Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 574 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

60 miles running and 1000 yards swimming.
    M: 8.5 miles very easy (9:29) and streaming yoga
    T: 10 miles, including 15 ~400s starting at 1:40 and ending at 1:36. Recoveries started too long (1:40-2:00) but were shortened to 60-70 seconds by the end. Followed with leg strengthwork and 500 yards recovery swimming.
    W: Streaming yoga and 8.5 miles very easy (9:41)
    Th: Upperbody weights/core and 6 miles very easy (10:24) on trails.
    F: 8 miles, including a 1600 in 7:06 and some strides, followed by injury prevention work.
    Sa: 4 miles very easy (9:37) and streaming pilates.
    Su: 3 miles warm-up, 15K race in 1:08:04, and 2.5 miles cooldown. Followed with injury prevention work and 500 yards recovery swimming.

Tuesday's workout is best explained by a pair of pictures (second and third on this Instagram link). Our local track is a mess.  We did "400s" by starting after the plywood road and finishing before, while also running wide to avoid the fencing on the inner lanes.

I did a tune-up race for Houston this weekend. I was slow but thought I raced well and was overall happy with it. It was a good tune-up. Race report here.

No pool-running this week, just because I pool-ran Sunday of last week and will pool-run tomorrow.

Will try to catch-up on shoutouts.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

CalBears

Sorry for not posting... I think I recovered after the marathon - nothing hurts and I start thinking about getting back to running again - just feel lethargic and lazy and didn't run a mile after the marathon Smile

Btw, all this talk about Moose Mug.... Checked my AG for the CIM marathon - 81.84% - not bad - I am happy with that - running Moose My time (2:57:30) would only have 82.5% - not a big difference in numbers but still so hard to achieve.

Post marathon analysis - need to figure out the issue with my quads - why? And the cramping at the last mile... I wonder if me not taking fluids for the last 6-7 miles has anything to do with it?

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DavePNW

Post marathon analysis - need to figure out the issue with my quads - why? And the cramping at the last mile... I wonder if me not taking fluids for the last 6-7 miles has anything to do with it?

I think sometimes people overstate any correlation between fluid intake and cramps, but…why did you not take any for the last 6-7 miles? I think it got a little warm near the end too.

Dave

CalBears

I think sometimes people overstate any correlation between fluid intake and cramps, but…why did you not take any for the last 6-7 miles? I think it got a little warm near the end too.

It's actually just a theory... I think I didn't take fluids mostly because I wanted to focus on the running - picking up a water cup and changing running trajectory kind of distracts a little bit. Plus, this time I had few issues with running into other runners when picking up the fluids - I actually started not to like couple of things about CIM - not gear pickup at start line and very short water lines - it's basically maybe around 30 meters every 2.5 miles on one side of the road - every year the same issue - just do not like it. And this year I had to almost stop few times to pick up a cup, otherwise I would run into another runner. But yes, probably fluid was not an issue - I am not that sensitive like flavio Smile

paces PRs - 5K - 5:48  /  10K - 6:05  /  HM - 6:14  /  FM - 6:26 per mile

DavePNW

Water stations at crowded marathons are one of the great aggravations of our avocation. Being able to grab a cup while moving in a pack at race pace and getting more in you than on you is a always a challenge. But of course it’s a necessary evil. I try to get a cup every ~2 miles, or virtually every station, to at least get a little in me. I always think it would be better to either:

(1) intentionally come to a complete stop at a few points (if you can manage with the crowd) so you can really get a good drink; I often recommend this to newer marathoners, even though I can’t bring myself to do it.

(2) wear a hydration vest so you can avoid the situation completely. Which I have also never done and don’t even own one. And some races, mainly the majors I think, don’t allow it.

Dave

shouldbedeleted

DW - Excellent race.
              I'll also take the chance to shill for the Rudy project wrap around running glasses.
              They have very small wholes in the lenses that make sure they never ever fog.
              You can also put your prescription lenses in them, inside the external lenses.
              To top it all, the "arms" on the glasses are of a flexible material so you can adjust it according to your head.
              I'm looking at the Rydon slim for my wife (she's also petite like yourself).

Cal - So you had some cramps huh! How fragile of you πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
              That book "The athlete's gut" spends a while talking about this and though the author states there is no known cause (there could be many), the most likely one is that you ran too fast for your fitness level.
              And that the theory of cramps being related to hydration has been disproven or at least has many studies stating otherwise.
              Also stop going to this little county fair that is CIM, instead go to the professional race in Valencia.
              The aid stations in Valencia were like 200m long, I'm not exaggerating. And they were giving you 300ml water bottles or roughly 10oz or whatever silly unit the US uses.
              Very easy to drink because it's a bottle, and the bottle is small enough that you don't waste much of it.

Also, I agree I'm really sensitive to direct sun rays in the warmer months. Conversely I seem to be, compared to most, way tougher than normal when it comes to handling cold or damp weather, running in the cold rain, or training in muggy very hot weather.

I also seem to be extremely resilient to aerobic pain, having had races in the past where I had a taste of blood in my throat by the end from breathing so hard, and contrary to many it seems, I really enjoy the aerobic pain at the end of a 3k or 5k or 10k race.

So yeah, you win some, you lose some, I guess.

Also, when are you going back to strength training? You know you can do a moderate level of strength training and keep running at the level you're running right?

me - I have a new working theory for my sudden 5% loss of fitness: Hiatal hernia inflammation. According to the internets, possible causes are eating something wrong (ex: too much melted cheese, which contains too much fat to handle at once) or a strength training exercise that requires a lot of compression on the chest (Ex: benchpress or a heavy squat). That could cause the hiatal hernia to move just slightly or become inflamed, and then it would press against the bronchial ways or your lungs. It can even cause lung deflation.

This would explain pretty much all the symptoms and the fitness loss. But I need to visit a gastro doctor to check how it's possible to confirm that, or if it's something else.

2 other things I've learned from the internets:

- I could try liquid carbo gels instead, they're easier to consume (texture) and contain less sugar per portion, so less likely to cause a glicemic spike that turns into a glicemic crash.

- I could carry gels in arm warmers, so one gel in each arm and another in the back pocket of my shorts and things would be easier.

dktrotter

Dorothea

After a week after Philly mostly off besides cross training, and a week starting to feel back to normal, I had a week where about half of the miles were race miles. Posting my weekly, since there's two races in there that may be interesting to look at. The reports are in my log here (Holiday Mile) and here (Palm Beaches Half). Otherwise, I'm kind of drowning in end of semester work and hope to circle back properly to the other folks soon.

Weekly for period: From: 12/04/2023 To 12/10/2023

Date

Name

mi

km

Duration

Avg/mi

Avg/km

Elevation Gain 

in ft

12/05

Light Progression w/Strides

00:49:42

08:52

05:30

12/06

Warm up

00:12:04

08:06

05:02

12/06

Boca Holiday Mile

00:06:01

06:02

03:51

12/06

Cool down

00:13:42

08:57

05:34

12/09

Easy plus strides

00:26:25

08:55

05:33

12/10

Warm-up

00:08:49

10:45

06:41

12/10

Palm Beaches Half

01:39:28

07:35

04:43

12/10

Cool Down w/ Ze'ev

00:11:38

11:31

07:11

Totals: Time: 03:47:49 - πŸ¦…Imperial: 27.5 mi - Metric: 44.26 km

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: June 29, Hasenheide Parkrun, 22:19. A bit disappointing time, but it was still a fun event. 

Running Problem

Problem Child

It's actually just a theory... I think I didn't take fluids mostly because I wanted to focus on the running - picking up a water cup and changing running trajectory kind of distracts a little bit. Plus, this time I had few issues with running into other runners when picking up the fluids - I actually started not to like couple of things about CIM - not gear pickup at start line and very short water lines - it's basically maybe around 30 meters every 2.5 miles on one side of the road - every year the same issue - just do not like it. And this year I had to almost stop few times to pick up a cup, otherwise I would run into another runner. But yes, probably fluid was not an issue - I am not that sensitive like flavio Smile

I’m actually waiting for them to make runners fill cups

themselves.   Seriously. It’s the only other thing they could cut out except for maybe medals. I had a cup I considered bringing with me but didn’t think I’d be able to fill it except for pouring from one cup to another.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I’m actually waiting for them to make runners fill cups

themselves.   Seriously. It’s the only other thing they could cut out except for maybe medals. I had a cup I considered bringing with me but didn’t think I’d be able to fill it except for pouring from one cup to another.

I'm seeing more races being cupless, so you have to bring a collapsible cup or water bottle to refill. Sometimes the volunteers will fill them while you grab other food, but often you end up refilling them yourself because the volunteers are busy preparing food or other activities.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K, 9:11:09
                          06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour, 35.82 miles
                          10/12 - Hainesport 12-Hour

Speed Surplus

Quick weekly drop. Trying to consistently nudge back into consistent 30-35 mile weeks, but being mindful about overdoing it when my calves in particular are sore. Tried to touch on sub-20 5k pace in a bit of a track "workout," found it to be ridiculously difficult after not running "fast" all year.

RE: The continued 5k moose mug talk - when I ran 18:49, second place was 20:09...by a guy in the 65-69 age group. His result graded to 83.2% 😳

https://www.parkrun.us/renton/results/157/

Weekly for period: From: 12/04/2023 To 12/10/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                      Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                      in ft
                      12/05 Ez tread with moderate finish 6.03 9.70 00:51:48 08:35 05:20 0
                      12/06 Easy, dodged the rain πŸ™ 5.09 8.19 00:45:10 08:52 05:31 148
                      12/07 Didn't want to, did anyway 5.02 8.08 00:43:29 08:40 05:23 0
                      12/09 Grateful to be able to do this, even in this horrible weather 7.00 11.27 01:01:25 08:46 05:27 243
                      12/10 Lunch Run 1.03 1.66 00:08:51 08:36 05:20 10
                      12/10 Trying for 6:25 pace (too fast) 0.25 0.41 00:01:32 06:08 03:44 0
                      12/10 800 targeting sub 20 5k pace 0.49 0.80 00:03:09 06:26 03:56 0
                      12/10 Gentle progression to perceived tempo 2.01 3.24 00:15:39 07:47 04:50 0
                      12/10 Cool down 0.50 0.81 00:04:45 09:30 05:52 0
                      12/10 A few mins of soccer with kids 0.40 0.65 00:05:29 13:43 08:26 0

Totals: Time: 04:01:17 - πŸ¦…Imperial: 27.85 mi - Metric: 44.80 km

5:27 / 18:49 / 40:32 / 88:12 / 3:12

Dad on the run.

Darkwave - 60 miles for the week! that just seems crazy to me. I think the most miles I ever ran back in my late 20s (recreational runner) was like 145 for the whole month. Cant imagine doing 60 a week.

CalBears - Good to know that you are feeling recovered, now get back out there and get those miles! Smile

Flavio - I hate running outside when it is warm or humid. I much prefer the cold, although my cold is usually rarely below 40F, but my best runs are always in the 40s and 50s F.

DKtrotter and Somethingclever - Great job on the training for the week. My training was going really well until it wasn't...

