Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

That is my size too!! Not only have they been sold out on the sale models, some shoes seem to skip over it and go from 12 to 13.

Me, too! Having an odd-sized foot has been quite handy in getting cheap (and ugly) shoes well after most sale stock is gone.

Looking at the watch: I don't look at all for easy runs (I don't have pace info there anyway), just a few occasional glances during races and workouts. Even then I'm most likely looking at lap and average power. If it's "close enough" I call it good and proceed by feel.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Yeah, it'd have to be a 10k as there are no 5Ks in Portugal. I've gone as far as to call the Portuguese Athletics Federation to try to figure it out and apparently the Portuguese runners don't care for 5ks and that's why I'm going to Barcelona for a 5k LOL.

There's also that soon it will be too warm to try to PR at any distance, there's no point trying to PR between mid March and late October around here, the weather is just too warm and the races start too late (earliest I've seen was a 9am start).

I have to watch the calendar in nearby Galicia in Spain though, there might be a 5k there.

My overall plan for the year is to somehow figure out how to get to 60 miles a week and beyond again (Without breaking down) so that I can unlock more fitness as I know I get better when I'm at that level as opposed to the current level of 40 to 45 miles per week.

I'm surprised March is too late, that's like Florida weather. I coukd see that for longer races, but in a 5K, you can PR at much warmer temperatures.

Anyway it's so hilarious that you only have 10ks as it is the opposite here in the US. You can run 3 different 5ks every weekend here if you want, but good 10ks are few and far between.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Anyway it's so hilarious that you only have 10ks as it is the opposite here in the US. You can run 3 different 5ks every weekend here if you want, but good 10ks are few and far between.

If memory serves me well, the changeover from 10K to 5K began, at least in the Mid-Atlantic, in the mid-80s.  I checked my race log and after 1985 I'd only run 1-2 10Ks a year, rather than the half dozen or so in previous years. I just checked RunningintheUSA and found only 7  in my county for the entire year vs 74 5Ks.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Dave

Discounted Vaporflys: Good to know anyway, if I do see them in my size, I should snap them up quickly before Marky and CK see it. 

10k’s: I always hear they are hard to find, but it seems like there are plenty around here. Certainly fewer than any of the big 4 distances, but we’ve got them.  There are 12 per year just from a monthly race series based on a 5k loop around a park, which always offers race options based on 1, 2, or 3 loops. It’s pretty nice to have incidentally; not quite as low key as a parkrun, but only a small notch higher. You do have to pay, but it’s the cheapest racing around here. No shirts, no medals. Small turnout, but usually some fast/competitive folks. 

Race planning: I always need to nail down the next season’s marathon. Then try to pick a tuneup half. I usually have a list of other potential races going, but often don’t lock them in till the last minute. Right now I have 6 races planned through June, although 3 are pacing so you might not even really count those.

Dave

Pain is my friend

I have most of my year planned out and looking at next year. I plan 1-2 100 milers a year. With some fun stuff in between.  I have a few race I want to do in the next few years. Like a 48 hour race and a backyard ultra last man standing style. One of my 100s needs to be a Western state 100 Qualifier. On average it takes 3-5 years to get into that one with the loto. Sometimes you can get lucky and get in with 2 tickets like I did back in 2019. I have a friend it took him 7 years to get into the race. Every now and then I will throw in a half or full marathon for training for a 100.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Marky_Mark_17

I used to be very planned and had a race schedule lined up 12-18 months out.  Covid messed with that as it was much harder to be certain about what (if anything) would actually go ahead, for a while.

Then I was reluctant to think about anything much beyond June this year, when our 2nd child is due.  But I had a chat to my wife about this, and she was very supportive of me keeping the running up.  As well being able to enjoy a lot of the events as a family (given there's normally a kids race), we both agreed that it sets a good example to our 5 year old about the value of hard work and training.  Rightly or wrongly, a lot of stuff is very immediate for kids these days... don't know something? Google it.  Want to watch something?  Pick whatever you like on Netflix or Disney+ or whatever.  So the value of hard work (and the "delayed gratification" payoff) is maybe not as obvious as it used to be.  And will probably be even worse in a few years time by the time #2 is at school where AI will probably do their homework for them or something.

Having said that I've limited my focus from June on to races that are fairly close to home.  In all likelihood I'll do the Auckland Half Marathon Series again between Oct 2023 and Apr 2024 because it ticks the boxes of 'close to home' and 'has kids race also'.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Krash also, I just found out, if you show up to the drawing in Auburn you can win one or two entries to the race.  Apparently they hand out playing cards to everyone in the audience and draw one of those after the lottery.

DavePNW  man that comic is hilarious. Also sad.  A guy (SomethingClever)I only know from these forums actually just tore his Achilles’ tendon and is recovering.

Looking at the watch I do it all the time.  Training paces are important to me and I’ll either start too hard, or go too slow.  It’s something I developed after taking advice here on pacing, and making it through workouts. I guess I find it easier to just put a pace target into my head, and rely on the watch to tell me if I’m sandbagging. It’s also how I can hit such consistently consistent workouts when I’m in shape I guess.   On race day….yeah I’m checking it probably every 1/8 mile to make sure I’m not going too fast, while also thinking ‘HOLY SHIT THIS IS FAST!’

hey all, life is busy. I’d love to spend more time here, and the 2023 run groups, as well as the ultra running groups here. I can’t even keep up and work resolved itself, sort of, and my days are being filled with interviews, running, Jeep stuff, dad life, and SOME adulting. I turned Strava private for a bit (hissy fit/depression) and I’m consistently hitting paces while also still so very afraid of miles 16-23 at Boston. I have a dream goal there of getting the 35-39 male qualifying time for NYC. It depends on weather, and having NO experience there I’ve no idea how to approach it wisely. I’m still benefiting from all I’ve learned here over the years though. I’ll try to post more frequently. Looks like a solid group of runners here to start the year.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Fishy - If you're running your recoveries too fast, IMHO, the most likely cause is you're running the fast part too slow.
                    So you should run the fast part faster and keep the recovery the same, nature will make sure you run the recovery slower.
                    Also, holy shit you're planning to run back to back marathons, I winced in pain just thinking about that.

Jmac - Heh, it's a bit different from Florida that it's not as cold in winter nor as hot in summer.
                    I'm sure you meant you can PR on the 5k at a *relatively* slightly warmer temperature as compared to say a half marathon, with that I can agree.
                    If you can PR at the 5k in a warm day it just means you have a soft 5k PR (or you're James from the other thread who detests cold weather).

Dave - LOL

Mark - I've recently watched a YouTube video about an epidemic of dopamine, where everybody just seeks immediate gratification and have a hard time doing stuff that's considered "boring but necessary". I've found myself having a harder time concentrating on non work stuff that I need to study for. The trick apparently is to avoid "quick gratification" activities as much as possible.

This is probably why tik toks are 5 seconds long. This reminds me of the movie "Idiocracy", where a dude travels to the future hoping to find an advanced civilization only to find out that the easy modern life turned everybody into lazy blobs that just lay around doing nothing.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I have most of my year planned out and looking at next year. I plan 1-2 100 milers a year. With some fun stuff in between.  I have a few race I want to do in the next few years. Like a 48 hour race and a backyard ultra last man standing style. One of my 100s needs to be a Western state 100 Qualifier. On average it takes 3-5 years to get into that one with the loto. Sometimes you can get lucky and get in with 2 tickets like I did back in 2019. I have a friend it took him 7 years to get into the race. Every now and then I will throw in a half or full marathon for training for a 100.

In all seriousness, how many miles and hours take place during a backyard last man standing competition? If you are already doing 24+ hour races, do those last for 3.5 days??

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

flavio saw your post about Garmin courses.  If you haven’t ever done it before I’ll tell you this. When you build a course be mindful of remembering it. If you make a few loops Garmin might tell you to go a different direction. All the course knows is your landed on a dot. It doesn’t know ‘continue on this road for approximately 400 meters’. If you have an out and back it usually works fine. If you designed a figure 8 through a neighborhood you could change it to a circle, Garmin would inform you of a missed turn, and when you pass the next dot it will tell you to continue on your course.  Something I learned during ‘run every street’ long runs where I tried to make courses. With a new watch. It was winter and around 5:30am. Fun times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

flavio saw your post about Garmin courses.  If you haven’t ever done it before I’ll tell you this. When you build a course be mindful of remembering it. If you make a few loops Garmin might tell you to go a different direction. All the course knows is your landed on a dot. It doesn’t know ‘continue on this road for approximately 400 meters’. If you have an out and back it usually works fine. If you designed a figure 8 through a neighborhood you could change it to a circle, Garmin would inform you of a missed turn, and when you pass the next dot it will tell you to continue on your course.  Something I learned during ‘run every street’ long runs where I tried to make courses. With a new watch. It was winter and around 5:30am. Fun times.

Thanks, yeah the tech is still very green. My Garmin 945's screen has very low resolution so it's impossible to see where you should go by looking at the tiny map. It would be better if it showed a map of the course and a blue dot of where it thinks you are and the direction you're supposed to go. Garmin lacks a lot in terms of software development, their software is very hard to use, non intuitive.

It kept telling me to turn right, when in fact I should cross the street and take a diagonal street ðŸĪŠ

They're very lucky the likes of Samsung don't care much about runners at the moment, but I'm sure Apple is eating up their marketshare on the i-Fanboys side. And once Apple starts making money, then Samsung will follow.

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP - Forgot to mention. Next time I'll go low-tech, I'll just write down instructions on a paper and follow that instead LOL

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Thanks, yeah the tech is still very green. My Garmin 945's screen has very low resolution so it's impossible to see where you should go by looking at the tiny map. It would be better if it showed a map of the course and a blue dot of where it thinks you are and the direction you're supposed to go. Garmin lacks a lot in terms of software development, their software is very hard to use, non intuitive.

It kept telling me to turn right, when in fact I should cross the street and take a diagonal street ðŸĪŠ

They're very lucky the likes of Samsung don't care much about runners at the moment, but I'm sure Apple is eating up their marketshare on the i-Fanboys side. And once Apple starts making money, then Samsung will follow.

I'm not sure about other versions, but the Fenix 7 and variants fairly recently got directional arrows on courses that makes it easy to know the correct direction. I'd be surprised if this hasn't or won't be implemented across all their watches with navigation (or at least the previous generation).

You might also check your course navigation settings. There are basically two options if you get off route - one is to just reroute from where you are to where you want to go, which works just fine for most of my stuff. There's also one in which it'll route you back to where you left the course if you leave it so you can follow the entire planned course, which should be great for a "run every street" application.

TOTALLY bombed a workout this morning. Just no speed or endurance at all for what I needed/wanted to do. Possibly a one-off, but I may also try adding in some extra carbs on the day before races to see if that's a fix. I usually do pretty well overall (general life and training) on the low carb side of things, but having that extra quick fuel during more intense running could be helpful.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

What are some thoughts on the max distance on long runs training for a Half? JMac recommended to me last year when training for the full to max out long runs at 3 hours and not focus on whether it was 19 or 22 miles. My last 16 mile run was a month ago so I was thinking of just sticking to that as my max while getting in at least 14 for the next few weekends. I have 3 more weeks before the taper starts.

Flavio - I was trying to do a few miles at tempo pace yesterday morning and just couldn't get any speed going. I was having a hard time figuring out the issue and then remembered I did a bunch of body weight squats and deadlifts the day before so my glutes and hamstrings were worn out. I appreciate your optimism that I could go sub 43 in the 10k but that seems unfathomable. I have the 15k tune up race coming up next weekend so I guess we will see and I might surprise myself.

DK - I have been using the tennis ball on my butt/hip and it seems to be a good idea. I tried a hard massage ball and it was too painful with all that weight on it. It seems the tennis ball is just squishy enough to be the right balance of pressure.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10