Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Here is another question: is true speed work necessary for half marathon training if it will be getting in the way of completing my weekly miles for endurance? I had planned to get my miles up to around 45 this past week but had to take it easy with just half of that. With the half race March 11th, will I be ok with just tempo runs and getting in mileage of 40-55 per week? I wanted to get a lot faster at the shorter distances this year but I can focus on 5k specific work for races later in the spring.

How much difference would it really make in your weekly mileage?  What would you be swapping for the speed work?  Including warm up, intervals, recovery jogs, and cool down, it's not unusual for one of my speed workouts to total 7-8 miles.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

dktrotter

Dorothea

Ha ha, I didn’t mean to give everyone a shout out! That’s just what happened as I was reading through. Same thing happened today. I can’t figure out how to post multiple quotes in the same post (and no one wants to skim through a bunch of individual ones), so that's likely going to be the MO I stick to.

Also, kind of relevant, in German we have an expression immer seinen Senf dazugeben… always sprinkling a bit of mustard. It’s an expression from the 17th century and refers to the cooks who at the time thought everything needed to have at least a sprinkle of mustard, whether it fit the dish or not. Call me out if that ’s what it seems like I’m doing!

But FTR, I don’t see it as a requirement to reply to everyone. I think that would be hard to keep up with ! 

Mark, I don’t know how I missed the news about the flooding in your area, but that’s quite scary and I hope they stop happening, and no more lives are lost. Of course I hope your race can go ahead despite everything, though it’s probably good to be prepared for the worst, too. I liked the title of your last Monday run. I think that very often. 

Flavio, I found rowing at the gym great for building hand strength for a stronger grip, if pull-ups are something you want to get into (and good to know you don’t judge me for all my open tabs :-) I just realized they multiplied over the weekend). You have a 10k coming up before the 5k in March, right? Looks like your training is on point with the 2 workouts and the mid-long run. Great paces for the 4 x 7s. 

As for getting sick, I don’t think it’s allergies, though it could be exertion. I’ll see if it happens again. It is annoying though when it impacts your training because you’re being conservative to prevent getting more sick. Fingers crossed that it doesn’t happen anytime soon again for you! 

And ha ha re: needing the MP runs to help control pace on race day. That’s a big issue for me too. 

Re: health benefits of long distance running:  Won’t reply to all the points here, but basically I agree. I think JMac said it well when he said that one also can’t underestimate the benefits for the mind. It takes a particular amount of guts to go long distances, but it’s also a kind of catch-22 because the guts are further built by those long distances… I don’t know what I’m saying. But I think the point is (like darkwave’s doctor story says) as long as it doesn’t hurt, why stop doing what you’re already doing? That being said, I have yet to reach an 100 mile week. Maybe because I do think it's too unhealthy ;-) jk, I just haven't figured out how to reach that level yet.  

mmerkle, great trail race! Those turns also royally screw up the GPS, so it’s great that you were able to focus and still get a negative split. And I don’t know if there’s an official translation from road to trail race, but the trail race is always slower. Looks like you also didn’t taper for the race? So I really think it's a great time. How did you place? As for alcohol… that’s something I’ve been wondering about. I tried a few races where I cut it out completely the weeks before the race, but when I accidentally found out that it didn’t really seem to make a difference, I stopped doing that. Obviously I wouldn’t go drinking the night before (which I rarely do anyway), but it also didn’t seem necessary to completely avoid it. Thoughts?

Fishy, that weather sounds ridiculous and awful. If it’s going to be bad weather, at least be predictable XD And if you’re asking for no snow, that’s what I wish for you (though running in snow is like in sand in many ways, you could test it ;-) If the sand is packed enough or the trail not too soft, it can be a nice way to break up a long run, because it forces you to go a bit slower and make different muscles work for a little while. It can be annoying if you’re trying to go fast, though. Not recommended for workouts. 

Question about no-watch-looking. I missed it, but what made you start? Will you be doing that for a while or is it just right now to tune into your paces?

darkwave, I am impressed about your running in your second week back from the marathon. I think I would have cried if someone told me to do multiple 10-milers. The feedback about the new meds is awesome. That sounds promising and I like your plan of shorter races for a while (though as you say, not that you need my approval).  It’s a lot of fun anyway to go back to speed, and now it’s a good way to work on gait. 

