Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I will give my update now as I wanted to wait out of respect for the racers this past weekend.

My injury problems have remained the same. I've effectively not run for 4 weeks at this point, and things have probably only improved 50%. I tried to get out the door yesterday when I was so inspired by Boston, but I made it half a mile before I had to shut it down. It's still Achilles issues, but also posterior tib stuff that is preventing me from even doing easy mileage.

I've been working with PT for a couple of months now and we just can't crack the code. She's been thinking it's my back, but that doesn't seem to be helping either. I'm inquiring on something like Shockwave to see if that will do it. I've done heel drops, core strengthening, PT manipulation, heat, ice, massage guns, ball work, etc. Pretty much everything you can think of. It's not helping.

Either way, I'm very close to just fully throwing in the towel and giving up for good. Frankly I was there last week and had committed to stopping for good, but Boston put a little fire in me that maybe I'll try to crack this nut one last time. In order to be in Moose Mug shape, I need to be running within the next few weeks to slowly get back to mileage I know I need to run to do it. I won't try to get back to 90+ like I did for NYC, but I do need to be running in the 71-85 range to have a shot.

I'd still put this at 75/25 that I'm not going to make it to CIM. It's been a frustrating past few years with injuries, but this one shows me it's not a matter of just "doing the work" to get my strength up or something, because I've done all of that. It's just an injury-prone body getting older. It's something I've thought was true for years and this has shown it: there's something with my body that it tends to tolerate a lot of running if I don't stop. Once I take breaks, I tend to get injured within 4-6 weeks of starting back up again. I've read numerous stories of people with Achilles issues that this injury in particular seems to get worse with full rest.

In some ways, it's a bit of a positive that I actually can't fix this issue: it doesn't make me feel like "well if I just did 20 minutes of strength work in December I would have been fine." That's not the case here.

Anyway - I'll update again in a few weeks depending on how things go. I'll have to make the CIM decision by Memorial Day is my guess.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Jmac that sucks. I had a post tib injury once and it was my worst injury to date with no running for 8 weeks. Most people can run with Achilles soreness though and resting it doesn't seem to help, whereas post tib you have no bounce. Hang in there, what seems terrible now won't last forever.

Hash congrats on the Boston qualifier.

Anxiety is the main reason I stopped racing for the last 2 years. With more experience though I think you can get used to race day as Flavio suggested.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - This sucks.  It sounds like you're doing everything you can do.  I really have no advice to give about the approach or how far you try and push it.  So I'll just say I really hope you find a solution.

Flavio - I think anxiety is probably a factor.  My partner thinks I was too wound up all weekend.  On the drive to the race I completely forgot to give way to someone going 100km/h.  I still think the shoes are the main factor though, mainly because it's such a specific issue.  The cramp is starting so early in exactly the same spot at marathon pace.  I would think if anxiety was the main issue, it is more likely to manifest in a fade/crash.  I'm not a novice just learning how to run long distances, although I really feel like one.  I'm considering doing the Selwyn full marathon in 6.5 weeks, using the training shoes my coach recommends, no expectations, let's just see what happens.  If I get cramp, I'm out, no goal missed, just more data gathered.  I feel recovered from Sunday already.

Hash - Well done.  I saw you on your last lap during my walk back to the start/finish.  You looked like things were getting tough (like everyone else at that point!).  Great work getting it done.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Either way, I'm very close to just fully throwing in the towel and giving up for good. Frankly I was there last week and had committed to stopping for good, but Boston put a little fire in me that maybe I'll try to crack this nut one last time. In order to be in Moose Mug shape, I need to be running within the next few weeks to slowly get back to mileage I know I need to run to do it. I won't try to get back to 90+ like I did for NYC, but I do need to be running in the 71-85 range to have a shot.

Very frustrating for you man. That sucks you aren't able to shake this injury but what is all this crappy talk about giving up for good? You have put in too much work over the years and built up too much of a hobby in your life to just throw it away. Do you think you are putting too much pressure on yourself for this moose mug thing?

I used to be a lot more ambitious with my work career 6-8 years ago which I was constantly on email, getting up at 3 am a couple days a week to work, and even working on weekends/vacations to try to get ahead. I then had a new boss at work who just beat the hell out of me for 2 years and my stress level was so unbearable that it was changing me in my personal life. I was then moved to another boss in a position which I personally considered a demotion but soon realized it was a blessing in disguise. I was much less stressed, which my wife loved, I was able to spend more quality time with my young son, and I was able to pick up a new hobby (RUNNING). I still have a job which pays well and still work for FedEx but sometimes you need an ugly situation to change your perspective on things for the better.

You also have two young girls who are going to want to see daddy run. I bet they are going to be fast runners too when they get older and you are going to want to be able to soak up every minute of that hobby together. Your kids will also never believe you that you used to be able to run a 5k in under 17 minutes and win races, they have to see it for themselves.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Fishyone

I'm considering doing the Selwyn full marathon in 6.5 weeks, using the training shoes my coach recommends, no expectations, let's just see what happens.  If I get cramp, I'm out, no goal missed, just more data gathered.  I feel recovered from Sunday already.

Steve- I really like this approach.  No pressure, no A goal, just run the race and take what comes.  Shoot for a well executed race period.  Whatever the clock says it says...

JMac- So sorry to hear you're dealing with this.  I don't have any experience or guidance so I'll just shut up and hope you can get it squared away.  I miss the quality Daniels talk though.....

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'm considering doing the Selwyn full marathon in 6.5 weeks, using the training shoes my coach recommends, no expectations, let's just see what happens.  If I get cramp, I'm out, no goal missed, just more data gathered.  I feel recovered from Sunday already.

I love this.

Andy - funny enough, during my down period, I was thinking "maybe I should put more into my career" and then had a terrible meeting at work the morning of Boston, which added up to my "I'm not throwing in the towel just yet." But right now, my injuries are what make this hard: if it was just a matter of flipping a switch and coming back to it, I'd be there right now. But like some of you who have run bad marathons thinking "I can't go through another cycle and spend all that time just to bomb on race day," I have a similar nagging feeling of "I can't go through another cycle and not even get the opportunity to test myself because of an injury."

I think one of the issues in general too with two young kids is I feel like I'm missing some opportunities with them on my runs. If I want to continue running, I'd have to learn how to be a morning runner, at least on the weekends. That is becoming clear to me. My problem is my high sleep needs: if I can, I'll sleep 9+ hours every night no problem. There is no such thing for me as "getting by" on 6 hours. It has to be at least 7. So that makes things tougher in general.

For the kids running, yes I can tell my oldest is interested. It's sad because literally yesterday she was using bean bags as "ice packs" and putting them on me because she said "daddy hurt himself running." So sad. I'm already an old man in her eyes. That's why I still post here - ya'll tell me I'm still young 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

My problem is my high sleep needs: if I can, I'll sleep 9+ hours every night no problem. There is no such thing for me as "getting by" on 6 hours. It has to be at least 7.

I suspect the sleep issue is compounding stuff.  Sleep is when your body repairs itself - it's hard to come back from injury if you're not getting  enough.  I personally believe that work stress or even just life stress can make it harder to come back from injury or avoid injury.  Elevated cortisol levels slow down your body's ability to repair itself also.

One thing I note - you seem to have boiled this down to two options - 1) train for CIM or 2) quit running.  I think that if 2 is under consideration, then you should also consider just going all the way back to basics.  And I mean starting to run with the Couch-to-5K program, as ridiculous as that sounds.

You observed that it's easier for you to stay healthy when you are at a constant high mileage.  I think this is true for many people.  It's the build-up that is risky.

So, if you are going to quit anyway, why not instead take a little time to build up slower and more carefully than you ever have before, and see where that takes you?  And in the meantime, you can spend the extra time with your kids.

