Cubed Ham/Bacon (Read 415 times)

Carbs and Cabernet

We're still talking about chicken, right…?

Can we agree to place some kind of chuckle alert before the actual post? Some of us are at work, you know.

Get a ham steak, seriously.

1. Go to store. Buy ham steak.

2. Return home. Unwrap ham steak, cut into appropriately sized squares.

The end. (Oh, actually, you'll have extra ham steak, so make a big fat sandwich.)

There ya go.

A list of my PRs in a misguided attempt to impress people that do not care.

The chicken fajita failing seemed to be that I couldn't...what's the best way to put this...I couldn't get the chicken breast to stay still enough for me to get any precision on the cuts.  Kept rolling around when I'd press down with the knife

You can use your other hand to hold the breast, ya know? Wink I second partially freezing the meat for easier cutting.

I've also used country smoked ham pieces in recipes to substitute for ham/bacon.
        xhristopher

Whoah, you are going too fast!

If you are new to cooking you should start smaller and build no more than 10% per week. Soon you will be 20% better. I recommend beginning with easy stuff and getting a grasp on fundamentals before progressing to cooking sessions that could injure you without having built the proper base.

Joann Y

If you are new to cooking you should start smaller and build no more than 10% per week. Soon you will be 20% better. I recommend beginning with easy stuff and getting a grasp on fundamentals before progressing to cooking sessions that could injure you without having built the proper base.

++1

catwhoorg

Labrat

Publix has cubed ham available.

I see it every week when we are in there.

But yeah I'd be cubing it myself.

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I would pull out my kitchen shears and cut  the bacon into 1/2  inch pieces,  then fry.  Not cubes,  strictly speaking,  but small,,  flavorful bits.

L Train

To avoid making a mess I place the breast between two peices of saran wrap.

To google image search or not to google image search.  Hmm.

L Train

You can use your other hand to hold the breast, ya know?

Good grief, a day full of dilemmas.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

But I don't even feel tired after cooking rice, and steaming broccoli!  My plan is to just keep going at the same rate for longer and longer, until bam!  Duck shepherd's pie.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

As I'm reading this, I am eating black beans and rice with bacon that fits that exact measurement.

Got it from this place, which has more than its name suggests. Mmmmm.

You could try to find a roll of uncut pancetta, which makes most regular bacon cry.

That's all I got.

You could try to find a roll of uncut pancetta, which makes most regular bacon cry.

They also sell diced pancetta at some stores.  Usually only 1/4" per side so it may not measure up to your requirements.   

dennrunner

Like I said, people, I'm pretty new to cooking.  Undecided

My first thought when I saw that ingredient was that I'd probably do exactly what Gville Kevin said, then I remembered my experience cutting up a raw chicken breast into strips for fajitas awhile back.  Believe it or not, it did not go well, so I decided I'd rather buy it already cubed.

The chicken fajita failing seemed to be that I couldn't...what's the best way to put this...I couldn't get the chicken breast to stay still enough for me to get any precision on the cuts.  Kept rolling around when I'd press down with the knife, and I ended up with...well, I ended up with "strips" that were more cubes than strips, so I guess I just need to try my hand at fajita bacon strips.  Which doesn't sound too bad, actually.

I could be that the knife wasn't sharp enough, but I dunno...I don't know what metric I could use to describe sharpness, but it's my sharpest knife.

The chicken is supposed to be dead before you start cutting it into pieces.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

But I don't even feel tired after cooking rice, and steaming broccoli!  My plan is to just keep going at the same rate for longer and longer, until bam!  Duck shepherd's pie.

Are you using GPS or cooking by feel?

mikeymike

Are you using GPS or cooking by feel?

False dichotomy.

Runners run