Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

zebano

JMac - given your speed I bet you can go sub 5 relatively easily. I'm mostly going to echo what other people say.

1. don't go out to fast. Even splits are good. I think my best race was 79, 81, 82, 78

2. Really focus on being strong the second and especially third lap. If you have other people the third lap is the ideal time to flip into race mode and actively start passing people

3. If you get through 1200, you can see the end and it generally takes care of itself.

4. I've been told what you can gut out in a 1200 solo is the pace you can race a full mile with competition.

5. Tracks are the ideal place to race.

6. I personally like my supershoes (Endorphin Pro) more than I like my old school spikes. I'm sure super-spikes would be the best, but I don't have the extra cash.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

6. I personally like my supershoes (Endorphin Pro) more than I like my old school spikes. I'm sure super-spikes would be the best, but I don't have the extra cash.

How can you run that fast on top of blobs of cushion though. I'd race it with the lowest, thinnest sole shoe I'd have. Especially on a track where the rubber takes care of cushioning and propulsion.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

I just watched return of the king literally last week for the first time since it came out, so this was an easy one for me 

Of all the LOTR/Hobbit movies, I have seen a grand total of zero.

Dave

dktrotter

Dorothea

Just had to jump in and say, for a runner you're missing out! The trek across Middle Earth by Legolas, Aragorn, and Gimli is classic runner fare. Also there's a fun reddit post about the Sean Bean Memorial Ultra: https://www.reddit.com/r/tolkienfans/comments/4hp2rr/the_two_towers_ultra/

Definitely hope you've at least read the books, Dave :-)

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Wait, I lied! I now remember I did see the first LOTR movie, but it did nothing for me, and generated no interest in seeing the others. I haven't read any of the books either. I guess the fantasy world just not my thing. Although I did get into Harry Potter, both movies and books. At first for my kids, because those movies were coming out as they were growing up. But I enjoyed them all plenty myself.

Dave

There are several variations structured to address that issue.  If you have a decent sense of pace, stepdown intervals will really help. In that case start at a slower than race pace interval, then drop two seconds for every interval, e.g. 82, 80, 78, 76, 74, 72, 70, 68.

An unintentional slow progression is not too unusual for me, since I am kind of a slow starter.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

I have watched the first and part of the second. I couldn't finish cause there was a fire on the movie theater.

I never got to watch any of them after that, just wasn't interested.

Never watched Harry Potter either.

Nor Star Wars.

Also probably none of the marvell crap, except maybe the Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix (is that part of the Marvell crap? Dunno)

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Wait, I lied! I now remember I did see the first LOTR movie, but it did nothing for me, and generated no interest in seeing the others. I haven't read any of the books either. I guess the fantasy world just not my thing. Although I did get into Harry Potter, both movies and books. At first for my kids, because those movies were coming out as they were growing up. But I enjoyed them all plenty myself.

My Hungarian friend came to NZ in 2001 and insisted we see the first one because he had to see it in NZ.  I fell asleep after about 45 mins.  Partly because of hangover but mostly, just not into it

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024 1:27:34

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

mmerkle

I recall being told the following mile racing strategy in HS:

First lap fast, second lap settle, third lap increase effort, which usually means this lap will be about the same as the second, then last lap whatever is left, ideally faster than the middle two. So first and last laps are the fastest, like what zebano did. Has anyone else heard this?

Marky_Mark_17

Also probably none of the marvell crap, except maybe the Joker movie with Joaquin Phoenix (is that part of the Marvell crap? Dunno)

In no world should the largely inferior DC movies be confused with the mostly very good Marvel movies.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

How can you run that fast on top of blobs of cushion though. I'd race it with the lowest, thinnest sole shoe I'd have. Especially on a track where the rubber takes care of cushioning and propulsion.

No, supershoes will make it quicker.  Maybe not as quick as superspikes, but faster than flats.  The extra bounce makes a lot of difference regardless.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

In no world should the largely inferior DC movies be confused with the mostly very good Marvel movies.

+1,000,000.
                          Though Joker was a bit of an outlier.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

+1,000,000.
                            Though Joker was a bit of an outlier.

Yeah, Christopher Nolan's Batman films were pretty good too.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark - I was not aware there was another producer called DC pushing out crappy movies 😂 Jokes aside I liked the Joker movie. My sister told me I should really watch it, it's not like the 20 spiderman movies out there and it was worth it.

I'm a film snob though, I liked "the blair witch project" and "the cube" way more than Titanic.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky cause I can predict what's gonna happen and that bothers me. Maybe I'm old cranky and a snob 😎

Re: shoes
                              Disclaimer: I have not run in super shoes yet.
                              I don't know if they're vastly different from the Altra Paradigm, but I just find it impossible to run fast on those.
                              They're not stable, I have no feedback from the ground cause they're like over 30mm thick, there's no response.
                              I think the fastest I can go is around 10k pace.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Firestone double today.  Dropped my car off this morning to get a nail removed and tire patched.  Will hopefully run back to get the car after work. It's going to only get colder ad the day goes on, so this mornings run at 32 degrees and windy is the best It's going to be.

KatS, hopefully someone just fat finger edges an amount.  Definitely not something you want to deal with right before a trip.