Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

CalBears

Fishy - ha-ha - some guys who would show up from nowhere were the most memorable ones Smile For example, Nils from Germany whose "training program" I already forgot but it was something crazy - like 200 miles a week or something (and he would never run that mileage because, surprise-surprise, he was constantly injured trying that "program" Smile. Or an American who was hiding in Brazil for some kind of crime in US. Best cases were when a "new runner" would come thinking he is young and fast and he will crash this thing. And watching the "process" and the "result" was fun Smile  But it was still very useful for everybody - there is nothing more practical than real data.

flavio - I was last defender (or we called it a "sweeper"). I played left half-back for my first couple of years, but then one game we played against a reserve junior team of one of the pro teams and our sweeper was so desperate (I saw his eyes), so, I took over, without being told by the coach, sent him to my position and played his. Since that day I never left sweeper role and few weeks later our coach appointed me as a captain. I totally understand the feeling of scoring goals, I did it for all my life before playing for town's team, but cleaning up at the last line of defense was giving me absolutely comparable feeling, if not better. Even without reading any books, looks like back then I already knew that you cannot be a good team without good defense Smile

Dave - we lived in Deerfield and mostly in Northbrook, a little bit further from the city than Skokie. Wonderful places, the huge lake just a few minutes away, safe, beautiful, having all four seasons. Yes, we moved to Cali, but if I stayed there, I would be totally happy. I think, to some degree, moving to Cali was a mistake, but you realize it when it is a little bit late Smile Like, after you bought a house and spent 10+ years in the place. California is so different from Illinois. Probably more beautiful as a place, but I liked people in Illinois more.

I was one of the best in soccer in my town of 30 thousands people when I was in high school, but then I moved to a bigger city and saw real gifted individuals, plenty of them who were just that - gifted by higher power (and hard working and all that stuff Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Cal - I had a similar experience to you, I was always the best in my team but then as I started moving up the levels I discovered just how good you'd need to be.  I wish I had my current discipline for training when I was a teenager.  I played with a guy who was obviously supremely talented but it was still a surprise when he went on to captain the National team and play in the English Premier League for a few years.  He had the talent plus the work ethic.  I was always a striker but I filled in for a mates team once and they asked me to play sweeper - I had some trepidation that I'd have no idea what I was doing but it turned out to be a lot of fun, like you said.  And even though you're the (second) last line of defense, I felt much less pressure.  It was also nice to not need to be creative, all you have to do is stop the other team.

Mark - Good luck for the big day.  I know you'll be checking here...

My Zen approach is holding steady-ish...I have started looking at the weather and it's looking okay.  Much warmer than usual for this time of year but still not all that warm (11C/52F at race start).  Unfortunately there are 30km/h northerlies predicted, on what is a very exposed course.  It's a 2 lap course and the first 5-6km of each lap will be right into that wind, followed by lots of cross winds and tailwinds.  It could be worse, the following day has stronger winds and potential snow predicted which would be much worse.

And with it being race week, of course I'm getting some niggles.  Yesterday it was the ankle, today the knee but I'm not worried about either being an issue.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A brief update on why I'm not posting weekly training numbers or updates.  Basically my training has devolved into nothing more than an extended recovery limited to jogging and walking.  I've tried running at a normal pace and cannot sustain that for a reasonable period. I tried a tempo run last week and couldn't maintain the effort for more than 2:00.

Shortly after running the 50K at D3 on May 13th, I apparently slipped back into a-fib and this time it has not yet corrected itself.  I couldn't get an appointment with my cardiologist until June 8th, so at least until then I'm limited to what I can run. I'm sure there will be several options available to choose from.  One factor I will be considering is how it will affect my running.  Regardless I still plan to participate in the 12-hour at Six Days in the Dome on June 16th, though I may be walking even more than normal for the 12 hours.

I will continue to read all the posts and comment if I think I have anything to contribute.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

wcrunner2- Sorry to hear about the running. A-fib is scary stuff. I nurses tell me they see a lot of ultra runners with A-fib.  Take it easy.

A brief update on why I'm not posting weekly training numbers or updates.  Basically my training has devolved into nothing more than an extended recovery limited to jogging and walking.  I've tried running at a normal pace and cannot sustain that for a reasonable period. I tried a tempo run last week and couldn't maintain the effort for more than 2:00.

