Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Darkwave - hope you enjoyed the half... races on that scale still blow my mind. Very far cry from my 1000 capacity trail run event. My brother ran that half too.

How did your brother do?  I hope he had a good race.

South of DC, in Richmond Virginia, there is the Monument Avenue 10K, which has been as big as 40,000 runners.  It is an out-and-back course, and the end result is that as you are crossing the finish line, you will see the later waves still waiting to start the race...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

ccoakley

South of DC, in Richmond Virginia, there is the Monument Avenue 10K, which has been as big as 40,000 runners.  It is an out-and-back course, and the end result is that as you are crossing the finish line, you will see the later waves still waiting to start the race...

The start line was open with waves starting every minute for over an hour this year.

5k 24:53 (2020) |10k 52:24 (2021) |HM 1:57:14 (2019) |FM 4:24 (2007) |50k 5:57 (2022)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Piwi - Thanks, she is a patient woman 😁

Mark - Indeed there are quite a few excellent locations with direct flights from Porto, one of the reasons we chose it.
        I can fully understand when you say it's painful but fun. Running in the nature feels more like playing as a kid than racing.

Dave - I too have had back problems since the 20's. I remember about 3 years ago my back started leaning to one side like the Pisa tower.
        It was super painful, after a few days I finally found a physiotherapist, at some point he pressed really heard at my right ilio psoas (aka hip flexor) and it released the back.
        It was like dark magic.
        Since then I now use the massage ball to foam roll the hip flexor every single day.

But every now and then it finds a new way to get broken and I have to figure out a new solution.

Mmerkle - We're all different. I get destroyed after nearly every long run. Tempos are always fine and vo2max are almost always fine, unless I do an insanity of reps like 8x1000.

Steve - You're doing well so far, just bubble wrap yourself these last few days. I'd avoid going into the office as well as you have that stupid colleague who goes to the office when very sick with the flu.
        My Garmin watch will go crazy at times, especially when there are bridges or large differences in elevation as sometimes it thinks I'm higher/lower than I'm actually at.
        I'm fairly sure the watch tries to guess your location based on the context, seeing as the gps signal is not accurate enough to convey that some times.

DW - Kudos for the NYC guaranteed entry!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Flavio- You are spot on!  We react so differently to workouts....Long runs don't take much recovery at all for me.  A hard tempo or interval session is a different story entirely.

RE: Back issues. Luckily mine are muscle and not disc issues so the solution is "don't do that" meaning be more careful and don't overextend. When I do tweak something I find that the TENS machine with alternating cold/heat provides temporary pain relief but the only real cure is rest and time to recover.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

New York looks like it will be a bigger deal than Boston for 2024. I might need to be more aggressive on financial decisions in order to enjoy it to the fullest and see all my less than imaginary friends.

I did 50 miles this week. No workouts.  I doubled on Wednesday. 4:30am run for almost 7 miles with an average of 7:15 and some unintentional progression (thanks work) as well as an afternoon 7 miler. Friday was vehicle work day (4-5 hours of work became a 10 minute video) then Saturday became too hot and busy for me to run. Sunday was a long run of almost 15.  I should start some type of speed workouts in June to break up the monotony I think. I just don’t know why other than ‘I want to think it will make me faster for Marathon(s) in 2024.’

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

dktrotter

Dorothea

Steve, you seem to be in good spirits, and I hope it stays that way! Especially next week as the miles drop back. I usually find it hard to keep my mental game with more time from not running. And I second Flavio. Bubble wrap the feet and legs and make sure to stay away from sick colleagues. 

Re inclines: The GPS watches sometimes give ridiculous inclines. As darkwave said, I would use the “correct elevation” function on Strava to see what happens. It doesn’t always work, and sometimes screws up the run overall. 

Longboat, hope you had a good stay in Lake Worth. I bet those were miserable runs, but still, way to get out there and do them. I find it tolerable before 5 miles. After that is usually where the heat starts to affect me. 

Also, wow. Way for your top runner to self-sabotage. Yeah, I’ve read those stats about how long it takes for hemoglobin to restore. I must have naturally pretty high levels, though, since I actually had blood work done 3 days later (not related) and my levels were already back in the middle of the “normal” range. It’s been three weeks now, and I’m mostly feeling back to normal. 

Re fights, this seems like a very male-specific behavior, though I’ve seen two fights during my soccer days. A fishing fight seems like a really funny sight for the spectators. I’m sure it’s mad serious for the people involved. Wcrunner, what baffles me is that that video you shared was of two teammates fighting… that’s so odd! From what I’ve seen, running fights are usually over fairly quickly, since it usually just involves someone getting shoved to the ground and the other being out of reach after that, with people getting in to deescalate the fight before anything more can happen. 