Wcrunner2, you do you! I was relatively late to joining Strava— was fine with RA for the longest time, and if Strava disappeared tomorrow I probably wouldn’t miss it. Also good point re: HMP or MP workouts. What constitutes the pace? I figure it goes more by effort then, right? Not pace per se. But then I guess that would be more steady state, as you say...

Re sushi: alright, so not as controversial as I thought. zebano, stinks that that race went so poorly, but at least it wasn’t GI issues! 

Andy, have you tried sitting on a tennis ball? That’s an old trick that helps something (don’t know the science), but it’s worth a try. Does something different than the massage gun or foam roller. 

Also I don’t think it’s proper half marathon training if there’s no speed work. Not sure what you mean by “true” speed work, but tempo runs count, and you should do those tempo runs to build endurance in ways that the long, slow runs will not do. You shouldn’t be doing 5k speed work for a half, but there are a lot of great HM speed workouts that can be quite helpful, and actually I’d say those are worth more than high mileage runs. Quantity is inherent for long-distance races, but if you have to sacrifice something, obviously quality > quantity.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Wcrunner - As far as I've seen MP is defined by whatever arbitrary target one has specified for their race, no matter how accurate or silly that target is.

Fishy - You must be one of those people who sleep well if you're still sleepy half way through your workout. I envy you!

Zebano - Still beastly I see. The cleans seem pretty hard, I'm not sure I trust myself doing something as dynamic as that.
        Are you planning to race the mile soon ?
        Also, grip strength is one of the first limiters in the pull-ups. The wrists give up way before the large muscles in your back. I'm probably capable of 3x6 right now, I'm not good at pull ups either.

Andy - the single leg dead lifts might have impacted you as well. Any exercise that requires balancing on a single leg will work the gluteus medius. Even like just lifting one leg of the ground and balancing on the other for like a minute.
        But since you have soreness, at the moment you're probably best served with foam rolling the area using a massage/spiky ball. It's more useful then a foam roller to spot some of the tenser spots and work through them.
        The Lying Twist stretch is also good for it, one thing I do is I lock the extended leg being stretched against something (like the leg of a sofa) and then control which area to stretch depending on on high/low that leg is as compared to the ground.
        Lying twist

Steve - Kudos for keeping up with the strength training! I do think though the hamstrings should carry the brunt of cushioning since they are much larger than the calves.

DK - I'm surprised that German expression is so short, it's not even 40 characters!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK - I'm surprised that German expression is so short, it's not even 40 characters!

ha!

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I knew I would get several corrections about not including tempo runs when I specify speed work.  I am considering tempo pace as 10k race pace for 3-4 miles with warm up and cool down miles on each side. I did these once a week leading up to the marathon last year but nothing like intervals, hill repeats, or anything faster than 5k pace getting into true anaerobic zone. I guess I am segregating the two because the tempo runs didn't cause the tightness/pain I am experiencing now after introducing the fast paces for a few weeks to start the year. I have less than 4 weeks of training time before I taper so I am just thinking the fast speed work is more risk than reward when I should be fine sticking to tempos.

WC - When I said the speed work was limiting my miles, that is because I have been in pain the last two weeks and have had to rest my overall running load. DK - Good suggestion on the tennis ball, I will try it. Flavio - I didn't even think about single leg dead lift yet  I don't know why only my left side hurts but it would be lack of strength training more than doing it if anything. I will try that stretch to the side from the picture.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Fishyone

It's actually not that bad.  I find it a little better than the monotony of summer.  Today was snowing but warm (34), by friday we'll be a frigid -8 and by Sunday back into the mid 40s. I've dialed in the correct amount of clothes for most conditions so it's now just a matter of a quick weather check then out the door.

We had a discussion about running by feel and Darkwave commented that she runs this way almost all the time (even in races).  It seemed so foreign to me that I had to try it out.  I also had a couple of watch malfunctions during races and I should not have allowed it to affect my performance.... but it did and I wanted to remove that dependence.  I tried it in the 5K and was very pleased with the result but not in any longer races yet. I think during training I'll stick with not looking but we'll have to wait and see during my next goal race (New Bedford half, late March)

Fishy, that weather sounds ridiculous and awful. If it’s going to be bad weather, at least be predictable XD And if you’re asking for no snow, that’s what I wish for you (though running in snow is like in sand in many ways, you could test it ;-) If the sand is packed enough or the trail not too soft, it can be a nice way to break up a long run, because it forces you to go a bit slower and make different muscles work for a little while. It can be annoying if you’re trying to go fast, though. Not recommended for workouts. 

