!

Leslie
        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Best Present Ever

I bought a fenix. It's been disappointing. Actually I've had two. The first stopped working and I tried to send it back, but it was out of warranty. Then I bought a second which had an improved design. The button that varies the brightness has stopped working reliably. With both, after about 15 minutes, the brightest setting dims. Given how expensive it is, I've not been impressed.

I've had good luck with the Harbor Freight flashlights.  You can get them for free a lot of times with a coupon and they are some of the lightest I've carried.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-12-in-9-led-mini-flashlight-69111.html

only 1.99 without the coupon.

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I have a Fenix HP 15 ~$75. Batteries(4AA) last 2:45:00 on two brightest settings. Best money I have spent on running gear.10 hours on a trail.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

I bought a fenix. It's been disappointing. Actually I've had two. The first stopped working and I tried to send it back, but it was out of warranty. Then I bought a second which had an improved design. The button that varies the brightness has stopped working reliably. With both, after about 15 minutes, the brightest setting dims. Given how expensive it is, I've not been impressed.

Do a battery check. Family Dollar store brand unopened Use by 07/2021. Would only go to level 4. Big Lots - Procell by Duracell level 5. Use  by 03/2021.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

Best Present Ever

Do a battery check. Family Dollar store brand unopened Use by 07/2021. Would only go to level 4. Big Lots - Procell by Duracell level 5. Use  by 03/2021.

I have had this flashlight for quite a while.  I've changed the batteries many times.  It's not a battery issue.

Buzzie

Bacon Party!

I preferred the specs on my Olight to any Fenix - offering 30 hours of "useful for trail-running" illumination. (Sadly, it's no longer made.)

You may want to check out this site to get an idea of what's out there:

http://www.batteryjunction.com/flashlight-finder.html

FWIW, these are the specs of the Olight model I currently use.

I've found 18 lumens to be quite usable in almost any trail situation; I wouldn't want to count on anything lower (although the 7 lumen setting works just fine in some situations).

Runtime/Output:
                    Level 1: 220 lumens for 1.5 hrs
                    Level 2: 100 lumens for 3.8 hrs
                    Level 3:  45 lumens for 10 hrs
                    Level 4:  18 lumens for 30 hrs
                    Level 5:   7 lumens for 70 hrs

Liz

pace sera, sera