Smokers (Read 973 times)

Why is it sideways?

I always wondered how people could so obviously embrace the outdoors and physical activity, yet smoke seemingly at every opportunity. Confused

I don't think it's a contradiction. They enjoy smoking; they enjoy being outdoors. Therefore, they enjoy smoking outdoors.

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where driving a big gasoline powered car around is considered inconsiderate of the environment of others. Not only are they smelly, they can smack you hard if you aren't looking or being careful. Not to mention the fact that they require paving over just about everything in sight. Plus they cause everything to be so spread out that a human being can't get his essential things done in a human way, on his own two legs.

TeaOlive

old woman w/hobby

I always wondered how people could so obviously embrace the outdoors and physical activity, yet smoke seemingly at every opportunity. Confused

As an ex smoker I can only say that an addict is an addict.

MTA:  Also, in the past in the US and still today in many places in the world, smoking in public was / is considered

perfectly acceptable.  

steph  

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

One could conclude from this thread that logic does not come into play with regard to an addiction.

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I wonder if we will ever get to the point where driving a big gasoline powered car around is considered inconsiderate of the environment of others. Not only are they smelly, they can smack you hard if you aren't looking or being careful. Not to mention the fact that they require paving over just about everything in sight. Plus they cause everything to be so spread out that a human being can't get his essential things done in a human way, on his own two legs.

I was about to start an "avoiding fumes while running" thread.  Well, I guess I still will.  What you're saying goes a whole lot further, though.

Kalsarikännit

On smoking: I made DH quit 4 years ago 

This is one that never stops confusing me.  When I see a non-smoker married or dating a smoker it always strikes me as weird.  You see it in considerably  older couples, but no so much in younger couples.  Smokers tend to be with smokers and non-smokers with non-smokers.

For me this is an absolute deal breaker when dating.  The person may be the greatest guy on earth but he is not getting a shot.  When I am talking to smokers about dating a lot of them seem surprised that so most non-smokers consider them undateable.  I've had smokers tell me that they think it is superficial on my part.  I don't care.

I want to do it because I want to do it.  -Amelia Earhart

L Train

I don't care.

Do you only date guys with big feet?

#artbydmcbride

Do you only date guys with big feet?

Well, you know what they say.........

Runners run

Kalsarikännit

What Ilene said.  Big grin

For me this is an absolute deal breaker when dating. 

When I was dating I didn't have the standing to attach pre-conditions. Getting to Yes was a win.

BeeRunB

According to some things I have seen (like The Insider), the cigarettes are laced with chemicals to make sure the nicotine hits your brain quicker with more impact---I believe this is what addicts people so badly. I know people who have had mega bypasses and they still go back to smoking. 

This is one that never stops confusing me.  When I see a non-smoker married or dating a smoker it always strikes me as weird.  You see it in considerably  older couples, but no so much in younger couples.  Smokers tend to be with smokers and non-smokers with non-smokers.

For me this is an absolute deal breaker when dating.  The person may be the greatest guy on earth but he is not getting a shot.  When I am talking to smokers about dating a lot of them seem surprised that so most non-smokers consider them undateable.  I've had smokers tell me that they think it is superficial on my part.  I don't care.

A deal breaker, eh?

Well, I can say that my DW was a smoker when I met her, a smoker when I married her, and quit on her own like 20 years ago.  If I had not even considered her, just because she smoked, well, life for me would have been totally different.  And probably not as good as it has been the last 25 years or so.

Perhaps there is something a little deeper to be found in a person that can't be based on whether they smoke or not.

Jeff

Prince of Fatness

What about farters?

Not at it at all. 

Kalsarikännit

Perhaps there is something a little deeper to be found in a person that can't be based on whether they smoke or not.

I don't think so.  It is a deal breaker for two reasons:  The smokers I see tend to lead a radically different life than I do.  It is more than the smoking.  If they smoke I think there is a general lack of concern for their health.  This applies to areas such as food and exercise as well.  Where is the compatibility between someone who smokes and someone who works out or runs daily?  If you find someone who does not treat themselves very well you find out that they do not understand or respect the schedule or sacrifices that a runner has to make.

The other thing is, as the OP pointed out, they smell bad.  I'll also call a lack of personal hygiene a deal breaker.   I wouldn't say wanting to date someone that smells good as being superficial.

I don't think so.

OK, one person's opinion I guess.

But, not mine.

Jeff

L Train

Not that it matters much, but I'm with Ms. Clown Feet on this one.  Dating by definition is a filtering process.  Sure you could miss opportunities by applying such filters but you have to start somewhere.  Imagine being WG and having to sort through the mob scene of her dating life.