WORLD WAR Z - Outrun a Zombie (Read 206 times)

CT JEFF

World War Z starts tonight. How long could you last at home? How many zombies could you neutralize? How far / fast could you run?

There are some movies that portray a "Fast Zombie" usually one that burns out fast, but not always. I AM LEGEND with Will Smith and Resident Evil, have some fast zombies. But most zombie portrayals are of a 2-3mph lumbering, aimless stride. When prey is close, or making noise this often increases in focus and speed, but probably not much more than 4mph.

I have thought about this scenario and would love more feedback. It seems there are several factors to "outrunning" a zombie.

(1) - and this is a big one - # of zombies in the area

(2) - how open is the area (can you choose any of 360 degrees?)

(3) - how long can you run self-supported?

(4) - how long could you run if you had to run right this second - (no time to change clothes or fill your water bottle)

To me, the biggest factor seems to be the concentration of zombies. If they collect behind you, that route is closed off, and you have to outrun not only those behind you, but those converging on your location. So many factors !  Thoughts?

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

Who's runnin'? I'm locked and loaded.

Get off my porch

RunJasonRun

I just got home and wrote a quick review of World War Z on my Facebook wall.   Here ya go...

World War Z does not share a lot of common ground with the 2006 Max Brooks novel from which it is based, but it is still an impressive movie on its own terms.

Hardcore fans of zombie movies may be turned off the the PG-13 rating of World War Z, but this movie is better off for replacing visceral violence with multiple doses of urgent nail-biting tension. The zombies in World War Z are not the slow flesh-eating zombies that amble around in countless other contemporary films. Instead, these zombies storm the scene en masse, bite their victims, and then run to the next victims in order to deliver the virus as quickly and efficiently as possible, while each infected victim turns into a zombie during an abrupt transformation that only lasts a few seconds. The early scenes that depict crowded city streets being overrun by zombies within minutes are quite disturbing and mesmerizing. I, for one, love how World War Z is more concerned with the global dynamics of a doomsday epidemic scenario and how it has more in common with films like Outbreak or Contagion than it does with its zombie movie counterparts. Most of you have seen the previews with the zombies forming a massive human ladder to scale a city wall in Jerusalem, but you haven't seen what happens when the zombies actually get into the city. These scenes make for some unsettling food for thought.

Brad Pitt has an entertaining lead role as a former United Nations investigator who is brought back into the fold to weather countless action sequences, battles, zombie attacks, and even vehicle crashes. His character makes me think of the intelligent, but action-oriented scientist heroes of 1950s science fiction movies. In fact, World War Z reminds me of those old-school science fiction movies in quite a few ways, with its lightning-fast pacing and its earnest approach that helps us overlook any plot holes.

I heartily recommend World War Z if you are looking for a fun popcorn movie that flies by without blinking. This is not a great movie by any stretch, but it's a solid summer flick.

Nobody leaves this place without singing the blues.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

I haven't read the book, but my DH and DS have read and reread multiple times.  We all liked it.  The scenes with waves of zombies were really impressive on the big screen.  They reminded me of nature documentaries with carnivorous ants.  I thought Pitt was well cast.

Getting the wind knocked out of you is the only way to

remind your lungs how much they like the taste of air.    

~ Sarah Kay

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Heh...and my 12 year old kid has decided that he wants a Dalek in a zombie apocalypse.  Uber-nerd in the making!

~ Sarah Kay

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

Doesn't matter how fast or long you can run if you live in a city: zombie infection simulator.

Loved the book.  Looking forward to the movie . . . on DVD.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do

kaleidoscopeEyes

I am not a zombie expert.  I have not watched/read World War Z and my zombie knowledge is limited to The Walking Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, and that one Cranberries song.

But I have given this some thought.

I am assuming that zombies can't swim and are not smart enough to row a boat.  Therefore, I think the answer is to get to a deserted island and clear it if necessary.  I am in the NJ/NY area and would have my sights set on North/South Brother Island.  Maybe Hart Island.

Or, maybe live on a boat in the middle of a bay.

Or, we'll have to kick it Waterworld style and build atoll cities in the middle of the ocean and survive on fish and our purified urine.

Docket_Rocket

They were also fast!  Not sure I could outrun one of those.

I have never read the book but I liked the movie.

I haven't read the book, but my DH and DS have read and reread multiple times.  We all liked it.  The scenes with waves of zombies were really impressive on the big screen.  They reminded me of nature documentaries with carnivorous ants.  I thought Pitt was well cast.

Damaris

As part of the 2024 London Marathon, I am fundraising for VICTA, a charity that helps blind and visually impaired children. My mentor while in law school, Jim K (a blind attorney), has been a huge inspiration and an example of courage and perseverance. Please consider donating.

