Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - Obviously she's onto you, did you ask her out for a brunch with almond milk chai latte ?
    Jokes aside, it might be that she's sick but likes that treadmill and the others suck (very common in gyms).

RP - Ufff yeah Uber is expensive in the states, but that's on you for having the most powerful economy.
    If you had really miserable people they'd be driving Ubers for cheap.
    I agree Garmin started price gouging people but if they did it's cause there was a market of people willing to pay 2K USD on a watch like the MARQ.
    And it's not even a mechanical watch LOL.

Steve - I'd think the elevated heart rate might be an mis read. I've had issues like that with my current and previous watch where it spikes at the beginning of the run but then stabilises later. Even if you're using a chest strap, I feel like the bug is in the software.

DK - Ideally you'd work with a PT to figure out the root cause of the plantar fasciitis.
    Odds are it's due to weak arches, but there could be other reasons like really tight Achilles and calf muscles as well.
    The inserts are the equivalent of using a cane, they're not fixing the issue (This is not me speaking, I'm just relating what I heard from multiple PTs in the past).
    The recommendation I received was always to work on strength training! 😁

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

DK - Ideally you'd work with a PT to figure out the root cause of the plantar fasciitis.
      Odds are it's due to weak arches, but there could be other reasons like really tight Achilles and calf muscles as well.
      The inserts are the equivalent of using a cane, they're not fixing the issue (This is not me speaking, I'm just relating what I heard from multiple PTs in the past).
      The recommendation I received was always to work on strength training! 😁

You know Flavio, maybe I was taking the easy way out :-) You're spot on: my calf muscles are really tight... always have been, despite stretching lots and PTs have told me that in the past. And I am notoriously bad at keeping up an effective strength- training regimen. I see my relatively new PT tomorrow! I will ask him about recommendations.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

mmerkle

dktrotter That's definitely one of the better counter arguments, that the best female athletes can beat most men. But I think the worry is, what happens when those slim odds ARE met? I think Floyd Mayweather can beat most men in a boxing match who weigh more than him, but I don't see it going well against Tyson Fury. The concern is men who were already competing as a male switching to female, and the best women having to face not average men, but skilled and experienced ones. Rare as that may be, it could happen and I would argue already has.

For sure people like Phelps have an advantage, but the idea is to make sports as fair as possible. If Phelps suppressed his testosterone to compete as a woman, that wingspan is going nowhere. Imagine what a scene that would be, Phelps competing as a woman! That type of thing could theoretically happen. I just think we really need to think about those slim odds actually being met, and a women's WR going down, or a scholarship opportunity being taken (arguably more tragic IMO). It's not just a science debate, there's an ethics debate to be had too. A full blown takeover, as you said, is highly unlikely. But are women going to be ok with those occasional rarities?

Also I have tight calves all the damn time too. What helps me besides stretching is the R8 Roll Recovery. It's not fun, but seems to flatten out the tight spots lol.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

For sure people like Phelps have an advantage, but the idea is to make sports as fair as possible. If Phelps suppressed his testosterone to compete as a woman, that wingspan is going nowhere. Imagine what a scene that would be, Phelps competing as a woman! That type of thing could theoretically happen.

Biological males should compete against other biological males. If certain males decide to become females and use chemicals towards that, it's on them to have decided to make it harder to compete against their fellow males. They can be females in all aspects of their life, not in sports 😐

There's a reason why we separate males and females in sports and it does not have to do with how you feel or identify, rather the biological advantages you have. Ronda Rousey and Kayla Harrison are both stars in Judo, they can do nothing to male Judokas of similar size and skill set. Elaine Thompson would not qualify in the male 100s.

The situation below should never, ever happen, it's really a tragic incident.

absurd

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

All that IMHO of course.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - Couldn't agree more.  I thought the Leah Thomas example would be ridiculous enough to highlight it.  Maybe we need the 500th ranked male tennis player to win every women's grand slam for a year to realise men and women should compete separately.

Flo Jo ran 10.49 for 100 metres in the 80s (likely with an artificial testosterone boost).  The top 10 US high school boys in 2022 beat that time in a canter.  https://trackandfieldnews.com/2022-high-school-boys-absolute-top-10-lists/

I think perhaps a third category to handle this tricky situation is the only way to go apart from sticking with biological gender.

Dorothea - It gets much hotter than 28C here, but it's a dry heat so not as oppressive as Florida or even close.  Plus, it is quite variable - if we have a few days of 35C we'll likely get a cool change so it doesn't wear you down with day after day of oppressive heat.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

dktrotter That's definitely one of the better counter arguments, that the best female athletes can beat most men. But I think the worry is, what happens when those slim odds ARE met? I think Floyd Mayweather can beat most men in a boxing match who weigh more than him, but I don't see it going well against Tyson Fury. The concern is men who were already competing as a male switching to female, and the best women having to face not average men, but skilled and experienced ones. Rare as that may be, it could happen and I would argue already has.

There isn’t a single person on the planet who would see it going well against Tyson Fury!  

dk - I’ve had PF in both feet (not at the same time) and it’s the most frustrating injury as it just lingers on for months. I always stretch the calfs before every run and also use a massage gun on the calfs and trigger points, although I can’t say for certain if that makes much difference. Good luck with the new PT!

Flavio - That’s a very powerful image you posted and I remember at the time thinking why do the other girls agree to compete when it’s blatant cheating? My wife often asks why I get wound up about stuff that doesn’t affect me…and sadly I think that’s the attitude of most people!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

https://jaredemersonphoto.pixieset.com/11thannualleprechaunrace/finishphotos/?pid=8693053904&id=79&h=NjAyMjE3ODc

check out the impending heel strike.

This explains why I didn't get cold hands. I thought I took the gloves off for this race. The photos confirm I did NOT in fact take the gloves off for this 5k.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

need2tri

Congrats RP! Nice picture. You indeed gave the race all you got when you don't even remember what you were wearing during the race.

https://jaredemersonphoto.pixieset.com/11thannualleprechaunrace/finishphotos/?pid=8693053904&id=79&h=NjAyMjE3ODc

This explains why I didn't get cold hands. I thought I took the gloves off for this race. The photos confirm I did NOT in fact take the gloves off for this 5k.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Flavio - Couldn't agree more.  I thought the Leah Thomas example would be ridiculous enough to highlight it.  Maybe we need the 500th ranked male tennis player to win every women's grand slam for a year to realise men and women should compete separately. 

A few years back John McEnroe reckoned that Serena Williams (who is probably the greatest ever female tennis player) would be about 700 in the male world rankings. https://www.cbsnews.com/news/serena-williams-john-mcenroe-mens-tour-tennis/

Always loved watching McEnroe when I was a kid….but I think he was a bad influence on me Smile

RP - You should’ve requested a size medium top instead of small. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

You're entirely too fast to wear shorts that long.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Bless your heart.

mikkey I’ll go back to 2015 and make the change.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Have you seen what Courtney Dauwalter, 2 time winner and course record holder at UTMB, wears?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

I am pretty proud of myself; after only ever running in 9-inch shorts, I finally bought some 7-inchers a couple months ago.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Have you seen what Courtney Dauwalter, 2 time winner and course record holder at UTMB, wears?

I'm quite familiar with Courtney The Long Shorts.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4