Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Thanks for the update Longboat.

" PS: First thing Mikkey will do is check his 1:21 at age 45 against this! " 

I remember you came to NZ a few years ago and I failed to get to run with you when you came to my town. I regret that  but hopefully we get another chance.

I see the RA log isn't uploading for some today me included. Have you guys had any issues ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

I see the RA log isn't uploading for some today me included. Have you guys had any issues ?

Yeah I've had to manually add some runs from Garmin over the last few days.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Yeah the half moose mug seems a little easy.

You're not fun! 😁

Also, the same thing happened to me. High blood pressure at the doc's office, did the annoying exam where it measures your BP every half hour, every thing was fine. Now I just measure it every couple of months to make sure I'm no longer spiking. Seeing as mom, dad and 2 of my 3 siblings take blood pressure medication I probably need to keep an eye on it.

Alright, alright, the half marathon moose grail ® was initially a joke, (It's real to me goddammit 😂) but it's a perfect target for me at the moment. Just about 30 seconds faster than my PR.

Since I'm racing the same race as the world half marathon championships, I fully expect the course will be accurately measured.

If I do manage to run sub 1:21:29, and assuming I can carry that fitness into Valencia in December, 2 months after the half race, then it would make my target of sub 2:59 more achievable. I truly really only care about running sub 3 hours, regardless if that's my best possible marathon time or not. In fact, nothing will make me happier than run the damn sub 3h marathon and then feel as if I didn't even race. That would be the optimal output, so that I can recover quickly and carry all that fitness into the shorter races.

Look at me making plans 6 months ahead like a damn fool.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Alright, alright, the half marathon moose grail ® was initially a joke, (It's real to me goddammit 😂) but it's a perfect target for me at the moment.

A slightly easier target, at least for me, is to run your age or better in a 10K,  e.g. 40:00 or faster at age 40. Definitely tougher for the younger set.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

*snip*

If I do manage to run sub 1:21:29, and assuming I can carry that fitness into Valencia in December, 2 months after the half race, then it would make my target of sub 2:59 more achievable. *snip*

SANDBAGGER

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

Wcrunner would it be deemed showing off if I said that was my recovery pace 

Keen a 1.21 sounds like an easy sub 3 but I was in that camp back in 2013 and only just snuck sub3. Same issues as Flavio where my weekly mileage was about 60 but any more and my mind and body protested.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Wcrunner would it be deemed showing off if I said that was my recovery pace 

Only if you're under 30.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen a 1.21 sounds like an easy sub 3 but I was in that camp back in 2013 and only just snuck sub3. Same issues as Flavio where my weekly mileage was about 60 but any more and my mind and body protested.

Damn right, if I ran a 3h05 out of a 1h22 half, a 2h59 out of a 1h21:30 half would be a great improvement.

And I'm not even at 60 miles, barely 90 km at the moment, nothing is ever guaranteed with running. I hope to reach 100 or 110km during base building, with a pipe dream of reaching 120km per week (75 miles).

Now what's the name again of that excellent marathon time calculator that Dave posted a few pages back that was very conservative and you could enter your weekly mileage ?

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Oh, my new Garmin 965 arrived yesterday. It's awesome! Big AMOLED screen, bright and crisp, so many more details available. Garmin's software is greatly improved, and it picked up the GPS signal instantly.

Zebano - Not sure if you read this thread, but I'm making good progress on the strength training side of things. Last Friday I did 25/15/10 deadlifts with 50kg/110lb, but a couple of variations to make it harder, first don't let the weight touch the ground, and second do it VERY slowly and controlled, about 7 or 8 seconds per rep.

Flavio that sounds like a very nice watch. I'm still on the 235....still works well even though I abuse it with salt water etc.

Oh, my new Garmin 965 arrived yesterday. It's awesome! Big AMOLED screen, bright and crisp, so many more details available. Garmin's software is greatly improved, and it picked up the GPS signal instantly.

Flavio - Congrats! That must have set you back a few bucks. I keep seeing the ad for that one on my FB feed; they show a beautiful map image. The problem is I'd never be able to read it without my reading glasses.  I do piwikiwi one better - I'm still on the 220, it's >8 years old. I realize I'm living on borrowed time based on normal Garmin life expectancy, but I plan to keep using it as long as it keeps working. it's pretty bare bones in terms of capabilities, but I'm fine with that. Does not even have a HRM, but I've never monitored my HR. I don't have a lot of interest in the fancier features all the new models have - I don't need my watch to judge me. All I need is time, distance, ability to sync with the phone app, and ability to create/download a custom workout. The only issue is that the battery life is not what it once was. It still gets me through a marathon, which is all that matters. A 50k would be iffy, but all the more reason to never do one of those stupid things. I did get a low battery warning around mile 22-23 of CIM, but the problem was that I turned the backlight on when it was dark at the start, and forgot to turn it off. If I had to get a new watch, I might even go for the Garmin 55 - it's supposed to be an entry level model and not for "serious runners," but it does a lot more than my old 220 does.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio that sounds like a very nice watch. I'm still on the 235....still works well even though I abuse it with salt water etc.

I’m still using a 235.

I thought I’d “upgrade” to a 245 last month, but didn’t realise that the face is actually quite smaller and it didn’t allow me to see all the numbers as I always like to have 4 data fields displayed. So I sent it back. My eyesight is still pretty good for an old man…but the 245 wasn’t for me.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey I remember you telling me your sight hadn't suffered the usual degeneration that most of us get in the late 40s.

I can't read 3 data screens it's too blurry. 2 I can just.

How do you other oldies manage with your sight and viewing your watches ?

I’m a +1.75. I’m generally OK with the 3 fields, but it gets tougher either in the dark or when I’m running fast. In those cases (races & interval workouts), I set up a 2-field display. It just shows lap distance and lap pace. In a race, I mainly just focus on goal pace. Often I don’t know total elapsed time till I cross the finish line.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey I remember you telling me your sight hadn't suffered the usual degeneration that most of us get in the late 40s.

I think I mentioned these pills to you a couple of years ago which I still take. https://www.healthspan.co.uk/shop/optivision/ 

My Dad was completely blind when he died last year and suffered from macular degeneration….so I do a full eyesight check every year in case it’s hereditary.  He didn’t tell my Mum that his eyesight was deteriorating until it was too late and it could’ve been much better for him if he’d got checked up sooner. 🤷‍♂️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)