And... speaking of training. This is how my wonderful week went (you can see my runs in my training log so I won't go over each day) Mon, Wed and Thurs I hit all of my target, legs felt great, lungs felt great. Also, my wife brought the kids to meet me at the park to get some running in as well so it was fun to randomly see them running together. Fast forward to Saturday's long run and it was miserable. Complete and utter garbage. I couldn't breathe, my legs weren't working, and the fatigue was just overwhelming. Now, I get home and feel like crap, I'm telling my wife how horrible my run felt and then she realized why I felt the way I did. Rewind to Friday and it was a crazy day. I get to work and its hella busy it's 12:30pm and I still haven't had a chance to eat but the blood mobile was outside and I'm O+ so I knew I needed to donate. I go in and donate my pint, get back to my building, go to get my lunch out of the fridge, and it was cleaning day. My lunch got trashed and our cafeteria was already closed. I've also only had a 20oz bottle of water for fluids and it's almost 2pm. I leave work at 3pm don't get to eat anything until 4pm and then I head over to my friends house for a night of D&D. I don't get home until about 12:30am, asleep by 1am, and get up at 6:30am for 6.2 miles. So, not only am I running on 5 hours of sleep, I'm short almost a pint of blood. Not my best moment. I opted to skip Sunday's recovery run as I still wasn't feeling great and am going to move todays run to tomorrow.

Now, My daughter is working through IT bands issues on both legs and I have been helping her with strength and conditioning so they are getting better but I'm afraid of her jumping out and doing to much to soon. Luckily, my 9 year old has started doing a couch to 5k program and she has been getting out there with him and giving him company so it's been a nice way for her to kinda test the water and see how she is feeling. Unfortunately she has had an accident over the weekend. Saturday was her 14th birthday and a couple of her friends were over. They were outside jumping on the trampoline and my daughter came down wrong and rolled her foot up underneath her. Her friend came barreling into the house and told us we needed to go outside that my daughter was hurt, I can hear my daughter screaming and crying. We get her brought in the house and have her R.I.C.E that ankle. Sunday morning she was able to hobble around on it and today the swelling has gone down tremendously and she can move her foot around. I know she still has weeks of recovery ahead before she can really start running on it again. I feel bad for her too because outdoor track practice is starting up mid Jan. and she just can't seem to get well enough to get some miles in before it does.

Chasing the sub 20 5K.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RE: The continued 5k moose mug talk - when I ran 18:49, second place was 20:09...by a guy in the 65-69 age group. His result graded to 83.2% 😳

https://www.parkrun.us/renton/results/157/

Similar result on my first park run:

https://www.parkrun.co.nz/foster/results/170/

89.42%!

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Hagley Park Run July 20, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

DavePNW

Similar result on my first park run:

https://www.parkrun.co.nz/foster/results/170/

89.42%!

Holy shit, and that's not even the guy's best - he's hit 90%!

https://www.parkrun.co.nz/foster/results/173/

The fast old guy I know around here has "only" hit 88.9% - 18:02 at age 60.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Crazy fast.  He's actually crossed over into the 65-69 age group this year and I've noticed he's "only" running low 19s now.  He came second in the Nationals for his age group - the guy who came first beat him by over a minute which is pretty good going considering 90% is considered world class.

Also, the guy who came third in my first park run was pushing a pram...I saw their photos on Facebook for Saturday and saw him pushing his pram again - he ran 18:32 this time!  Faster than my PR, while pushing a pram.

jblack - Yep, that all points to a rough run.  When I donate blood I'll be very careful about water intake and be prepared to scale back my next run.  I've been lucky so far not to have a big crash and burn - I save those for other days.

5km: 18:34 11/23 β”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 β”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 β”‚ M: 3:29:54 6/24

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024 DNF

Wellington Marathon June 23, 2024 3:29:54

Hagley Park Run July 20, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Timaru Ten October 26, 2024

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Also, this 10k was cool because I’ve now run PRs in all 4 major distances in 2023. Squeezed it in under the wire!

Excellent work on that achievement and you keep getting faster when Father Time says you should be getting slower. Imagine how fast you would have been if you started your running hobby in your late 20's.

Thread combining - I certainly have trouble keeping up with everyone's posts because it moves so fast. I don't necessarily think it is because of too many people, just a handful of committed posters who are very active on the thread. I know that when I have a question or want to post an update about my running, I can rely on at least 1 reply within a few hours. I just feel bad because I know I try to follow others' posts and race reports but it is overwhelming. I have nothing against the Walton's thread but I have also seen it go 3-5 days without a new post and half the people posting there are also participating in this thread with copy/paste posts on both.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10