Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Dogs - I've been bit twice, once while running. What was the first thing each owner said upon learning their precious "fur baby" bit me? "Oh, my dog would never do that."
    Really, lady? Then why is my butt cheek suddenly bleeding?!

The line I got after being bit while running was "He's never done that before!" Well now he has buddy, so you can't say that again. For me it was on the hip, broke the skin through my shirt/shorts. In general I try to give dog-walkers a wide berth. At least on the road, people almost always use a leash; on some trails, sometimes people will go without. They may be well trained, but they're dogs, you don't know what they hell they're going to do. I had a big one charge directly at me from a distance; it turned out he just wanted to play or run with me, but it had me pretty terrified for a minute.

Dave

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

I’m teaching my boy Tyson to bite Mamils. I absolutely detest cyclists.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

flavio I wouldn't advice harsh warnings for someone playing around pointing guns at people. I'm willing to strangle a dog in front of their owner and watch it die if the thing attacks me. ZFG. FAFO.

Fishy If CIM was so easy then most people would PR there at least one time...*zipper mouth emoji*

krash 17. wow. I have to remind myself not everyone is out to win the entire event, and you're just that good compared to the other participants many times. Maybe someone is out there trying to catch you or keep up with you. I know I used an "old guy" as a target for about a year in local races. Not sure I could hang with 9:00/mi for 12 hours though. I DID see someone at Jed Smith in California did a sub 3 50k. blew my mind. 5:44/mi average. I bet he lapped a LOT of people a LOT of times.

I just used annual leave to take half days and get my 10M runs in before the family gets done. This feels like one of the most "annoying things runners do" I've done in a while. "sorry honey, I can't use 12-20 hours of vacation to go somewhere. I have to train for Boston and only have 7 weeks of vacation.

I told my wife I might not buy the jacket. I saw the ones from New York and they look functional. Boston one gives me the "I'm a member and I want you to treat me extra special because of my Member's Only jacket" vibes. $120 garbage bag with three zippers.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Half Crazy K 2.0

I got the he's never done that before too. Well, there is a tooth sized mark in my thigh. My county's process for reporting was a giant pain in the ass, but I felt it was needed since this was a "service dog". I told the animal control court I didn't want anything to happen to the dog, but wanted the record that it happened.

Running Problem

Problem Child

I got the he's never done that before too. Well, there is a tooth sized mark in my thigh. My county's process for reporting was a giant pain in the ass, but I felt it was needed since this was a "service dog". I told the animal control court I didn't want anything to happen to the dog, but wanted the record that it happened.

Kill the handler, set the dog free, and call it even.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Kill the handler, set the dog free, and call it even.

Dog was being held by a little kid, which is also why the dog did not get kicked across the sidewalk. Owner said in doggie court that the grandkids will no longer hold the leash, just the adults.

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I've made some good connections when I've kicked dogs on the run who have been attacking me.  I love dogs, hate irresponsible owners.

Zane Robertson, NZ's best marathoner, has been done for doping then falsifying documents to try and avoid being caught.  F**king idiot.  This is not going down well in NZ distance running circles.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Zane Robertson, NZ's best marathoner, has been done for doping then falsifying documents to try and avoid being caught.  F**king idiot.  This is not going down well in NZ distance running circles.

I'd probably label Rod Dixon as NZ's best marathoner, but yes Zane holds the national records for the marathon and half marathon and his "death or glory" effort at Tokyo 2021 was pretty legendary (or so we thought at the time).

What makes it worse is that he's been highly critical of drug cheats in the past, and he attempted to fabricate some story that he got given EPO by accident as part of a treatment for Covid that some Kenyan hospital inadvertently applied when he actually wanted a Covid vaccination.  He got 8 years, half of which was for falsifying documents, so that's his career done.  IMO there's a reasonable case for a life ban here.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I'd probably label Rod Dixon as NZ's best marathoner, but yes Zane holds the national records for the marathon and half marathon and his "death or glory" effort at Tokyo 2021 was pretty legendary (or so we thought at the time).

What makes it worse is that he's been highly critical of drug cheats in the past, and he attempted to fabricate some story that he got given EPO by accident as part of a treatment for Covid that some Kenyan hospital inadvertently applied when he actually wanted a Covid vaccination.  He got 8 years, half of which was for falsifying documents, so that's his career done.  IMO there's a reasonable case for a life ban here.

I mean current, clearly he's not best overall.  You've got to wonder how many others are doing it and getting away with it.

2024 Races:

Marky_Mark_17

I mean current, clearly he's not best overall.  You've got to wonder how many others are doing it and getting away with it.

Zane and his twin brother were in a fairly unique situation being based in Kenya (probably being around a few suspicious types there may have been what ultimately got to him).  I don't think it's widespread in NZ because people talk and it's a small community which would make it fairly obvious if someone was doping.  There's bound to be a few cases (e.g. Liza Hunter-Galvan) and I recall some other guy who wasn't even particularly good got done for importing EPO a few years ago.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Zane and his twin brother were in a fairly unique situation being based in Kenya (probably being around a few suspicious types there may have been what ultimately got to him).  I don't think it's widespread in NZ because people talk and it's a small community which would make it fairly obvious if someone was doping.  There's bound to be a few cases (e.g. Liza Hunter-Galvan) and I recall some other guy who wasn't even particularly good got done for importing EPO a few years ago.

Yeah which gives me way more faith in sub elite than elite runners

2024 Races:

Running Problem

Problem Child

When dogs chase me I dont even slow down.  Fuck the dog owner who walks their dog off leash and thinks I’m going to change my life for them.  I’ll take that dog two miles if they want and hope the dog never finds their way home because the owner didn’t find it necessary to leash their animal. Typically it is

“oh they’ll go with you.  They would love it.”

hope they’re ready for two miles.  I’m not bringing them back.

dog gets called more frantically.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mark/Steve - I watched a video on Youtube the other day and the dude was arguing that the doping test largely depends on what they're looking for. They will never find something they're not looking for.

So suppose they're looking for high cholesterol because dunno, fat is now a performance enhancing substance, then people start taking sugar because they're not testing for glicose levels.

And once they start testing for glicose levels, then people start taking stevia or something like that.

And then the really rich people like Bolt can use custom made formulas which are prohibited substances which are just slightly adjusted so they don't get caught. So really the richer you are the easiest it is to dope.

Of course if you stay on the same gear long enough, eventually USADA figures it out and adjusts the test.

Mikkey - Do you think your boy Tyson Fury has a chance against "the predator" Francis Ngannou? Cause Francis sends people to the stratosphere for free 🚀

Also, thanks for the info re: Valencia, I was looking at their site and it seems I might have to decide quickly as they're already on the last 10K slots or so.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

When dogs chase me I dont even slow down.  Fuck the dog owner who walks their dog off leash and thinks I’m going to change my life for them.  I’ll take that dog two miles if they want and hope the dog never finds their way home because the owner didn’t find it necessary to leash their animal. Typically it is

“oh they’ll go with you.  They would love it.”

hope they’re ready for two miles.  I’m not bringing them back.

dog gets called more frantically.

Fortunately my Vizsla is timid of brand new people otherwise she would tag along with Krash for a 100-miler if she got the chance. My old Lab used to run up to 15 miles with me but was exhausted the rest of the day. My V has yet to be worn out on a run so far, no matter how long, fast, or hot. Sometimes it is a little frustrating because I cannot defeat the energetic dog.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Fishyone

Fortunately my Vizsla is timid of brand new people otherwise she would tag along with Krash for a 100-miler if she got the chance. My old Lab used to run up to 15 miles with me but was exhausted the rest of the day. My V has yet to be worn out on a run so far, no matter how long, fast, or hot. Sometimes it is a little frustrating because I cannot defeat the energetic dog.

I tried one time when I was dog-sitting a golden retriever.  10 miles in the woods @ 8:30 pace and the dog was fine....I was spent

Vizslas are amazing athletes!  you will loose every time.  Maybe Krash, RP, WC, DK or one of the other distance warriors could tire one out but I doubt it...

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015)