Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Keen, the things we do for fun ! That's a great photo.

Congratulations on the win. You seem destined for ultras with your weekly mileage.

RP of course the USA has a certain little fault line in California 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Running Problem

Problem Child

Keen, the things we do for fun ! That's a great photo.

Congratulations on the win. You seem destined for ultras with your weekly mileage.

I lived near it. San Andres is the name for those who don’t know. Big one in 89 was in Santa Cruz mountains. Not many people cared about the mountain folk who had government food air dropped in according to a new friend of mine.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I suspect most people don't know about the New Madrid Fault Line extending from Cairo, IL, down into Arkansas.  That's not an area one thinks of when the topic is earthquakes.  It's rare to get a strong one there, but in the early 19th century one was strong enough to make the Mississippi flow backward and create Reelfoot Lake in Kentucky. 
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1811%e2%80%931812_New_Madrid_earthquakes#Geologic_setting

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

There was an earthquake when I was in college in Champaign, IL. I only lasted a few seconds and was only about a 5, but we felt it. It was so bizarre because we didn’t know what it was, and could only guess it was an earthquake, but didn’t think they ever happened there. I was alone at the time and wondered if I imagined it; there was no community FB page back then where you could see everyone post “was that an earthquake?”

Dave

darkwave

Mother of Cats

There was an earthquake when I was in college in Champaign, IL. I only lasted a few seconds and was only about a 5, but we felt it. It was so bizarre because we didn’t know what it was, and could only guess it was an earthquake, but didn’t think they ever happened there. I was alone at the time and wondered if I imagined it; there was no community FB page back then where you could see everyone post “was that an earthquake?”

We had the infamous Virginia Earthquake in 2011.  Most people in DC assumed it was terrorism of some sort, just because that seemed more likely than an earthquake.

CK - I read and enjoyed the report.  Especially the references to you being "that guy."

Fishy- good luck tomorrow!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

We had the infamous Virginia Earthquake in 2011.  Most people in DC assumed it was terrorism of some sort, just because that seemed more likely than an earthquake.

They was construction on a new cancer center building at Johns Hopkins Hospitala across the street from my work. i thought it was a large construction vehicle driving by. Until the noise continued far longer than it should have for a vehicle.

I live in the "boom zone" of Abderdeen Proving Ground, so explosions & house shaking are fairly common. Also there are 2 shooting ranges within a mile, so plenty of gun fire. If either issue happens outside the controlled settings, I'm likely to ignore it sincce they are so common (baring late night gunfire, since the clubs close after dark).

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Keen - Loved the RR.  That is an amazing effort after rolling the ankle so early.  How has it pulled up?  Also loved how you finished with that lady.  It sounds like a pretty brutal experience with all those hills and the heat.  Are you an ultra runner from now on?  I think you were very sensible to take your time at those aid stations.  It didn't sound like you had too much urgency in the RR, but do you think you would have started racing if GS had blown past while you were at an AS?

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

dktrotter

Dorothea

(edited to fix stupid automatic emoji and two mistakes)

Hello! 

Well, it’s been 3 weeks since my last real contribution, and I haven’t had a chance to do a lot of running, and that showed in the 5k race I did today. I signed up for the race optimistically 2 weeks ago since lot of people in my club were doing it, but then also foolishly donated blood that same day without thinking about the potential consequences on said race (must have been one of my rare “say 'yes' to all the things” days). So I actually knew this wasn't really going to be a PR attempt, and I allowed myself to do a lot of other not-great things for racing, such as pull near-all-nighters, spend hours in the garden and house, drink a little more alcohol than I should have, eat lots of crap, and run around town getting things done. I had a very productive last three weeks, but not very runner-friendly ones. My watch-measured running VO2 max (which is strangely lower than my cycling one…anyone else experience that?) dropped 2 pts… need to get that up again. Hoping to do at least 35-40 miles per week for at least the next 6 ones before I head to Europe for some work and catching up with friends and family (so, to answer your question Fishy, the 10k would be in Berlin! Which can be hot in late July as well, but not as bad as SoFla). 

Last 3 weeks summary: 

4/24-4/30: 23.6 miles, 3:26:41, 480 ft incline; 27.4 cycling miles 

5/1-5/7: 34.4 miles, 5:14:41, 530 ft incline 

5/8-5/14: TBD, likely 23-25 miles, 190 ft incline; maybe 6 cycling miles

I am now going to catch up a bit on 15 pages of forum posts, especially the race reports I missed!: 

First of all, late thanks to all the congrats for that last race. I, of course, want to get back to a 20-something  before I start dreaming of sub-20, but amazing that some of you think it’s doable (and bless your hearts, to use an RP expression). Maybe I need to start thinking so as well. And maybe it’s not just the shoes, but they certainly help. What would a 5k specific training look like, though? Shorter, faster workouts probably? Would 45 miles a week work? 

Darkwave, I like how you explained the “artificial” high mileage a few weeks ago. Yes, swapping long-run days can easily make a week seem a lot longer than even the rolling average actually is. I think I instinctively also take the 2-week average as the useful metric for that reason. It is great to read how happy you are with how things are progressing. Things look like they’re really progressing well, but it’s important that it feels that way to you, too. Doesn’t look like you’re afraid of hard work though, so while you say you have a lot of work ahead of you, I don’t doubt you’ll put it in and get back to where you want to be. 

Also congrats at Broad Street! I know you were ready to beat your previous 10-miler time, fitness wise, but that looked like a very busy race at the start. 

And… even though I’m late and it’s (thankfully) resolved now, so sorry about that frustration with the hotel room. Glad it worked out even better than before! I’d say the Thursday before the race is fine to visit a nightclub as long as you relax Friday!

mmerkle, you look like you’re recovering really well from Salisbury. Actually, looks like you’re in prime base-building for your summer race series. Why all the hills, though? Do you expect those 5ks to be hilly? Or is that how you develop your strength? Also re: stale legs… isn’t that the difference between fast and slow twitch muscles? If you ignore speed work, you’re not exercising those fast ones? (Guessing here, and too lazy to look it up right now)

RP and Fishy, neither of you took much of a recovery as I would have thought after Boston! Glad to see you’re both feeling good and racing again so quickly! Good luck tomorrow, Fishy! (And I agree, those 10x 800s look great!) Have fun with the fishing (wait! Is that where your moniker comes from?!) afterwards! 

And RP, amazing reading through the last two volumes of your race report. Both entertaining and educational, just like I like my reading. Hopefully you have enough repeatable things in them that can help the next race be just as successful. Sounds like a lot of what makes the race so great is the near-constant crowd support. For an extrovert, that sounds super helpful. Hard to imagine it the way wcrunner  describes, though, without aid stations! Also, re: metallic taste in mouth, did you have some kind of energy drink or other kind of supplement? I found those sometimes cause a metallic taste and numbness in the mouth, probably because it’s kind of poisonous. 

Also re this: “Apparently our overlord did moderately acceptable today. I bet his race report is less than four paragraphs. Double spaced.”— you forgot the 2-inch margins. 

Andy, ha ha re: talking crap. The solution to that problem is just not to do it ;-)  I have a system (don’t know how good it is, but it’s what keeps me accountable): If it’s a certified course, I go by course time. If it’s not certified, I’ll consider both course and watch time and for a PR go by what my watch says if the course reads short and by course time if the watch reads long (which is rare, but happens). If folks are telling me I can get under 20 min., I bet you can! Late congrats on your PR, too! I imagine your course was likely more accurate. And yes, as Mark has in his signature, “consistency is king!” How cool to have a race where so many could witness your triumph and cheer you on. 

Re piriformis… we talked about this before, right? I think mmerkle is right. You’d want strength training to prevent it happening again, but right now the normal stuff applies. Stretching and foam rolling (as well as that tennis ball again) are also good things to do. I like that exercise Flavio mentioned as well. And yes, heating up the muscles before doing any kind of PT is a good idea.

Mikkey, interesting that you mention stretching before every workout (and I remember we had this debate before!) but I recall that being precisely the thing NOT to do before a running workout… unless you mean dynamic ones. There are studies out there that static stretching before a workout is actually more likely to get one injured… and it takes away some of the spring in the muscles needed for a good workout. 

Piwi, thanks for sharing about your kayak fishing competition. That seems really cool, but sorry to read about your son. Sounds like kayak fishing is not his thing if he gets sea sick! Also sorry to read you got sick, but glad it was short-lived. May the base-building continue! 

Flavio, the secret to winning a race is picking one where you know you can beat the competition. I bet you’d crush the competition here, though you’d first have to be able to take the heat a bit better!  

I like your system for getting around the pressure. I think dressing up is a smart idea, since you physically can’t perform your best, probably, and you invite people to lighten things up with you. 

Your base is looking solid. Keep up the work building it. And that CityStrides thing is fun! But stay safe. Only in hindsight do I realize how amazingly foolish I was in my youth, running in some really sketchy neighborhoods. But, as you wrote, usually things are pretty calm in the early morning. 

Oh! And great point about the meaning of competitive. Obviously we do have people here (myself included) who fall under more the 2nd definition than the 3rd (so wannabe competitive versus actually competitive), and people who are actually competitive are not as commonly jerks. But I like that we can all fit together under this name. 

CommanderKeen, wow. That photo says it all! Pretty cool to have as a keepsake of the race, even if that looks excruciating. I also like the more scenic photo too of what looks like a pleasant course, except there was, like, 0 shade. I was amazed at how hot it got, but without coverage, that makes sense. Great report of what sounds like a great, if low-key race. Amazing that you could finish 40 miles on that ankle… you must have torn something if it immediately swelled up like that… glad to read it’s feeling better now, too. And also I was very glad to read you were able to race even if you felt sick before the race! I wonder if cutting back so drastically from your regular near-100 mile weeks was the problem. The body usually doesn’t like that very much (or traveling and then racing immediately after) 

Dave, hope things continue to improve for you! Sounds like it was an stress-fracture that’s healed now? And the best way to avoid race FOMO is when the weather is not comfortable. Also, I do the same thing darkwave described with alternating between marathon and shorter races (though this seems more conducive if you only have one goal marathon a year). Though I disagree that training for a half and full are as distinct as a 5k and a full. Usually I do halves within my marathon training plans. 

Steve, I’m going to remember “race like Tarzan, train like Jane.” Nice one… expect Tarzan was probably more of an ultra runner and Jane a sprinter.  Also, thanks for sharing the notes from the mental skills coach. It sounds to me like you need a better “why.” Maybe you know that you’ve already proven that you’re tough. Maybe you need another reason. I can’t be much help here, as my only answer is “because I know I’m capable of it, even if I haven’t done it yet.” But I like the other tips! I’m copying and pasting them for future reference. :-) 

Btw, if you’re going to be practicing breathing, why not “kill two birds with one stone” and get a breathing exercise device? A coach of mine recommended it a long time ago, and it does do some pretty cool things for breathing techniques. 

Re race equivalencies, I hadn’t put a lot of thought into these (because until this year there was literally no adjustment for my age), but it seems interesting. Apparently I’m more of a hobby jogger. Cool that you can see the AG based on a pre/post time. 

Nice to “meet” you Longboat. Hope you keep posting, even if you don’t do as well in June as you’d like. 

Re lost medals and bandits Pretty sure the quality of the fake bib would not hold up under scrutiny. Losing a bunch of medals does also seem like an odd thing to happen at a race like Boston. 

Re text editors: I have an unfortunate habit of hitting ctrl “something” instead of ctrl z sometimes, to undo, and end up losing everything and not being able to undo that action. So I have a habit of writing these catch-up posts in my notes and then copy/pasting later. 

Re coaches: I’m pro. Why spend all that time and effort figuring something out when you can pay someone to do it for you? Why do even elites have coaches? Etc. 

Re pain tolerance: running pain is different than other kinds of pain. I was born with and through life circumstances have a high pain tolerance (lots of surgeries and injuries as a kid). I still don’t like burrowing into the pain cave for running. I think that’s more of a “can I get my mind to shut it off” than a tolerance thing. 

Nice to meet you, Cal. Heard a lot about you… cool to find out more about you and hopefully you continue doing well in your health progress and posting. Also really great to see the benefits of weight training beyond running supplementation. I keep telling my parents they should make going to the gym a regular habit. Seems like they are now, and I’m happy to see it should have positive benefits for their long term health. 

JMac, if I’m not mistaken, the percentage likelihood of you making it to CIM keeps going up. Glad to see it. And it’s not surprising that your “new” injury was on the same leg. Injuries are usually caused by some kind of imbalance, and until you solve the problem, you’ll likely keep getting something in that leg. For me, it was my left one for the longest time. 

Wcrunner, glad to see there’s nothing to worry about re BP from the last race. Hope your race today (right now!) is going well. 

Re jackets: If it’s a nice jacket, I’ll wear it anytime I need a jacket that can be kind of sporty.  If it’s not a good-looking one, like the bright orange one I got volunteering at Berlin a while back, I’ll wear it during rainy, cold runs when I need a jacket on the run. I wear these things knowing that others probably think I’m trying to make a statement with them, but the trick is to not care what other’s think. It’s good to know my fear that people will think those things is not unfounded, though. This being said, my friend wore the jacket picking up her age group award today… and it was 84 degrees… either the jacket is not well-insulated or she really was just trying to get kudos. 

Mark, it is pretty amazing that you’ve run your last race B2C (before 2 children). I’m sure after a transitional period, hoping both mother and child are healthy, you’ll be able to get a good (if challenging) routine again. Sorry the conditions weren’t the best for an optimal race, but I like how you described the headwind as a new experience. It’s something you’ll be able to draw on in the future! And this sounds like one of those races where it’s about the others running it with you, too, and you were all dealing with the same thing. Also, you’re making me want to visit Wanaka before I visit anywhere else in the Pacific. 

Re CIM… can we just add the standard quotes about CIM on the front page and call it a day? I’ve only been here a few months and even I’ve seen the weather/elevation conversation cycle at least twice. Given that there are hundreds of races out there, I’m sure we can find another equally well-organized, small-enough, consistently decently weathered one with even less incline ;-) 

Re beer : So… until I tried a Coors Light, I was under the impression Americans can’t do beer. I’ll take a Hefeweizen any day. But that one was good. Any other recommendations that will save me buying $2 bottles of beer? 

Re earthquakes: oh! I remember that Virginia one. Yeah, people did at first think it was a terrorist attack… the whole concept is scary. My mom, who has lived in both CA and FL, says that both earthquakes and hurricanes are equally scary reasons not to live in these places, but at least you know a hurricane is on its way. 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Dk nice job in the 5k especially after donating blood etc and all the other life stuff. I appreciate the fact you address everyone in your posts.

I'm no expert but for 5k training 45 mpw would be fine. A vo2max workout once per week would be beneficial maybe start with 6x800m at 5k pace with 2 min jog recovery and extend to 1km repeats later on. Also some faster stuff 200m or 400m intervals to build leg speed and turnover.

My week

Weekly for period: From: 05/08/2023 To 05/14/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                    Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                    in ft
                    05/08 Morning Run 4.98 8.01 00:46:11 09:16 05:46 7
                    05/09 Morning Run 10x400 6.22 10.01 00:47:40 07:40 04:46 7
                    05/10 Lunch Run with Grayson 4.98 8.02 00:43:15 08:41 05:24 161
                    05/12 6c much easier than 18c 7.47 12.01 00:57:34 07:42 04:48 7
                    05/13 Morning Run 6.23 10.02 00:51:40 08:18 05:09 43
                    05/14 Morning Run with Phil 12.44 20.01 01:41:02 08:07 05:03 52

Total distance: 42.31mi

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Keen - damn, nice job slogging it out on a busted ankle.  That hamstring cramp picture is gold, well done that photographer.

