Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Dorothea - my advice: DNS.  Otherwise just the usual, keep it slow and keep fueled/hydrated!

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Since he has now posted the pin to his bank card, all the internet thieves will now be able to wipe out his account. No more Jeep parts or running shoes for RP.

you know....this might actually work for a PIN until someone researches me and wants the tens of dollars I have for buying $4 jell-o shots.

I wouldn't be shocked if someone changed their pin to their marathon bib number. A buddy pointed out his bib number is much higher than mine. I pointed to the guy who is sub 3,000 bib number from our same town.

I googled bib 999 person. 58 year old male. DAMN he runs fast.

advice for wife: She probably doesn't remember the starting of her cycling days when she was sore. Running is a new set of muscles. She has the aerobic base to go farther, and just has to build the physical strength. "Honey you have to start somewhere, and the top is occupied. You're ahead of the people who don't have the aerobic base who stop because their lungs are burning." Start at 10. Build to 15. Eventually the legs will catch up to the lungs and you'll be able to do 5 mile runs after a spin class which might be a good goal to work towards.

DK wow that weather sucks as much as your recent marathon. don't forget about the marathon experience.

YOU CAN NEVER START TOO SLOW. It's about finishing. Not winning. As I said on strava drink, and eat. Maybe think about the salts you're taking in. For my 50 I ate a gel at 30-40 minutes, then ate a solid at aid stations and drank soda. I never felt like I needed to urinate which is a sign of dehydration. With the TDP you're in you'll be sweating a lot so just be mindful and conscious of when you last FELT like you COULD urinate. If it turns to shit then don't be afraid to walk for a bit. I did, and gave myself a pity party, then started running because "it's just going to take longer to finish if I walk."

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP and other soft flask aficionados - How exactly do you manage to suck the air out of the flask ? I've tried but after sucking out just a bit of air it got to the water and so I started sucking water. Now it still sloshes 🤔

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP and other soft flask aficionados - How exactly do you manage to suck the air out of the flask ? I've tried but after sucking out just a bit of air it got to the water and so I started sucking water. Now it still sloshes 🤔

Are you drinking upside down? Asking for a friend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

1) Reminds me of how many people say the cure to Plantar Fasciitis is just to tear it. Have heard that almost guarantees recovery

2) Again, entitled dog owners. And this is coming from someone who has a dog who is easily triggered by a lot of stuff, especially other dogs. I would never say "hey other dog owners, when you see another dog approaching, go to the other side of the street." Forget the practicality of it. It would be like me saying "hey on July 4th, don't set off fireworks because it bothers a lot of dogs."

3) 1000% this. My favorite is when the dog owners are on their phones and the dog leash is literally blocking a path that 2 cars could fit through. Instagram and Tik Tok just can't wait!

4) I don't know who is more to blame here: the dog or the train conductor.

Dog observation #1: I can't find it now, but several years ago a running blog that I followed related the following story over a series of posts.  a) runner is struggling with calf muscle knot.  b) runner tries foam rolling, ART, dry needing, deep tissue massage, and nothing is getting rid of the damn knot in the calf.  c) runner gets bitten by a dog right where the knot is.  d) two days later, the knot is gone.  Runner is happy.

Dog observation #2: about a year ago, we had a discussion in one of the neighborhood online forums.  A woman was strongly advocating that all runners should always cross the street and run on the opposite sidewalk when a dog is being walked, to ensure that they don't trigger the dog.  Said woman was not receptive to the many responses pointing out just how impractical this was, especially in an area where there are many runners and many dogs being walked.

Dog observation #3: I've had many more bad encounters with those retractable leashes than I have with the dogs themselves.  There seems to be a group of people who believe that if their dog is on a leash, they don't need to monitor the dog.  I'm terrified of tripping over a leash - not for what it means for me as much as for my concern that I'll severely injure the dog.

Dog observation #4:  we had a horrible freak accident around here about a month ago.  Basically, a man and his dog were on a Metro train,  The dog was on a leash attached to the man's waist.  The train doors opened, the man exited the train, and then the doors closed with the dog still on the train (the doors closed over the leash).  The train departed and the man was dragged to death.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

JMac I hate the "extendo retracto" Go-Go-Gadget Leash walkers. Dog on one side of the path. Owner on the other. Runner obviously coming towards them. Leash so long they do MULTIPLE pulls trying to get the dog in, put zero effort in beyond pulling (like maybe walking to the other side to suck the leash in) on the leash, and apologizing as if they're accidently blocking the entire path with a cord about knee high that is 10 ft long.

Yeah "Don't mind me. Just running here. I'm sure your dog won't cause any problems for anyone with that 10ft leash you don't realize turns to slack when I get closer and you push the button to lock it while wrangling your dog." Third time I passed one of them on my loop (they hadn't finished 1 loop) they figured out how to keep the leash shorter.

flavio Is the cap on the bottle loose? It isn't leaking is it? The only time I've had air return to my bladder is when there was a pinhole sized hole in it. I realized this when I was on a run, it kept sloshing no matter HOW many times I'd tried to remove the air, and then started to feel my back and butt getting wet. Thankfully it was an electrolye drink on a cold day when I'd forgotten to wear layers so my run was shortened substantially.

https://raidlight.com/en/products/eazyflask-600ml

Bottle for reference.

https://raidlight.com/en/products/sac-a-dos-de-trail-homme-ultralight-3l-made-in-france

vest for reference.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Are you drinking upside down? Asking for a friend.

No, though I did try that earlier today in the 10 minutes it took me to learn how to unscrew the thing so that water would flow out 🤦‍♂️

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

Running Problem

Problem Child

Dog observation #3: I've had many more bad encounters with those retractable leashes than I have with the dogs themselves.  There seems to be a group of people who believe that if their dog is on a leash, they don't need to monitor the dog.  I'm terrified of tripping over a leash - not for what it means for me as much as for my concern that I'll severely injure the dog.

I'm considering running with a strong knife to cut these things and tell the owner "there. now it's as long as it needs to be and you can store it much easier." Cut it about 3 ft long.

I've told people I run with "your dog isn't a weapon. You need to put yourself between me and the dog to protect me from your dog." It's like telling people to wear a mask. "you're the one with the dog who could attack me. I'm not at risk of attacking you. It doesn't matter if you don't know I'm not going to attack you. I don't know you dog isn't going to attack me." Thankfully the one person I told this to the most also has a dog they DON'T keep on leash "because she hates it and she's too hard to walk on a leash." So why teach your dog anything when it's easier to just let it run free on the dirt trail you think is for hiking?

And people wonder why I support closing this "trail" so popular in town. "go walk your dog in the street. Maybe then you'll learn how to use a leash.

EDIT: In situation 4 it's the dog owner to blame. I'm guessing it wasn't his FIRST time with the dog on the train, and with a hand leash he could have released the wrist. Panic set in and the buckle wouldn't come undone. Sucks the guy had to die. Perhaps the state should make it illegal to have waist dog leashes, or some type of common sense leash law like they do with guns. How many people have to be dragged to death until they make those dangerous leashes illegal? Yes I'm half serious, and yes I'm 100% serious it is the guy's fault for using the waist leash instead of something in his hand he could let go of. You now understand why people don't like me.

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

No, though I did try that earlier today in the 10 minutes it took me to learn how to unscrew the thing so that water would flow out 🤦‍♂️

Suck out the air and take a drink, then close it with the screw thing. Perhaps when it isn't screwed close it allows air/water to flow. I THINK I do this for my bottles in my vest. I feel like I do it instinctually because of a general fear of water leaking everywhere on me. Even with the handheld.

VDOT 53.37 

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Relevant to previous discussions.

World Athletics to exclude transgender women from female events | World News | Sky News

(dumping and running because of work...)

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

need2tri

Thanks for sharing DW. Absolutely the right call given inconclusiveness of the advantages that trans women have. Women and Open category has always made sense to me until there is doing evidence otherwise.

Relevant to previous discussions.

World Athletics to exclude transgender women from female events | World News | Sky News

(dumping and running because of work...)

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Marky_Mark_17

World Athletics news release

https://worldathletics.org/news/press-releases/council-meeting-march-2023-russia-belarus-female-eligibility

RusAF was an amusing choice of acronym to use.  Also, someone was having fun with that with press release... the Russian athletic federation is back in... but due to the Ukraine war, Russian athletes are still out.

On the transgender findings... seems to be the sensible answer, but I don't see why these Working Groups take so long.  12 months?!  If they're planning on doing a whole pile of scientific analysis, maybe.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Extendable leashes - the bane of my existence!  Usually people are aware enough to listen for someone coming from behind or pull it in when they see someone but about 10% aren't.  I've had to run on roads, step into gardens or into the mud to get around these idiots.

World Athletics spent 12 months deciding that men shouldn't be allowed to compete in women's events.  Oh my.

Dorothea - That race distance and weather forecast has reinforced to me that you are insane (basing it on when you said you run at midday in Florida!).  I have no real advice because I've never done a race in those conditions or for that long.  Previous advice sounds good to me...DNS.  I suspect that isn't an option though so starting slow and drinking almost non-stop sounds like pretty good advice.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Mikkey - Thanks again for the info, yeah, you can still submit your name to a waiting list.
                                I wanted to ask you, how was the start ? Was it too congested?
                                I've noticed they are strict with regard to accredited times for the starting corrals/boxes, so I'd assume it should be possible to hit race pace over the first mile?
                                I'm assuming using portajohns in the last hour before the race is probably impossible ?
                                Was there anything else about the race or the race course that you thought "well, I should've known that before I started" ?

No it wasn’t congested at the start or at any time in the race…my first mile pace was faster than my overall pace for the race ….. and absolutely no issues re portajohns and was able to use one 10min before the race with no long queues. The no safety pins for bib was the only issue I can think of which probably sounds trivial…but I ended up wasting over an hour trying to find a shop that sold them!

dk - Good luck tomorrow. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)