Fundraising Page

CT JEFF

I am not a zombie expert.  I have not watched/read World War Z and my zombie knowledge is limited to The Walking Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, 28 Days Later, and that one Cranberries song.

But I have given this some thought.

I am assuming that zombies can't swim and are not smart enough to row a boat.  Therefore, I think the answer is to get to a deserted island and clear it if necessary.  I am in the NJ/NY area and would have my sights set on North/South Brother Island.  Maybe Hart Island.

Or, maybe live on a boat in the middle of a bay.

Or, we'll have to kick it Waterworld style and build atoll cities in the middle of the ocean and survive on fish and our purified urine.

Mel Brooks in The Zombie Survial Guide, as well as the author of World War Z - gives the scenario where zombies cant swim, but they dont die in the water either. Basically he has them pulling down boats or climbing up the anchor line. As well as coming out of rivers and lakes and oceans after extended periods of time. Mel also gives the scenario (and this seems pretty likely) that all the good ideas we have, everyone else is going to have too. So, you not only are fighting off the Z's but your neighbors and everyone else. Some of the most strategically sound locations in the WWZ book are overrun with humans, not zombies.

Just another thing to think about. -

RUN SAFE.     Barefoot 1st: 6/9/13. PR: 5k=22:50 10k=47:46 HM 1:51. FM 4:28 Oct 2015 joined RUN 169!

CT JEFF

They were also fast!  Not sure I could outrun one of those.

I have never read the book but I liked the movie.

I still havent gotten the chance to see it yet, but have read some reviews about the speed of the Z's and the virus transmission rate.

With fast zombies, I think the strategy would be to hide and pray. With a stronger empasis on the former if living in a city.

zoom-zoom

rectumdamnnearkilledem

Mel Brooks in The Zombie Survial Guide, as well as the author of World War Z - gives the scenario where zombies cant swim, but they dont die in the water either. Basically he has them pulling down boats or climbing up the anchor line. As well as coming out of rivers and lakes and oceans after extended periods of time. Mel also gives the scenario (and this seems pretty likely) that all the good ideas we have, everyone else is going to have too. So, you not only are fighting off the Z's but your neighbors and everyone else. Some of the most strategically sound locations in the WWZ book are overrun with humans, not zombies.

You mean Max Brooks...Mel is his dad and one of my favorite peeps ever!  Long live Blazing Saddles!!

In Land of the Dead zombies can certainly walk under water...made them extra terrifying and resourceful (for zombies).

~ Sarah Kay

mab411

Proboscis Colossus

You mean Max Brooks...Mel is his dad and one of my favorite peeps ever!  Long live Blazing Saddles!!

Seriously?!  That is awesome.  What a talented family!

I talked about it a little in the Movie Thread, but I can't recommend the book enough, particularly on audiobook (which, I've just learned, is abridged - irritating, since it was advertised as "unabridged" when I pre-ordered, but I'm hooked now).  I'm about 2/3 through, and it amazes me with every chapter at how in-depth it goes, aspects of a "zombie apocalypse" I never would have thought about, different viewpoints from different cultures that make a lot of sense.  There's no way a single movie would do it justice, and it sounds like the movie is only connected in name and zombie volume.  It really needs to be a series...the book is set up as an archivist recording accounts of the "Zombie War" after its conclusion, and it would work well to have an episode for each account.

Anyway, as to the original questions, assuming the zombies retained normal physiological functions - lactate threshold, aerobic threshold, and such (which the ones in Brooks' book don't) - I think I could do well on supply missions, as long as I was careful not to get surrounded, and as long as I had a safe place to get back to.  As it stands, that would have to be somewhere else...we're woefully under-supplied for the long haul here, but we have a handgun and some ammo that could probably get us someplace better.

"God guides us on our journey, but careful with those feet." - David Lee Roth, of all people

kaleidoscopeEyes

Dernit!  My zombie survival vision is crushed.

Zombies coming up out of the water.  Heebie jeebies.

Like Jason Voorhees rising up out of Crystal Lake.

Menace to Sobriety

Dernit!  My zombie survival vision is crushed.

Zombies coming up out of the water.  Heebie jeebies.

Like Jason Voorhees rising up out of Crystal Lake.

They slow down and freeze up in the cold. Plan B: Head North.

Janie, today I quit my job. And then I told my boss to go f*** himself, and then I blackmailed him for almost sixty thousand dollars. Pass the asparagus.

stadjak

Interval Junkie --Nobby

They slow down and freeze up in the cold. Plan B: Head North.

That's tried in the book.  Problem is too many humans, not enough growing season = starved humans.

My favorite snippet of that book is the Battle of Yonkers.

2021 Goals: 50mpw 'cause there's nothing else to do