Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

You reeeeeallllly need some new jokes.

What do you say to a hitchhiker with one leg?

Hop in!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

What do you say to a hitchhiker with one leg?

Hop in!

🤣🤣🤣

What's black and white, black and white, black and red?

A nun falling downstairs 🤣🤣🤣

Jmac - there's only one answer: strength training. You now have more time for that, to get stronger and healthier.

You can do biceps curls with one daughter in each hand. You can also tie them at the waist and do dead lifts 😆

You also have more time to sleep, and to eat well.

Eating well will lead to pooping well, which is often underrated.

I'm half joking but this would help taking your mind to a productive state, focusing on things you can control.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

mmerkle

dktrotter The first race is June 1st. After that it's every other Thursday. They are 7pm races so it gets hot.

JMac That's a shame. I like flavios advice though with the strength training. Maybe throw in some cross training too if there's a form of that you enjoy. You could spend your recovery focusing on that and setting goals / challenges for yourself. I hope you can make a comeback during the latter part of this year. You're still fairly young.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Jmac - there's only one answer: strength training. You now have more time for that, to get stronger and healthier.

You can do biceps curls with one daughter in each hand. You can also tie them at the waist and do dead lifts 😆

You also have more time to sleep, and to eat well.

Eating well will lead to pooping well, which is often underrated.

I'm half joking but this would help taking your mind to a productive state, focusing on things you can control.

I'm actually in a great mental state! I'm very happy with my running "career" and have no regrets. I know a lot of folks have the "what if", especially at the marathon, but I don't.

I've also thought about strength training, similar to the reasons Cal has in terms of just leading an overall healthier lifestyle vs. just pounding out miles.

On the strength note - Mikkey I've been driving the ball about 20+ yards farther this year and hitting all my irons 10+ more yards. I haven't changed my swing at all, and I'm hitting it at a level I haven't done in about 10 years. The only explanation is that I've gotten fat from not running so more weight to move around and my legs are not exhausted all the time, which must provide a more stable base. So there's a big positive of not running 

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Today I got the confirmation that I've completed the hardest part of Porto, the region called Campanhã 💪🎉. I'm fairly sure *Campanhã* is a very hard name for English speakers to pronounce 😁

It's probably the Portuguese language equivalent of squirrel.

Anyway, I still got some work to do!

City Strides progress

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Also if you want a fun medical read, here's the full MRI report. Note this is after that 5 to 6 weeks off, so I can't imagine what it looked like back at the start of this -

Negative for acute osseous abnormality. There is moderate distal posterior tibial tendinosis. There is a tendon sheath effusion. There is diffuse inhomogeneity and hyperintensity of the distal tendon fibers. There is a small os tibiale externum. Remainder of the long medial flexor tendons are intact. Peroneal tendons and extensor tendons are intact.

The anteroinferior and posteroinferior tibiofibular ligaments are intact. There is mild bony remodeling at the fibular insertion of the anteroinferior tibiofibular ligament. There is chronic high-grade partial tearing of the fibular insertion of the anterior talofibular ligament (see series 4 image 24). Calcaneofibular and posterior talofibular ligaments are intact. There is chronic low-grade interstitial tearing of the deep fibers of the deltoid.

There is mild surface fibrillation and thinning of articular cartilage in the ankle without exposed bone. Achilles tendon is intact. There is mild thickening of the distal Achilles tendon slips with linear intrasubstance hyperintensity and hyperintensity in the deep retrocalcaneal bursa. There is moderate thickening of the plantar fascia with hyperintensity of the proximal fibers with low-grade partial tearing of the medial band (see series 2 image 7).

A few thoughts:

1) There's always the question of "well, what does the good ankle look like?"  By which I mean that once we hit a certain age, stuff is going to show up on the MRI - it's just wear and tear.  I've been told by my PT/medical friends that as we get older, a clean MRI is very much the exception and not the rule.  And so part of the challenge is figuring out what is incidental versus what is causing your issues.  Which is where the clinical exam done by the physician comes in.

Another way of saying this is - I wouldn't conclude I was doomed from an MRI unless a medical professional told me I was doomed.  And even then, I'd get a second opinion.  The MRI really needs to be evaluated by an expert, and combined with a clinical exam, before any conclusions can be drawn.