Whatever you do, I hope you keep posting.  I would miss your contributions (just as I miss JTReeves and so many others).  And who else will debate with me about whether to look at a watch while racing or how to pace the opening miles of a half-marathon?

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

And who else will debate with me about whether to look at a watch while racing or how to pace the opening miles of a half-marathon?

I might - if ever I return to training and racing. Not that this will be any consolation if JMac really should leave this place.

JMac - I hope you get this sorted out somehow, and soon. I guess we will never be friends, not even imaginary ones, but I think I can relate to being injured, injured, and injured again. Plus your contributions to this place are often helpful, so - keep running and posting.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Christchurch Marathon - Race Review

I'll essentially copy the event review my coach asked me to write here.

PRE RACE GOAL
                    What was your "A" goal coming into this event?

Finish in 3:16.

FINISHING TIME
                    What was your finishing time?

N/A

FULL DAY DESCRIPTION
                    Break down the day for me into the following subheadings and add in as much or as little detail as you like.

SLEEP QUALITY 6/10

Had about 6 hours broken sleep which is actually pretty good for me pre-race. Previous nights were good

PRE RACE ROUTINE
                    (what you did before you left the house)

Woke up at 4:30am. Bowl of muesli with about 500ml of water. Hot shower. Left house at 6:10am, arrived at 6:40am with 15-20 minute walk to the start. Planned to use some of this to jog a warm up but just kept to a brisk walk. Ate banana and had Endura electrolyte + carb drink (1 dose).

TRAVEL 9/10

Easy drive, although I forgot to give way at one point...luckily it didn't lead to anything.

WARM UP 9/10

I felt the walk then a short jog would be fine, so I only jogged for a couple of minutes then put the race shoes on and did a couple of hundred metres to check lacing.

THE RACE
                    (what happened? when did it happen? ie "I felt great at the 24km aid station")

Cluttered start - they probably need to rope off the start so the whole starting area is as wide as the first mat. Luckily I wasn't too far back. I don't remember ever feeling great in the first lap. I got a drink from my partner at the 6km station (she asked if I was okay, I said yep - she said later she thought I didn't look great). Just after this my Flip belt fell off, had to go back and get it, then carry it in one hand with the drink in the other hand. Finally finished the drink and did the belt up again. It's never fallen off before. I checked it a lot in the next 2km but then forgot about it and it was fine for the rest of the day. I thought while I was carrying it that I can show I'm mentally tough by quickly getting over an annoying hiccup. Around the end of the first lap I finally started feeling good and like things were rolling.

A guy doing the half started blatantly snaking after me and drafting up Durham and Kilmore which really pissed me off. He made no effort to take a turn. I then saw another guy on Kilmore and asked if he wanted to work together into the wind. He was great, we did a block or 2 each then settled in next to each other and chatted on and off when wind wasn't an issue. He was an Italian guy from Wellington, targeting 3:20 and had done Auckland in 3:22 - I told him he'll cruise this course after that.  Also said to him this will be fine for him compared to Wellington wind, he commented "I still don't like it!"  Saw partner at 6km drink station again (16.5-17km of the race). We saw his partner twice on each lap, she would take a video and call out "I love you" and he'd say "I love you too".  From 15-17km I started feeling rough again and just assumed it was an early race bad patch. I'd taken a caffeine gel at 6km, normal at 12km, caffeine at 18km. It may be mental but soon after each gel was when I had good patches. Came round the park again and pretty much bang on the 20km mark I felt a tiny cramp in my lower left hamstring. I knew it was real straight away, and knew the race was over. I slowed a little to see if I could stop it. Second lap was 49:21, after a first lap of 48:49 so my paces were right. The difference was probably the slow down at 20km. I told Italian guy I thought I could feel cramp and let him pull away a bit, although I caught him at the next aid station. I had a couple more signs of cramp so I knew I was done. I decided to at least have a decent sized workout and decided to run until the cramp came on strong enough to force a stop. I slowed a little to try and extend the time I was in the race. Italian guy also slowed and said aerobically he felt good but his legs were way too fatigued for so early. Saw partner at another aid station and told her I was cramping and likely to stop soon and where I'd meet her. Had half the drink but threw it away because I knew I wouldn't be needing it.

I kept going for another 3km after seeing my partner. This was the most relaxed and serene I felt in the whole race. Every km now was a bonus. Italian guy was talking about his legs being gone, I was talking about how maybe I can only do shorter distances, it was kind of a fun pity party.

One other thing to note is I had a sore hip the previous day (possibly from lifting something). It was sore after the race and still a little sore. I don't remember ever feeling it while running though.

FINISH
                    (How did it feel?) I wish I knew!

NUTRITION
                    Maurten gel on the start line. Maurten caf at 6km, 400ml Endura drink 6km, Maurten at 12km, 400ml Endura drink at 16km, Maurten caf at 18km. After I knew I wasn't finishing I basically abandoned nutrition.

WHAT WENT REALLY WELL? Training (apart from illness). Strength training improvements were big.

WHAT COULD WE DEFINITLY DO BETTER NEXT TIME? I'm actually pretty happy with the whole cycle, which is a weird thing to say after such a disaster. For a future cycle I would be interested to talk about higher mileage, possibly with just a big base building phase.

OTHER COMMENTS

I think the key factors are the shoes and race day anxiety. That's the only common factor. Because it's such a specific issue I lean more towards the shoes as the primary issue. Maybe I just have to use them for shorter races. My partner thinks anxiety is bigger than I do, but I think it's worth discussing approaches to resolve this. Mental skills coach, practice races etc. If I do the Selwyn Marathon using the approach I mentioned above, I feel like I should be pretty calm and relaxed.  Selwyn is on country roads and in the inaugural year last year there were only 38 people in the full.  This may help any anxiety too - it's going to feel like a training run.  There were 4 people sub 3 hours then 5th place was 3:35 so I'm going to be running solo for 99% of the race.

There are some contradictions in the above.  Why was I feeling off colour for much of the time I was running if it's the shoes causing cramp?  It's probably a combination of things.  Having a cold and moving house 2.5 weeks out definitely didn't help.

2024 Races:

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac that's (as always) some great advice from darkwave.  Can you see yourself being comfortable taking that approach?  You do seem like an all or nothing kind of guy.  But what if you just go around dominating Park Runs for a while?

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Pre-race anxiety: This is a biggie for sure, and something that was really tough for me for a long time. A certain amount is natural, and actually helpful as it activates the sympathetic nervous system and gets the adrenaline flowing... but if you're in that state for too long it's counterproductive.  I used to get wound up about almost every race... these days it's just goal races and even then I can mentally talk myself down from it by reminding myself that the work is done (hopefully lol), it's just another race, and it's something to be enjoyed, not stressed over.

I like your attitude towards Selwyn, Steve.  Definitely worth a go.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yes Steve way to go on the backup marathon.

Thanks for the race recap.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

watsonc123

I normally only post in the Waltons thread.  So if you don't know who I am, my apologies.

Steve - looking at your training etc. you definitely should go sub 3:20.  A 3:16 aim was very reasonable.  Do you ever do shorter races, or MLR/long runs in your race shoes?  If not, then you definitely need to consider this. I realize that race shoes are little expensive but I think you should always have done some shorter races or training runs in the race shoes.  I realize that race shoes are expensive, but they're not that expensive, and remember that cheaper shoes aren't free so the cost is the delta.  It might your shoes are good for a half and below, by memory you're using the Endorphin Pro v1 or v2? 

I also think anxiety is a real issue here.  Whether it contributes to the cramps, I don't know.  Just remember that to enjoy the event, you (and I) are so far away from being quick enough for it to truly matter.

Another thought re your taper, does your diet change a bit?  Do you eat less and therefore consume less salt?

