Cubed Ham/Bacon (Read 415 times)

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

This bit of brilliance seems to have been overlooked.  Kitchen shears are your best friend.  I use them for cubing chicken and beef, and they are awesome for cutting bacon (even easier if you throw it in the freezer for a little while.  You want firm, not frozen.)  Much, much, easier than using a knife.  And they easily come apart into two pieces for washing..

I like you! Smile

I want to try a recipe that calls for "4 ounces slab bacon or smoked ham, cubed."

perhaps i missed a post, but did you ultimately manage to cube that ham?

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

perhaps i missed a post, but did you ultimately manage to cube that ham?

The ham remains uncubed.

...but not due to my incompetence this time...my schedule just got super-busy, and I've barely had time to heat up soup for dinner, let alone put something together myself.  Christmas break is here in 2 hrs., 40 mins., though, so maybe soon!

I will say, I'll likely go the bacon route, mainly because my wife does not like ham.  Bacon's okay, though.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

The ham remains uncubed. 

You could try to find a roll of uncut pancetta, which makes most regular bacon cry.

top advice, but if time's a premium, get a chorizo (ring & dice or slices) and fry for a few mins over a medium/high heat (additional bonus of not needing any oil to cook).

anyhoos, ham on!

My leg won't stop mooing.

i think i've got a calf injury.

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

kofiluddin

well...spam is canned ham

Since it's been resurrected, has the ham been cubed?

SheCan

I thought it had something to do with Kevin Bacon.

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Not yet.  A process this complicated, I'm going to need to wait until summer vacation, I think.

Though I did finally get around to sharpening my knife.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

A Saucy Wench

But now, every time i go to the grocery, I notice the little bags of cubed ham there. Never noticed them before this thread

I have become Death, the destroyer of electronic gadgets

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - dd, age 7

xhristopher

This Easter we have lots of leftover ham. Perhaps I'll cube some of it.

I pre-cubed and froze some extra ham for future cubed ham usage.  Haven't read this entire thread yet... Was I supposed to use kitchen shears?  It did get a little tiresome using the knife so much...

Kalsarikännit

This is definitely one of those threads that requires pictures.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

#artbydmcbride

Runners run

I admit, I was pretty cocky rolling out the cubing advice early on in this thread - but yesterday I had to youtube how to carve a ham. The same woman showed up in three different videos showing three different ways, and each time telling me "this is the right way to carve a ham". And that bastage Curtis Stone was no help either. In the end, I hacked it up good. Everyone got served ham, though. And it was delicious.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                                We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes