Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Fishyone

RE: HM/M pace. I think these are absolutely close enough to LT and stressful enough on the body that it's a big stimulus to improve. Maybe it's not optimal like running exactly at LT, but I don't think our body says "sorry this is 15 seconds too slow, we're not going to rebuild better".

Exactly what I needed to hear thanks Zebano!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Dave- I agree with the theory... but it is REALLY painful to go out for a long run with miles at M pace and wrap my head around "this is not going to benefit my fitness but it will train my brain." I know the theory but I'll continue to fool myself

Even Jack Daniels came around on MP a bit, but even before he did, he always pointed to 60 minutes at MP being similar to 20 minutes at LT. I think once you start getting into the realm of a HM at MP, you're doing it more for your brain. A marathon is not about two lungs and a heart moving 26.2 miles. We all know how important training our brain is too.

I do think there are limits though of what is most effective. I never really understood the benefits of doing more than 4 to 5 miles straight at LT. I also think doing 2 mile repeats at M or something similar is purely for psychological development, because it the physical benefits will be limited

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Does anyone have any recommendations for workouts and stretches to help the Gluteus Medius muscle? I have been having pain/tightness for almost 2 weeks after working more speedwork into my runs. It doesn't hurt when running and even runs at tempo pace don't make it hurt later. It seems to be triggered when running at fast paces (fast for me) under 7:00. I couldn't resist playing sharks & minnows with the kids at their running practice Friday and it hurt a lot after the quick bursts with zig-zagging.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Dave- I agree with the theory... but it is REALLY painful to go out for a long run with miles at M pace and wrap my head around "this is not going to benefit my fitness but it will train my brain." I know the theory but I'll continue to fool myself

Fishy - I actually kind of look forward to them, because (1) it's a good test and gives me optimism if it goes well, and (2) long steady-paced runs are a little boring!

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Isn't the reason we're better off doing easy aerobic miles rather than grey zone/marathon pace because you get the same-ish benefit from both but MP is more likely to lead to burnout or injury?  I guess there's the extra component of training the body to burn fat but I don't think there is zero fitness benefit to MP training.  Both of my coaches also talk about pre-fatiguing to get my legs used to that speed when tired.

Andy - You may find some more specific glute exercises but as part of my marathon post-mortem I found weak hamstrings and glutes likely were a large contributor to the cramping.  I do Bulgarian squats with a small amount of weight (started with 6kg, now using 8kg), single leg bridges with 5 second holds and hamstring curls using a green band.  I'm also doing calf raises with 8kg (stronger calves mean less work for the hamstrings), hip flexor raises using the green band, double leg pogos with 2kg in each hand, and 3 x 10 metres of straight leg skipping.  I only started 6 weeks ago but I'm pretty sure I already feel some benefit.  My physio has measured my hamstring strength each time I've seen him and I'm already 20% stronger.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Fishy - I actually kind of look forward to them, because (1) it's a good test and gives me optimism if it goes well, and (2) long steady-paced runs are a little boring!

They're my favorite workout for this exact reason. I look forward to 12-14 @ MP more than any other workout in an entire marathon cycle, even though I know somewhere around mile 4 I'm going to think "this is so hard and I'm only 1/3 done!"

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

WC - I think Darkwave hit the nail on the head: the worst posters are the ones who just throw up their weeklies and then only respond to people talking about them, never actually caring about what others are doing or contributing elsewhere. Also I personally tend to give posters more credit who I've seen around the forums elsewhere (like you).

andy - what have you tried so far based upon your research?

Marky_Mark_17

Does anyone have any recommendations for workouts and stretches to help the Gluteus Medius muscle? I have been having pain/tightness for almost 2 weeks after working more speedwork into my runs. It doesn't hurt when running and even runs at tempo pace don't make it hurt later. It seems to be triggered when running at fast paces (fast for me) under 7:00. I couldn't resist playing sharks & minnows with the kids at their running practice Friday and it hurt a lot after the quick bursts with zig-zagging.

I think there's some horribly difficult-looking yoga-type stretches for that one.  I've always just gone for the classic lying glute stretch but I don't know how well that hits the medius.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

zebano

Does anyone have any recommendations for workouts and stretches to help the Gluteus Medius muscle?

have you tried foam rolling it? For strengthening I think the super simple put a band around your ankles or knees and shuffle sideways works well.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

They're my favorite workout for this exact reason. I look forward to 12-14 @ MP more than any other workout in an entire marathon cycle, even though I know somewhere around mile 4 I'm going to think "this is so hard and I'm only 1/3 done!"

I say it gives me optimism when it goes well, but still without exception I finish saying there is NO WAY I could run 26.2 at that pace.

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

So what I have done and normally do is a lot of stretching. I use the massage gun, roll with the hand roller, use the foam roller, and typical hamstring/calf stretches. I do the glute stretch Mark suggested. I would say that any drills/strength training for those areas is just dabbling and not consistent at all.

The tightness I experience when I am pushing my limits with total training load/volume is all connected from the back of my left hip, down the IT band, down the peroneus longus in my calf, and down to the outside of my foot. This time, all the tightness has gone away after a week of easy running but the pain/tightness on my butt/hip has persisted.

I'm just trying to figure out how to be able to do speed work without causing me to have to stop speed work for 2 weeks. Again, tempo/threshold pace is not a problem but true speed work to get into anerobic zones work is.

Memphis / 38 male

Marky_Mark_17

I want to say "do squats" to strengthen the glutes but honestly I have no idea whether that will help your specific issue (I just like squats and they are quite a good exercise in general for runners as they work that whole kinetic chain from the glutes down).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

Thanks to all for the feedback on the training race. I ran what felt like a 1:25 effort, and that's what came out (the 1:27 I mean).

Andy I include lateral leg raises with a light resistance band in my strength training. I mostly do this to prevent IT band syndrome, but it is probably a good idea in general. No need to push yourself super hard like if you were working on quads or something, because it's a pretty small muscle. I also do side skips when warming up for workouts, especially speed work.

I have no idea if this is correct, but my GUESS is, since faster running triggers it, they are too weak and you need more strength in those muscles to support the speed work. Not saying don't stretch them, but it seems like they are freaking out from being overworked.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Here is another question: is true speed work necessary for half marathon training if it will be getting in the way of completing my weekly miles for endurance? I had planned to get my miles up to around 45 this past week but had to take it easy with just half of that. With the half race March 11th, will I be ok with just tempo runs and getting in mileage of 40-55 per week? I wanted to get a lot faster at the shorter distances this year but I can focus on 5k specific work for races later in the spring.

I will certainly make drills and strength work a higher priority going forward and will take suggestions from what you all do normally.

Memphis / 38 male

Here is another question: is true speed work necessary for half marathon training if it will be getting in the way of completing my weekly miles for endurance? I had planned to get my miles up to around 45 this past week but had to take it easy with just half of that. With the half race March 11th, will I be ok with just tempo runs and getting in mileage of 40-55 per week? I wanted to get a lot faster at the shorter distances this year but I can focus on 5k specific work for races later in the spring.

I will certainly make drills and strength work a higher priority going forward and will take suggestions from what you all do normally.

Tempo runs are speed work! If you have one of those every week with 40-55 total, you'll be in pretty good shape. Given more time there's a lot more you can do, but you can't cram for a race.

Dave