Injury prone...is running form to blame? (Read 60 times)

OneHurtRunner

Hello, I am a college runner for a nationally ranked Division 2 school. Over the past year I have been bombarded with every kind of injury possible no matter how conservative my training is. As of late I have had excruciating shin splints that WILL NOT get better no matter how I recover. Personally I think the problems are coming from my running form (and how terrible it is). I tried posting an image of my form but I count get it to load. I made a link to one instead. My toes point inward in my back kick. Is this due to an imbalance? Any opinions on what I should work on are appreciated!!

https://tammieolsonphotography.zenfolio.com/knightscrosscountry2016/e4760cd8

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Hard to tell without actually seeing video.

I was CONSTANTLY injured right after college. Three major things helped me:

1) Picked up my cadence. I was always running around 160, but picked it up to 175-180 for easy runs. Faster cadence generally means lighter impact. What's your current cadence?

2) Realized that all of my injuries were in the knee and hips. This made me move to lower drop shoes, since they tend to put more pressure on calves and feet, which were bio-mechanically stronger for me. What drop shoes do you wear, and are your injuries in any consistent area?

3) Leg strengthening work, especially in the hips.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

MoBramExam

kilkee

runktrun

So yeah, that pic is a little...um, wobbly?  Obviously can't make any sort of determination here without video, and even then gait analysis and form are still a bit mysterious, BUT a strength training program focusing on good core control and balance can't hurt.

Glute bridges - double leg and with leg extension

single leg romanian deadlifts

drills like A skips and B skips, bounders, striders

Ankle mobility

See if you can ask a coach to help give you some direction.  If not, runners world's "Iron Strength" videos are kinda fool proof; you can work through them even if you're not well versed in proper form for weight lifting.  The book Anatomy for Runners is very helpful.

Not running for my health, but in spite of it.