Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Mark - He changed completely:

"Fishy - Sugarloaf looks like a fast course and if you managed to run a 2:55 that would put you at 80% AG and be alongside the greats. Take a deep breath and let that sink in. Good luck. 👍"

Sugarloaf is point to point with a net elevation loss of 602 feet and a possible tailwind this year. Just imagine his reaction if you were about to run a comparable marathon.

Fishy - This is not to detract from whatever your result in that race will be. I of course also noted the elevation gain within the course and the rolling hills. I wish you perfect weather, a smartly executed race, and a result you can be proud of.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

Marky_Mark_17

Fishy - This is not to detract from whatever your result in that race will be. I of course also noted the elevation gain within the course and the rolling hills. I wish you perfect weather, a smartly executed race, and a result you can be proud of.

100%. Get out there and enjoy it.  A well-executed race on a fast course on a good day is one of running's great joys.  I've been fortunate to have a few of those days and I sincerely hope it's something every runner gets to experience.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

FishyOne I'm expecting you to tell me how many powerline poles there are between the Appalachian Trail and Carrabassett Valley Academy in your race report. If you can't 2:55 a course with almost double the downhill of Boston WITH a tailwind you should stick to fishing.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Fishyone

RP- Can I hike the Appalachian trail AFTER the race please?  I have all Sunday afternoon... Maybe a nice recovery trail run Monday morning

I actually do plan on doing some native brook trout fishing while I'm up there! there appear to be many streams in the area and I'm rarely without my rod in the truck.

This race checked all of my boxes....Small, downhill and NOT crowded.  I'm actually hoping for some solo miles. Not that I believe these ....but here is the marathon comparison from Marathon finder:

Marathon Time Conversion

Boston Marathon in 3:03:50

Sugarloaf Marathon
          Comparable Finish Time  3:03:12
          Course Time Difference -0:00:37
          Weather Time Difference +0:00:00
          Total Time Difference -0:00:37

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave - That is so annoying and hope you managed to get alternative accommodation sorted.

Thanks.  I actually managed to get myself back in that hotel today, and at a better price than what I was paying before (about $75 less).  Hopefully no further shenanigans.

Back story: I'm a member of this hotel chain's rewards program, and so I called the help line for that program this morning.  Before calling, I had mapped out exactly what I wanted as resolution, which was the closest possible hotel room they could offer at the same price I was offered before.

Right before calling, I checked online again to see what hotels were open, and....my original hotel showed as available again.  So when I called, I asked to be rebooked in whatever they had available at that hotel at my original rate.   And....after some discussion, we determined that I was actually eligible for a discount.

So that's where we are.  Yay.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Fishyone

For all the West coasters planning on "sledding down" CIM in December.  

RP- You should be targeting 2:45

Mikkey- Given your "advance age" I'll let you slide with a 2:50 goal

JMac- Once healthy you should be targeting 2:30

LOL---------

Marathon Time Conversion

Sugarloaf Marathon California International Marathon
              Comparable Finish Time  3:03:12  3:02:51
              Course Time Difference -0:00:37 -0:00:58
              Weather Time Difference +0:00:00 +0:00:00
              Total Time Difference -0:00:37 -0:00:58
                Compare Race Details to Sugarloaf Marathon Compare Race Details to California International Marathon

Fishyone

Nice work Dwave!! Love it when a plan comes together.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Nice work Dwave!! Love it when a plan comes together.

Thanks.  To be completely honest, I was wearing Vaporflies when I made the call, so I'm not sure I should get all the credit.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Thanks.  To be completely honest, I was wearing Vaporflies when I made the call, so I'm not sure I should get all the credit.

Gold!  And definitely front page worthy.  Imagine what you would have gotten if you were also going down Iwo Jima.

Really happy you sorted this and can jog your way to NYC qualification.

Fishy - Double taper does sound like a good way to mess up your mental health...

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks.  I actually managed to get myself back in that hotel today, and at a better price than what I was paying before (about $75 less).  Hopefully no further shenanigans.

Back story: I'm a member of this hotel chain's rewards program, and so I called the help line for that program this morning.  Before calling, I had mapped out exactly what I wanted as resolution, which was the closest possible hotel room they could offer at the same price I was offered before.

Right before calling, I checked online again to see what hotels were open, and....my original hotel showed as available again.  So when I called, I asked to be rebooked in whatever they had available at that hotel at my original rate.   And....after some discussion, we determined that I was actually eligible for a discount.

So that's where we are.  Yay.