Earthquakes - we get the odd minor rumble, typically around a 3 or 4. Auckland has 50 dormant volcanic cones so you get the idea.

DK - dang. As much as I get tired of the grind of work, at least you get to (mostly) switch off on the weekends, or even in the evenings after work. I'm sure you'll enjoy having a breather from uni.  I don't cycle so I don't have a comparison on the VO2Max but the Garmin  running measurement seems to be suspiciously easily influenced by hills and weather so I've never put a lot of faith in it.

Piwi - nice work, gotta say it's been a lot more enjoyable the last few days.

Me - decent recovery week.  Took it pretty easy the first half of the week and then started throwing some hills in there towards the end of the week.  Gonna need the practice... next Sunday's trail race has some tough ones.  Weather has been awesome the last few days, just like autumn hasn't been up until now.

Weekly for period: From: 08/05/2023 To 14/05/2023

in m
                      08/05 That run where it’s time to hit the reset button 5.18 8.33 00:38:41 07:28 04:39 147
                      09/05 That run where some rain would’ve been nice (again) 8.15 13.11 00:58:04 07:07 04:26 92
                      10/05 That run where Lake Okahu has returned 8.37 13.46 01:00:07 07:11 04:28 71
                      11/05 That run where hills were back on the menu 7.51 12.08 00:53:05 07:04 04:24 160
                      12/05 That run where it was 9 days from shirt off to leggings 6.51 10.48 00:39:08 06:01 03:44 44
                      13/05 That run where the weather was perfect for some Big Ass Hills 13.90 22.37 01:40:02 07:12 04:28 361

Total distance: 79.83km (49.6 imperial boiled onions)

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Dorothea - I like to give blood too but I've had to turn it down a few times during marathon training because it's not worth the risk.  Nice job doing the 5km anyway.  Good tip on the breathing device, I'll take a look.

Mark - Very solid recovery week.

me - Pretty big week.  In fact, just had a look and it's my second biggest, 1km off my biggest.  The key session was yesterday and it went really well, just felt stronger throughout and no sign of cramp.  Had 2 electrolyte drinks and 4 gels so it was a pretty good dress rehearsal.  Another med long to back up today.  My calf had a dull ache for the second half of the run so I'll manage that with self massage and keep an eye on it.  Volume will start to drop a little, although my coach has said not as much as last time.  I'll push back as required though.  My fatigue levels feel perfectly fine which is surprising given the last few weeks.

Weekly for period: From: 08/05/2023 To 14/05/2023

in m
                        08/05 Warm up 0.32 0.52 00:03:08 09:48 06:02 0
                        08/05 Easy med long 8.76 14.10 01:13:20 08:22 05:12 9
                        10/05 Warm up 0.35 0.56 00:03:19 09:29 05:55 0
                        10/05 Midweek V Tempo - 6, 5, 4, 5, 6 AeT 9.74 15.68 01:14:29 07:39 04:45 11
                        11/05 Recovery hour 6.70 10.78 01:01:36 09:12 05:43 21
                        12/05 Warm up 0.32 0.51 00:03:05 09:38 06:03 0
                        12/05 Easy hour with 6 x 15 seconds strides 7.38 11.87 01:01:47 08:22 05:12 25
                        13/05 Warm up 0.38 0.61 00:03:46 09:55 06:10 0
                        13/05 Key session: Marathon prep progression. 13km Zone 3 into 10km Zone 4 21.77 35.04 02:46:02 07:38 04:44 27
                        14/05 Warm up 0.32 0.51 00:03:05 09:38 06:03 0
                        14/05 Easy med long 10.93 17.59 01:31:58 08:25 05:14 32

Total distance: 107.77km (66.98mi)

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Thanks for the excellent race report and congratulations on the win!. Now we know that you're "that guy".
                          It seems to me you've finally met your physical limit and it only took a swollen ankle and 50 miles of running to get there.
                          That picture is epic!

Last but not least, I see you twisted your ankle, I've heard strength training is good to prevent that 😂

Dorothea - Just literally run a 5k where the temps are around 10c / 50 F and I guarantee you will run sub 20.

As for 5k workouts, what Piwi said.

Steve - Woah, nearly 110km, great job!

me - Excellent week and the base building continues. I've finished running the streets in that area infested by stray dogs today, it was pretty calm and thankfully only one dog encounter but it was a friendly one so we got along well. I did go 20 minutes earlier than usual, and took a small backpack with me though with a small, folded cardboard pizza box to use as shield/bite bait and a bottle of air wick, which I believe probably has the exact same effect as pepper spray. I figured nobody would think a thing of seeing me carrying a small backpack.

Me and my wife have switched to a different gym a couple months back and we're seeing excellent results so far in the strength training arena.

Weekly for period: From: 05/08/2023 To 05/14/2023

in ft
                          05/08 30'E 3.67 5.90 00:30:09 08:13 05:07 197
                          05/09 75'E + 6x100m strides 9.57 15.39 01:19:00 08:15 05:08 794
                          05/10 60'E +6x100m strides 7.96 12.81 01:02:49 07:53 04:54 732
                          05/11 3x (1600@6:05-6:15 w 800 jog) 7.60 12.22 00:56:48 07:28 04:39 325
                          05/12 35'E 4.39 7.06 00:35:01 07:59 04:58 338
                          05/13 75'E + 10x100m strides 10.16 16.35 01:20:39 07:56 04:56 1020
                          05/14 2h10 long run 14.97 24.09 02:10:00 08:41 05:24 1644

Total distance: 58.32mi

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Dorothea - Is your issue with Ctrl + Z due to being used to the German Layout where the Z is where the Y is on the regular keyboard?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Steve- Really nice week with 2 quality workouts.  Great confidence booster!

Piwi- Great week.  I constantly forget that you are opposite seasons so this is like fall running for me.  That is my favorite time of year here.  Weather getting crisp and cool, leaves changing etc.

DK- The 10K in Berlin sounds awesome.  I'm with Piwi, your posts are almost at impressive as an RP race report.   And yes, the fishy comes from my (other) strange addiction....Fishing and running both put me in a GREAT headspace.  It's very rare that negative thoughts intrude when I'm in the zone either running the roads or walking a river looking for trout.  Gotta think like a fish!!

Drove the Sugarloaf course with my wife yesterday.  At about 20 miles she comments "You're going to run this whole way?  Seems like a long way to run."  Funny thing was, in the moment, it made perfect sense....Yes this is a LONG way to run

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

mmerkle

Steve Like the week, killer workout as I said on Strava.

Dktrotter You donated blood and then raced !!! That's crazy lol. Hopefully you're on your way out of the hell that is the ending portion of an academic year. I can't imagine grading 100 + essays. To answer your question, the summer race series, with the exception of the first race which is a track 2 mile, is very hilly. So that's what the hills are about. Also America can totally do beer. Grab yourself a nice hoppy IPA with 8% ABV lol. Not sure I have recommendations since most of the beers I drink are made locally, so I'm guessing you don't get them down there in Florida. But on the off chance you do, my go to breweries/brands are Stone, DuClaw, Heavy Seas, Dogfish Head, and Flying Dog.

Commander Great RR. Love that picture. I know it's hard to describe how races feel, but is it at all possible to describe what it felt like to run the 50, say in comparison to a marathon? I'm getting nervous about potentially doing the JFK 50, especially with the aggressive time goal I have in mind (this is the jerks thread after all). My mileage is nowhere near yours, and won't be by then obviously. I guess I'm wondering what the limiting factor is. During a 5k-10k it's obviously getting too winded. During a marathon it's more like if I go slightly faster too early I'll blow up. But as I found out, things don't get super painful until the last couple miles if you execute properly. Was the ultra at all similar? From the RR it seems like you just get gradually worn down and then you're going on fumes.

Fishy Wishing you a great race at Sugarloaf!