Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Pain is my friend

AndyTN- Awesom job on the half. No potty stops is a win. Some times the potty stop is the goal. There was a guy a few years back that would hide in the pota potty on a loop race and then come out to cross the mate again. Wcrunner would remember this guy. He would cheat to win races. I was going to race him once but he didn't show up to the race.

RP- zoom zoom. Great 5k. I haven't raced one in a long time.

Garmin- It has to be accurate. My buddy and I have the same watch. But our miles are never the same.

I have a cut back week. 60 miles. Running a 12 hour race. It was my first loop race back in 2016. I hope to take my CR back. Its just outside of Bosie ID.

Mon- 9 mile progressive.

Tue- 18 miles at an easy pace.

Wed- 8 easy- start of a 10 day taper

Thur- 8 easy

Fri.- too much work no running

Sat- 11 easy

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

mmerkle

Thanks all for the compliments on my week.

dktrotter I actually do follow women's running believe it or not.

Mikkey There's a saying in my family: Don't try to make sense of nonsense.

RP I wouldn't be surprised if one or two more attempts would have you close to or under 18. The 5k is like that, you gotta do a few to get the best result. Think about HS and college athletes who do at least 5 of them in a season. Not surprising that big PRs often result.

RP/Commander I have read that speed work is beneficial even for ultramarathon performance. Here is one article I saw recently. It's just one study but still interesting

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/368378457_VO2max_and_Velocity_at_VO2max_Play_a_Role_in_Ultradistance_Trail-Running_Performance

Garmin/Training Question

I know you should take what Garmins say with a grain of salt, but this morning the training status on my Garmin went from "Productive" to "Peaking". Should I be worried that I'm peaking too early? I didn't save my last two treadmill workouts so maybe it thinks I'm resting more than I actually am? I think I'm going to mostly not worry, but I'm just curious.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Thanks all for the compliments on my week.

Garmin/Training Question

I know you should take what Garmins say with a grain of salt, but this morning the training status on my Garmin went from "Productive" to "Peaking". Should I be worried that I'm peaking too early? I didn't save my last two treadmill workouts so maybe it thinks I'm resting more than I actually am? I think I'm going to mostly not worry, but I'm just curious.

no. After you peak Garmin is going to reset the requirements to be "maintaining" and you'll go back down. It's a moving target.

Krash My RB bought a Fenix 6 and told me it was because his Fenix 3 GPS was inaccurate.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Echoing RP - I would ignore that altogether.  It's just noise.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

RP/Commander I have read that speed work is beneficial even for ultramarathon performance. Here is one article I saw recently. It's just one study but still interesting

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/368378457_VO2max_and_Velocity_at_VO2max_Play_a_Role_in_Ultradistance_Trail-Running_Performance

Garmin/Training Question

I've been a strong proponent of speed work for longer distances for many years. Even without the benefit of studies it seemed logical that with a higher VO2Max, I could reach a higher LT, and that would help me in running faster, longer at the same percentage of LT.

This is what Garmin says about Peaking:
            Peaking

Peaking means that you are in ideal race condition. Your recently reduced training load is allowing your body to recover and fully compensate for earlier training. You should plan ahead, since this peak state can only be maintained for a short time.

I'd ignore that last part because I doubt there's much correlation between Garmin thinking you're well rested, and actually being in peak condition.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

dktrotter I actually do follow women's running believe it or not.

Mikkey There's a saying in my family: Don't try to make sense of nonsense.

Garmin/Training Question

Women’s running will eventually mean nothing as sadly no biological woman will hold any WR’s. Some of the old timers know that I’m a huge Paula Radcliffe fan and she’s a brilliant pundit. ❤️

Mmerkle - As your family said - don’t try to make sense of nonsense, so ignore Garmin. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - The increased speed/fitness from the workouts should certainly help even in an ultra. Even if it doesn't, it won't hurt (workout days are a higher mileage day) and it'll keep me from getting slow before going back to shorter races.

Flavio - Dead on with Uber/Lyft pricing. I only use that when I'm travelling for work and the company is paying for it.

Krash - I've been waiting to hear an interview with the guy who was cheating in those looped courses (his name escapes me right now), but I think he just tried to disappear after he was caught.

MMerkle - "Peaking" in Garmin speak means your fitness has been increasing and your workload has decreased. Not saving those two treadmill workouts will absolutely generate this based on artificially lowering your training load.
                ETA: WC beat me to this.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Re women’s day, I was going to be really snarky and post on my Strava thanks to women of the past for debunking all the stupid reasons women weren’t allowed to run the marathon for so long, but then I went the more measured route. I still feel for Kathrine Switzer and having the RD try to grab her to get off course in the middle of running. The question of women’s vs. men’s sports and achievements continues to be an interesting one. The fastest woman in a track or road distance will never beat a man, but there are some interesting statistics from trail and ultra races about the average overall wins for women. Also everyone knows the name of the fastest men the world, but how many can name the fastest women off the top of their heads? (I can’t) Also ha ha RP, they’ll use anything these days to have an excuse for a sale. 