JMac - I like Darkwave's suggestion.  A light running program might be enough to mean fitness is not fully lost, but light enough to give your body the ability to recover.

PRs: 5km 18:43 (Dec 2015), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:26:16 (Sep 2016), full 3:09:28 (Jun 2015)

40+ PRs: 5km 19:31 (Oct 2020), 10km 39:59 (Sep 2020), half 1:29:39 (Jun 2018), full 3:13:55 (Sep 2022)

2023 PRs (hope to beat in 2024): 5km 20:34, 10km 41:37, half 1:32:32, full 3:21:05

2024 PRs: 5km 20:25

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I normally only post in the Waltons thread.  So if you don't know who I am, my apologies.

Steve - looking at your training etc. you definitely should go sub 3:20.  A 3:16 aim was very reasonable.  Do you ever do shorter races, or MLR/long runs in your race shoes?  If not, then you definitely need to consider this. I realize that race shoes are little expensive but I think you should always have done some shorter races or training runs in the race shoes.  I realize that race shoes are expensive, but they're not that expensive, and remember that cheaper shoes aren't free so the cost is the delta.  It might your shoes are good for a half and below, by memory you're using the Endorphin Pro v1 or v2? 

I also think anxiety is a real issue here.  Whether it contributes to the cramps, I don't know.  Just remember that to enjoy the event, you (and I) are so far away from being quick enough for it to truly matter.

Another thought re your taper, does your diet change a bit?  Do you eat less and therefore consume less salt?

JMac - I like Darkwave's suggestion.  A light running program might be enough to mean fitness is not fully lost, but light enough to give your body the ability to recover.

Thanks watson, some good thoughts and questions to ponder there.  I was using the Endorphin Pro 2 (used for Melbourne and last 2 halfs) then upgraded to the 3.  I wore them in one MLR workout, but that's all.  Going forward, I'll probably restrict them to shorter races and MLR workouts - I'll use them in a few long runs if I ever decide to try them in a marathon again.  If I don't, probably not much point using them in a long run.  I'll use the Tempus for all my MLR and long runs over the coming weeks.

Anxiety - I don't think this is because of my target time.  I definitely know the race matters a lot to me, and a little to others who are supporting but they generally won't care about times.  Any anxiety this time would have been about cramp or blowing up...so if it is a cause it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Let's see how going into a race considering it an experiment of sorts goes.  I'll minimise who I even tell I'm doing it too.  I considered not mentioning it here until afterwards but the potential advice is worth the little expectation it creates.

I kept my diet pretty close to normal although it does make me feel like I'm overeating during the taper.  I drink the same amount of fluids which leads to a lot of peeing when my training starts to drop down.  I did replace one bottle of water with a bottle of powerade zero every day in race week.

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - I'm not sure how accurate this body battery is. I mostly ignore it.
                                I've never gotten a score of 90, my max was 85. I don't wear the watch all the time though, so I'm guessing mine is less accurate.

Jmac - First of all, forget about CIM, delete it from your calendar. Focus exclusively on getting better, then running easy for a little while. Once that happens, then you can start thinking about the future. The options I outlined on my last message to you will still be there in the future.

And, yeah, you're still young, you could retire now, not run a mile for the next entire year, come back, you'd be back to baseline fitness in about 3 or 4 months, and you'd get the Moose Mug just the same, just a year later than you'd like.

And remove this idea that you're injury prone from your head. I'm certain that with proper training volume and regular injury prevention work you can shine once again. I also hit a major road block at around 36 years. Unlike you I just did nothing and waited to see if it would go away. I lost 26 weeks that year to injury. Eventually it got better, I started doing strength training, I started running PRs again. Now looking back, it looks like just a bump along the way. You're doing everything right, you will certainly get better much quicker.

If you do retire, (cause hey, life gets in the way sometimes), then you can definitely be happy with your results.

Steve - That sounds like a very good plan.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly