Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Hahahahahaha!!!! That is probably the best/funniest post I’ve ever seen on this forum! 😂😂😂

Mmerkle - My training is mostly secret as I’m kind of almost elite and don’t like to disclose too much. 😎

Fishy - I had to double check that you hadn’t posted your week in KM!  Very impressive and yeah just see how things go nearer the time to decide on your goal. 👍

Dave - I’m thinking the last 10k downhill at CIM must be nice as we all know that the marathon doesn’t really start until mile 20. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

zebano

Dead Lifts! If you have more time then squats, single leg squats, Bulgarian squats. But mostly dead lifts, that will give tons of power. Twice a week is enough. I recommend using an olympic barbell though. 

I think you meant to type "Trap Bar"

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I do deadlifts at home, but switched to a hex bar which is great as it isn’t such a strain on the back. 

Flavio will not be impressed that I use a standard 1” barbell. 🫣

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - That elevation chart is so smoothed out that it's pretty misleading, but I totally get the feeling.
          Also, your taste in pin-up art is pretty classless. It seems a bit over the line/off topic in a running thread. Maybe keep that one as a PM?

I have to disagree with this - we definitely don't want to keep her as a PM.

Also, good to see the world returning to normal with you posting a huge week.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I have to disagree with this - we definitely don't want to keep her as a PM.

I missed that post from Mr Keen.

I generally scroll past the people that I’ve got no interest in. 🤷‍♂️

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Keen - You're my go to guy for gadget recommendations 💪 I feel like you have enough info for a site by now.

Also, excellent week, already back up to 80 and not even trying.

DCRainmaker's massive review site literally started when he reposted a write-up of a single GPS watch he has emailed to a buddy who asked. I suppose that means there could be hope for me if I've already got a backlog of articles to write!

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

DCRainmaker's massive review site literally started when he reposted a write-up of a single GPS watch he has emailed to a buddy who asked. 

It’s pretty amazing what he does, but I find that site way too overwhelming for most practical use. I just need the Cliff’s notes.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

It’s pretty amazing what he does, but I find that site way too overwhelming for most practical use. I just need the Cliff’s notes.

Pretty similar here; at this point I'm familiar enough with most thing I'm interested in that I just look at what's different than what I already have and how much it'll cost me to get it.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Having run CIM twice (including my PR), Grandma's three times, Chicago twice, and Houston once (including my PW)  I will say that I think that Houston and Chicago are the fastest courses out there, with Grandma's not far behind.  (I actually think I like Houston a bit more than Chicago).  CIM is fast, but I'd put it a notch below those other three - the elevation drop is just enough to compensate for those rolling hills that keep coming.

What makes CIM so predictably fast is the consistently good weather, as already noted here.   Give me a choice between Houston or CIM in 45 degrees and overcast skies, and I'd absolutely take Houston.

I went back and looked at my elevation gain for Grandma's versus CIM. You're right: didn't appreciate how much flatter Grandma's is.  Grandma's was 472 of EGain vs. 639 for CIM. But obviously a dead flat course may be easier than both of those. Either way, you're right: CIM is the winner due to guaranteed weather. My experience at NYCM this year immediately made me sign up for CIM!

Also my memory of the last 10K at CIM is that it's dead flat.

DK - I agree with some other posters, 9 @ HMP seems impossible! I think the most I've ever done in a training effort is 4. Probably could have pushed to 5 if I really had to, but once you get to 6 I would feel like I'm racing.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

DK - I agree with some other posters, 9 @ HMP seems impossible! 

Pfitz gives you 12 with 7 @ HMP, and to me it's the hardest workout of the cycle. To do 9 seems crazy; if there was ever the idea of racing your training, this would be it.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Didn't assume so. I'm actually a big Mikkey fan. I just wish he shared more of his training and another Tyson picture soon. But I have a similar attitude regarding goal times. Make them aggressive.

He’s 10kg now and looking amazing…if you continue to impress me with your training then I’ll post some new photos. 😄

Pretty similar here; at this point I'm familiar enough with most thing I'm interested in that I just look at what's different than what I already have and how much it'll cost me to get it.

Honestly the place I go is the Garmin site. I know I'm not switching brands, and they have a nice "compare" feature where you can check a few models and get a detailed feature comparison grid. At some point I will need to replace my 8-year-old 220, but probably not till it's completely dead.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Competitive Jerks = The Waltons thread.

🤡🤡🤡

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mikkey - Boozing on a Monday night might be why your PRs are from prehistoric times*

*There you go, you won't get that on The Waltons

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Just had a good catch-up with Piwi with a tour of the waterways around here, might try and fit another one in Thursday.  He is surfing lots and has the tan to go with it.  He says he's not really on here these days as he's mostly just doing a bit of running for fitness and not really targeting races and stuff.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"