Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Andy - What does an Aussie have to do with us??? 

Wait, isn't New Zealand a province of Australia? 🤡 I thought y'all had giant spiders eating your pet cangurus in your yards.

Andy - IIRC Jmac also has spousal conflicts related to his running habits.

Sorry I'm no help there, my wife is also a runner, in fact, she's the one who got me to restart my running when I was 28.

By way of not having kids, running takes a very high priority for me and as such I never have "life gets in the way" events.

It's funny to watch how people react when we tell them that we still run and do strength training while on vacation.

In fact some people get weirded out that we still workout on the weekends 😂

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy - What does an Aussie have to do with us???  I follow baseball and would know a little bit...but I'd probably have the same reaction to that accent.

I won't tell you what my reaction would have been to your wife though...

HA! I guess I was attempting to make a joke about an Aussie for your pleasure but if I think about it, if you had made a similar joke about a Canadian commentating Rugby, I would probably say "I don't give a crap about Canadians". Does baseball have some popularity in NZ? Rugby is starting to catch on a bit in the US, especially at the college level with club teams where ex football players get to still tackle people. I like watching the fast pace of a Rugby 7's match but those never get on TV in the US except when the Olympics rolls around. I frequently see people originally from India playing Cricket in pick-up games around town on baseball fields but there are no leagues or anything.

My wife is an organization freak and takes a lot of pride in keeping our chaotic house in order. Her comment had less to do with running and more to do with her unrealistic expectations that I will keep the same order in her absence. She is normally very supportive of my running routine but gets annoyed when running happens at inopportune times. Weeks above 40 miles are tolerable to her when I have a big race coming up but would not be tolerable year-round. Happy wife, happy life...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

dktrotter

Dorothea

Glad you clarified that, Andy, because I was thinking on my run this morning... wait, so Andy expects his wife to get better and then clean the kitchen?

Looks like the run went well today, Steve. 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

New Zealand are a very intimidating rugby team and do a Haka jive before every match and then stick their tongues out which I’m sure scares the opposition.

Their cricket team did extremely well reaching the final at the 2019 World Cup and it was one of the most exciting finals ever…genuinely edge of seat/hand in mouth stuff!  Unfortunately they lost and England won in a closely fought battle.

Here’s an image of Jos Buttler running out Martin Guptill on the final ball. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey why does it have to be like this…you left out that it was a tie and England were awarded the trophy on a technicality. And also that New Zealand won the World Cup in the purest format of the game, what some would call real cricket.

Andy - it has a small following for sure. It’s amazing how much merchandise you’ll see being worn. I’m a Red Sox fan but I feel like I didn’t earn my stripes because it was only 2 years between me becoming interested and 2004.

Happy wife, happy life…grrr, I hate that saying! As if our happiness doesn’t matter. I’m very lucky in that my partner is nothing but supportive of the time I spend running, and of course, I encourage her to spend as much time riding her horse as she wants. Maybe it helps that I’m the one obsessive about a clean kitchen…

Calf held up well last night, very minor tightness. I’m so pleased I used the bike on Monday. In the past I would have run anyway and blown my race chances.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Resident Historian

Running is a high priority to me. Being retired, I can generally find the time when we're home. When we travel I try to find ways to get a run in; some would say I plan trips around races, but that's purely coincidence.
              My wife is very supportive (but not a runner herself). Whenever possible she comes to my races, and she likes to watch the elites when there are separate races like Carlsbad 5000, the Olympic Marathon Trials, and last December when we spectated Valencia. 

I'm watching the Atlanta Braves baseball game right now and they have an Aussie commentating. What the hell does this guy know about baseball???

That commentator happens to have 12 years in MLB, with ~5 different teams, and became a fan favorite in Atlanta where he spent most of his career. Mmm, probably knows a little...

Re heat adaptation: visit me in south Florida! Though it’s actually been quite nice lately. We had hotter days in March. It’s very humid though… 85-90% every morning. But seriously, the extra layers could help. Those sauna sessions (especially if you can do some kind of workout in them) can help… running during the hottest part of the day can help, since the races are usually early or late, right? Also, Andy, I always forget that there’s other places with similar conditions! 84F with 99% humidity sounds right. Congrats on meeting all your goals, btw. Now it’s time to set at least one more for the fall. Glad to read the piriformis is feeling better. 

And mmerkle, choosing between humid and slightly cooler or dryer and hotter is EXACTLY the choice I have to make every day in summer (and I also dislike both). Because I’m lazy a lot, but don’t want/can’t wait until the evening, I end up running a lot at noon. 

Sometimes running becomes less of a priority, though -- like during my visit to DK's area to visit my son and family over the last two weeks. He lives in Lake Worth (used to be in Boynton Beach too). In six days there I got 3 runs of 3-4 miles each, and they were miserable. Although I lived in FL for ~12 years, I was rarely there in summers, and have lost any acclimation. My son and I went to the Keys for three days. The ocean breezes make it a lot better, but we were fishing all day every day, so I only got two short runs there.
              I'm back to cooler temps now in Carlsbad CA now; getting more miles in now.

cal sub-3 at 60 really does seem harder than doing it at under 40.

