Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Fishyone

Cal and myself have run 15 Sub3 marathons each and I’m pretty sure we’ll both be shooting for a 16th at CIM!

May the best woman win. 👍

Only 15? So now I've got to shoot for a moose mug AND 13 more sub 3s....

DW congrats on the race and the NYC qualifier.  My gym has a pool and I've been seriously considering an afternoon swim on Long runs days to keep the muscles moving.  So far I've gotten to the "considering phase" which means I've not actually done it yet

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Resident Historian

Hit 35 miles last week, feeling pretty good about running.

Should have known that wouldn't last.

This morning, oops... and just like that, I won't be joining the marathon training part of this thread for a long time!

I slipped on a trail hike, my knee buckled underneath me, tore the patellar tendon. 

I expect to have reattachment surgery in next day or two. Apparently it's a 6 month full recovery.

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

Crap Longboat wishing you all the best.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I slipped on a trail hike, my knee buckled underneath me, tore the patellar tendon. 

I expect to have reattachment surgery in next day or two. Apparently it's a 6 month full recovery.

Very sorry to hear that Longboat... been there!

I ruptured my patellar tendon off the bone along with a broken kneecap playing field hockey 10 years ago.  Took me longer than 6 months to get it back to normal but the broken kneecap definitely slowed things up a lot.  It's great that you are getting surgery so quickly (mine got done the next day but having a compound fracture puts you at the top of the queue apparently).

The good news is that the patellar tendon does heal back to its original full strength if you do the rehab properly, unlike the ACL and some of the other parts of the knee.  If you're spending time in a knee brace post-surgery like I did, you will end up with a strength imbalance between the two legs so you need to proactively work on that as soon as you can.

All the best and please drop me a line if there's any way I can help!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Dorothea - I speak at a serviceable level of French, I'm able to carry simple conversations.
            Piwi - It sounds like you knocked him out, now he's afraid of you 😵⬅️😁🥊

LongBoat - Ugh, that's so unfortunate. Here's hoping it's a rather quick recovery all things considered.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Oh shit.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Only 15? So now I've got to shoot for a moose mug AND 13 more sub 3s....

The moose mug is easy when you’re over 55. Maybe we can identify as transgender and get the female qualifications (additional 20 minutes I believe) and have something else to brag about. 

after running Boston I’ve realized people who run the Boston marathon are annoying. It really isn’t anything special. Just hearing a friend tell me he read something about ‘people run Boston faster than any of the others’ sounded so annoying. Seeing jackets all over Boston was annoying. Walking around with my backpack showing the 2023 logo makes me feel obnoxiously obligated to kick my own ass.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The moose mug is easy when you’re over 55.

I checked a few Moose Mug times with an age-grade calculator and it seems like the older your are, the more difficult it is.  By the time you reach my age I would have to run an age-graded 92%, i.e. an AG equivalent of 2:13:30.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                        05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Longboat- sorry to hear that.  Hope things heal up quickly but that sounds like a tough recovery. Trail running has always appealed to me but my biggest fear is catching a rock or root and falling.  I barely lift my feet to begin with so it is a real concern!

RP- Try living here...You can't be a runner in Boston and not hear "so you're running Boston right?" If you decide to train for any other spring Marathon the inevitable question is "why not Boston?" Don't get me wrong....it is a special race and the "BQ" has achieved a mystical status that it probably doesn't deserve.  I told myself that I won't run it in 2024 but come September I'll probably be signing up again

Fishyone

I checked a few Moose Mug times with an age-grade calculator and it seems like the older your are, the more difficult it is.  By the time you reach my age I would have to run an age-graded 92%, i.e. an AG equivalent of 2:13:30.

I'm with you WC, the thought of trying to shave 6 minutes off my last time is daunting and doesn't get easier as I get older.

Mikkey - As our resident Moose Mug expert does a 53 Y/O male need to run a 2:52:59 or a 2:53:59 to qualify for the MUG

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Longboat- sorry to hear that.  Hope things heal up quickly but that sounds like a tough recovery. Trail running has always appealed to me but my biggest fear is catching a rock or root and falling.  I barely lift my feet to begin with so it is a real concern!

My PT has strongly recommended that I not run trails because a fall could by very serious at my age (and on a blood thinner as well). According to her and my doctor one's sense of balance decreases as one ages so falls are that much more likely.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Fishy run REVEL Mt Charleston. Downhill race.  Stay in Vegas.  Better weather than East Coast plus you can contribute to my lack of a state income tax.

Am I missing something? Qualifying for NYC doesn’t guarantee me a spot. I just get to enter a lottery or it’s a ‘first come first served’ process so I have to be at the computer waiting for the website to crash.

also…2:53:00 or faster.  No 59 second window from what I know.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

also…2:53:00 or faster.  No 59 second window from what I know.

Sorry, 2:53:00 will not do it... 

2:52:59 or faster  Plus, running REVEL marathon to get the Moose Mug would be a shameful event for a decent person...

Also, Mikkey, I ran 16 sub 3 marathons, not 15 !!!  You can check that in my log - I am not hiding anything from people like you do hiding your training log for some reason 

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Also, Mikkey, I ran 16 sub 3 marathons, not 15 !!!  You can check that in my log - I am not hiding anything from people like you do hiding your training log for some reason 

Umm...your log is hidden.

Dave

CalBears

Umm...your log is hidden.

Oh... seriously? Let me check...

Yeah, it was set to "Only allow members in my groups to view my log". Corrected... Thanks for letting me know.

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile