Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

zebano

Mark - I was not aware there was another producer called DC pushing out crappy movies 😂 Jokes aside I liked the Joker movie. My sister told me I should really watch it, it's not like the 20 spiderman movies out there and it was worth it.

I'm a film snob though, I liked "the blair witch project" and "the cube" way more than Titanic.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and cranky cause I can predict what's gonna happen and that bothers me. Maybe I'm old cranky and a snob 😎

Re: shoes
    Disclaimer: I have not run in super shoes yet.
    I don't know if they're vastly different from the Altra Paradigm, but I just find it impossible to run fast on those.
    They're not stable, I have no feedback from the ground cause they're like over 30mm thick, there's no response.
    I think the fastest I can go is around 10k pace.

Wow, you have free time waiting for you. It makes your recent workouts even more impressive. Supershoes are nothing like Altra Paradigms.

I had a similar problem with some movies recently where you can basically see the script ahead of time and it just took some of the top end fun out of them but I still enjoy most anyways. That said, I did enjoy the new Glass Onion. I then watched Red Notice and it just wasn't very good. I haven't watched a Marvel movie since Infinity War and I don't feel like I'm missing anything as the genre has just gotten stale.

1600 - 5:23 (2018), 5k - 19:33 (2018), 10k - 41:20 (2021), half - 1:38:57 (2018), Marathon - 3:37:17 (2018)

I haven't watched a Marvel movie since Infinity War and I don't feel like I'm missing anything as the genre has just gotten stale.

IDK how you can watch Infinity War and not see Endgame! In addition to being a necessary follow-up, it was one of the best. But yes, I am a hardcore Marvel fan and admit that the quality of the post-Endgame movies has been somewhat uneven. One standout was Spider-Man: No Way Home—that was top-tier. Regardless, I’ve still enjoyed them all, and continue to see every one of them on release weekend. Ant-Man: Quantumania in two weeks!

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Zebano - I don't seem to have much of a choice. Altra was my hope, but they've chosen to make their super shoe narrow ðŸĪŠ Other brands simply don't fit my duck feet. I like to think that I'll get more longevity in running by not wearing super shoes (LOL, that's what I tell myself).

Anyway, today I have ensured that I'll have a glorious result on the 10k this Sunday in Coimbra, evidence is below 👇

Açaí rocks!

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks everyone for all the tips! This thread is usually so focused on the marathon, it's nice to hear thoughts about shorter distances.

Mile Shoe Choice - it's interesting how widely people's choices vary. I'm in the camp of no super shoes and very thin/firm, which my Takumi Sens from 2019 fit. I've tried running mile pace in Vaporflies and it just feels kind of goofy, but more importantly, I really hate how they feel when turning, so that rules them out for a track. The dragonflies look great but given I never run on a track, doesn't feel like it's worth it to go pick up.

2nd vs 3rd lap - perhaps it's because I've heard so often that the third lap is the hardest that I botched my 2nd lap the last time I ran it by relaxing too much.

WC - it's funny you mentioned that workout I just did 4x400m at 1:14 with 400m rest this week.

DW - can you send me this road mile you speak of in Brooklyn? I've never heard of anything outside of the 5th Ave Mile, which is in marathon season. I'd be looking to do something before June.

Flavio - I see no universe where I run 4:40 unless I specifically tailored my training to the mile and dropped everything else. I just don't have that kind of speed anymore, as endurance is my strong point (I still am succeeding in MP runs right now even though I'm focusing so much on 5K work)

Dave - it's a bit strange to me you watch so much of these comic movies, and yet don't like LOTR. LOTR is considered great movies (at least the first 2). You may want to give it a try again if you haven't watched since they came out.

Acai - I am not going to be near an Oakberry for about a month and your picture is making me angry. I have been craving one SO badly each morning and I can't get it. I may travel 30 minutes each way just to have one. Also Flavio nice choices. My go to is strawberry, blueberry, granola, peanut butter. So damn good.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - can you send me this road mile you speak of in Brooklyn? I've never heard of anything outside of the 5th Ave Mile, which is in marathon season. I'd be looking to do something before June.

The Brooklyn Mile is in August.  Most mile races are going to be in the summer, unless you want to race the mile on an indoor track...

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

bhearn

To my knowledge this feat has never been done before.

200 miles in 48 hours is a solid mark but by no means exceptional. The WR is Yiannis Kouros' 294.2 miles.

Yes it's typically run on a flat road loop. But not always. Last year alone there were 8 who reached 200 miles / 48 hours at Big's Backyard, which is not only trail, but is formatted so there is never an opportunity for more than 10-15 minutes of sleep at once. Honestly, that's still really hard for me to wrap my head around. You will generally see at most one or two over 200 at an actual 48-hour race.

It's my opinion that 48-hour is the most brutal ultra format there is. After the aforementioned 240 miles, I swore off them.

bhearn

And believe it or not, Aleksandr Sorokin ran very close to 200 miles (198.6) in 24 hours last year. Which is really beyond unbelievable. My money would be he will break 200 next time.

He had already previously broken Kouros' famously untouchable 24-hour WR of 188.6, a mark Kouros proclaimed would stand for centuries when he ran it in 1997. Most believed him. Nobody else had come within 10 miles of it until Sorokin.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

I love how this thread's discussion is oscillating between the mile and 200 miles.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

You big Dosser

I ran 100m in 9.67 seconds yesterday and my Dad thinks I’m a legend. âĪïļ

He also thinks that this Steve fella needs to be more ambitious…

Reach for the moon and even if you miss, you’ll land among the stars.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I unintentionally set a new 10k PR yesterday by roughly 20 seconds. I was feeling good and wanted to run at 10k pace for a tempo run. I got lost in the rhythm and was at 4.5 miles before I noticed so I thought I would just keep going cause it felt good. I was thinking my PR pace was 7:12 so I ended up just planning to keep the pace slightly slower at 7:14. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that PR pace was actually 7:18 and my watch beeped "new PR".

Even if my GPS was slightly off, I did 6.25 miles 4 seconds faster than total time than the previous PR time and I will just take this as an encouraging experience. What was even more encouraging was that I know I could have pushed myself 10-12 seconds per mile faster in a real race. I will probably regret doing it given my hip/butt pain recently but going fast like that was like a super high that I just could break out of.

Thanks for the help from this group so far.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I love how this thread's discussion is oscillating between the mile and 200 miles.

Be patient. I'm planning to run a bunch of 12-hour races and a 50K or two.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Be patient. I'm planning to run a bunch of 12-hour races and a 50K or two.

I thought maybe you were going to expand the range and talk about the 800s you used to race, then Bob could chime in with his 6-day races.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I thought maybe you were going to expand the range and talk about the 800s you used to race, then Bob could chime in with his 6-day races.

I couldn't run 800m now at my marathon PB pace.  That's one of the reasons why I moved to longer distances and fixed time races.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I unintentionally set a new 10k PR yesterday by roughly 20 seconds. I was feeling good and wanted to run at 10k pace for a tempo run. I got lost in the rhythm and was at 4.5 miles before I noticed so I thought I would just keep going cause it felt good. I was thinking my PR pace was 7:12 so I ended up just planning to keep the pace slightly slower at 7:14. Well, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that PR pace was actually 7:18 and my watch beeped "new PR".

Even if my GPS was slightly off, I did 6.25 miles 4 seconds faster than total time than the previous PR time and I will just take this as an encouraging experience. What was even more encouraging was that I know I could have pushed myself 10-12 seconds per mile faster in a real race. I will probably regret doing it given my hip/butt pain recently but going fast like that was like a super high that I just could break out of.

Thanks for the help from this group so far.

A 10k PR during a training run is very encouraging as it means that you’ll smash it in a proper 10k race. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’ll never run an old man ultra race. NEVER.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)