Garmin Express Fit wifi upload is a flaming pile of crap (Read 214 times)

delicate flower

Or is it just me?

I've had my 620 for about six months now.  I'd say the automatic wifi upload to Garmin Connect works a solid 27% of the time.  When that doesn't work, sometimes I'll get lucky and pressing the connect button on the device will do the trick.  The rest of the time I'll need to connect the device to my laptop using the cord and upload that way, which of course defeats the purpose of wireless wifi uploads.

Sometimes I'll go through the Express Fit wifi setup procedures again, disconnect the wifi, and set it up again.  That'll help for about three uploads, then it's back to not working.  And the failure rate is 100% following any software update they push to my device.  What the hell.  I almost never had a problem with the Ant stick on my 610.

Anyone else with a 620 having any problems?  Or do I just suck at technology?

<3

Thread title: GROSS. I was actually eating when I read that.

"If you have the fire, run..." -John Climacus

an amazing likeness

Thread title: GROSS. I was actually eating when I read that.

Be sure to post your finish face for us...!

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Mysecondnewname

Or is it just me?

I've had my 620 for about six months now.  I'd say the automatic wifi upload to Garmin Connect works a solid 27% of the time.  When that doesn't work, sometimes I'll get lucky and pressing the connect button on the device will do the trick.  The rest of the time I'll need to connect the device to my laptop using the cord and upload that way, which of course defeats the purpose of wireless wifi uploads.

Sometimes I'll go through the Express Fit wifi setup procedures again, disconnect the wifi, and set it up again.  That'll help for about three uploads, then it's back to not working.  And the failure rate is 100% following any software update they push to my device.  What the hell.  I almost never had a problem with the Ant stick on my 610.

Anyone else with a 620 having any problems?  Or do I just suck at technology?

I haven't had a problem directly uploading directly with Wifi (once I changed the channel of my router, as well as enabling "g").

Could it be possibly be router specific?  What make/model router do you have?

Replying mainly to get this thread title back on the Recent Topics list.

But also to comment that I am glad to see the newer/more expensive/fancier Garmins do not have much better reliability uploading data than my 210 with the notorious clip connector. It probably takes me on average 6 tries (connect, wait, disconnect, repeat) to get the computer to recognize it, so 16.7% success rate. The other day it actually worked on the first try, and I very nearly disconnected it just out of habit.

Dave

bobinpittsburgh

Lord of the Manor

My 310xt is completely useless, as that ANT+ stick no longer recognizes it, and I have been unable to do anything to make it work.  Worse, Amazon will not take it back because the problem didn't manifest itself until I had the thing for three months.

If I could make a wish I think I'd pass

delicate flower

I haven't had a problem directly uploading directly with Wifi (once I changed the channel of my router, as well as enabling "g").

No idea what router we have.  DW is the IS help desk of the house.  We have all sorts of devices connected to our wifi though and my 620 is the only one that seems to have problems. 

Dave, fortunately I have 100% success rate when I use the cable.  So far, anyway.

<3

Dave, fortunately I have 100% success rate when I use the cable.  So far, anyway.

Yeah, so did I, for the first few months....

Dave

bap

Have you called Garmin? They're very helpful on the phone, though useless when you contact them through their website.

Certified Running Coach
                    Crocked since 2013

Dreamn

Mine works perfectly fine. Since they updated the app 2 months ago, I've been using the Bluetooth upload which never fails.

not lazy, just tired

Mine worked fine to begin with, but lately I've been having the same problem. Sometime works when I push the button, other times I get a network error message. I have to use the cord to upload to RA anyway, so I haven't been motivated to call Garmin. I keep hoping an update will fix it.

Not if it makes sense.

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

Right there with you, Baboon.  I've pretty much given up on the Wifi features of the 620 for now.  I just connect it via cable when I get back from the run.  I have to do that anyway, to upload it to RA.  Like you, every once in awhile I'll be pleasantly surprised to find it's uploaded to Garmin Connect automatically, but I consider that to be what I call "gravy."

I've seen this solution posted elsewhere, on Garmin's forums, I think, but the problem is, I'm not sure how to change the channel of my router or enable "g," and I imagine if I did change the channel, I'd have to reconfigure the laptops, phones, iPads, and printers that use the Wifi just fine.  Not worth it.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

runnerclay

Consistently Slow

75% sure when my 405 makes its transition I will not get another Garmin.

Run until the trail runs out.

SCHEDULE 2016--

The pain that hurts the worse is the imagined pain. One of the most difficult arts of racing is learning to ignore the imagined pain and just live with the present pain (which is always bearable.) - Jeff

unsolicited chatter

http://bkclay.blogspot.com/

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

75% sure when my 405 makes its transition I will not get another Garmin.

I don't think I'm quite to that point.  The WiFi issue is troubling, and there is another issue I'm experiencing where it will randomly turn off, then on again after it's gone back into "watch mode" after a run (but never during a run, or I would absolutely be to "that point"), but I'm otherwise quite happy with the watch, as I have been with all the Garmins I've owned.

I did experience a brief twinge of jealousy when I saw this guy on Runner's World's website.  Kickstarter project, company by the name of Leikr.  Though the "Minor Annoyances" listed would certainly live up to that heading, that map display is exactly what I've needed on many a run.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

BeeRunB

I was hoping this was a euphemism thread.