Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

I did 10x400s today at about Fishys 10x800 pace 

Fishy you must be close to sub 18 5k shape right now.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Fishyone

Piwi- LOL!!  I'm a marathoner not a sprinter! Next your gonna have me racing the MILE. I've never understood the speed demon's (you included) around here....Maybe I'll try some more short stuff in the fall but after Sugarloaf I'm thinking of a little back to the basics mileage.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

To be fair I've never raced a mile or even a 3000m.

You look strong anyway 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I feel like the start also would trigger some of the things you've said in the past: very crowded, and very downhill with people trying to fly by you. So it may be tough to race.

That's a very good point, and something I had noted already.

Related: I lost my Brookyn Half hotel room (good price, good location) yesterday morning.  For reasons I don't quite understand, the hotel decided to charge my credit card yesterday morning for next week's stay, even though I made the reservation months ago.

My credit card company denied the charge as suspicious and texted me to authorize it.  I was in the pool, and so didn't see the text until some time later.

Meanwhile, as soon as the charge was denied, the hotel cancelled my room and sold it to someone else.  The hotel is sold out.

And now, from a quick glance, it is going to be hard to find a hotel in Brooklyn at a price I am willing to pay for a location I am willing to stay at.

I am annoyed.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

DW - oh man I would be pissed. My race hotel story - I had reserved one long in advance, for two nights, as I often do before even registering, because hotels can sell out faster than the races. As it got closer, I decided I was only going to stay one night. I had booked on hotels.com, and it didn’t let me change the reservation because it was sold out. How would that prevent me from cancelling one night? I tried reaching hotels.com directly, and the guy kept giving me the same answer. Apparently they don’t just change the existing reservation, they’d have to cancel my existing 2-reservation and book a new 1-night one, but they couldn’t do that because it was sold out.  He could not understand my explanation as to why that made no sense, I kept pushing, and eventually he said “OK, I’ve cancelled your reservation, you’ll have to find a different hotel.” I said NO, DO NOT DO THAT! but it was too late. Fortunately the story has a happy ending; I immediately called the hotel directly; they could see I had just cancelled and were able to fix it, and were super nice about it.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

wow DW I am so sorry. I am not sure what rates you're willing to pay, but let me know if I can help - I would consider staying in downtown Manhattan too as staying in Brooklyn isn't much of an advantage TBH unless you're within a mile or so of the start line. The trains run 24 hours so it's always easy to get to the start. Also can help with neighborhoods etc. if you're worried at all.

PM me if need any more specific help

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

I did feel like I was on the upswing Friday and decided to run the race. I felt better race morning, but not 100%, but that actually got better as the race progressed.

Long story short (I'm working on a proper RR but it'll take time): Things mostly went well and I came away with the win in 9:22:42. I learned quite a bit and met some cool people (including finishing with a woman who knows Krash. Small world, huh?). 21 started, 11 finished.

Mark - Well done in those conditions.

Steve - Interesting conversation with the coach.

DWave - Thanks! I'm not lost to ultras. I only have plans for one more.

Krash - Flat??? Ok, yeah, it kinda was. Especially compared to your stuff. Most of the elevation change was in one ~7 mile stretch that you hit twice.
                Do you recall a Janice from Colorado? Someone you've at least met at ATY. We spent the last ~4.5 miles or so of our respective races together.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Marky_Mark_17

Is Janice from Colorado a friend of Nathan Jones?

It's not ultra but I'm looking forward to the Xterra trail race series over winter.  The first race next Sunday is 17km (11-ish of your miles) but has ~450m (1500ft) of vertical, so it's gonna be hard work. Might feel like an ultra tbh.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fishy - Stop with the excuses and go run a fast 5k. Sub 18 or Gaga costume!

DW - Ugh, that's a dick move by the hotel!

Keen - Once again great job at the race. It's impressive you were back at running the very next day. I see you spotted a horny toad earlier today, what did you do to make it horny 🤡

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Keen Really Nice race!!  I would guess you were running alone for the entire race which is very impressive.

Flavio LOL Can I borrow your Gaga outfit?  Mine is in the cleaners 

Running Problem

Problem Child

That's a very good point, and something I had noted already.

Related: I lost my Brookyn Half hotel room (good price, good location) yesterday morning.  For reasons I don't quite understand, the hotel decided to charge my credit card yesterday morning for next week's stay, even though I made the reservation months ago.

My credit card company denied the charge as suspicious and texted me to authorize it.  I was in the pool, and so didn't see the text until some time later.

Meanwhile, as soon as the charge was denied, the hotel cancelled my room and sold it to someone else.  The hotel is sold out.

And now, from a quick glance, it is going to be hard to find a hotel in Brooklyn at a price I am willing to pay for a location I am willing to stay at.

I am annoyed.

Sorry. 
                        This is a very adult level rant as well. Definitely above and beyond what I’d be able to compline as a formal complaint.  Could you sleep under a news paper on a park bench or did New York go all digital for news due to Covid 19?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - I didn't have to do anything to make it horny, they just come that way!
                          I've loved these things since I was a kid (especially since their primary food is the ant species with the most painful sting around), and haven't seen one in years.

Fishy - I did run with a couple people for most of the first 11 miles. One I recognized from Strava, the other was the 2nd place finisher.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fishy - Sugarloaf looks like a fast course and if you managed to run a 2:55 that would put you at 80% AG and be alongside the greats. Take a deep breath and let that sink in. Good luck. 👍

darkwave - That is so annoying and hope you managed to get alternative accommodation sorted.

Keen - Congrats on the win. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Fishy - Sugarloaf looks like a fast course and if you managed to run a 2:55 that would put you at 80% AG and be alongside the greats. Take a deep breath and let that sink in. Good luck. 👍

darkwave - That is so annoying and hope you managed to get alternative accommodation sorted.

Keen - Congrats on the win. 👍

Thanks Mikkey.  All I need to do is beat my last race by 9 minutes and my goal pace by 5 minutes.....No problem

Tapering twice in a month is not recommended for mental health by the way

That said, course looks really nice and the weather is 100% in the wheelhouse.  Even the wind direction is looking favorable so there will be NO EXCUSES if I somehow manage to screw it up.  To quote RP it's checkers or wreckers time.

Hopefully we can have a forum vote to keep me in if I sneak in under 80% 

Marky_Mark_17

Fishy - all the best.

Mikkey - you've changed your tune?

The idea of participating in an ultra 50/100 miles/48 hour thing a bit faster than walking pace is quite frankly for retards. 🤷‍♂️

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"