All of the above is not meant to in any way denigrate all the physical work and mental effort you've already invested in addressing your obstacles.   Nor am I pooh-poohing this MRI report - there's definitely a lot of content there.   I'm just pointing out that I don't think the language in this MRI necessarily implies the end of a running career.

FWIW (and I don't mean this in a competitive way, though it will probably come across as such) the MRI I got in late 2020 for my right ankle was pretty bad on paper.  The highlights were "Severe tibialis posterior tendinosis with longitudinal split tears involving the distal 9.0 cm...Chronic high-grade anterior talofibular ligament sprain, with at least partial tear."  And there was a lot of other mild/moderate junk on it as well.

I did two shots of PRP into the anterior talofibular ligament to fix that up some, and after some discussion we decided to leave the posterior tendon alone and not try to fix it - that tendon had basically split in two lengthwise, healed that way, and was now doing a perfectly good job.  We ignored the mild/moderate stuff as normal wear/tear.

And that was it.  We strengthened the ATF ligament; my ankle got a lot more stable.  And now, while I have obviously have other issues, the ankle itself is working perfectly well, though I'm sure a new MRI wouldn't read much better.  My overall point, via example, is that you can have an ominous MRI that doesn't tell the full story.

And that brings me to...

2) "chronic high-grade partial tearing of the fibular insertion of the anterior talofibular ligament (see series 4 image 24)"

One of the things a doctor explained to me in my own journeys was just how important that ATF ligament was for stabilizing the foot/ankle when running, and how an issue with the ATF ligament could be the root cause of many other injuries.

If your doctor doesn't bring the ATF ligament up next time you speak to them, I would raise it with them, to get their thoughts on it.  It might very well be the ATF ligament that is the underlying cause of all your troubles - a problem there results in instability of the ankle that in turn manifests in a sequence of injuries. (Or it might not - this is where the professionals come in)

On a separate note, I am on my way up to NYC/Brooklyn.  I was up too late last night and got no sleep, so tomorrow will definitely be a workout and not a race - I'll probably do 2x5 at marathon effort with a moderate paced mile before, between, and after to get to 13.

Jmac and Rovatti - check your private messages.  I should be finishing up the race before 9 am, and my train doesn't leave Penn Station until 3 pm Saturday afternoon, so there is time for a forum encounter if one or both of you has interest and time.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

JMac11

RIP Milkman

DW I should have added context to that MRI, because I believe everything you said. In no way did my Dr suggest I was doomed or anything, more just like "well there's clearly a lot going on, we probably need to do Shockwave and PT to attack this, because PT alone isn't it." It's more just the timing - I don't know if I have the heart to get through all of this to try to treat this for 6-8 weeks now AND then try to get up for CIM given the timeline. I don't want to fly to California to run a PR+20 minutes given everything else going on in my life. I've been very clear from the beginning that I love running for chasing goals. Do I like the occasional run for the hell of it? Yes. But if it's at that level, I'd run probably 1-2x per week. But it's also a question for me if this is the time I just take a pause and come back at this later in life (1 year, 5 years, 10 years, idk).

I would also put it this way with MRIs - how much of this shit is going to show up in any distance runner who's been "seriously" training for more than 5 years? My guess is a lot. It's like that torn labrum discussion we had a year or two ago: it feels like every runner has one, and it impacts very few of them.

Thanks on the ATF thing though. Funny enough - that was the only thing my doctor didn't mention. I'll have to follow up with her on that.

Good luck on the run. Weather looks like a mixed bag - warm/humid but should be raining to keep things cool. I'm leaving for the weekend tomorrow morning, so I won't be able to meet up. One thing that a lack of running has done is give me more time to do other stuff!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

It's more just the timing - I don't know if I have the heart to get through all of this to try to treat this for 6-8 weeks now AND then try to get up for CIM given the timeline. I don't want to fly to California to run a PR+20 minutes given everything else going on in my life. I've been very clear from the beginning that I love running for chasing goals. Do I like the occasional run for the hell of it? Yes. But if it's at that level, I'd run probably 1-2x per week. But it's also a question for me if this is the time I just take a pause and come back at this later in life (1 year, 5 years, 10 years, idk).

