Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Marky_Mark_17

McColgan broke Radcliffe's 10,000m record on March 4th at The Ten running 30:00.86 followed by Alicia Monson in a US record 30:03.82.

https://www.worldathletics.org/competitions/world-athletics-continental-tour/news/san-juan-capistrano-ten-mccolgan-monson-10000m

She said she didn't get a decent look at the clock or else she would've pushed it harder on that final straight, or something to that effect.  She's been in all kinds of form and it was great to see a Scot take the record.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Mark that was an incredible run by Zoe. She seems like a great person too. No ego.

Mikkey Eilish McGolgen is amazing. She's very tall for a distance runner. She appears very humble too.

If I was a woman....I would not be happy with transgender athletes competing against me.

That seems like a fairly soft world record for that age group.

There are still a few old fashioned gender things here in NZ like men run a 10 000m cross country but women only run 8000m ?

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark that was an incredible run by Zoe. She seems like a great person too. No ego.

Mikkey Eilish McGolgen is amazing. She's very tall for a distance runner. She appears very humble too.

If I was a woman....I would not be happy with transgender athletes competing against me.

That seems like a fairly soft world record for that age group.

There are still a few old fashioned gender things here in NZ like men run a 10 000m cross country but women only run 8000m ?

I think it was the British or possibly European record, not the WR, that McColgan got. I think the WR is a minute or so quicker.

Yes I think that's true re XC, plus for national road champs, its 10km for senior men and senior women, 10km for masters men, but somehow only 5km for masters women.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Running Problem

Problem Child

Was she wearing carbon fiber shoes, or the same type of shoes as the previous record holder?

I just looked something up using my recent 5k.

4x2T is a 6:20/mi pace. 2 minute rest between runs.

I don't think I'll try this without FULLY accepting the possibility of my entire body wanting to kill the mind for having this idea.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Was she wearing carbon fiber shoes, or the same type of shoes as the previous record holder?

I just looked something up using my recent 5k.

4x2T is a 6:20/mi pace. 2 minute rest between runs.

I don't think I'll try this without FULLY accepting the possibility of my entire body wanting to kill the mind for having this idea.

2:30 rest is more appropriate if you’re using Daniels given that pace. Should make it more palatable!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Mark when I said soft record I meant the 50 to 55 Canadian 5k female 

55+ PBs 5k 18:36 June 3rd TT

" If you don't use it you lose it,  but if you use it, it wears out.

Somewhere in between is about right "      

Marky_Mark_17

Mark when I said soft record I meant the 50 to 55 Canadian 5k female 

Lol whoops!

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Garmin/Training Question

I know you should take what Garmins say with a grain of salt, but this morning the training status on my Garmin went from "Productive" to "Peaking". Should I be worried that I'm peaking too early? I didn't save my last two treadmill workouts so maybe it thinks I'm resting more than I actually am? I think I'm going to mostly not worry, but I'm just curious.

I vote you replace it with an analog Timex.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I think it was the British or possibly European record, not the WR, that McColgan got. I think the WR is a minute or so quicker.

That was the British 10,000m record. She does hold the European 10K road record at 30:19.

The 10,000m WR is 29:01.03 by Gidey. Hassan holds the European 10,000m record at 29:06.82.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                          05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Running Problem

Problem Child

2:30 rest is more appropriate if you’re using Daniels given that pace. Should make it more palatable!

Bless your heart.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Garmin/Training Question

I know you should take what Garmins say with a grain of salt, but this morning the training status on my Garmin went from "Productive" to "Peaking". Should I be worried that I'm peaking too early? I didn't save my last two treadmill workouts so maybe it thinks I'm resting more than I actually am? I think I'm going to mostly not worry, but I'm just curious.

I wouldn't worry at all, especially if it's working off incomplete data.  I agree with others that most of Garmin's "recommendations" should be taken with a hefty dose of salt.  Garmin normally tells me my VO2Max gets worse every summer when it gets hot, and particularly if I run hills.  Running a tempo workout on the flat on a cold day magically improves it.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

[Edited to cut unnecessary front matter.]