Re injuries, sorry to read you’ve got more than your share this year, JMac. But also glad to see you don’t see it as terminal sentence. As you know, things show up even if they’re already in the process of healing. Hope you and your doc can figure out a good treatment plan to have you back at it at some point. 2024 will come soon enough. darkwave,  I’m impressed with your evaluation of that MRI report. I would have said the same thing about the mild/moderate notes. Any MRI I’ve had pulled up lots of stuff from running and playing soccer that are there, but no where near debilitating. Good to know about the ATF.

Dave, that meme is on point. Yep. I can manage a run before I feel like doing many other things. Hope you can ramp up your running soon! 

And I also prefer to run before 7am, but I also like to be up past 11pm, so I often defer to getting more sleep. Except, like Steve, if I’m on holiday, I know I probably won’t get a run in either way, so I’m usually up and back before the first family member/traveling companion is ready for their coffee. 

Re backs, it is pretty amazing how much we need our backs for running. Lots of people I know who had to give up running had to do so as a result of a back injury. And one of the worst post-race cramps I ever had was when my back seized up in the middle of driving home from my first marathon. It ended up okay, but it reminded me to always make sure I do that core work, with focus on the back as well. Sorry to read that this is a shared experience, though also that it’s particularly bad for you right now, Dave, and hope yours clears up Piwi. 

Favio, nice progress in CityStrides! And happy anniversary. Going to Toulouse sounds like a really nice trip. To parles aussi français?

Darkwave, hope you had fun at that club reunion! And working out you way to get that guaranteed entry into NYC. Have you run that marathon before? 

Mark, that sounds like an intense trail series! Are you at any point in this series doing something that was part of what was filmed for Lord of the Rings? Sounds like some pretty tough inclines. Also, anytime I run on a mountain bike trail I’m challenged and also amazed that people actually ride on these things. And having to focus 100% the whole time is both a blessing and curse. Hope it continues to be fun and safe. 

Mmerkle, are you still in school? I ask, because summer jobs are something I only hear about now that I’m back at uni. Either way, kudos for getting out before work. I would be tempted to do the runs in the afternoon/evening. But as I remember from my 9-5, I usually don’t feel like doing anything, including a run, after work. Some great workouts. 

I personally feel better after intervals than a tempo. There’s something about the sustained effort versus getting to take breaks. There’s probably a scientific explanation for it, but I think those breaks are part of it. Could it also be that your tempos are too fast? Interesting what darkwave says, too. Though I do wonder if it’s more than personal preference. I imagine it does have to do with adjusting the speed for the distance. 

This week I did my first proper workout in almost a month. I went straight to 1km repeats, which was probably a bit much, and I should have built up to it more. But I’m hoping to do a 5K race on Memorial Day (May 29) and wanted to get a decent workout in before the shorter ones on tap for this week. Also trying to do more miles, but it’s funny how little time I have for it when I don’t have an actual plan. Need to find one to accompany me through the summer. 

Weekly for period: From: 05/15/2023 To 05/21/2023

Date

Name

mi

km

Duration

Avg/mi

Avg/km

Elevation Gain 

in ft

05/15

Easy with Beach

01:01:34

08:47

05:27

05/16

Morning Run

00:22:53

08:27

05:15

05/17

Another easy w/beach

01:02:27

09:17

05:46

05/18

5 x 1km w/ 600m recoveries

01:00:31

08:59

05:35

05/19

Cross training day

50:45

05/20

Miles, Then Muffins WBRRC

01:34:31

09:21

05:49

05/21

Easy w/ park strength work

00:33:16

09:34

05:56

Total distance: 36.7 mi, 5.2 bike miles 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

DK nice job on the 1k repeats. Feeling that 5k burn and getting used to it is a big part of that workout.

I do core about twice per week. My posture isn't great, round shouldered, which doesn't help my back when lifting.

Fishy yeah avoiding lifting is a good way to save your back but right now I have no choice unless I pay someone to shift all our furniture out while the carpet goes in, and I'm not quite wealthy enough. I do have 2 strong sons to help luckily 😉

Long runs are hard on me right now. The 15 miler I did Sunday left me pretty buggered for the rest of the day and I took Monday off too.

I went surfing Sunday at a different spot to where I had the altercation and was stretching on the beach and walking along the beach to launch was me old mate who I had the hassles with. What are the chances lol. I looked him in the eye and gave him a smile and nod to which he reciprocated. See I am very mature 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

darkwave - Congrats on the NYC entry and I’m pleased that things are now looking good for you running wise!  I think some folk think it’s a difficult course and it’s probably because it’s an easy first half…but if you’ve been too aggressive then you’ll feel it in the second half. You’re smart and will nail it. 👍

Steve - Looking forward to your marathon and hope that you’re feeling more relaxed!  If you run a perfect marathon it doesn’t feel like you even raced. Ok, that’s only happened to me 3 times out of 42 marathons. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey has run a marathon of marathons with 42 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey has run a marathon of marathons with 42 

Cal and myself have run 15 Sub3 marathons each and I’m pretty sure we’ll both be shooting for a 16th at CIM!

May the best woman win. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - I always thought you were non-binary but this does explain your moose mugs 

I'm okay if it's not the perfect marathon, but a good solid marathon would be good.

piwi - That's probably more related to your recent mileage than age I'm thinking?

Dorothea - 1km repeats is pretty gutsy for your first workout in a while!  But good practice for a 5km.

Dorothea/Flavio - I'm only working in the office Mon - Wed but I may consider staying home next week.  There are still plenty of sick people around and Christchurch is the hotbed of Covid cases at the moment (so I'm told by people at work, I pay zero attention to this craziness anymore).  I'm doing a part-time Masters in an attempt to slightly shift my career trajectory and I just got my last assignment of the semester due the day after the race, so obviously I'll need to have it done pre-race.  That should help fill my extra time and use up some of the taper thinking time!

RP - No harm in some speed but I'd not go too hard especially in the weather you're getting.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio- You are spot on!  We react so differently to workouts....Long runs don't take much recovery at all for me.  A hard tempo or interval session is a different story entirely.

Totally this. Long runs have always beaten me up more than anything else. I can happily run back-to-back workouts... but anything over 2 hours and I'm feeling it big time the next day.

DK - don't think there is any actual Lord of the Rings terrain involved but it felt like that on Sunday. Apparently this was one of the tougher ones, but by no means the toughest (that's the next one).  Also I agree with Steve, straight into the 1k repeats is a tough gig!

Darkwave - my brother ran 1:36, so I think he'll be pretty happy as I think that might be his fastest HM.

Steve - is that like how Albany (near me) is now a measles hotbed because 1 or 2 people had it?

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve - is that like how Albany (near me) is now a measles hotbed because 1 or 2 people had it?

Heh.  I see they are really pushing immunisation for measles and all other diseases that we'd basically wiped out.  Then in 2017 we got a govt that removed targets...then in 2021 something else happened that may reduce trust in Public Health authorities...and they seem unable to work out why the rates of immunisation have dropped.  I avoid watching the news too much at the moment because there are too many face palm moments.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

If you run a perfect marathon it doesn’t feel like you even raced. 

It is somewhat bizarre, but true that my best-run marathons have generally resulted in the least soreness and recovery. (Although I would never, ever say it didn't feel like I raced.) I guess it's the shit-shows where you spend the last 10k redlined is when you completely destroy yourself.

Add me to team "long runs beat me up more than workouts." Despite my whole running career being more geared to distance. (Ran a report of my log that tells me I've done 57 runs of 20+ miles.) Sometimes I'm faster than normal the day after workouts, like I've trained my legs to go faster.

Dave

mmerkle

dktrotter Yep I'm in school. I'm ruling out tempos being too fast because tempo pace is equivalently the fastest pace you can hold for an hour in a race setting, and I recently had that 10 miler. So I think that tells me what tempo pace should be. I think this could just be what dw and others have said, that people are just different. Bold of you to jump right into 1k reps lol. Props for that.

Long runs beat the shit out of me when I first joined the thread, but now much less so. Not sure why. I guess I got used to them. That being said if it's 2.5 hours I will be a little stiff the next day.

darkwave Do you have any races this summer? Any goals in mind for NYC?

Steve Sounds like things were a bit less than ideal before both previous attempts. Maybe that was a contributing factor. Hope this one goes better, especially the week(s) leading up.

Mark I'm with you on avoiding huge races. They sound like logistical nightmares. I want to run Boston at least once to say I did it but the idea of it makes me nervous.

RP I think one good reason to do some speed once in a while is so it won't be such a shock to start doing it again when you start a training cycle. Think of it as maintaining some kind of baseline speed that you can build on when training gets more specific.