That’s great news!  Whenever I book a hotel room months in advance I always click on the more expensive option that allows you to cancel free of charge up to a day or 2 before arrival.  Closer to the time if I know I’m definitely going I’ll check availability and if it’s not full then I’ll cancel my original booking and rebook clicking on the less expensive non refundable option.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

For all the West coasters planning on "sledding down" CIM in December.  

RP- You should be targeting 2:45

Mikkey- Given your "advance age" I'll let you slide with a 2:50 goal

JMac- Once healthy you should be targeting 2:30

LOL---------

Marathon Time Conversion

Sugarloaf Marathon California International Marathon
                        Comparable Finish Time  3:03:12  3:02:51
                        Course Time Difference -0:00:37 -0:00:58
                        Weather Time Difference +0:00:00 +0:00:00
                        Total Time Difference -0:00:37 -0:00:58
                          Compare Race Details to Sugarloaf Marathon Compare Race Details to California International Marathon

So does that mean that CIM isn’t actually the hardest marathon in the USA?

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CalBears

So does that mean that CIM isn’t actually the hardest marathon in the USA?

You will see in a few months... Too much talk about how easy it is - btw, according to the same source, it's just 76 seconds faster than London marathon. So, I would stop the irony and start training instead Smile

Btw, it's funny how people approach numbers. Numbers do not tell you the story. So, Sugarloaf has 1285 feet (391m) elevation loss, ha-ha - a lot, right? But it also has 713 feet (217m) elevation gain. For those who only runs flat races I will open a big secret - the time you losing going up is not compensated by the time you gain going down. Just show really simple example, imagine running a marathon with 1000 meters elevation gain and 1000 meters elevation loss and compare it with a totally flat marathon. Total elevation loss/gain is 0 meters Guess which marathon you will run faster? Smile The same relates to CIM - elevation loss is 1003 feet (305m), but elevation gain is 663 feet (202m) - plus, most of the elevation loss are just at miles 1, 3 and 11) so, it's not like every mile is down 50 feet. Yes, your quads will not be trashed, but the constant up and down, up and down every mile is kind of a thing that you have to used to and fight with mentally. Mark mentioned some time ago that 40-60 feet of uphill during half a mile is almost flat - ha-ha - yes, but that's the difference between 6:20 and 6:35-6:40 paces. Yes, 40-60 don't sound scary but your watch will tell you the story Smile

Anyway, too many words, and yes, CIM is fast, it's just has its character. So, Mikkey, be careful with bashing other people's races - they will remember everything later, even when you have a bad day Smile But, yeah, I know, that's not the point of this forum - the point is having fun and get people agitated - I am with you, but I am sure if (or when) you meet Marky, you will be as kind and warm-hearted as you were with me last year in London .

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Lord Commander - I humbly submit this as another pearl for the front page!

DW - It's great to hear that you found a solution quickly.

Cal - You're absolutely right in saying that the time you lose going uphill you don't make up going downhill.

Fishy - All the best, you seem to be having a very mild case of taper madness.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Cal - You're absolutely right in saying that the time you lose going uphill you don't make up going downhill.

Fishy - All the best, you seem to be having a very mild case of taper madness.

Flavio- Yes...mild just some minor symptoms like weather obsessing, second guessing life choices, thinking that I'm fat and have lost ALL of my fitness, struggling to decide if I NEED to do a 5 mile run today and whether  it will help or hurt.....

Completely agree on the uphill/downhill equation.  I think wind is the same you lose much more time with a headwind than you gain when it's a tailwind.  That said....I would always choose the downhill/tailwind 

Hope everyone knows I have no disrespect for ANY marathon.  Even the REVELs that are downhill the entire way are often run at altitude and require discipline and strong quads to handle the downhills.  It is still 26.2 "imperial blasters" in length. As I have advanced in years I am much more particular about my race choices and they go in order of 1. Weather potential 2. Flat or slight downhill 3. Not massive.....Number 3 is new and might/will change when I sign up for Boston again or decide to run a major.

Cal thanks for checking in.  My goal AFTER Sugarloaf is to incorporate some upper body strength work into my training...unfortunately I've said that before so we'll see.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You will see in a few months... Too much talk about how easy it is - btw, according to the same source, it's just 76 seconds faster than London marathon. So, I would stop the irony and start training instead Smile

Any race that is considered faster than London is a bonus at my age.    I’ve run a few rolling hill country lane half and full marathons and know that you can’t make up the time on the downhill sections. Ideally I’d like to find a couple of net downhill tune-up halfs before CIM but there don’t seem to be any in the UK!

Fishy - Getting a six pack at 53yo would be pretty cool.