Shortly after running the 50K at D3 on May 13th, I apparently slipped back into a-fib and this time it has not yet corrected itself.  I couldn't get an appointment with my cardiologist until June 8th, so at least until then I'm limited to what I can run. I'm sure there will be several options available to choose from.  One factor I will be considering is how it will affect my running.  Regardless I still plan to participate in the 12-hour at Six Days in the Dome on June 16th, though I may be walking even more than normal for the 12 hours.

I will continue to read all the posts and comment if I think I have anything to contribute.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

mmerkle

darkwave I shouldn't have said "new job". It's a job I go in and out of for summers and what not. It's new in the sense that I have to adjust my running schedule to running in the early mornings which I am obviously being a big baby about.

dktrotter I get anxious in doctors offices and they end up thinking I have high blood pressure... pretty embarrassing. I like that week. I wouldn't sweat the extra recovery too much.

Dave Glad you're feeling better.

Cal I like getting into the knitty gritty sometimes. It's not that I think it's necessary, I just think it's fun and interesting. But I definitely agree that consistency is priority. Running is also as complicated as you make it. Most people don't complicate it, but we do sometimes. Very interesting origin story by the way.

piwikiwi I know some people use some app. What is it? Is my style too ugly to read lol? I get it. I like seeing and displaying details though. As I said above, I like the knitty gritty.

flavio Thanks for the advice on strength training. I'm trying to get to the point where somewhat regularly, at least approaching races, I lift "heavy", and/or throw in plyos. We get enough reps as distance runners. Body weight is fine sometimes, I prefer plyos if I'm going that route, but I think it can be a bit redundant. Probably still helps with injury prevention though, which is important.

wcrunner Sorry to hear that. Take it easy, hopefully the check in with the cardiologist goes well and you can race more or less how you want.

Wcrunner sorry to hear hope it all comes right for you.

Steve/Cal after reading your posts all I can hear in my head is Bruce Springsteens  "Glory Days" 

Merkle haha no it's all good just that the app straightens it up nicely on smart phone.

Here is the link https://strava-weekly.herokuapp.com/

When you eventually get to the page showing your week copy and paste to here.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Steve/Cal after reading your posts all I can hear in my head is Bruce Springsteens  "Glory Days" 

Gold.  Maybe this is why we still run into old age...now we can get glory in our own minds on a solo run

2024 Races:

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - thanks for the info 👍

WCrunner - Ugh, so sorry to hear that. Hopefully the doc can provide a few good solutions 🙏

Mmerkle - Do you have a regular job that you do through out the year?
                  Re: strength training I do the same as you, heavy lifting. However, in the absence of that, working the core is better than nothing. And FYI, you can also do "heavy lifting" with bodyweight, there are things that require a good amount of strength and core stability like human flags, pistol squats, decline pushups, pike pushups, there are others.

Like Mark says, consistency is king!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fishy - ha-ha - some guys who would show up from nowhere were the most memorable ones Smile For example, Nils from Germany whose "training program" I already forgot but it was something crazy - like 200 miles a week or something (and he would never run that mileage because, surprise-surprise, he was constantly injured trying that "program" :). Or an American who was hiding in Brazil for some kind of crime in US. Best cases were when a "new runner" would come thinking he is young and fast and he will crash this thing. And watching the "process" and the "result" was fun Smile  But it was still very useful for everybody - there is nothing more practical than real data.

To be fair to Nils, he was over 40yo at the time and ran a 3:08 at Cologne and another 3:08 at Berlin a month later iirc…so it wasn’t like he was incapable of running and always injured. Btw it was a 210mpw program - 3x10milers per day.   I think a few folk took his posts 100% at face value. 

Steve - Good luck at Selwyn marathon, I think your more relaxed approach is good. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Steve I'm just jealous as I have no glory days 

Mikkey Nils was talking about moving to NZ at one stage.

I think it was you who actually met him and he was a good dude ?

Shout out to Mark on his new arrival 👏

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Cal - Re: not being able to eat enough for all the calories being spent - Have you experimented with black beans aka frijoles.
                        Black beans contain a high amount of calories, but also protein, carbs and a good amount of fiber, which is super important for digestive health. It's the national dish of Brazil (together with white rice), and is also very popular in Mexico.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Resident Historian

Glory Days -- Ah yes, "the older I get, the faster I was!"
                          I played every sport available, but tennis was primary after HS. Teaching tennis (and some $ from playing) paid my way through several years of college. But there are definitely "Levels of the Game"*, and I wasn't going to make the next step. Had to get a real job, and after a while I was glad I did. 

Cal - I second Flavio's suggestion on black beans.
                          Those were some entertaining times on the RWOL Marathon Training thread!

WCRunner -- Sorry to hear your Afib has returned. My Afib was diagnosed in early 2018 after a period of deteriorating endurance and running. That was a shock to both me and my Doctor, but in hindsight it may have been there for at least 2 years before. The Afib drugs didn't work for me, just made me even more exhausted. I got an ablation in January 2019; the Afib went away and never returned. Running is what we do -- so definitely consider the effect treatment will have. 

Fishy -- My experience of Massachusetts summer is that it arrive the Sunday before Patriots' Day and lasts two days. Then back to winter.

Steve -- Run well at Selwyn. I hope the day gives you a chance at your best race!

Me -- Quad tendon/knee surgery tomorrow.

- - - - - 
                          * John McPhee book ~1970

Neil

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I'm here to tell you that fast is better. I've always believed this, in spite of the trouble it's caused me. - Hunter S. Thompson

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I love frijoles!  So good.

Longboat - All the best with the surgery and a quick recovery.

My zen approach is holding, but getting slightly unsteady with the weather forecast.  However, I'm leaning on some of the things the mental health skills coach talked about, specifically not wasting energy worrying about something I have no control over.  The forecast isn't awful - much warmer than usual for June with about 12C (54F) at race start which is apparently the optimal running temperature but I would prefer about 5C (41F).  The worst part of the forecast is the wind, 35km/h (22mph) northeasterlies which will make the first half of each lap hard work, but the key last 10km will have cross and tail winds.

2024 Races:

CalBears

Cal - Re: not being able to eat enough for all the calories being spent - Have you experimented with black beans aka frijoles.
                              Black beans contain a high amount of calories, but also protein, carbs and a good amount of fiber, which is super important for digestive health. It's the national dish of Brazil (together with white rice), and is also very popular in Mexico.

Yeah, sure, that's part of my meals. I do not eat it every day, but 3-4 times a week. But it still doesn't solve the whole problem. I am buying Organic black beans (canned) and the whole can is just about 400 calories. If you need 2700-3000 total, there is a long way to go. I also eat lentils (from Trader Joes), 3-4 organic eggs in the morning, custom made yogurt (morning), a mix of organic vegetables for dinner with a 12 oz grass fed steak or wild caught salmon, plenty of extra virgin olive oil, different kinds of protein powders and fiber powders (fiber is a key for good gut health as far as I understand and that what is removed when they make processed foods). I eat different nuts also (pistachios, walnut, almonds, pumpkin, brazil nuts). I stop eating 3 hours before sleep and do not start eating 1 hour after I wake up. I take creatine monohydrate daily - that's the safest and most recommended supplement. The problem I have is that I do not have hunger that much and cannot eat when I am not hungry - and if I run or do strength session every day (one of each every other day), I still have hard time to get over 300-500 calories over what I spend. My weight dropped to 145-147 lbs (66kg) back in August and since then it is very stable despite to whatever I eat. And yes - no sugar and no Coke since last July - it was surprisingly easy, I thought I will have hard time as I could drink 3-4 cans of Coke a day - but no, I just said - no sugar my man and that's it. Doesn't mean I cannot enjoy an ice cream once in a while, but that amount of sugar body can handle without any problem.

Didn't hear anything about Mark's new born, but hope all is good and uneventful!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

mmerkle

flavio I'm a grad student the rest of the year. I work a summer job because I don't get paid over the summer and the pay throughout the year is dirt anyway. On bodyweight strength training, do you ever mess with plyometrics?

piwikiwi Thanks for the app. I'll try to play around with it next weekly.

Steve Try to focus on execution. You can execute well in any forecast. I suppose you won't agree but I was actually really happy with the roughly 55-60 degrees F at Salisbury. And that wind will help cool you down. That's your silver lining. I personally hate the cold. I feel like I burn too much energy trying to stay warm. Maybe the warm air in the early morning will feel welcoming to you as well lol. Also I noticed the weather bothered me less on race morning. You're all in it together and it's game time. Remember RPs advice, do not fight the wind. Keep the effort the same. I think mind games have non-trivial importance in endurance sports, and so my mind game was to think of every gust of wind as a "break". No pressure to run fast when wind is pounding you.

Cal Maybe there is a way to "sneak" the calories in by drinking smoothies etc.? There are lots of variations on smoothies obviously, and maybe it won't quite register as eating. So maybe it won't feel like you're forcing yourself to eat when the appetite isn't there. Also you take creatine? Is this for the weight lifting? I'm just curious because I have been under the impression that creatine doesn't help endurance athletes.