RP Sub-3 at 60 IS a lot harder at 60 (AG 83.5%) than at 40 (70.2%). It's also a lot harder than 2:45 at 45 (AG 79.7%) -- so set your sights on that rather than waiting.

Fishy, nice job on the sub-3, and redemption after Boston!  

Giving blood: I've rarely donated since restarted running in my 40's. With my fatigue problems of the last few years it's been impossible. Not sure if I'll do it again now. It really does disrupt training, and restoring hemoglobin levels can take up to 12 weeks. When I coached HS cross-country, our top runner disobeyed direct instructions not to donate three weeks before the State Meet. He went from a shot at the win to 7th. a minute off his best.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Marky_Mark_17

Steve - Mikkey's just trying a (very weak) "hey look over there" after he got caught out by me congratulating Keen on his ultra having previously said ultra's were "for retards", and caught out by Joshwolf for wishing Fishy all the best and congrats for his net downhill race after having given me the usual boring schtick for exactly the same thing.  He changes his tune more often than a jukebox with ADHD.

Andy - weirdly in our house my wife would be the one who left the kitchen in a mess and I would probably end up cleaning it up after my long run haha. You could run with the "kitchen mess is temporary, glory is forever" line but I'm not sure that would work.

Looks like Sunday's trail race is gonna be muddy but the race day weather looks like it'll be OK. I'm treating it as a long run with mud and hills and not really a race. It'll be a fun adventure for sure and if it's not I'm stuck with another 5 of them over the next 4 months.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

CalBears

RP Sub-3 at 60 IS a lot harder at 60 (AG 83.5%) than at 40 (70.2%). It's also a lot harder than 2:45 at 45 (AG 79.7%) -- so set your sights on that rather than waiting.

Ha-ha... Interesting... I didn't check my last year's results, but it looks like 2:58:20 I ran in London at the age of 57 is "faster" than my life time PR of 2:48:35 I ran at CIM at the age of 50 - 81.91% vs 81.38%.

Longboat - during all my life I always had some people who inspired me to get better and constantly improve. You are one of them Smile. Knowing and watching people like you makes me confident that everything is possible and you can delay aging to a great extent and make your last third part of your life meaningful and relatively enjoyable 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Longboat I figured that guy must have been a past baseball player. Some old running commentaries from the 80/90s are cringy when the commentator knows nothing about running.

Steve, happy wife, happy life, no strife 

Mark I would have to agree with you. You are definitely a target. That's what you get when you are so fast I guess 

Flavio my best defense in a fight is running like most of us  also surf fights often involve treading water and fighting 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha-ha... Interesting... I didn't check my last year's results, but it looks like 2:58:20 I ran in London at the age of 57 is "faster" than my life time PR of 2:48:35 I ran at CIM at the age of 50 - 81.91% vs 81.38%.

And you could’ve been a 2:30 marathoner at your peak if you’d taken up running at an earlier age. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Fishyone

Flavio my best defense in a fight is running like most of us  also surf fights often involve treading water and fighting 

Piwi- I've seen riverside "fishing fights" and they usually end up with both fishermen ending up very WET The funnier ones are when they try to fight boat to boat, usually throwing things like bait (dead fish) at each other.  I have never witnessed a running fight but I'm sure they happen at track events or very competitive 5Ks....not sure how much energy a runner would have left to go at it after a race but who knows.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Piwi- I've seen riverside "fishing fights" and they usually end up with both fishermen ending up very WET The funnier ones are when they try to fight boat to boat, usually throwing things like bait (dead fish) at each other.  I have never witnessed a running fight but I'm sure they happen at track events or very competitive 5Ks....not sure how much energy a runner would have left to go at it after a race but who knows.

It happens

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdsunNdUdpU

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CalBears

And you could’ve been a 2:30 marathoner at your peak if you’d taken up running at an earlier age. 

Ha-ha... Did you have any doubts I would be much faster marathoner than JMac at his age? Oh... And I didn't have any major injuries Smile even though I played european football every Saturday for regional championship for several years and trained at least 3 days a week in addition to the competition games.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Cal alot of guys who previously played soccer seem to get knee injuries so you are doing well.

Fishy/wcrunner I think men fight no matter what the sport. We are pathetic .

Currently prepping our house for new carpet which means alot of lifting etc. Running will come 2nd for a few days.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ha-ha... Did you have any doubts I would be much faster marathoner than JMac at his age? Oh... And I didn't have any major injuries Smile even though I played european football every Saturday for regional championship for several years and trained at least 3 days a week in addition to the competition games.

The thought of a Sub3 at 60 is alien to a lot of the younger folk…but for us who took up running at a later stage in life and won Moose Mugs at 50+yo then it’s doable if you still have the desire and don’t have any injury issues! 

But the idea that we could’ve run 2:30 at Milkman’s age is hard for me to believe!  Let’s just say that we would’ve been at his level…all shooting for Sub2:35 at CIM. 

Talking of fights in other sports…I once had a fight with my putter during a game of golf (it was a competition in my younger days) and ended up snapping the fucker in two and throwing it in the lake.  Yes, I’ve always been very good at embarrassing myself.