RP, I have to agree with Steve! Having the calculator match up your 5k with your marathon is pretty rare! It sounds like you’re in old PR shape right now, and you still have a month to get to new PR shape. Also thanks for those tips with the watch! I figured out how to add the map to my run data screens. Yay! I’ll be able to see how it works tomorrow.

Steve, I guess if you’re working off relative stats, then it can be pretty useful. I do find it annoying how it’s not always reliable, though. But I remember you use a chest strap? So that should be more reliable… but also dependent on the communication between the pod and the watch. Either way, I guess using it as a guide, but not an instruction is the idea. Also I read that your temps got up into 28C! That’s hot even for me. 20C is more comfortable, but it does just depend on conditioning and the effort. 

Flavio, don’t worry. I talk about things all the time without knowing enough about them. But I appreciate your thoughts about the inserts. It’s a weird thing. I was first diagnosed with PF in 2015. I got inserts, wore them for a year, things were hunky-dory, and I stopped wearing them. Around that time I probably ran a bit less, so maybe that helped. At any rate, four years later, got PF again, this time it got real bad because I ignored it for months, and the doc told me (once I finally checked in again) I should have kept wearing them… that once you start, it’s impossible to stop. I don’t know. I occasionally run without the inserts and things feel stiff afterwards. Is it just because of the change or because I can’t do without them? I don’t know. Maybe one day I’ll be forced to take a longer running break, and if I start back up, I’ll try to start without the inserts. By that point everything will have been reset anyway. 

Hopefully the course is dry by the time of your race! Running in mud on a cliff does not sound ideal. Good to get acquainted with the course either way (especially those stairs, it sounds like. Quite annoying). And you’re not the only one to do the bib-pin to shirt the night before. The only time I don’t do that is if I’m not sure which top I’m wearing. But even if not, I usually have it in my bag, ready to go. 

Also, JMac, can we have the Julia Roberts riding a green dinosaur now? Sorry to read you’re just looking at the HM as a run and done situation (if I understood correctly). Seems like a shame. But glad to see you’re recovered from your food poisoning! 

Keen, glad to read the issue is gone, and that you had a few great runs with your family! Even if that one workout was a wash. Also that’s cool about the flying thing! My dad was an Air Force pilot, and he likes to say that any controls in recreational and commercial craft are a breeze compared to what he flew. But it does sound like it makes it more accessible. 

Wcrunner, that trick with the watch is so cool! Next time I’m stranded without my GPS watch or phone (which ironically was Sunday after posting), I will do that. Hard to imagine that was the norm though, as well as only having gun time for large races. Good thing kids were probably not allowed at those races back then? 

krash, good luck at your race and getting the CR again!

Quote from Krash on 3/14/2023 at 3:13 PM:

K. Agnew is the guy. I don't think there is any interview. Marathon investigation did a report on him. I found a report later that he moved to FL but was being indited for money froud from the company he worked from.

Why am I not surprised he’s now in Florida 

Re IWD, I would love to hash this out more, because it’s a topic with so many different facets. There are many more fundamental areas to worry about women’s rights in than running in Europe, the US, and Australia/NZ, and Japan, but that’s the one I wanted to write on Strava about. The fact that women in Iran are fighting to dress the way they want and women in Afghanistan went from being IT technicians, engineers, and scholars to confined to their houses is what I also primarily thought of this IWD. But then I remember that it hasn’t been that long that women have had those rights in this country, so I’m grateful. But in the topic of women’s running, many facets as well. One could talk about just being able to run through the streets of many countries safely, competition rules--from distances to outfits allowed, endorsements, coaching that doesn’t account for women’s long-term health, and so on. I’m glad to see I’m proved wrong about knowing names. I will admit I know top runners in the US and Germany, but I think I was thinking more of how everyone knows Usain Bolt’s name, but not Florence Griffith-Joyner or the runner-up Elaine Thompson-Herah. I’m sure most competitive women do, but there’s a difference between running fame and house-hold name fame. Shalane Flanagan and Paula Radcliffe have certainly earned that honor… but for every one of them there’s five male marathoners I could list. But maybe you’re onto something there, wcrunner, about it having to do with the turnover. 

