Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK I luckily have a locker room and shower facility here at work. I also have an old fashioned office with a desktop PC so the laptop can stay at home  The key for me is having a full work wardrobe with multiple sets of clothes, jackets etc. that I leave at work.  I've also added a second airpod charger for work.  I found the key to enjoying the run commute is to only have to bring my car key and really nothing else.  About every other week I drive in to replenish all of my work stuff.  I've tried the backpacks and they just didn't ever work. Hope you can find a system that works for you. It's taken a while to perfect but it has taken the stress out of trying to get in miles yet still be flexible to do the crap that inevitably comes up during the day.

gah! Fishy, you reminded me that I also have a computer in my office. It's just so slow that I usually just work on my laptop. But one day of the week I could surely work on my office computer :-) And then yeah, that would make for a comfortable run home! I could use the locker and showers in the uni gym, but they're honestly kind of disgusting. I'll need to take some time to figure out a good routine.

JMac, still reading it, but yeah, cool that you also did! I have been thinking about the PM/AM routine, but the commute is about 11 miles, so I'll have to build up to integrating that responsibly. (Also, winter coats is not something I have to worry about here, for me it's more about where to put the sweaty running clothes after coming in.) Sounds like a great 10k race despite not having prepared for it! The regeneration time you had probably did some good. And I LOVE the start of a new training season. Have fun!

mmerkle, that doesn't sound good. Especially if it's been 2 months... sounds like you may need to see a PT to get to know some exercises that can help it go away. If you start marathon training now, an April marathon could be a good goal, but it doesn't mean you can't sign-up for a tune-up HM race. My HM PRs have always come during marathon training...

RP, hope things look up by the end of the week. And sounds like an awesome 12 x 400m workout. I tend to think I'm more an endurance than speed runner, too, but consistency does make faster. I'm with you on the "doubt I'll get the MM," I can't even get the BQ (and I don't think you're wrong on your evaluation of the Boston Marathon, Mikkey). Like mmerkle though,  it's too soon to count yourself out of the MM.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Running Problem

Problem Child

DK When I started running around 2010 it was for Tough Mudder training. I was in habit of picking up a new hobby every other year. When my wife asked, in a loving smart ass tone, "when are you going to quit running" I promptly replied "When I run the Boston Marathon" knowing full well I had ZERO desire to run a marathon. I didn't even know what was required to enter Boston, and now I'm training for it for the first time. So don't ever sell yourself short. Your PR is 3 minutes from a BQ. I absolutely believe you could earn a BQ and even get into the race this year or next if you make it your goal/priority. I always treated this place as a coach/team/training group and I've definitely benefited from it. It's probably one of the few places I HAVEN'T been kicked out of because of my attitude, and a place where the people here learned to use it for my benefit.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DK - I have showers at my office too which makes things a lot easier. And I forgot about your no jackets, that makes run commuting a lot easier! I don't know how many days a week you're in the office, but it's very easy to take in a few shorts and a few shirts for the week, and then take back all your work clothes at the end of the week. The laptop is going to be annoying though, especially in such hot weather you run in. It also precludes you from doing any workouts when you're run commuting which kind of sucks.

Flavio - those emojis in the post make it, that was amazing! Clearly Tyson wins at anything under 400 meters. I really hope Cal makes it to Boston. I'm worried given his complete lack of training over the past 6 weeks that he is totally burned out. We need Mikkey to reach out to him and get that fire going again!

Dave - obviously run NYC next year with all of us.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

mmerkle

RP Forgot to answer your question. Admittedly I get unnecessarily anxious about traveling and need to just do it more. It's a personal flaw I'd like to work on.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I’ve never minded travel but I guess it’s a rare time when I’m willing to accept getting worked up isn’t worth it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Commander When you get a chance can you put me down for February 26th, MD/DC RRCA 10 mile club challenge? Goal time sub 63, for now anyway. The course is known to be hilly and I'm still trying to assess my fitness. Thanks.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Commander When you get a chance can you put me down for February 26th, MD/DC RRCA 10 mile club challenge? Goal time sub 63, for now anyway. The course is known to be hilly and I'm still trying to assess my fitness. Thanks.

If you've never done this one, it tends to attract a really fast crowd. And yea, very hilly. But wirh the time you're aiming for,  should have plenty of people around.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

RP, hope things look up by the end of the week. And sounds like an awesome 12 x 400m workout. I tend to think I'm more an endurance than speed runner, too, but consistency does make faster. I'm with you on the "doubt I'll get the MM," I can't even get the BQ (and I don't think you're wrong on your evaluation of the Boston Marathon, Mikkey). Like mmerkle though,  it's too soon to count yourself out of the MM.