A little late in responding, but I've been much aware of women in running since I restarted as an adult in 1968, including the inequities. My coach back then was one of the top women middle distance runners in the country, but remained somewhat frustrated that she wasn't allowed to race longer distances except when women were allowed to race 2 miles for cross country.  My current coach is also a woman. When I coached, I had more years coaching HS girls than I did boys.

When I moved to CT a few years later, several women were commonly racing on the roads, mostly unofficially because of AAU rules at the times.  They were generally accepted by the men, though there were always a few upset that they'd been "chicked". I have mixed feeling about Jock Semple trying to grab Kathrine Switzer's number.  I can't help but believe there was some intentional deception there, if not by Swtizer, then by her coach who would have known of the prohibition of women running that far.  Semple had to follow AAU rules, though his methodology in attempting to remove Switzer from the race left much to be desired.

As closely as I follow women's running, I have a hard time keeping up with who the current record holder or world leader is in middle distance and distance running. There seems to be a lot of turnover, though I would be more likely to recognize a name as opposed to being able to recall one from memory.  I'm more likely to recognize US runners as I've followed many of them from when they were HS stars. Ultrarunning Magazine's year end review is always interesting because it lists races won outright by women and the list seems to grow each year.

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Pain is my friend

K. Agnew is the guy. I don't think there is any interview. Marathon investigation did a report on him. I found a report later that he moved to FL but was being indited for money froud from the company he worked from.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/ultrarun-winner-cheated-by-hiding-in-a-port-a-potty.html

Krash - I've been waiting to hear an interview with the guy who was cheating in those looped courses (his name escapes me right now), but I think he just tried to disappear after he was caught.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

Pulse endurance 48 hr 175.3 miles

Bonnevile Backyard ultra 

Ute 100 Aug

24 hour loop race?

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

K. Agnew is the guy. I don't think there is any interview. Marathon investigation did a report on him. I found a report later that he moved to FL but was being indited for money froud from the company he worked from.

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/ultrarun-winner-cheated-by-hiding-in-a-port-a-potty.html

I believe his username on RA was lace_up.  I met him at Jackpot Ultra Festival one year and again at ATY (Across the Years, which is where he got caught, though not the year I was there).

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K

Marky_Mark_17

Re women’s day, I was going to be really snarky and post on my Strava thanks to women of the past for debunking all the stupid reasons women weren’t allowed to run the marathon for so long, but then I went the more measured route. I still feel for Kathrine Switzer and having the RD try to grab her to get off course in the middle of running. The question of women’s vs. men’s sports and achievements continues to be an interesting one. The fastest woman in a track or road distance will never beat a man, but there are some interesting statistics from trail and ultra races about the average overall wins for women. Also everyone knows the name of the fastest men the world, but how many can name the fastest women off the top of their heads? (I can’t) Also ha ha RP, they’ll use anything these days to have an excuse for a sale. 

Sorry I missed this first time around with all the activity on here, but I can sure name NZ's fastest woman.  Zoe Hobbs ran 10.97 in the 100m on the weekend to break her own Oceania record and become the first NZ woman to run under 11 seconds.  Ridiculously, she didn't get selected for the Tokyo Olympics because the NZ Olympic Committee have some silly policy about not picking athletes in track events unless they're a decent shot at making the final... which in something like the 100m is nuts.  Anyway, her time would've been good for 5th equal in the 100m final at Tokyo so she's giving the selectors a big one-finger salute right now.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

A question for the ladies…are you ok with a trans athlete winning the 1500m event in the 50-54 category in Canada…a year after breaking the 5000m 45-49 AG record in 18:02.  Is that acceptable?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-11799445/Trans-athlete-WINS-womens-1-500m-event-Canada.html

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

dk - Have you heard of Eilish McColgan? Check out her gold 10,000m race last year at the Commonwealth Games on YouTube as it was incredible. She’s coached by her legend Mum Liz and is running her first marathon at London next month.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

dk - Have you heard of Eilish McColgan? Check out her gold 10,000m race last year at the Commonwealth Games on YouTube as it was incredible. She’s coached by her legend Mum Liz and is running her first marathon at London next month.

McColgan broke Radcliffe's 10,000m record on March 4th at The Ten running 30:00.86 followed by Alicia Monson in a US record 30:03.82.

https://www.worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-continental-tour/news/san-juan-capistrano-ten-mccolgan-monson-10000m

2024 Races:

05/11 - D3 50K