Thanks all for giving me a few more awesome athletes to follow

Re Mikkey, when I posted, I was also thinking of the tricky situation with trans- and non-binary athletes. Like ChatGPT for the writing world, I think there are a lot of things that still need to be figured out. For starters, no one is talking about a birth-designated man who has not undergone any transition yet, but identifies as a woman, competing against cis-women. However, what people fail to understand is that once the male body begins the medical transformation, it is not as strong or unaffected. Despite still having the build of a man, those hormones affect the blood flow, bone consistency and obviously hormone levels, most obviously testosterone. The playing field is leveled out in a way that is more within line of natural variation. Are you going to ban a cis-woman with naturally slightly higher-than-usual T levels? No. So I think the sports organizations are doing the right thing in that regard. That being said, I’m obviously not in that playing field. I’m not competing at that level or losing first place to them. Would I feel a bit weird about a trans woman winning the distance over and over again, or getting the WR? Maybe. I would wonder if there is indeed an unfair advantage. But like Newell states or others suggest, I wouldn’t say they should compete now against cis-or trans men, either. So that’s where the non-binary category comes in. Except there you have people who aren’t trans, but are still gender non-conforming, within that category, so it would be unfair, too to those who have undergone transition. Which means we need multiple non-binary categories alongside the cis-male and cis-female. And maybe that’s in our future. And maybe Newell’s records will get an asterix. So basically my bottom line is: I think this is still something we’re trying to figure out, and I’m here for it. I believe all people should have equal access to sports and competition. 

Also re Mikkey, if I was concerned about health, the 6-feet distance would have been the first thing I’d done. Weird. 

Re watches: solar power ftw! How long does the cell last? But sounds perfect for me… 

Mmerkle, I don’t know enough about Garmin to comment, but I would imagine not recording some runs may have something to do with it “thinking” you’re in a different state than you are. But also lol Dave. Yes, clearly the answer is to replace it with an analog :-) 

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

mmerkle

dktrotter You say despite still having the build of a man, but isn't that a significant factor? Having wide hips is a disadvantage in running for example. Men typically have more narrow hips. And being tall with really long arms is helpful in swimming. And slightly higher than normal testosterone is not what's happening currently. From what I have read, what is currently allowed in a lot of NCAA sports is much higher than what is found is most women. It also seems that, at least after only one year, strength reduction from testosterone suppression doesn't close the gap regarding performance advantage https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33289906/  But I do agree that overall it's a nuanced issue that should be studied more. Exercise scientists have their work cut out for them.

mmerkle

Dave Lol how about I start runnin when the sun come up and stop when it come  back down

dktrotter

Dorothea

A few more thoughts.

Fair point, mmerkle, though I know there's lots of variation there too, and sports have always had to accommodate for biological advantages within the sexes as well. Doesn't Michael Phelps have an abnormally long arm span? Still, we can't discredit his accomplishments.

Also, sports medicine research has a lot of catching up to do with women's athletics, too! It's a funding question as well.

The 50 to 55 Canadian 5k female record is likely soft because if you think about it, when those women were born, women were just starting to be allowed to compete at the level they are now. That record will indubitably get faster as the current 20-30 year-old athletes get into their Masters years.

The question of trans women suddenly dominating women's sports is slim. It's a maths question. The percentage of biologically designated men who actually can beat the fastest women is slim. The likelihood that one of them is trans is even slimmer. The likelihood that that trans woman, when undergoing hormone therapy for over a year (and here I'm also not sure if a year is enough time; I do think it makes sense to wait a bit longer), still has higher t-levels than the average cis woman is slimmer too.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.