I like your attitude and glad you don’t get offended by honest opinions! I think Boston is so popular because it’s an achievable goal for anyone who wants to become more than just a weekend runner without destroying themselves physically!  I think Berlin/NYC qualifying/Moose Mug achievement needs more obsessive like training which isn’t always healthy. In simple terms the more you run the faster you’ll get, so it’s really just about how much time and effort you want to put into it. 🤷‍♂️

Flavio - I’ll have to agree with Mr McKeon and liked that post with the emojis!  Your wit makes up for your lack of running talent. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I wanted to get some thoughts on a couple tune-up races prior to my Half in March which I am shooting for a big PR. The Half is March 11th and there is a race Feb 18th which has a 15k or a 5k distance. I am also pacing my son during a winter off-road series (3k, 5k, 8k, 10k) during Jan/Feb, which those will be good tempo runs for me but not race effort.

I am thinking the 15k 3 weeks before the Half is going to be more beneficial from a fitness perspective and to help me decide on a target pace since the distance is very close to 13.1. Would anyone disagree with selecting the 15k and recommend racing the 5k instead? Would anyone recommend the 15k but at a slower pace than 100% race effort?

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Andy - everyone’s different in how they recover, but you‘re probably OK to run the 15k at full race effort 3 weeks before a goal half. If you have any concerns, run the 15k at HM goal pace, and it’s a great workout + confidence builder. I think 15k is a better option than a 5k, but my preference would actually be racing a 10k all-out.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I am thinking the 15k 3 weeks before the Half is going to be more beneficial from a fitness perspective and to help me decide on a target pace since the distance is very close to 13.1. Would anyone disagree with selecting the 15k and recommend racing the 5k instead? Would anyone recommend the 15k but at a slower pace than 100% race effort?

You’re a low mileage runner from looking at your log…but I would still say that racing the 15k would be fine and more beneficial than a 5k. Low mileage marathoners run 18/20 milers 3 weeks before a race, but you don’t need as much taper for a half.

And run the 15k at 100% effort.  You can run 15k anytime at less than 100% effort for free.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

mmerkle

Half Crazy K Good! I love it! Looks like last year the first 62 people were under 60. That's my kinda crowd. This will probably be the most competitive road race I've ever done and I'm super pumped! And yes this will be my first time.

Andy I would run the 15k all out. Three weeks is more than enough time for recovery. Another option is to run the first 10k at HM pace and then turn on the jets the last 5k, but in my opinion you would be better off treating it as a race so you know what your limit feels like. Racing makes you better at racing.

Mikkey Unless you're like me and have anti-talent and then even destroying yourself doesn't get you the BQ lol.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Andy I would run the 15k all out. Three weeks is more than enough time for recovery. Another option is to run the first 10k at HM pace and then turn on the jets the last 5k, but in my opinion you would be better off treating it as a race so you know what your limit feels like. Racing makes you better at racing.

That sort of snowflake talk is for the Walton’s thread…go big or go home. 😎

Mikkey 
                            Unless you're like me and have anti-talent and then even destroying yourself doesn't get you the BQ lol.

Just be patient and consistent and you’ll definitely BQ without destroying yourself! 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

You should definitely race the 15K. Even on low mileage, you can recover from that in about 4-5 days. I am not a huge fan of "not" racing in races, unless it's to run a half marathon at MP to practice that pace. Otherwise, go out and there and learn what it feels like to be in a lot of (good) pain and how to mentally prepare for your goal race. The only difference is you won't fully taper into it like you would if your 15K was the goal race.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

I'll stir the pot here lol. I put The Emperor over Bekele, with his 27 world records. I'm aware Bekele beat Gebreselassie a few times but I'm standing my ground. During his prime on the track, The Emperor was unstoppable.

mmerkle: Glad to see a youngster like you is aware of Geb and his greatness! We are in total agreement here. The 90s were my early years of running and Geb was my idol then and remains my all-time favorite. Not only for his amazing career but for his great attitude and demeanor. The 1996 Olympic 10k still gives me chills every time, going to the bell when he passes Tergat. Legendary. The call of the race by the BBC guys is epic. I've got it on VHS tape; unfortunately it's no longer on Youtube for the full race.

Mikkey: How is the heel?

2:52:16 (2018)