Question about no-watch-looking. I missed it, but what made you start? Will you be doing that for a while or is it just right now to tune into your paces?

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

LOL- yes I love my sleep!!  During training I try for M-F at least 7 hours with 9-10 on weekends My new garmin does the sleep thing which has been really interesting to look at.  I'm not sure how accurate the light sleep, REM and deep sleep data is but the awake is spot on! I can even tell the mornings I wake up remembering vivid dreams I usually had my REM cycles long and close to wake up time.

Fishy - You must be one of those people who sleep well if you're still sleepy half way through your workout. I envy you!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I'm not sure how accurate the light sleep, REM and deep sleep data is but the awake is spot on!  

My son is wearing my old Garmin watch all the time now and I can open up the app in the morning to check out his sleep. I say to him "according to your watch, you were up at 3:30 this morning watching TV" and he gives me a look like "crap, I'm busted".

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

zebano

Andy - have you seen a PT about the issue? I would strongly suggest that. Mainly because I have a issue with my right hamstring that sounds similar (it radiates down into the calf and up into the glute and lower back) and stretching makes it worse while neural gliding and strengthening make it better. OF course this is just my experience and working with a professional is probably worthwhile if you can afford it.

I gotta 10k reps when you said "true speed" was not what I was expecting. Much like "tempo run", speedwork is just a nebulous term that gets used a lot of different ways from sprinting to anything faster than easy pace.

Health - I enjoy the satisfaction of daily training too much to worry about potential long-term downsides of running a ton (which I don't do).

Flavio - Cleans are oddly satisfying but I'm not sure they're any more useful than unweighted plyometrics like the broad jumps you used to do. I do plan on racing a mile in April but other than that it will probably be a few time trials. I think I'll also race an 800 and a 3000m while I'm at it. It's very interesting that your back doesn't fatigue during pull ups as mine absolutely does. Maybe you're just really good at activating those particular muscles? or maybe you're just a stud.

dktrotter - now that we've normalized sushi, have you considered sardines as a gu-replacement? Maybe the omega-3s can undo the heart damage of long distance running.

Fishy, great job trying out the running by feel. That is a hard leap to take with all the data we have these days. That said a weather check is great but getting dressed for -8 takes at least 15 minutes.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

mmerkle

dktrotter - now that we've normalized sushi, have you considered sardines as a gu-replacement? Maybe the omega-3s can undo the heart damage of long distance running.

Lol gross! Made me laugh though.

dk I placed 2nd. Didn't taper since it wasn't an A race, but treated as a hard tempo run. And I've been tempted to bring up this topic. I'm a fairly regular beer drinker, but before important races I like to cut out alcohol leading up to it. I have no idea if it makes a difference. Clearly getting hammered before a race will make a difference, but a drink or two I just can't tell. And here's a twist. I have had many long runs on Saturdays and Sundays after having 3 or 4 beers the night before, and I felt GREAT on those long runs. I'm tempted to think it tops off the glycogen stores.

Sushi before a race This is a new one to me, but maybe I should try it. It seems similar to my choice of fish and rice.

Andy In my opinion, if a half marathon is your goal race and you have to pick between higher mileage and less speed or low mileage with more speed, pick the mileage. As Dave pointed out, tempo work IS speed work. You can get a lot done with tempo runs.

I'll play devils advocate and point out that the last 20 mile LR I did was by feel and everyone seemed to think it was too fast, probably myself included. I do like trying to go by feel during races and tempo runs though. But checking the watch might be needed for easy and long runs.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

DKT - Awesome week, and I'm glad the 15k + 20mi went well for you.
                        Yes, DD2 is 8. She's far more willing to push to new distances than I am for her - I've had to guide a slower build up in distance than she has suggested, and she's also doing quite well in that sometimes we've been planning on 2.5 and she changes her mind mid-way and says she doesn't feel up to it so we cut it short.
                        I'd also be willing to do sushi or a poke bowl before a race.

Mark - That's an insane amount of rain! Rain is one of those things that isn't complained about in my area (largely farm/ranch land).

Steve - Great work.

Andy - I agree w/ Dave in that tempo runs count as speed work and are great for HM training. Or maybe that's just me saying that because my coach has me running at least some time/distance at HMe for a tempo run each week.

