Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

What are some thoughts on the max distance on long runs training for a Half? JMac recommended to me last year when training for the full to max out long runs at 3 hours and not focus on whether it was 19 or 22 miles. My last 16 mile run was a month ago so I was thinking of just sticking to that as my max while getting in at least 14 for the next few weekends. I have 3 more weeks before the taper starts.

For me it would be 16, just because I’m accustomed to marathon training anyway so go for a LR every weekend out of habit. I’ve rarely if ever done a half-specific plan. I think 14 would be fine too. Of course it also depends on your weekly mileage.

Dave

mmerkle

flavio The "stone bruise" or whatever it is still comes and goes, but is usually more of an issue while walking around barefoot than while running. Thanks for asking.

Andy The idea is, the max physiological benefits from easy paced running come from running 90 minutes - 2.5 hours, essentially regardless of pace. The second statement to my understanding is "within reason" ; I don't think walking for 90 minutes is quite as good as running/jogging easily. But anyway that's the idea. The reason for not going over 3 hours is, at that point it can take quite a long time (2+ weeks) for the muscles to fully recover.

That being said, I don't see anything wrong with long runs for half marathon training being almost as long as, if not AS long as they are for marathon training. But as always, everyone is different. The HM calls for a bit more quality work in my opinion so you want to make sure you are still getting that in.

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Andy - I'd say 15-16 is the real sweet spot (14 a bit less so, but still fine for most people and purposes). Enough for serious aerobic development that helps for any race distance while also being a really good starting point for LRs to support a longer race as well.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Marky_Mark_17

What are some thoughts on the max distance on long runs training for a Half? JMac recommended to me last year when training for the full to max out long runs at 3 hours and not focus on whether it was 19 or 22 miles. My last 16 mile run was a month ago so I was thinking of just sticking to that as my max while getting in at least 14 for the next few weekends. I have 3 more weeks before the taper starts.

I would normally max out at around 2:15-2:30 for a half, probably around 19-20 miles.  Mostly a little shorter, around 1:45-2:00 or so.  I agree with JMac and mmerkle, those long runs are more about time on feet than distance.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Pain is my friend

I would say a good backyard ultras go 150-300. So 1.5 days to 3 days. I hope I can go 200 miles plus.

The longest distance recorded by a competitor in a backyard ultra event is 101 laps (677.26 km or 420.83 miles) achieved by Belgium runners Merijn Geerts and Ivo Steyaert during the 2022 Backyard Ultra World Team Championships in October at their team's home course in Belgium.

In all seriousness, how many miles and hours take place during a backyard last man standing competition? If you are already doing 24+ hour races, do those last for 3.5 days??

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'd say depending on your history and goals, 2 hours is fine.  I'd add in some quality depending on how the rest of your week looks.

I discovered the perils of dehydration last night - I had a reasonably big medium long with 40 minutes of tempo running.  Halfway through the last 10 minutes I started to fade and my HR went high and I felt some nausea during my cool down.  By the time I went to bed I felt really sick with nausea and a headache.  I didn't sleep well and woke up very dry.  2 litres of water later and I felt much better.  It's been 30-35C maximums for the last week and I clearly failed to adjust my fluid intake enough.  Lesson learned.  We've got some cooler days for the next week and maybe even some much needed rain next week as we get the edge of Cyclone Gabrielle, which unfortunately looks set to slam into Auckland, the last place that needs it.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

I'd say depending on your history and goals, 2 hours is fine.  I'd add in some quality depending on how the rest of your week looks.

Agree with this, 2 hours is generally the max I will do for a half unless I’m running a half as part of marathon training. The benefit you get going above 2 hours is not going to matter that much unless you’re really striving to hit your ultimate peak, which for Andy is still a bit way. It goes to our other conversation around the mile: sure, running 22 mile long runs will benefit your half, but it’s not the most beneficial use of your time. Otherwise one could argue 22 miles benefit the mile run, For most folks in the “advanced” category, that generally comes out to 14-17 miles for the half, which feels right.

Steve - the more I read about dehydrated people getting nauseous, the more it makes me happy. Not for your experience obviously, but that hopefully I’ve solved the problems of why I feel so terrible at the end of my last 2 marathons, i.e. it’s not the same nausea I get from intense short efforts. It really can debilitate you.

Flavio - I guess it all comes down to what “warm” is. In my opinion, it’s very hard to PR in the marathon if the temp hits 60, but you can definitely PR in a 5K at that temp, especially if the humidity is low. That’s why here where I am, you can race 5Ks pretty much until the end of May, even some June morning are fine. It’s just July and August where the only suitable race is the mile.

WC - you’re competing with Longboat for best historian!!! We need you guys on a quiz show or something.

Steve/Fishy - you guys are talking about rest but not the distance. 1 minute recoveries is fine for mile cruise intervals, although definitely on the short end unless you are an elite runner. It would be pretty damn near impossible for 2 mile cruise intervals.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I discovered the perils of dehydration last night - I had a reasonably big medium long with 40 minutes of tempo running.  Halfway through the last 10 minutes I started to fade and my HR went high and I felt some nausea during my cool down.  By the time I went to bed I felt really sick with nausea and a headache.  I didn't sleep well and woke up very dry.  2 litres of water later and I felt much better.  It's been 30-35C maximums for the last week and I clearly failed to adjust my fluid intake enough.  Lesson learned.  We've got some cooler days for the next week and maybe even some much needed rain next week as we get the edge of Cyclone Gabrielle, which unfortunately looks set to slam into Auckland, the last place that needs it.

Yuk.  Classic dehydration sign.  The times it's happened to me, that nausea / headache combo is the telltale sign.  Fortunately that hasn't been for a long time, although the first time I hit a big workout on a hot day in summer, I will sometimes have a bit of a lingering headache.  Glad you're feeling better now.

Yes we have... another storm due to hit next week.  Honestly at this point I really don't know what to make of it.  We have had warnings in the past that amounted to not much at all.  The first round of last week's storm was much more serious than all the warnings suggested.  Not much we can do about it either way, I suppose.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fishyone

Steve/Fishy - you guys are talking about rest but not the distance. 1 minute recoveries is fine for mile cruise intervals, although definitely on the short end unless you are an elite runner. It would be pretty damn near impossible for 2 mile cruise intervals.

LOL- Yes I guess the length of the interval would help They were 1 mile at a bit faster than 10K.  The one minute was fine until the 3rd then the last two were tough.  Splits stayed consistent through all 5 so I guess it was enough. Did it again today and it was better than last week.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

dktrotter

Dorothea

I was going to try and be brief in my response today, but nah. 

Thanks for giving a look into your race, Flavio! Yes, I think that pre-fueling strategy was on point, and it must feel good to have that PR without an asterisk! Awesome time, to boot. Those bridges sound a bit complicated, and it does sound a bit warm with the sun (though still mild, in my Floridian opinion Tongue). I appreciate runners who give hand signals when they’re turning, and it’s challenging to run without KM markers… you did well trying to stay on pace. Too bad about the award! But congrats to you and your wife. You also made me want to visit Coimbra. I have only ever been to Braga in Portugal, and liked that a lot. 

Re: 5ks in Portugal… wait, what?! Does it have to do with people not wanting to pay money for only 5k? I get the feeling that’s the case sometimes in Germany. 

Re: heart rate, I would tend to agree that it must be a one-off thing or faulty watch reading, especially since no pink unicorns were  sighted, Steve. However, the fact that it progressed from the 150s fairly steadily confuses me, and while 190 is pushing max HR for me, I was also pushing pretty hard in the run. Yesterday during my track workout, I also reached the 180s on the last reps… maybe I’ve increased my threshold HR? This coincides with the lowest average RHR in months, so maybe I’m right where I want to be for fitness? I dunno. I’m not really concerned, just curious. 

That being said, darkwave you’re giving me reason to believe that I hadn’t technically entered the taper last week yet. I didn’t see it as hard entering it, but on this side of it, I think you’re right. Yeah, it was a 10k at 10k effort. I guess the taper does begin this week after all. Only easy runs from here on out, sans a short MP training next Wednesday. 

Btw, your Tuesday last week looks killer! The workout itself was tough, but leg strength after that? Bet the legs felt like jelly at some point that evening/the next day. Awesome hillwork during the 12-miler as well. 

Re watch reading, the last time I checked my “current pace” during a race was during a 5k in 2013. I learned the hard way that the current pace doesn’t match up with the actual pace at all. I do like to use my lap paces during training, but I’m thinking maybe even that isn’t helpful during a race. Though, like JMac described, I have noticed how seeing another good mile tick off even when not feeling great has been encouraging. Really is about walking that fine line. 

Dave, the hammer-the last-and-next-to-last approach takes some gumption, but it’s never regretted, right? Nice workouts last week. Also love that comic! So sad, so true. 

Fishy, a single minute between mile intervals is brutal. Way to go. 

CK, hope you can fix your treadmill! Though I agree with the comments above. It’s not surprising that even your treadmill can’t keep up with you. 

Re weather: Have to say, but March in Portugal is still cooler than any other time in Florida. (And did I read that you, flavio, think Florida is cold in winter? Because maybe north Florida gets into the 30s sometimes, but I can count the days it’s reached 35°F in the past 5 years here on one hand) I’d argue you can get some good weather still even in south Portugal in March— and I’ve PR’ed in the 5k at 76°F (24°C); Dew Point: 76° F… though that’s probably because it’s relative and all my 5ks have been run here—but don’t let weather stop you from thinking you can PR!). Also Krash, I understand the sentiment of wanting winter to be over, but I’m sitting over here like, wait, did winter even come? Not sure which is preferable. And obviously the New Zealand folks are in the heat of summer right now. I can sympathize about the dehydration. I probably drink 4 liters of water on average during the summer. I’ll drop to 2 a day in the winter, though some days that’s still not enough.  Sigh. I’m really bummed out by an uncharacteristically warm winter, tbh. I hope that cyclone veers off course from Auckland. 

So Steve, I can imagine your run in 3 weeks may be alright. And cool to see your year plans coming together. Like Flavio, I personally can’t conceive of anything after March, in my case after the 40-miler. I think I’ll want to take a bit of a breather, build to higher mileage, and then maybe find some summer races while abroad. As for 7 weeks being enough time for a marathon and a half, I don’t know if I’m the best person to give advice considering the risks I take in my own running, but if you’re going to push hard in Christchurch, then Selwyn may be too soon. I’d only say 7 weeks are enough if you didn’t take one or the other seriously. But sounds like you want to take both seriously so… 

JMac, I did end up looking up some Vaporflys after the last couple posts, but couldn’t find anything within my current budget, but I’m going to keep an eye out. (I have a fairly typical size 8.5) Also two great workouts last week. I tend to agree, a minute rest never really feels like enough. RP, I used to like Adidas! But they’ve been too stiff around the heel for my taste lately. Thanks for the offer, though. And Mark, I had to laugh about the color note. Honestly, not caring what my shoes look like has saved me a lot of money in sale shoes over the years. Question though: between the Vaporfly or ZoomFly, does it matter which I try first? Also, krash, Hoka is obviously a great shoe for ultras, but I am not convinced that I’d want those in anything shorter than a marathon! 

wcrunner, even 6-8 ultras in a year sounds like a lot to me! But yeah, it makes sense that distances, goals, and availability of races affect the schedule. Since marathon season in Florida is Dec-Feb, I find myself jumping into a lot of 5ks and 10ks the rest of the year, just because they fit the random running I do when not prepping for a marathon. 

Mark, it’s awesome you and your wife had that conversation about running with the 2nd child coming along. I have a few running mom friends and it’s of course a good model for the kid, but also helps them mentally in all the things it takes to be a good parent. Hope your wife has a similar something to keep her grounded. Good points about the instant gratification trends too, and the need to help kids counter those. I have Gen Z students for the first time, and they do have a different approach to work and earning a grade. Though some things also never change. 

RP, great to see you again! Sorry about the work thing, but hope something good turns up soon! And hope the training continues to go well.  

Andy, glad to see the tennis ball is working! Yeah, a massage ball is great for plantar fasciitis and other things, but the squishiness of the tennis seems to work better for glute and knee issues. And re: max distances, I forget what I did before using halves to tune-up for fulls, but I think 15 was the max I did (I guess it’s like 2:05-2:15 for me). It’s enough without being too much. 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Thanks for the comments regarding Half training. I think I had the right idea but just wanted to verify. I looked back to my previous Half races, which were before the pandemic started, and I only had one training run longer than 13 miles. Obviously 14-16 mile runs will help me se a new PR.

Steve - We have to deal with the heat/humidity in Memphis from late May until end of September. The trick I have learned is filling up my 2L bladder with ice in my running pack and squirting it on the back of my neck every few minutes. This is artificial sweat and you can feel the cold on your back. Obviously it keeps you a little cooler but the less you sweat, the fewer electrolytes you lose. I frequently will end a run in summer looking like I peed my pants. 

Last summer I did a long race in June (10 nautical miles) and I stashed 4-5 frozen water bottles on the course. I was dripping wet but never felt like I was sweating.

On a side note, I am officially a running coach! I wasn't even asked but the news letter from my son's school says I am one of the assistant coaches to his track/XC team. It pays nothing and I have to leave work early twice a week but I get to "coach" 8-11 year olds with our wonderful sport.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

wcrunner, even 6-8 ultras in a year sounds like a lot to me! But yeah, it makes sense that distances, goals, and availability of races affect the schedule. Since marathon season in Florida is Dec-Feb, I find myself jumping into a lot of 5ks and 10ks the rest of the year, just because they fit the random running I do when not prepping for a marathon. 

That does include races like the Bubbletown What the Duck 12-Hour where I run as part of a team.  Even though the standings are determined by total team mileage, it allows team members to run together, so it's really more a social run for me where I may or may not actually reach ultra numbers. I think last year I ran about 31.5 miles there with a lot of walking and long rests.  It may also include some 6-hour races where it's a real challenge for me to exceed the marathon distance.  DUV, a German website that tracks ultras, won't list a 6-hour result under 45K and that is a real stretch for me these days.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Dorothea - I had never even heard of the Zoomfly. But looks like they are non-carbon speed shoes. For full carbon cheater effect, it’s Vaporfly vs. Alphafly. And that’s totally a matter of personal preference. I’ve only tried the Vaporflys, and I’ve been very happy with them. There seems to be a pretty clear benefit.

My daily trainers are all Brooks. I live in the Brooks HQ city, and there‘s a Brooks Outlet store 15 min from me. They always have discounted older models, which is all I buy. I’ve been rotating the same two shoe models for years (Ghost and Adrenaline), generally 1-2 versions behind.

Dave

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - Thanks for the info, I should RTFM.
                              Also, eat the carbs!

Andy - if you do a proper taper before a 10k race and the weather is good, I'm really certain you can run either sub 43 or low 43.

Steve - My recommendation is to carry a small bottle with you. I find that I drink more water when I have that bottle by my side, then if I have to stand up and go find water somewhere else.

Jmac - Yeah, around 60 is probably the upper limit. Your weather is definitely colder than here in Portugal, there was even a meme last year with a certain country expecting Europe to freeze to death only to find the Portuguese enjoying life at 20c/70F. But it's also mostly because the Portuguese are lazy and their races start very late. I believe that's because the towns are small and they expect a lot of people to come from nearby towns, even 2 hours away.

DK - If you manage to PR at 24C, then you can safely assume you will run 1 to 2 minutes faster if you race around 10-15C.
                              My best 5k time in a warm day is 19 minutes, and best in cold weather is sub 18.

I saw this today:

How Americans measure people

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

Flavio, that's just the thing... my longer distance PRs are all from abroad, since they were run in 15C weather or less and relatively comfortable (though there's the issue with running in 5C weather and having to wear tights and a jacket, which heat up considerably as well). My 10k PR was around 14C on a rare cool April day here, but that 5k was in September. Maybe I could have run faster? But I'm not sure the race was long enough for heat and humidity to have a massive impact. Also lol. Europeans do a lot of side-eying to measure people as well.

re hydration, I wanted to add that for the past two years I've added a liter of something electrolyte-filled to my post-run routine for workouts and long runs. Usually a powdered mix added to my water bottle and stuck in the fridge the night. Here we have Gatorade, but I'm sure there's an equivalent (maybe Nuun?) in NZ. With all those electrolytes lost in sweat, I've found making a point of replenishing them has been vital.

Andy, odd that you'd be made coach without being asked... especially since you'd need to leave work early! But that is kind of cool! There were a group of 6-8 year olds having track practice Tuesday when I was there, and they were amazing at their 200ms. It is a joy to watch.

Dave, I used to prefer ASICS, but since being back in the US, I've been hooked on Ghosts. Also always a model or two behind, but they're my favorite shoe, even more than the Adrenaline, which I like too. Glycerine wasn't bad either. Have a pair of the Launches for races, but really want to try the VFs.

wcrunner, that makes sense re: some relay runs as well.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.