Brooks Racer ST replacement? (Read 43 times)

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

HI all - I've been training in the Brooks Racer STs for about the last eight years. Brooks has stopped making them and I'm down to one last unused pair.

So: suggestions for (or experience with) replacements? I believe the Brooks Asteria is supposed to be the replacement model.

What I liked about the Racer ST was the lightness of the shoe combined with that little bit of medial support. I also like the adidas adizero adios for that same reason, but rarely do I see those at less than $140/pair, and right now I churn thru shoes fairly quickly.

Thanks! --Christine

I don't have any good advice, but will be interested to see the responses.

I have always raced in training shoes, and just started looking into something more geared to racing.

I generally wear Brooks, so started there. They have two support models, Asteria ($110) and Neuro ($120). Not sure which one is closer to the ST, but I liked the Neuro a bit better. However I ended up buying the Hyperion (I think basically replacement of T7), which is neutral and the lightest one they make at 6.4 oz ($130). They felt great for a very short tryout at the store, although much less of a shoe than I'm used to. So I'm concerned about longer distances; will have to see how it works out (thank you 90-day return policy).

Dave

SMART Approach

I am looking too. I keep trying to get extra life out of my Brooks T5 racer (my favorite) and a couple Green Silence. I was excited about the Hyperion as I want a racer under 7 oz.  I have a bunion so thought I would go up a 1/2 size to 11.5. I could barely get my foot in the shoe the forefoot was so narrow and I do not have a wide foot. I sent back and now I find I need a size 11.5 in Brooks Ghost 9. Last year I purchased the Saucony A type racer which is very light. I was pumped. Great fit but very firm and lower heel to toe. I pulled a calf in first race with them. I need to be 159 lbs to race in these not 180 lbs. Of course I won't be using those again. Wore one time. For me, for racing, I like a bit more heel which seems to take a bit of stress off calves which I seems to be sensitive to strains.

I am a bit perplexed on running shoe sizing. I wear a size 10 dress shoe which is big. Now I am finding it hard to get in size 11 running shoes. I wore 9-9.5 in HS/college and now up to 11.5. I get the foot flatten a bit over time. I will be in size 13 by the time ai am 70. I think it is best to go to a running specialty store to just try them on. It is tough to order and hope!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

Structured Marathon Adaptive Recovery Training

Safe Muscle Activation Recovery Technique

www.smartapproachtraining.com

SMART Approach

I am looking too. I keep trying to get extra life out of my Brooks T5 racer (my favorite) and a couple Green Silence. I was excited about the Hyperion as I want a racer under 7 oz.  I have a bunion so thought I would go up a 1/2 size to 11.5. I could barely get my foot in the shoe the forefoot was so narrow and I do not have a wide foot. I sent back and now I find I need a size 11.5 in Brooks Ghost 9. Last year I purchased the Saucony A type racer which is very light. I was pumped. Great fit but very firm and lower heel to toe. I pulled a calf in first race with them. I need to be 150 lbs to race in these not 180 lbs. Of course I won't be using those again. Wore one time. For me, for racing, I like a bit more heel which seems to take a bit of stress off calves which as I seem to be sensitive to strains.

I am a bit perplexed on running shoe sizing. I wear a size 10 dress shoe which is big. Now I am finding it hard to get in size 11 running shoes. I wore 9-9.5 in HS/college and now up to 11.5. I get the foot flattens a bit over time. I will be in size 13 by the time I am 70. I think it is best to go to a running specialty store to just try them on. It is tough to order and hope!

Run Coach. Recovery Coach. Founder of SMART Approach Training, Coaching & Recovery

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

Thanks for the responses so far. In looking up the Saucony Type A I came across the Saucony Fastwitch, which looks like a possibility.

I am looking too. I keep trying to get extra life out of my Brooks T5 racer (my favorite) and a couple Green Silence. I was excited about the Hyperion as I want a racer under 7 oz.  I have a bunion so thought I would go up a 1/2 size to 11.5. I could barely get my foot in the shoe the forefoot was so narrow and I do not have a wide foot. I sent back and now I find I need a size 11.5 in Brooks Ghost 9. Last year I purchased the Saucony A type racer which is very light. I was pumped. Great fit but very firm and lower heel to toe. I pulled a calf in first race with them. I need to be 159 lbs to race in these not 180 lbs. Of course I won't be using those again. Wore one time. For me, for racing, I like a bit more heel which seems to take a bit of stress off calves which I seems to be sensitive to strains.

I am a bit perplexed on running shoe sizing. I wear a size 10 dress shoe which is big. Now I am finding it hard to get in size 11 running shoes. I wore 9-9.5 in HS/college and now up to 11.5. I get the foot flatten a bit over time. I will be in size 13 by the time ai am 70. I think it is best to go to a running specialty store to just try them on. It is tough to order and hope!

So I went for my first test run in the Hyperion, and have the same issue as you with narrow forefoot area. I like the shoe otherwise, so hopefully can find something similar with a roomier toebox.

As far as sizing - I am 11 in a regular shoe, and usually go 12.5 in a running shoe. (Maybe didn't help that the Hyperion is not actually available in 12.5, so I got a 12.)

Dave

SMART Approach

This is the shoe I would really like to try for racing as it has wider toe box and light.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/one-25-neutral-running-shoe

My only concern would be the zero drop but maybe I am making too big a deal out of that as I do run in the Kinvara for shorter/quicker training runs without issue.

This is the shoe I would really like to try for racing as it has wider toe box and light.

https://www.altrarunning.com/men/one-25-neutral-running-shoe

My only concern would be the zero drop but maybe I am making too big a deal out of that as I do run in the Kinvara for shorter/quicker training runs without issue.

If you can wear low drop shoes, you might also try the Saucony Fastwitch (4mm drop), very light and supposedly a fairly wide toebox.

BTW, I exchanged the Hyperion for the Asteria, and in fact raced a 10k in them right out of the box. The race was a disaster for other reasons, but the shoes felt pretty good.

Dave

ch17

It's Tuesday every day

So, I ended up ordering five pairs of shoes (my online retailer is good about returns):

Brooks Asteria (in two sizes)

Saucony Fastwitch (in two sizes)

Men's adidas adizero adios, size 7 - the women's size 8s remain stubbornly at $139 (or unavailable), but maybe these will work

So, I'll try 'em all on, keep any that fit and return the rest. (I only try them on in my carpeted condo so I can return them in new condition.)

--Christine

I'm a part time running instructor and sales associate at a local running specialty store in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

A couple options you may like in the future that are similar:

New Balance Zante

New Balance 1400 V4

Saucony Kinvara

Adidas Adizero (I know you wrote about them, my GF races in these and loves them)

Just a couple options for you to check out!

So, I ended up ordering five pairs of shoes (my online retailer is good about returns):

Brooks Asteria (in two sizes)

Saucony Fastwitch (in two sizes)

Men's adidas adizero adios, size 7 - the women's size 8s remain stubbornly at $139 (or unavailable), but maybe these will work

So, I'll try 'em all on, keep any that fit and return the rest. (I only try them on in my carpeted condo so I can return them in new condition.)

--Christine

You can check the fit in your carpeted condo, but you can only really test a shoe by running in it, on whatever surface you normally run. Not sure where you buy, but Running Warehouse allows returns in any condition for up to 90 days (for exchange or store credit). Other online retailers and LRSs have similar policies.

Dave