Smokers (Read 973 times)

xhristopher

It's not an infrequent occurrence during the winter to go for a run and pass through a cloud of pot smoke coming from someone's house or whatever. Something about the cold, crisp, still air makes it linger.

It doesn't bother me at all.

Kalsarikännit

"I'm getting chicked by HER???"

Heh.  I was chicking no one back then.  I hate to think about all the damage that I must have incurred over those years.  I would never go back to working in those conditions.  There are still plenty of states where smoking is permitted in restaurants and bars.  Everybody talks about how the patrons feel about smoking bans, but no one brings up that there are people trying to support families that  can't just quit their jobs and find new ones, that have to breathe that shit in for 40 hours a week.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

It seems to smell worse when it's raining out.  Don't know why.

For me, if there is someone driving in front of me smoking a cig, I can actually smell it.

The only time it really bothers me, though, is when it sort of mixes with someone's BO. 

There are three women who stand outside the door at our office and take smoke breaks.  I feel bad for them, they're treated like pariahs.  I always smile to them when some others act nasty, wave their hands to make the smoke go away, clearly trying to make some passive aggressive statement.

But, ultimately, they're the ones that could end that if they quit.

One place I worked at used to have a little "room" outside the door for smokers to stand to keep a little warm, dry, etc.  It had translucent white walls that let light through.  Well, after about a year, it was no longer white, but a nasty dark yellow color.

Jeff

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

One place I worked at used to have a little "room" outside the door for smokers to stand to keep a little warm, dry, etc.  It had translucent white walls that let light through.  Well, after about a year, it was no longer white, but a nasty dark yellow color.

I used to work for a company that had 2 separate break rooms separated by a window.  The non-smoking room was pristine white.  The smoking room was grayish yellow.  It always reminded me of those detergent ads showing a white sock washed with the advertised detergent and the dingy one that was washed with the competition.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Am I doing this right?

Two of my dad's famous sayings, after he quit: "Smokers are the most inconsiderate people on earth." and "There's no one as sanctimonious as a reformed whore."

Ha!  +1

No excuses....

BeeRunB

Do smokers have any idea how nasty they smell?

And how on earth does their smell linger so long?  This woman just came into my office, and did not touch anything, and the place still smells like her and she was here for 3 minutes, 45 minutes ago.      

I don't think so. But they do when they quit. Nasty, tough addiction.

Feeling the growl again

We worked on lung cancer treatments....we had a conference room nicknamed "the smoking room" because outside the window was where all the people in the building who smoked went to light up.  Many of them worked on lung cancer treatments too.

I used to work in a major academic cancer center.  Smoking on the premesis was prohibited so in the winter you could look across the road and see a lot of docs and nurses out there freezing and and puffing away before they went back to treating cancer patients and/or people with smoking-related heart disease.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

DoppleBock

I find drinkers can really smell too

Wholistic types who do not believe in deoderant or only natural deoderant ~ smell can linger as long and be more offensive

The worst for me is when people come in the morning with too heavy of perfume on.  The chemicals of the perfume burn my nose and make it run.  I end up with a headache most the rest of the day.

Close to that are people that make highly odiferous food in the office microwave - Right by my desk or eat smelly fod at their desk.

I find the BO, Perfume and Food often much more offensive than smoke. 

And how on earth does their smell linger so long?  This woman just came into my office, and did not touch anything, and the place still smells like her and she was here for 3 minutes, 45 minutes ago.      

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

DoppleBock

Agreed ~ Quit in 1999 after 1 year of loving to smoke and 11 years of trying to quit.  I actually believe the body is an amazing thing.  If someone were to smoke say 1 or maybe 2 cirgerettes per day max - It could probably keep up with clearing the posions and toxins out of the body.  I can not only have 1 ~ funny thing is when I smell smoke I long for the feeling, the rush of that 1st drag of the day.  I could start smoking a pack-a-day today if I let that 1 happen. 

I don't think so. But they do when they quit. Nasty, tough addiction.

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Why is it sideways?

This guy, Jonathan Haidt, has done some really interesting stuff on the emotion of disgust and how it is linked to moral judgment.

Prince of Fatness

I do not think so.  We have a woman here at work.  I call her the perfume lady.  I have arrived at the office several minutes after her and knew that she was there because I smelled the perfume.  This was outside of the building!  She smokes.  I think that the smoking has deadened her sense of smell.  My wife complains about several women who reek of perfume at her office.  Almost all of them smoke.

Not at it at all. 

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I used to work in a major academic cancer center.  Smoking on the premesis was prohibited so in the winter you could look across the road and see a lot of docs and nurses out there freezing and and puffing away before they went back to treating cancer patients and/or people with smoking-related heart disease.

It is one helluva addiction.  A dear friend of mine watched her RN mother die of lung cancer from smoking.  Said friend was herself a smoker and had both breasts completely removed after developing cancer in one (she was diagnosed just months before her mother died).  This was several years ago.  I think she has FINALLY kicked the habit while using Chantix after so many unsuccessful tries.  My dad didn't quit until after suffering a stroke several years ago on Easter...while at my sister's house.  Knowing that his young grandsons saw the ambulance take grandpa away to the hospital was the big wake-up, more than the stroke, itself.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

Feeling the growl again

It is one helluva addiction.  

Yes, I have respect for those who successfully quit, it is hard enough for me to completely abandon beer in pursuit of quicker weight loss.

This is one case where I am glad I don't buy into the whole "don't knock it until you've tried it" mantra.

"If you want to be a bad a$s, then do what a bad a$s does.  There's your pep talk for today.  Go Run." -- Slo_Hand

I am spaniel - Crusher of Treadmills

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

I feel the same way about perfume.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

ultramarathon/triathlete

I can't imagine what the other runners were thinking.

On a related note, 

Last night my wife and I went on a run in the park.  There is one side of our park that verrrry often smells like the mad reefer.  We must have been running REALLY close to the smoker because, man, it was STRONG.  We both stopped whatever we were talking about and laugh and commented about it.

Just then, another run sped past us, must have smelled it too and turned around and gave us the biggest death stare.  I think he thought we were running and smoking pot hahahaha.  We did not see the smoker anywhere, but still, do you really think people are going to be out for a run and smoking up?  hahahaha 

HTFU?  Why not!

USATF Coach

Empire Tri Club Coach
                                Gatorade Endurance Team