Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

I've seen VF's on sale on the Nike website every few months in the last little while.  This NEVER used to happen.  It seems to be mostly clearing out the old colourways to make way for new ones but if I'm saving $100 I really don't care too much what colour they are.

I am routinely checking; I don't care about colors either, but by the time they are discounted they are typically sold out of many sizes. Have not been able to find my size with a discount.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

I am routinely checking; I don't care about colors either, but by the time they are discounted they are typically sold out of many sizes. Have not been able to find my size with a discount.

Yeah it seems like the popular sizes are gone quite fast.  I am lucky to be a giant with size 12.5 in Nike.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Yeah it seems like the popular sizes are gone quite fast.  I am lucky to be a giant with size 12.5 in Nike.

That is my size too!! Not only have they been sold out on the sale models, some shoes seem to skip over it and go from 12 to 13.

Dave

Marky_Mark_17

That is my size too!! Not only have they been sold out on the sale models, some shoes seem to skip over it and go from 12 to 13.

Possible that down here in NZ we are getting our stock out of Asia, where people generally have smaller feet!

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

And I’m not a giant; I’m 11-11.5 on normal shoes, I size way up on running shoes.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

That has not been the case for me recently as long as you are okay with many colors. I’m a 10.5 and have not paid full price for a Vaporfly or ZoomFly over the past 3 pairs.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

That has not been the case for me recently as long as you are okay with many colors. I’m a 10.5 and have not paid full price for a Vaporfly or ZoomFly over the past 3 pairs.

Well I am hopeful. I’ve actually only been looking for a couple months; my current pair (the first I ever bought) has 150 miles, so it’s not a dire emergency but I’ve been keeping my eye out.

Dave

Pain is my friend

I have never run in a super shoe. I ran part of my last race in the Hoka Carbon X. From what I read they are a step down from the VF. I recommend no running more than 50 miles in the Carbon X. I feet hurt and switched to Bondis at mile 72. I know Jim Wamsley ran a really fast 100k in them. But he is superhuman.

Winter has been crazy here in Utah. More snow than normal. More snow means icy roads and trails. It has been sub 20 for weeks.

I've seen VF's on sale on the Nike website every few months in the last little while.  This NEVER used to happen.  It seems to be mostly clearing out the old colourways to make way for new ones but if I'm saving $100 I really don't care too much what colour they are.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mmerkle - You seem to have rebounded well and has been very consistent around 60 miles. Are those pains in your foot resolved?

DW - thanks, you had a very promising workout on Tuesday, also kudos for managing those hill repeats within your long run.

Keen - You're back to half marathon distance easy runs, this year is promising.

Looking at the watch: I tend to look more in the beginning, say maybe 3 or 4 times during the first 3km until I found my groove, then I'll forget about it until it clicks a km.

Mark - Indeed, on the second lap I felt like I managed the effort well not going as aggressive up and using the down hill better as well.

Jmac - Jesus was there, but more so on the climb in kms 6-8, cause it was downhill then flat from there to the finish.
                    I'm so happy I had tons of competition though as I focused on them and that helped to mentally stick to the pace.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - I can't remember what year it was (2020? 21?) where you struggled a lot and there was fear maybe your PR days were behind, but now you're running really well. 

That's a very good memory. From April 2016 to May 2019 I had zero PRs and couldn't run even close to them. A very nasty injury in 2016 after a 50K race (I REALLY don't do well after these long races) and then difficulties being consistent due to recurring injuries kept holding me back. It was only after I started taking strength training more seriously that I've managed to become strong enough so that I was not wasting 20+ weeks per year injured. Another thing that helped was that I hired a running coach. We've debated this so much, but it's just hard to explain just how much better you train when you have a good coach.

The 10K PR is still my softest PR though and why I've targeted it recently. My Half PR is beyond reach at the moment but the 5k PR is possible, provided I have yet another break through in fitness. We can never take these things for granted though.

I find it very interesting that many of you have the entire year mapped out already, I honestly have no clue what to do after the 5k. I'll probably go into base building again and try to reach 60 miles per week so that I can start thinking about half marathons.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Flavio - regarding the entire year planned, I think it's easier to think of what your seasons will generally focus on. That's a marathon for a lot of folks, but it could be shorter distances. You already know I'm doing that now, but I woild argue you should keep running 5 and 10ks. They're easy to recover from, and you need multiple cracks at them, especially the 5K. Why not run a 5K at least once every 3 weeks, assuming you have that option near you? It's my favorite thing about training for this distance: you get to race so much more because you don't need to taper and recover nearly as much

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Flavio - regarding the entire year planned, I think it's easier to think of what your seasons will generally focus on. That's a marathon for a lot of folks, but it could be shorter distances. You already know I'm doing that now, but I woild argue you should keep running 5 and 10ks. They're easy to recover from, and you need multiple cracks at them, especially the 5K. Why not run a 5K at least once every 3 weeks, assuming you have that option near you? It's my favorite thing about training for this distance: you get to race so much more because you don't need to taper and recover nearly as much

Yeah, it'd have to be a 10k as there are no 5Ks in Portugal. I've gone as far as to call the Portuguese Athletics Federation to try to figure it out and apparently the Portuguese runners don't care for 5ks and that's why I'm going to Barcelona for a 5k LOL.

There's also that soon it will be too warm to try to PR at any distance, there's no point trying to PR between mid March and late October around here, the weather is just too warm and the races start too late (earliest I've seen was a 9am start).

I have to watch the calendar in nearby Galicia in Spain though, there might be a 5k there.

My overall plan for the year is to somehow figure out how to get to 60 miles a week and beyond again (Without breaking down) so that I can unlock more fitness as I know I get better when I'm at that level as opposed to the current level of 40 to 45 miles per week.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I find it very interesting that many of you have the entire year mapped out already, I honestly have no clue what to do after the 5k. I'll probably go into base building again and try to reach 60 miles per week so that I can start thinking about half marathons.

A little retrospective: For many years three factors influenced my planning and schedule for the year.  The primary factor was my goal(s). The second was including variety in my racing.  The third was the availability of races in my area.  As a result my annual schedule almost always started with indoor track races followed by spring road races, summer track and 5Ks, and ending with fall road races. With a number of iconic races in the Philadelphia my goals often focused on the spring Broad Street Run (10M) and the fall Philadelphia Distance Run (HM later taken over by RnR).  Other races were included as part of the training schedule for those two.

Ultra racing requires a very different perspective and planning.  At my speed and training level my best and favorite options are 50K and 12-hours.  That also means not racing nearly as frequently as I used to, 6-8 races per year vs 25-35 mostly track and 5K races. Again certain races are built into the schedule as part of the training and build up to, usually, one major spring race and one major fall race. Which races are often determined by non-running factors such as location suitability for a vacation. Being retired has put a different slant on race choice.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Steve- Wish I had a solid, performance development based answer for you but I don't I just have always done shorter recoveries after mile intervals.  For the most part I think I run my recoveries too fast for shorter intervals and too slow on the longer, endurance MP type runs.  I have tried to do the opposite this cycle a bit.  My "recovery/easy" pace after MP stretches are faster and the shorter "recovery jog" pace has been slower.  Not sure if it's sound training or I'm just throwing stuff on the wall and seeing what sticks.

Fishy - Why only one minute recoveries?  I used to stick to that too but my new coach is a big believer in getting the heart rate right back down between efforts - he even encourages me to stop the watch and rest for 2 minutes before starting a cool down.  I'm slowly getting my mind round it although the fact that he does it as a 2:20 marathoner should be enough.  I've really noticed my HR not dropping during the cool down after a speed workout lately.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

On planning- my OCD requires I run almost every day AND obsessively plan future races. I have already mapped out the spring with a 1/2 (March), full (April), full (May). Hopefully I'll throw some shorter stuff into the mix. Summer is base.  Fall will be at least 2 fulls and a half.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)