One Race a Month - CHALLENGE - Who's in? (Read 1009 times)

Think Whirled Peas

I've got a running friend who has challenged me to run one race a month for all of 2008. I took her up on the challenge and thought it'd be interesting to see how many people on RA would give it a go. Any race, any distance, but you gotta toe the line somewhere. So how 'bout it? My first race is a 5k on Jan. 26.

Just because running is simple does not mean it is easy.

Relentless. Forward. Motion. <repeat>

i just finished doing this in 2007! it was fun and i'd recommend it. i didn't take it too seriously, ran with friends and had fun, mostly 5ks. good luck!!
      va

I've got a running friend who has challenged me to run one race a month for all of 2008. I took her up on the challenge and thought it'd be interesting to see how many people on RA would give it a go. Any race, any distance, but you gotta toe the line somewhere. So how 'bout it? My first race is a 5k on Jan. 26.
        Hi PoQ, There is a RA group that does this: Virtual Racers.
          absolutely i'm up for this - i ran 33 aces in 2007 - although i didn't start till feb so didn't manage one every month. first race in jan is a 5k on the 8th
            DC Road Runners puts on a 3k race at noon the third wednesday of every month, and it's right by my work, so I plan on doing that most months next year. I think I can manage to get a race every month even if I miss that one once or twice. So I'm in!

sean

#artbydmcbride

I'm definitely in. Big grin We don't have to limit ourselves to only one per month do we?

Runners run

I'm in. Smile Will decide soon whther my first race will be "Fred Lebow" or Manhattan Half.
                I'm condemned by a society that demands success when all I can offer is failure. -Max Bialystock
                Wingz

Professional Noob

Hi PoQ, There is a RA group that does this: Virtual Racers.
                  Yes! When y'all race, please be sure to enter your times in the Virtual Races. Dave put a lot of time in putting that page together and it needs entrants to keep it running. I'd put my race in for this month, but it was a 7 miler... and we don't have enough 7-miler races to make a special division... Then again... I might actually place... Evil grin Big grin

Roads were made for journeys...

I'll probably accomplish that. I usually run 20-25 or more but in 2007 I only ran 18. I tried to race less but race better and I had a very successful year. One race a month is a very good target. Races are good speedwork and the comraderie and atmosphere both serve to increase your MOJO. I'm registered for a 5 miler on 01/01/2008 and the Myrtle Beach Bi-Lo Marathon on 02/16/2008 so those will be my first two events.

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Think Whirled Peas

I'm definitely in. Big grin We don't have to limit ourselves to only one per month do we?
                      No way! Feel free to run more than one, this is just minimum. Thanks VA for the link! I'll probably still post a thread in here once a month.

Thanks VA for the link! I'll probably still post a thread in here once a month.
                        Q, I may plan a trip to your 'hood sometime in 2008 and race with you and/or rvelich and visit my brother. I wanted to run the Bayshore in May while on our way to the UP but I'm shifting away from marathons in 2008 after the Bi-Lo. It would be fun to hook up, especially at a race. Maybe the Dexter-Ann Arbor 13.1 or that 5 mile trail race at ????? (can't recall).

At the end of the day, be happy with where you are and what you've accomplished.

Q, I did a race a month in my first year running (2000). It was a great idea. I met a lot of terrific people and it kept me motivated to keep running. My schedule is tough now with work and three teenage kids, but, what the heck, I'm in. If I don't make every month, what happens? Do I get fined? expelled from RA?

#artbydmcbride

Smile I've completed my December races, The Make Room for Santa 5K and the Christmas Tree Run 5 miler.

Runners run

Think Whirled Peas

Q, I may plan a trip to your 'hood sometime in 2008 and race with you and/or rvelich and visit my brother. I wanted to run the Bayshore in May while on our way to the UP but I'm shifting away from marathons in 2008 after the Bi-Lo. It would be fun to hook up, especially at a race. Maybe the Dexter-Ann Arbor 13.1 or that 5 mile trail race at ????? (can't recall).
                              Excellent Ray! I've only got a couple of races pegged down so far for 2008. I'm looking at late June race in Muskegon (West SIDE) for the Chronicle Seaway Run 15k, a HM in Lansing in Sept. and the Grand Rapids Marathon. Obviously, to make the "one race a month" minimum, I'm scoping others out yet. I missed the CRIM race in Flint in 2007. There's a 10 miler there (among others, 8 mile and 5k, methinks), and I understand it's a great race. Lemmeknow if/when you're heading in this direction and I'll see about making it out too! There are a ton of trail races out my way, so I'm not sure which one you're thinking of.

Think Whirled Peas

Q, I did a race a month in my first year running (2000). It was a great idea. I met a lot of terrific people and it kept me motivated to keep running. My schedule is tough now with work and three teenage kids, but, what the heck, I'm in. If I don't make every month, what happens? Do I get fined? expelled from RA?
                                Methinks a doubling up of races for the following month will suffice as "punishment". That, and a tall, cold one for each runner that managed a race the month you missed? Meh, that's just wishful thinking on my part!