Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Am I the only one who still hasn't gotten into the super shoes / cheater shoes? Not sure why but I'm hesitant. Doesn't help that they're expensive.

Have a look at secondhand cheater shoes on eBay, some people have more money than sense and get rid after a couple of races. I ran my 5k and marathon PR with the original 4% shoes and I bet you could pick up a really cheap pair. Then see how you get on with them as there is minimal difference compared to the more expensive upgrades on sale now. They feel weird, but for me personally I think they improved my time by approx 20 seconds per 5km.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

I have 14 pairs of running shoes but the lift kit for my Jeep is still in the box in my garage... I will probably get it installed in April after we see how much money we spent during the cruise next week.

PAY SOMEONE TO DO IT. Trust me. It isn't worth saving money when you can pay someone to have it done in a day. Maybe your lift is more "bolt in" than "tear everything apart, cut to make things fit, and buy more tools and stuff so you can fabricobble it together" than mine.

hrv I had mine accurately predict I was getting sick. A day or two before I started feeling sick it told me my body was stressed. It was kind of convenient to know ahead of time, and sometimes it just tells me I'm fine when I really want it to tell me to take a break. Nope....body apparently handles marathon training the way I do it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Pain is my friend

On my non-workout days I take it easy. 8-11 miles at what ever pace I feel like. About 8:30- 9:30 pace. Some road and some trail. I take one rest day a week.

Krash - what do your non-workout days look like? I'm curious.

RP- I have a pair of Carbon-x Hoka. But I got them for road Ultras. Didn't really work. I purposely didn't wear them for my last sub 3 marathon. I may have been faster. But the goal was to prove I could run a sub 3 marathon mostly on ultra training, some speed work and see if I could run as fast as I did 10-15 years ago. It worked.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Anyway, it seems to me that whenever there are more than one race on the same day, the longer race tends to be correct and the short race tends to be incorrect distance.

This has happened 3 times to me already.

It happens here in the US too. I paced my brother in a Half one time and part of the course was flooded due to heavy rain so they had to reroute. Some moron clearly put the turnaround cones in the wrong place because the last 7 mile-markers on the course were exactly 0.65 miles short of my watch. My brother and I raced the last 400m before the finish line but kept running until his watch hit 13.1 (just like you did) so he could count it as a PR.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

On my non-workout days I take it easy. 8-11 miles at what ever pace I feel like. About 8:30- 9:30 pace. Some road and some trail. I take one rest day a week.

RP- I have a pair of Carbon-x Hoka. But I got them for road Ultras. Didn't really work. I purposely didn't wear them for my last sub 3 marathon. I may have been faster. But the goal was to prove I could run a sub 3 marathon mostly on ultra training, some speed work and see if I could run as fast as I did 10-15 years ago. It worked.

I also want to run a sub-3 without cheaterfly super shoes to prove I can do it. It just has to wait until after Boston. I don't think I'd be wearing them for a 50k road race. I think it's mental. I guess I proved to myself I can do a 50 miler on casual running and do pretty well last year.

I sometimes think I could sneak into a 100 miler, but the trial work commitment might be tough. TRT just told people there is probably a zero point zero percent chance of doing trail work on the course due to snow. I guess I'd have to contact some RDs to see if they know of other things, but then again i can avoide all this mess by avoiding 100 milers.

I do kind of want to succeed at Boston so I can jump into Silver State 50k on marathon training just to see how it would go. Completely different gear.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Krash - I'm really interested in how your run/walk experiment turns out. I'll be picking your brain later.

RP - "Fabricobble". I like that one. I need to figure out how to use that along with "auto-magically" during a customer presentation. "You don't have to fabricobble anything together, it just works auto-magically."

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

I also want to run a sub-3 without cheaterfly super shoes to prove I can do it.

Then see if you can do it in an old-school pair of Chuck Taylors! I'm pretty much all-in on the magic shoes. If I'm in shape for a fast marathon without them, then I'm in shape for an even faster marathon with them, and I'd rather come away with the better result. Everyone uses them, they're legal in competition, I don't really feel like I'm cheating.

We have The Light at the End of the Tunnel Marathon here, on a downhill public trail, and it's spurred a whole bunch of halves & fulls run throughout the year on the same course. It's 3 flat miles through a pitch black tunnel (you need to bring a headlamp), then a very steady, gentle downhill the rest of the way that results in a total 2000 ft drop. It's gradual enough that it doesn't feel like a downhill, it just feels like you're having a good day. A lot of people use that for their PRs and BQs, although people have different experiences with it. I avoided it because I wanted to see if I could BQ without it. I did, then I never got around to running it. I've only been on it once, pacing a half. I guess I should race it at some point to see what it gets me.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

dave does't Tunnel require you to run uphill a bit before turning around and running the rest of the race downhill? I thought seattlemax ran it for one of his last BQs.

Chuck taylors....I'm from the wrong generation to wear those. VANS are more my style/generation. Good thing I stay OUT of the VANS store. Mostly because I spend all my money buying running shoes through apps.  I'm not sure VANS shoes even flex in the midfoot.

keen sounds like you have your sentenced figured out and the challenge will be dropping it on people who can comprehend fabricobble without questioning you.

VDOT 53.37 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

RP - If you want to go sub 3 without cheater shoes, wouldn't it make sense to go barefoot?  All shoes are cheater shoes

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

mmerkle

RP - If you want to go sub 3 without cheater shoes, wouldn't it make sense to go barefoot?  All shoes are cheater shoes

If you're implying what I think you are, I'm in agreement here to an extent. The shoes we have now, with or without carbon plates, are much better than they were several decades ago. And what about tracks now? Are they cheater tracks because they are made of a synthetic material that allows spikes to dig into them? It's difficult to decide when a change in technology is acceptable. What do we seek to reward in the sport of distance running? Do carbon plate shoes in some way mask or overwhelm one or more of those things we seek to reward? Even if everyone technically has access to them?

Flavio I forgot to remark on you PR. As I said on Strava, badass running through the finish. As to the stoic state, sometimes a VO2 max effort leaves my brain in a really spaced out Zen-like state where nothing seems to matter. Is there a chance that is what happened?

JMac11

RIP Milkman

The cheater shoe argument was much more relevant when the VF was the only game in town and it wasn't really clear where regulations would fall. Now it's just silly for the reasons stated by others above .

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

dave does't Tunnel require you to run uphill a bit before turning around and running the rest of the race downhill? I thought seattlemax ran it for one of his last BQs.

There are a number of different races that use that course. The original version basically starts with the tunnel, then the rest downhill. There is (at least) one version that does an out & back for the first 5 miles, then hits the tunnel, then the rest downhill.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I also want to run a sub-3 without cheaterfly super shoes to prove I can do it. It just has to wait until after Boston. I don't think I'd be wearing them for a 50k road race. I think it's mental. I guess I proved to myself I can do a 50 miler on casual running and do pretty well last year.

I sometimes think I could sneak into a 100 miler, but the trial work commitment might be tough. TRT just told people there is probably a zero point zero percent chance of doing trail work on the course due to snow. I guess I'd have to contact some RDs to see if they know of other things, but then again i can avoide all this mess by avoiding 100 milers.

I do kind of want to succeed at Boston so I can jump into Silver State 50k on marathon training just to see how it would go. Completely different gear.

I get it and I’m pleased I ran a 2:51 in 2016 in a pair of Hoka Tracers!

I’m also pleased that I’ve never run a short course and then pretend it was a GPS issue. That would be the ultimate bullshit.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

MMerkle - It sounds like it's you, Andy and myself the last 3 hold outs, the real runners 😂 In fact I'm planning to go the other direction and run in minimalist shoes when I get strong enough.

I wonder if this is the hill I'll choose to die at. Similar to how I stopped caring about social networks about the time Snapchat came around and ignored anything new that came afterwards, unlike CommanderKeen who is a known fan of the TikTok app (he follows Julia Roberts there IIRC).

Re: the race, I might in fact have become a zen master during the race. I know I was very calm afterwards 😎

me - My wife and I have started working with a strength training personal trainer at a local fitness studio. They have a great price for training in pairs.

For the past 3 years we were paying a remote strength training coach and then following his routine working out alone at a local gym.

Let's see if having a dedicated coach watching every move and ensuring proper form/effort will be helpful. It seems like that so far.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

The cheater shoe argument was much more relevant when the VF was the only game in town and it wasn't really clear where regulations would fall. Now it's just silly for the reasons stated by others above .

Kara Goucher and Des have a podcast where they pretty much discussed this. It seems like they were pointing out how the Vaporfly came out, and PERHAPS behind the scenes Nike and the NCAA worked together to define the rules/limits/regulations around what is and isn't alowed. Des even said she wasn't a fan of the carbon shoe and had more of the "old school" mentality of running without assitance until they realized an elite runner could take 3 minutes off their marathon time. They said "stand on the starting line and wait 3 minutes for everyone else you're racing against."

Mikkey I'm not sure I'll EVER run a 2:51. I'll probably get OUT of the marathon game before I'm fast enough to hit THAT mark...and I really wouldn't know what to do after, other than retire from the Marathon with a PR.

VDOT 53.37