Ah, got it. That makes sense. As for the rain....GAH! The one thing I did not pack is a hat (because I thought it was going to be dry). I guess I'll have to pick one up.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - I'd forget about CIM or any future goal race and just do the rehab with some far off goal of running fast again.  The mental pressure of a deadline never helps with injuries for me.  Or if I do choose something it will be so far away that there's no pressure to start ramping up for a long time.  Otherwise you'll never come right.  So a good long term goal I'd suggest would be NYC 2024.

darkwave - Good luck/have a fun workout.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

JMac - I'd forget about CIM or any future goal race and just do the rehab with some far off goal of running fast again.  The mental pressure of a deadline never helps with injuries for me.  Or if I do choose something it will be so far away that there's no pressure to start ramping up for a long time.  Otherwise you'll never come right.  So a good long term goal I'd suggest would be NYC 2024.

JMac - I agree with Steve completely on this. Just focus on getting in base miles whenever you are feeling OK to maintain some of your fitness and then look at your options for spring 2024.

Oh yeah, welcome to the dad-bod club... Now if they only had running calculators to factor in BMI like they have for age grading, I would be set. I actually stepped on the scale this morning and saw a number below 180 for the first time since before the pandemic. It was 179.5 but it started with 17 and not 18. We will see if that number sticks or if it was just a fluke.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Jmac I concur with the others. Just get healthy with no immediate race goal.

Golf will be a great alternative to keep you sane and you can look like John Daly and still be good 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

JMac - I grappled with whether to write anything in response to your post.  Frankly, you've directed some pretty nasty, childish shit towards me on here the last couple of years and the cheap trolling before my last race (didn't even wait until after, this time!) suggested you value your own ego and a cheap laugh over someone else's races, irrespective of whatever else might be going in their world.  Regardless of what you might think of someone else's efforts, that is not how real runners (or actually just human beings in general) should treat one another.

In the end empathy got the better of me and I do genuinely hope you sort that injury.  It's not a nice place to be.  Took me a year to learn to run properly again after my knee injury and it was rough going at times, especially the first period after surgery where it was pretty hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I was a bit of a shit to the people around me at times, largely out of frustration (and cabin fever), so try to avoid doing that if you can.

Good luck figuring your way through it.  You need to think about where running sits in your life and why you do it, and that will lay the platform for when and how you get back into it.

Me - daughter gave everyone in the house a cold before tomorrow's trail race. Good times.  Glad I'm not taking it very seriously!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I don’t think you’d be happy training for CIM, or even running it if you were not able to give it your best. It isn’t a bucket list race, there isn’t much destination about Sacramento, and there isn’t a full forum meet up going on.  Now....if you do end up coming out I’ll make an effort to come see you and cal for sure. Otherwise, we can hang out in New York next November. Right after Halloween. Think of some spots for group photos or a spot where my wife and I can take a phot we post on our wall to show off to friends in 10 years. Heal up. Do it right. Don’t do it twice.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

On the strength note - Mikkey I've been driving the ball about 20+ yards farther this year and hitting all my irons 10+ more yards. I haven't changed my swing at all, and I'm hitting it at a level I haven't done in about 10 years. The only explanation is that I've gotten fat from not running so more weight to move around and my legs are not exhausted all the time, which must provide a more stable base. So there's a big positive of not running 

Yeah you don’t have to look fit to be a good golfer…the amount of power the likes of Jon Rahm has off the tee is ridiculous!  I  watched the docuseries Full Swing on Netflix last month which was interesting as you forget that these guys are human beings and not robots!

Good luck with the shockwave and PT. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

My week

Weekly for period: From: 15/05/2023 To 21/05/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                15/05 Morning Run 4.99 8.02 00:41:45 08:22 05:12 2
                                16/05 Morning Run with 8k tempo 7.47 12.02 00:53:51 07:13 04:29 2
                                17/05 Waihi Beach 4.99 8.02 00:40:20 08:05 05:02 6
                                19/05 Progressive 6.23 10.02 00:47:25 07:37 04:44 0
                                20/05 Morning Run with Allan 5.04 8.11 00:42:03 08:21 05:11 0
                                21/05 Morning Run with Phil and Jacques 14.93 24.01 02:01:44 08:09 05:04 153

Total distance: 70.22km

Long run was my longest for 6 months or so.

Dave jinxed me with bad back talk as mine has seized up mainly due to lots of surfing and removing carpet and underlay from my house as well as shifting furniture.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "