Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

Steve/Longboat great to see you caught up.

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

mmerkle

Thanks all for the reactions to my race/race report. It was a character builder for sure.

Fishy Those splits are great. Nice save with the Cliff Bloks. Honestly I can relate to those people at mile 3 fighting for position. I hate being stuck behind people running a slower pace than I'd liike, it almost feels like I'm somehow burning more energy doing that. Mental energy for sure. Congrats on the PR.

dktrotter I can relate, I have the same goals. More strength training and less alcohol during training. I tend t dial back apparoaching a race but it needs to happen sometimes during training too for the recovery. Nice job not giving in to the negativity/panic that tends to creep up during the later stages of the race. Congrats again on the PR. You had a big year. I think you're capable of a 100 miler. Just up t you if you want to do it.

Cal/flavio I do some long runs without fuel and some with. It depends on weather and how I feel. I agree with that principle though.

RP/dktrotter I used Hoka Speedgoat 5s for the trail section and then Hoka Mach 5s for the rest. Part of my issue with the rocks is they were also covered in leaves. I'm not sure how people are so efficient at running that section. I was so afraid to fall that early in the race. Also dktrotter you brought up something I wanted to ask about. I heard everyone slows down in an ultra, even the elites, so it's common to (CAREFULLY) bank time in the first half or so. That's what I was aiming to do. Running 8-8:15 pace feels very efficient and controlloed for me so I thought it was ok to do.

dw Glad to hear that early race issue seems to have cleared up. Hopefully that's the case for Houston, and sounds like by then the slowing issue should be overwith.

Dave/Steve Nice job on the 5k PRs. Love to see that.

I'm in rest/recovery mode for a bit longer. Will do some cross training this week but it might be another few days to a week before I try running again. My IT band is still irritated. I can even feel it when I walk. I'd like this to be gone so I can start going hard again. I have some ambitious 2024 goals.

Speed Surplus

Oops, I've been away for a bit and missed a few weeklys and some great racing.

Fishy - What a race and a nice report, too. Inspiring!

DK - There are so many variables with marathon training - sorry that the sniffle threw a little wrinkle into your plan, but a PR is a PR and it sounds like you still executed pretty well.

merkle - Jesus, that sounds absolutely brutal. Finishing is an accomplishment.

Not too much notable from my past two weeks, other than cracking above 30 mpw for the first time since my injury. I also did one run with a 30 year-old cousin who is pretty fit (said his VO2max is 58 and I believe it) but has never done a single running race in his life. He and his wife took me on a punishing ~10 mile trail run, also the farthest I've gone since the injury.

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DWave - Nicely done with the rust buster, and solid week. I'm glad the meds seem to (mostly) be doing good things. Interesting on how it's only faster running that's affected. Possibly due to some change in glucose metabolism caused by the lexapro? This reminds me of me on antibiotics.

DavePNW - Congratulations on the big 5k PR and on the casual marathon.

DKT - Evanescence, yes!
          There's likely to be no replacement for the race. And unless I surprised myself, no fitness to hit the goal, either. It looks as though I'll have to reevaluate my goals for next fall. Que sera, sera.

Steve - Congrats on the new PR as well!

Nothing notable in terms of running accomplishments from me, though I continue to slowly build back. The illness seems to be 98.87%+ gone, though I'm going to be out of my planned (NYC qualifying) HM this coming Saturday and I've officially let go of my yearly mileage goal, which also means an end to my "each year logs more miles than the one before" streak.
          Now what am I going to do next fall?

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Goal pace for CIM is 3:34 or about 8:09/mi. Girl just ran a 7:12/mi Turkey took 3 mile (not 5k) race locally on Thursday. I’ll have to remind her to eat at 6 mile intervals as I think this and going out too fast has caused her downfall. She knows the course and said a BQ is the goal so she can apply

to get in, and everything faster is a bonus. She ran 3:45 at MCM and even said the heat got to her. 

my plan is consistency from the start. Pace band set for 3:34 will come with me and will be compared to the course timing. 

current hurdle is getting back to the hotel. Either I take a ride for $45, or someone gives me one.  Parking at the finish line means I have to do a ride Saturday night then walk just over a mile to the start. Leaving the truck at the sleeping location means I get a ride after the race.  

oh and the expo now closes at 5pm. I thought it was 7pm in the past.  

cal and mikkey if you’ll be at the finish area after 10:30 let me know. I’ll be showing up shortly after this.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

CalBears

cal and mikkey if you’ll be at the finish area after 10:30 let me know. I’ll be showing up shortly after this.

Mikkey chickened out of the CIM, don't you remember? I will see if I be there - if my daughter is with me in Sacramento, I might not stay that long at the finish line (ha-ha - of course if I complete the race fast enough ), but there is a big chance she will not come with me - I let you know!

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

Marky_Mark_17

RP/dktrotter I used Hoka Speedgoat 5s for the trail section and then Hoka Mach 5s for the rest. Part of my issue with the rocks is they were also covered in leaves. I'm not sure how people are so efficient at running that section. I was so afraid to fall that early in the race.  

This! Any time I see potentially greasy or treacherous surfaces in a trail race I go to ultra-conservative mode.  There was one 4-5km stretch along the coastline early in the Xterra Shakespear race which involved a lot of rock hopping at low tide and I was amazed at the speed some runners were flying over it.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Runway5 / National 5k Champs, 16:22, National Masters AG Champ!

Up next: Still working on that...

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mikkey chickened out of the CIM, don't you remember? I will see if I be there - if my daughter is with me in Sacramento, I might not stay that long at the finish line (ha-ha - of course if I complete the race fast enough ), but there is a big chance she will not come with me - I let you know!

No. I didn’t read that part.  Too busy not running.  If I see you I see you. If you go home I won’t be offended.  It’s the first time I’m doing a marathon alone. No family so it’s weird.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

All that effort to write my bio at the start of each year...

That made me laugh as I don’t pay much attention to bio’s….but even I know that you’re in your early 20’s.

Big congrats on the 5k PB and I think you will blossom next year in longer distances as well. longboat looks like a giant next to you. 

Cal - Yeah I’ve chickened out in your head. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

I do find the bios interesting, but that's not the point here. Stevepf and SteveChCh are simply two different posters, with Stevepf indeed being the older one IIRC.

Steve - Solution to your problem: 12 1/2 laps on a track - accurate and flat.

Michael - Have you tried cross friction massage on your ITB? You can do it yourself, anytime, almost anywhere.

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fishy - a little late to the party here, but what a race!!! That first half vs second half split is a work of art. I always felt you were going to get that PR with your training, and I’m so glad to see it get done. You’re an awesome addition to the thread.

I had hoped to be the person to dethrone Mikkey as latest MM winner, but I think you have the best shot out of anyone here!!! Keep up the great work and attitude.

Mikkey - sorry to hear about CIM. It seems like you can’t shake the injury bug. I’ve really learned in my latest bout that a lot is just shitty genetics (I always thought so, as with most stuff, but I think a lot of us runners think we can fully control it or prevent it). We can only control so much.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Fishy - a little late to the party here, but what a race!!! That first half vs second half split is a work of art. I always felt you were going to get that PR with your training, and I’m so glad to see it get done. You’re an awesome addition to the thread.

I had hoped to be the person to dethrone Mikkey as latest MM winner, but I think you have the best shot out of anyone here!!! Keep up the great work and attitude.

Mikkey - sorry to hear about CIM. It seems like you can’t shake the injury bug. I’ve really learned in my latest bout that a lot is just shitty genetics (I always thought so, as with most stuff, but I think a lot of us runners think we can fully control it or prevent it). We can only control so much.

Thanks and good to hear from you again!  How are things and is the shockwave helping?

Yeah I first injured my Achilles in late 2011 and never fully recovered and probably didn’t deal with it properly at the time as there is scar tissue and I’ve literally used 100s of rolls of KT on my ankle ever since!  I have a similar attitude to you in that if I don’t PR again then it’s no big deal as I’ve achieved what I wanted in running (MM) and it’s more a case of can I get under 3 hours again!  My wife thinks I’m totally crazy that I’d risk further injury just to beat some Russian that I know on the internet.   I had another x ray last week and was pleasantly surprised that there is no noticeable difference from 2 years ago so let’s wait and see.  One thing for sure is I’ll be playing a lot of golf next summer!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Steve - Wow, that's quite the variation and it reminds me of when I lived in Porto Alegre.
                            Also, you look well for a 60 year old 👴

Mark - Thanks for the info, I suppose the hot dry air from Australia is still the better option heh.

DW - My weather obsession is pretty much non existent heh, but that's probably cause I'm obsessing about 20 other things.

Longboat - I'm sorry to hear Mrs Boat (thanks Steve) was uneasy while on a boat, but glad to hear you found better weather.

Dave - I'll repeat: It blows my mind that you can run a marathon like a long run 💪👏

Keen - Is the illness 98.88% gone today?

RP - It sounds to me that it's much better to park at the finish line and take a ride on Saturday night.
                            I'm sure fighting with 20K+ people after the race ends will be much more difficult and the ride will cost much more than $45.

Mark/Merkle - Some people have superb balance, I believe it's a big factor in being able to leap quickly in those conditions. Also familiarity with similar terrain.
                            Plus being a little dare devil probably helps.

me - After every sequence of logical thoughts I arrive at the same conclusion that I'm not ready. Not enough mileage. MP runs feel like HMP pace runs, they don't feel easy at all. I have cough bouts a few times during the day, which are possibly stomach related (reflux).

I am gonna rely on sheer faith. That same dumb faith that I have at the start of every 5k race that today I'm gonna break 17 minutes.

+ being metronomical with the pacing.

Here goes nothing.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Fishyone

Flavio- All of that sounds entirely reasonable and my thought process before every marathon MP felt like MP exactly ONCE during the 5 months leading up to the race...most other days it felt too hard.  I ran a 10K @ HMP that felt like a 10K PACE Don't let it get into your head.  I've been super impressed by your training and you are prepared.  The taper is a magic ....just run your race.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio- All of that sounds entirely reasonable and my thought process before every marathon MP felt like MP exactly ONCE during the 5 months leading up to the race...most other days it felt too hard.  I ran a 10K @ HMP that felt like a 10K PACE Don't let it get into your head.  I've been super impressed by your training and you are prepared.  The taper is a magic ....just run your race.

Thank you, that's exactly what I needed to hear!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly