Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Mark - You may have played a part in kicking this one off!

Well I'm glad someone else saw this.

I'm just surprised that guy hasn't commented yet, he loves getting involved here. And Mark it's 100% related to running: the point is he doesn't run, doesn't contribute, but loves being the judge on our arguments. He reminds me of the kid who would run into the school to tell the teachers that two kids were fighting at recess.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Marky_Mark_17

I'm just surprised that guy hasn't commented yet, he loves getting involved here. And Mark it's 100% related to running: the point is he doesn't run, doesn't contribute, but loves being the judge on our arguments. He reminds me of the kid who would run into the school to tell the teachers that two kids were fighting at recess.

Narrator: "And there it was.  Hostilities were already escalating.  It didn't matter that others had done far worse on these threads.  The fragile veneer of peace was mere keystrokes away from being torched in a raging dumpster fire."

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Fishyone

Steve - In my mind, the narrator was in the style of Ron Perlman from Fallout 3.

Anyway, it really just sounds like a bad day to me in terms of your workout HR. I had a similar but much less extreme experience where I had a crap run on Tuesday after a rough night, then ran a much faster steady run at a similar HR today, despite having done a workout yesterday.  Weather was similar both times so the massive change in weather conditions for you would've had a big impact also.  I think calling it early was wise.

Agree completely weather/temp/wind seem to affect my HR even when I'm not aware.  I looked at my run today and was wondering why a mile into a slow warm-up the HR looked like T work and realized I was crossing a bridge into the teeth of a 20MPH wind! It dropped bakc down as soon as I turned the corner.  Funny it didn't feel "that" hard.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

Who doesn't love a good dumpster fire?  With all of the love around here I was thinking it was going to take a few blow-up races to get the juices flowing (maybe mine will be the one).

Last big workout today 14 with 4x2 @ HMP 2 min jogs. It was crazy windy but I hit the splits and feel ready for a good race on 3/19. It is weird prepping for a half as a goal race.  I've only ever raced them in marathon builds or after a big race to capture the gains. I've got 15 steady Friday then probably a mini taper next week.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

JoshWolf

Part of TLC

Well I'm glad someone else saw this.

I'm sure others saw it too .

Don't hurry - next AG will start 2026

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Once upon a time anyone could enter the US National Marathon Championship.  Here's another certificate from olden times.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Pain is my friend

You could us the walk break in conjunction with a aid station stop. The Goal the walk break is to use different muscle. There are some marathon runners that will walk through aid stations to drink water. I use them as part of a race strategy. Bob (bhearn) on RA is the master at this. He would run 6 laps on a track and then walk for 1 min. He could run the same pace for 24 hours. He has run 154 miles with this strategy. I have never been strict on time. I am experimenting with the walk break. I will start early instead of late like other races. After 40-50 miles I would find a hill or section of the loop to do a short walk. The walk break can also save energy for the long day. The walk break is not a stroll pace. I would classify it as walking with a purpose.

krash Is the 30 second walk just to practice starting back up to run pace after stopping in aid stations? It's not something I would think of adding to a workout or long run. Mostly because it isn't ever fun to start back up.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

Running Problem

Problem Child

Can we get a new narrator? I can't understand the accent this one has.

I did my 3x"kind of in the ballpark of T" workout last night and going INTO it I thought about doing 4, then I thought "oh man...4x2T is the workout for 6 weeks out in the JD book. THIS WILL BE AWESOME!" Slightly later I realized a 6:30/mi pace ISN'T threshold so my excitement died down because doing a 4x2"almost near threshold" paced workout isn't the same as 4x2T. When it ended I could have done a fourth. I actually took off too fast for the third one (5:55mi pace for a portion) because it was downhill, slipped on some ice for a hot second (thank you multiple hard runs on ice/snow) and regained my composure to finish the workout. Something I did find interesting is the lack of using a workout. For speed workouts I'd program almost everything into Garmin since I don't do them on a track. For this I just told myself I can remember "the watch beeped one time and I run until it beeps another time." I also have a screen with Lap Time on it apparently, so I used lap time for recovery. I honestly think NOT having the Garmin 3-5 second count down beep at the finish helped since I didn't actually know where the interval would end. Add in the odd ball 2:30 jog distance (it ended up being 400m BUT I didn't know this since I was watching the time) and I never actually knew where to end it until I heard the second beep.

On part I DID do was the JD 5:1 work ratio. My brain said 5:1 at 3 minutes was 15 total run, and 5:1 at 2 minutes was 10 so halfway between was 2:30 because 7 minutes was about 15 and 6:00 was kinda clsoe to 10 and 2:30 recovery jog was less than 50% of the 6:30 mile pace. I made it up, and it turns out to match Hansons, plus the point is to keep lactic acid accumulation high so the third one is harder than the rest.

Based on the spreadsheet and my 10k from November I was running at approximately 15k pace. It did not FEEL like a 165-170 heart rate. More like low 160s and this might be a benefit of such cold temps.

Yeah, I thought about all this during my first interval because none of it was actually planned out when I started. Turns out it went well with a minimal amount of "surges" for the run portion, and not too much BELOW a 6:30/mi pace. I also considered using super shoes because of what Marky_mark said about working different muscles but opted against it when I thought there might be more ice on the path than there actually was. I was also happy to have dressed more appropriately for a "feels like 23" jog back home because the last few times I've done these workouts it gets REALLY cold in arm sleeves, beanie, mittens, shorts, and a t shirt when the wind blows from the headwind direction.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

The walk break is not a stroll pace. I would classify it as walking with a purpose.

This is something my runner from Western States said a few times, and I took to heart during my 50 miler. Typically my walking pace is "giving up" effort just because I walk slow (my wife hates it, the 2 year old not so much). Walking with purpose mixed in with running, especially on hills, sounds like a good workout to have. Is there a distance you'll do these for (20 mile runs) or just whenever you feel like it? Without remembering how long the workout was I'm wondering if you'd do a run/walk for an 8 or 10 mile road expedition.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Can we get a new narrator? I can't understand the accent this one has.

Honestly I was thinking in the style of Ron Perlman AKA Fallout narrator guy AKA Hellboy AKA Clay from Sons of Anarchy but I could go for a more Philomena Cunk style if you'd prefer.

Also, good call on not using high stack shoes in icy conditions. That sounds like a recipe for disaster.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Pain is my friend

I don't put scheduled walk breaks in any training runs or races Less that 100 miles. Other than my only one flat 100 miler, I walk only the steep uphills. I normal use it for 24 hour races. I have added some walk breaks in to my few long runs 20 miles. I am testing out something new. I have a 12 hour race soon and I plan to use it the whole race. I will let you know how it goes. If it works I will use it for my next 24 hour race. My normal walk breaks would be when every I feel like it. The test is run 2 miles and then walk for 30 sec. With the testing I have already done, I have found that I make up most of that 30 sec within the first half mile of starting back up.

This is something my runner from Western States said a few times, and I took to heart during my 50 miler. Typically my walking pace is "giving up" effort just because I walk slow (my wife hates it, the 2 year old not so much). Walking with purpose mixed in with running, especially on hills, sounds like a good workout to have. Is there a distance you'll do these for (20 mile runs) or just whenever you feel like it? Without remembering how long the workout was I'm wondering if you'd do a run/walk for an 8 or 10 mile road expedition.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

dktrotter

Dorothea

never mind. Going to rethink and repost at some point.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Marky_Mark_17

Once upon a time anyone could enter the US National Marathon Championship.  Here's another certificate from olden times.

Very cool.

Interestingly, the NZ Marathon Champs (and other various road championship events) still operate on a policy of 'open to all'.  You have to be registered to a club, but that's about it.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Once upon a time anyone could enter the US National Marathon Championship. 

Isn't this around the same time that WOMEN were first allowed to run the marathon? I'm not poking fun at you or anything because your accomplishments for over 50 years are an accomplishment in themselves. I frequently tell people at work that my dad started with FedEx in 1979 and retired just a few years ago; they are frequently impressed. You are continuing to keep trucking down the road/trail and are inspiring to us "young guys".

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A belated Happy International Women’s Day to all the wonderful ladies on this thread. ❤️

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)