Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

I once had a dog start chasing me on the sidewalk; I didn’t even see an owner, it must have gotten loose. It was a little thing, but I don’t want my ankles bitten either. I just turned around and yelled “NO!” The dog stopped dead in its tracks, turned around and started running the other way.

Dave

Pain is my friend

I do the same thing or heel hook them in the chin. Growling back at them works too.

I once had a dog start chasing me on the sidewalk; I didn’t even see an owner, it must have gotten loose. It was a little thing, but I don’t want my ankles bitten either. I just turned around and yelled “NO!” The dog stopped dead in its tracks, turned around and started running the other way.

ATY 24   141.445 2019 1st

Bear 100 22:08 2021 

Jackpot 100 Feb 14:59 - 5th

St George marathon Oct 2:58

ATY 24 130.969 2022 2nd

Pulse endurance 12 hour 76.22 1ST CR

July Backyard ultra 22 yards Win

Sept Bear 100 24:08

Running Problem

Problem Child

AndyTN When I was only doing 3-5 mile runs I'd take my yorkie. He loved it and was very good off leash. He enjoyed running and didn't want to stop and smell the roses. I became faster, he became older, and eventually my running wasn't conducive to taking him. My wife liked when I'd take him because it kept him in shape and he just wanted to lounge on the couch all night.

One thing I learned about dogs during my "run every street" is in the rural areas the dogs are an alarm, and fences are to keep them in. In residential areas it seems as though they're a nuisance so owners just leave them off leash anywhere they feel it isn't necessary to use a leash, and I often want to stop and ask people "why the fuck do you even have the fucking leash when you're not even going to use the fucking thing? Just leave it at home because you look like a fucking retard out here carrying a leash you're not using as if this is some rural mountain trail. Is this your open range space because you moved here from the big city and wanted to get away, but just far enough to still live in the city? Fucking moron."

I had a good workout. I'm going to miss the energy I get from a somewhat upsetting day at work if I ever get a job. I also had some weird imagination of doing 6:30s at Boston. As if THAT nonsense is possible on race day. Also, Garmin predicts my 5k pace is 6:05 which is really nice seeing as how it also told me my "five fifty five five kay (that was fun to say) was a PR.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Do you think your boy Tyson Fury has a chance against "the predator" Francis Ngannou? Cause Francis sends people to the stratosphere for free 🚀

Also, thanks for the info re: Valencia, I was looking at their site and it seems I might have to decide quickly as they're already on the last 10K slots or so.

I read about that potential fight discussed with it being in a cage with boxing rules and Mike Tyson refereeing! I honestly don’t know much about Ngannou and would rather Tyson sorts out Usyk first so that he holds all the belts.  
          Also, when I went to registered for Valencia it was sold out, but I had the option to put my name on the waiting list…there were over 1000 people in front of me but I got a place about a month later. Maybe enter now and sell your bib if you can’t run it (assuming it’s the same set up this year)

Re dogs - There have been numerous times I’ve encountered a dog during a run and I always pause my watch and slow down and be calm with the dog and wait for the owner. Actually kicking out at a dog would be a last resort as it’s not their fault. I do shake my head at so many dog owners as screaming and shouting at them is the exact opposite of what they should be doing.

Did someone say that an elite distance runner got caught doping??? I’m shocked I tell you, SHOCKED.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

Running Problem

Problem Child

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Lord Commander, may I humbly submit this excellent argument by RP to the front page?

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Dog observation #1: I can't find it now, but several years ago a running blog that I followed related the following story over a series of posts.  a) runner is struggling with calf muscle knot.  b) runner tries foam rolling, ART, dry needing, deep tissue massage, and nothing is getting rid of the damn knot in the calf.  c) runner gets bitten by a dog right where the knot is.  d) two days later, the knot is gone.  Runner is happy.

Dog observation #2: about a year ago, we had a discussion in one of the neighborhood online forums.  A woman was strongly advocating that all runners should always cross the street and run on the opposite sidewalk when a dog is being walked, to ensure that they don't trigger the dog.  Said woman was not receptive to the many responses pointing out just how impractical this was, especially in an area where there are many runners and many dogs being walked.

Dog observation #3: I've had many more bad encounters with those retractable leashes than I have with the dogs themselves.  There seems to be a group of people who believe that if their dog is on a leash, they don't need to monitor the dog.  I'm terrified of tripping over a leash - not for what it means for me as much as for my concern that I'll severely injure the dog.

Dog observation #4:  we had a horrible freak accident around here about a month ago.  Basically, a man and his dog were on a Metro train,  The dog was on a leash attached to the man's waist.  The train doors opened, the man exited the train, and then the doors closed with the dog still on the train (the doors closed over the leash).  The train departed and the man was dragged to death.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Mikkey - Thanks again for the info, yeah, you can still submit your name to a waiting list.
                  I wanted to ask you, how was the start ? Was it too congested?
                  I've noticed they are strict with regard to accredited times for the starting corrals/boxes, so I'd assume it should be possible to hit race pace over the first mile?
                  I'm assuming using portajohns in the last hour before the race is probably impossible ?
                  Was there anything else about the race or the race course that you thought "well, I should've known that before I started" ?

CityStrides - I'm now down to the last 20 streets on my "town". The hotel nearby has finished construction and as such they've unblocked a street nearby, so I ran it today, feeling like a king after having to wait several weeks while it was blocked 😂

I've built the Garmin course today which completes the remaining streets, I'll probably execute it next week.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

re dogs: Sorry to those of you who have gotten bit and may have some PTSD because of it. Say what you want about Florida, but one benefit to living here is that it's too hot for dogs, and most people who are out and about walking their dogs have tiny little things that you could kick like a football (not that I ever would) or bigger dogs who are always leashed. I, too, give dog walkers a wide berth, though I've had that snarky conversation with a dog owner before who is looking down at their phone, and they and their dog  are taking up the whole sidewalk, so I have to yell at them to please make room. But that's a general sidewalk hog thing, not exclusively a dog owner thing. I am appalled that a dog owner says the runner should be the one to cross to the other side of the road. Why doesn't the dog owner do that? Oh yeah, because it's an inconvenience. You're the one with the dog, pal.

I've had a few close encounters on the trails in Berlin. I am generally a calm and understanding person (and an animal lover), but I get livid (not helped by the adrenaline from running) when people let their dog that isn't trained properly off a leash. In no way is it acceptable for a dog to bound towards or jump on a stranger. I've seen how people train their dogs not to do that, and it works. People need to learn that it doesn't matter if the dog is "just playing." Flavio, you make a good comparison of the dog and the gun... the threat is there and it's not fun. And even if the dog doesn't bite, a) their "attack" interferes with whatever the other person was doing. b) dogs can knock you over, c) their nails aren't exactly made of foam. I've never gotten bit, but I've been bruised and scratched before. That being said, Germans on the whole are better dog custodians than US Americans; most take the dog's training really seriously. Though it can be kind of annoying when they can't make any other plans because they have to spend 3-4 hours on the weekend training their dog. But the dog is happy, I guess.

darkwave, those are some interesting stories, though the last one is absolutely horrifying. I'd have thought the guy could undo the leash in time? And I know this isn't the point of the story, but what happened to the dog? It must have been pressed up against the door the whole time :-(

I actually had a few other tings I wanted to reply to, but that will have to wait. In the meantime, it's the night before the night before the race, and I am getting a bit anxious. My "A" goal is 6:59:00. After that it's just about finishing the race. I'd also like to visit the podium, but like I said, that's something I can't predict. It's going to be hot and humid here; the start is predicted at a 72F/72 Dew point, By 2pm, which is my goal finish time, it will be around 84 with a 71DP. I have my hydration plan, but I know I'm going to sweat a lot. Bringing a change of clothes in case I'll need the mental boost of dry clothes after the half-way point. I already posted in the Ultra group, but in case there's someone who looks here first, any last minute advice? What's something you really wish you had known beforehand?

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Lord Commander, may I humbly submit this excellent argument by RP to the front page?

Since he has now posted the pin to his bank card, all the internet thieves will now be able to wipe out his account. No more Jeep parts or running shoes for RP.

Vizslas are amazing athletes!  you will loose every time.  Maybe Krash, RP, WC, DK or one of the other distance warriors could tire one out but I doubt it...

Yes Fishy, she is. When I researched the breed, I thought I was getting an energetic running dog with hunting in her genes. Turns out I got an energetic hunting dog who can run. Every time we go on a run, she is constantly hunting every critter she sees and will sometimes cut me off and trip me.

Great job in your race by the way. Don't sell yourself short on the age group win. Lots of basketball teams made the Sweet 16 due to the fact other top teams were taken out early. They still get to make Sweet 16 shirts.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I was wondering if you all might give me some advice on how to advise my wife as she tries to get back into running. She trained for and completed her first 10k at end of 2021 and really got into Cycle Bar after that. She has been keeping up with spin classes at least 3 times per week for the past 15 months, which is great for cardio health, and now wants to get back into doing 10-15 miles per week. Her problem now is that her cardio from cycling is so much more advanced than her lower body can support. She is taking it slow but is complaining about her legs aching all the time now. I am sure she is getting a little bored jogging at such an easy effort while barely getting her heart rate above 130.

Most of the couch to 5k programs assume the beginner runner has been out of shape for a long time and her situation is different. I have told her to not go out with a plan of completing a specific number of miles but to just plan to run and walk for 30-40 minutes. My son and I are racing a 5k in a month and my wife signed up for it to tag along. I am worried she is going to push it too hard these next few weeks and get injured.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Fishyone

I actually had a few other tings I wanted to reply to, but that will have to wait. In the meantime, it's the night before the night before the race, and I am getting a bit anxious. My "A" goal is 6:59:00. After that it's just about finishing the race. I'd also like to visit the podium, but like I said, that's something I can't predict. It's going to be hot and humid here; the start is predicted at a 72F/72 Dew point, By 2pm, which is my goal finish time, it will be around 84 with a 71DP. I have my hydration plan, but I know I'm going to sweat a lot. Bringing a change of clothes in case I'll need the mental boost of dry clothes after the half-way point. I already posted in the Ultra group, but in case there's someone who looks here first, any last minute advice? What's something you really wish you had known beforehand?

Go get it DK!!  I can't imagine running that distance, let alone at that temp + DP.  You are prepared so go for it.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Dorothea - Sorry, no ultra-specific advice here, but I'm certainly willing to listen to anything anyone else suggests for my own selfish purposes.

Best of luck to you this weekend!

Andy - You wife is certainly in a bit of an odd place there.
                            I think she's just going to have to build up to tolerating the impact more, which will just take time (likely not what your wife wants to hear). I'd certainly suggest getting plenty of protein (and some collagen, specifically) to help her body build/repair the tissues needed to support her running.
                            Sub 130bpm is a nice place to be! Half of my runs are in that area.

5k: 17:58 11/22 â”‚ 10k: 37:55 9/21 â”‚ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 â”‚ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I was wondering if you all might give me some advice on how to advise my wife as she tries to get back into running. She trained for and completed her first 10k at end of 2021 and really got into Cycle Bar after that. She has been keeping up with spin classes at least 3 times per week for the past 15 months, which is great for cardio health, and now wants to get back into doing 10-15 miles per week. Her problem now is that her cardio from cycling is so much more advanced than her lower body can support. She is taking it slow but is complaining about her legs aching all the time now. I am sure she is getting a little bored jogging at such an easy effort while barely getting her heart rate above 130.

Most of the couch to 5k programs assume the beginner runner has been out of shape for a long time and her situation is different. I have told her to not go out with a plan of completing a specific number of miles but to just plan to run and walk for 30-40 minutes. My son and I are racing a 5k in a month and my wife signed up for it to tag along. I am worried she is going to push it too hard these next few weeks and get injured.

Andy - that's not too different from the situation I found myself in this winter after so many weeks only being allowed to walk while I not so patiently allowed an ankle injury to heal.  Perhaps shift more to an emphasis on increasing the time running with walk breaks and let her pace fall in where it's comfortable for her rather than trying to maintain a slow, easy pace.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                    05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

With a dew point that high you aren't going to get the evaporative cooling from sweating. Cold water and ice applied to head and neck will be helpful.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.