Fishy - I'm with you in that I'm not sure at all about the sleep stages from my Garmin, but the sleep/wake times are spot on 95% of the time.
                        Good work on the running my effort rather than pace. Also, DWave's ability to run by effort is the stuff of legend.

Long distance/high volume and cardiac issues - Something I've never seen a control for in any of these studies is the diet of runners. A runner eating foods that can lead to cardiac (or other) issues could be in trouble compared to a sedentary person of similar weight eating the same foods simply because of the quantity of food being eaten to fuel their training.

70 miles flat for me last week, no LR. Life and lack of sleep last week got in the way pure and simple. I might also be fighting off a bit of a bug. Nothing major at all, more of an annoyance in that my nose is a bit congested and my HR/HRV is off a bit. It coincided with our temps taking a dive, so perhaps it's some sort of environmental or allergen thing instead.

ETA: I also signed up for my spring target 50 miler. I'm also still talking to my coach and looking at options for a good HM that fits in with training and an oddly travel-heavy spring.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Pain is my friend

Dk- your right this forum moves almost as fast as many of us run.

CommanderKeen- What 50 miler are you looking to do. I need to get back to some of the shorter ultras.

AndyTN- I call tempo work speed work. I would do 8-10 mile tempos about HMP on a flat road to get ready for a half. Then when the race had 500 ft plus drop I could easily go faster.

Repre race food. I don't like sushi. I eat what I want before a race.

I am finaly getting back to some solid running. My last race beat me physically and mentally. I have changed my 48 hour race to a 12 hour race pace training run. I am going to give it one more go at a qualifying 24 hour race in June. A 48 hour race where I want to run 200 miles at is not a great idea in the middle of a 24 hour training. I would compare it to training for a marathon and putting a 50- 100 miler in the middle.

The fun workout was my trail run. I know I did way too much too soon. Hammered the quads. Climbed 2600 ft in 2.9 miles. Lots of snow on the trail.

Weekly for period: From: 01/23/2023 To 01/29/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                          Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                          in ft
                          01/23 No progressive here 7.44 11.98 00:59:07 07:57 04:56 72
                          01/24 Skipping around the airport with the 5 am crew 10.02 16.13 01:25:29 08:32 05:18 420
                          01/25 Krashing down the mountain 11.62 18.69 03:00:32 15:32 09:40 4091
                          01/26 There is a street that has a name on a hill over there 7.32 11.78 00:59:42 08:09 05:04 541
                          01/26 Dumpster diving 2.27 3.66 00:17:40 07:47 04:50 20
                          01/27 Oh my quads 8.45 13.60 01:13:06 08:39 05:23 295
                          01/28 K-Town throw Down 16.04 25.82 02:20:01 08:44 05:25 932

Total distance: 63.18mi

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

CommanderKeen- What 50 miler are you looking to do. I need to get back to some of the shorter ultras.

I am finaly getting back to some solid running. My last race beat me physically and mentally. I have changed my 48 hour race to a 12 hour race pace training run. I am going to give it one more go at a qualifying 24 hour race in June. A 48 hour race where I want to run 200 miles at is not a great idea in the middle of a 24 hour training. I would compare it to training for a marathon and putting a 50- 100 miler in the middle.

To my knowledge this feat has never been done before. If you do decide to make a go at this it could be worth driving out to help crew if you needed it just to be a part of it!

I'm doing the Heartland 50 , which nicely fits with DD1s soccer tournament that same weekend in Wichita, about an hour from the race. Run an ultra, go watch soccer. Good weekend.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Pain is my friend

There a few guys I know of that have run over 200 miles in 48 hours. It is on a flat loop or track. Not trail. Olivier LeBold ran 260 miles in 48 hours back in 2015.

I have heard of heartland 50.

To my knowledge this feat has never been done before. If you do decide to make a go at this it could be worth driving out to help crew if you needed it just to be a part of it!

I'm doing the Heartland 50 , which nicely fits with DD1s soccer tournament that same weekend in Wichita, about an hour from the race. Run an ultra, go watch soccer. Good weekend.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

There a few guys I know of that have run over 200 miles in 48 hours. It is on a flat loop or track. Not trail. Olivier LeBold ran 260 miles in 48 hours back in 2015.

I have heard of heartland 50.

Perhaps I was thinking of trail/open road. In any case, the more you know!

The offer still stands.

Upcoming Races:

Bun Run 5k - May 4