Race Medals --- Why? (Read 692 times)

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

For Pete's sake, of all the things to gripe about...so then DONATE your medals! Make someone's day. While Medals4mettle is probably the most famous charity, there are others, including Medals of Courage, the random guy in the picture below thought it was an ok idea...

http://lomalindahealth.org/childrens-hospital/about-us/foundation/medals-of-courage/index.page

Man, that must be a random guy.  Skechers?!!  How bad do you have to be to have Skechers endorsing you?

Wink

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

It is all a matter of opinion, but I love to know that I put in the work, sacrifice, sweat, (and sometimes blood), to prepare and train.

And snot.  Lots of snot goes into my training.

Carry on.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

Feeling the growl again

"Events" have their place, I guess, but "a bunch of people who happen to be running racing on the same day" is the heart and soul of the sport imo.

Well said.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

delicate flower

I like the medals because I like collecting the momentos.  That, and I like free shit.  Now whether or not a race offers a finisher's medal has no bearing on whether or not I choose that race.

<3

joescott

For Pete's sake, of all the things to gripe about...so then DONATE your medals! Make someone's day. While Medals4mettle is probably the most famous charity, there are others, including Medals of Courage, the random guy in the picture below thought it was an ok idea...

http://lomalindahealth.org/childrens-hospital/about-us/foundation/medals-of-courage/index.page

Although I'm sure this random schlub has a few medals to donate, I'm betting the farm that he's not donating that one with the 5 interlocking circles on the ribbon....

- Joe

We are fragile creatures on collision with our judgment day.

ultramarathon/triathlete

As for me, I get tired of people telling me how good looking I am, but you know, I deal with it.

I never get tired of that.    Joking

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
              Gatorade Endurance Team

xhristopher

Although I'm sure this random schlub has a few medals to donate, I'm betting the farm that he's not donating that one with the 5 interlocking circles on the ribbon....

They only had three finishers medals on offer for that race. First come first served.

#artbydmcbride

Yeah, who came up with the only top three?  Why not top five!?

Runners run

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Yeah, who came up with the only top three?  Why not top five!?

I'm sure #4 and #5 were proud to have finished, and would like to be recognized for their accomplishments, but isn't that an example of 3rd grading of America?

Will run for scenery.

On Saturday, I just finished my very first marathon, a high-altitude trail marathon in Leadville, CO.  I hadn't paid attention to the pre-race blurb but it turns out there was no medal.  I crossed the finish line and a girl was holding a cup.  "Am I supposed to spit in it ?", "Do you want my timing chip?" She had to explain to me : "No, this is your mug! Your finisher's mug!" TBH, it is very nice, and now I can HumbleBrag with every coffee I drink at work, but I was a little sad.  Somehow having such a cute and enthusiastic girl put a (meaningless, resource-intensive, tawdry and useless) medal around my neck would have meant  more to me.  But OTOH, other people were just looking to get home ASAP.  No big deal.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Even some of the smaller 5K's - I mean less than 100 people - are giving out finishing medals.

I kind of bridge both generations with this.  On the one hand, I value my age group awards because they're usually hard to get....was much harder when I was younger and faster.  I think my high school awards are still in a box somewhere.  But there are so many races now and the competition is so watered down I think I win age group awards 3 out of every 4 races even being fat and slow.

On the other hand, I'm sure my wife would love a medal if she ever followed through and finished a race.  It would be an accomplishment for her.  So would my young son.  At least many of the races now give you an option on T-shirts - I guess they can't for medals but you could always refuse it at the finish line or recycle as others have posted.

Unique gifts for finishing races are cool.  I don't mind the t-shirts because as others have already said I like free shit.  Just make sure there are size XXL, please.

TJN

S Army Kettle run...

I've done a couple fulls that only gave out "finishers" tee shirts which makes me wear that shirt for something other than just crawling around out in the garage.  When I see someone else wearing that shirt, I also know what they had to do to get it. 

The last half I did had a "cyber goodie bag" which was interesting.  Nothing to throw away.  They sent  you an e-mail with links to a number of sites ... some just informational for other local races ... some to vendors for the 25% off type stuff ... I actually broke down and bought something.

I keep the half and full medals ...they are usually painful enough that I want to keep them.

Tim 

AmoresPerros

Options,Account, Forums

They only had three finishers medals on offer for that race. First come first served.

What would they do if they had a tie for third place?

It's a 5k. It hurt like hell...then I tried to pick it up. The end.

catwhoorg

Labrat

They on occasion do award duplicate medals for dead heats.

See the comments above the table here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2008_Summer_Olympics_medal_table

5K  20:23  (Vdot 48.7)   9/9/17

10K  44:06  (Vdot 46.3)  3/11/17

HM 1:33:48 (Vdot 48.6) 11/11/17

FM 4:13:43 (Vdot 35.4) 3/4/18

As for translating this into running, for many, a 5k is a serious challenge. For others, it is a walk in the park. I actually felt discouraged because I did not get a medal after last weekends race, (as weird as that sounds,) I took 91st place out of 396, and it was the HARDEST race I have ever ran. I really wanted a momento. But, they got rid of the medals, because of the complaints from those who didn't want them, last year.

It is all a matter of opinion, but I love to know that I put in the work, sacrifice, sweat, (and sometimes blood), to prepare and train. It is very inspiring to post that picture on facebook, with a medal around my neck. I have had friends start to race, because of accomplishments I have made. To me, that is the most important part of any sport. A stack of medals / trophies hanging on the wall, also reminds me of where I began and how far I have come.

You had the race bib, right?  And that thing has street cred: it ends up looking like it worked as hard as you had.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau