Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

You can bring a clear bag with your food/hydration/stuff but it all gets thrown away in Hopkinton.  One year I was talking to a runner who was decked out in his brand new expo gear.  He had no idea he couldn't get any of it back!  I don't know if he actually ran the race or just went home with his gear.......

In 2018 they unofficially waived the clear bag requirement - people carried all sorts of stuff up to the start.

Knowing it was going to be rough in Hopkinton, and not wanting to spend too much time shopping, a friend of mine bought a wilderness survival kit.  He carried the whole thing up to the start.  It was really useful - lots of hand warmers, space blankets, snacks.  It also had a snake bite kit.

Thus, my strongest memory of Boston 2018 is my friend Larry offering a snake bite kit to everyone passing by our corner of a tent in Hopkinton.  Surprisingly (or maybe not), nobody could find a use for it, so we left it under the tent when we walked over to the start.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

In 2019, I wore throwaway shoes for the athlete's village mud pit, but could not fit my race shoes in my designated clear bag along with the other stuff. So I had them in a separate plastic grocery bag which was not clear. I brought it on the bus and no one cared. The winner on footwear was someone I saw wearing throwaway plastic rain boots.

Dave

It's CIM's egotistical older sibling.  The hotel stay costs a lot more and CIM weather is generally a pretty good bet.

I don't even view the two races in the same family at all. One's for having a great race, the other's for having a life experience and oh btw running a marathon too.

In addition to Boston hotel prices being redonculous, from the west coast you can't make the trip at all without paying for 3 nights.

Dave

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

My logistics at Boston were very simple.  For one thing, the race started at noon back then and I lived in CT.  I drove up with my training partners and we were dropped off in Hopkinton.  Our driver met us after the finish in downtown Boston at the Prudential Center where the race finished at the time.  Hancock didn't pick up the sponsorship until the mid-80s.  We ran the race, had our post race Irish stew, then drove home.  No need for hotels, shuttle bus, drop bags (didn't even know what those were back then).  Also no elite start, no wave starts, no chip timing, no splits, and no aid stations.  And official women runners only in 1972.  No packet pick-up, just get your bib at the HS gym race day morning (bring your own safety pins in case they run out), and no runner's expo.  You all have no idea what you missed out on.  BTW you could enter as late as two weeks before the race just so long as your entry was postmarked by that day.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Fishyone

Have you run NYCM?

No, and I'm debating whether I want to.  I think you captured it very well in your description.  I don't run Boston for the actual running part if that makes sense.  It is definitely about being part of something larger than your individual race.

I'm very skeptical about my chances to run even close to what I'm capable on race day.  with a 3:20 qualifier (I forgot to update after philly) I will be passing thousands of runners just to try to maintain my goal pace.  That said, it is an amazing experience and I wouldn't trade any of my Bostons for anything in the world!!

RP- As I'm sure you can recognize many of the "restrictions" that are put in place after tragedies do almost nothing to prevent future events....they are enacted to make people "feel" safer.  Shit that's why we take our shoes off at airports and wear stupid face coverings.  Unfortunately it takes far too long to rescind these measures and often we're stuck with them in perpetuity  END OF RANT

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Fishyone

In 2018 they unofficially waived the clear bag requirement - people carried all sorts of stuff up to the start.

Knowing it was going to be rough in Hopkinton, and not wanting to spend too much time shopping, a friend of mine bought a wilderness survival kit.  He carried the whole thing up to the start.  It was really useful - lots of hand warmers, space blankets, snacks.  It also had a snake bite kit.

Thus, my strongest memory of Boston 2018 is my friend Larry offering a snake bite kit to everyone passing by our corner of a tent in Hopkinton.  Surprisingly (or maybe not), nobody could find a use for it, so we left it under the tent when we walked over to the start.

Snake venom, Hmm I never thought of trying that  Maybe that's why you're so fast!

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

No, and I'm debating whether I want to.  

This is where I am on NYCM. I think it will be a great experience, because it’s NYC and it’s just such a major event. But UGH what an enormous hassle, even more so than Boston. Once I was able to time-qualify a few years ago, I thought about it every year but just never pulled the trigger. Probably someday.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

*removes rechargeable hand warmers from Amazon cart*

a snake bit kit you say? Would some large black trash bags and duct tape be appropriate or awkward? Asking for a friend.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

My logistics at Boston were very simple.  For one thing, the race started at noon back then and I lived in CT.  I drove up with my training partners and we were dropped off in Hopkinton.  Our driver met us after the finish in downtown Boston at the Prudential Center where the race finished at the time.  Hancock didn't pick up the sponsorship until the mid-80s.  We ran the race, had our post race Irish stew, then drove home.  No need for hotels, shuttle bus, drop bags (didn't even know what those were back then).  Also no elite start, no wave starts, no chip timing, no splits, and no aid stations.  And official women runners only in 1972.  No packet pick-up, just get your bib at the HS gym race day morning (bring your own safety pins in case they run out), and no runner's expo.  You all have no idea what you missed out on.  BTW you could enter as late as two weeks before the race just so long as your entry was postmarked by that day.

I wish I coudl read this stuff on days like today.  Such simple logistics. “Go run with your friends for a few hours then go home.”

did they offer participant medals that year or just top 3?

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

I wish I coudl read this stuff on days like today.  Such simple logistics. “Go run with your friends for a few hours then go home.”

did they offer participant medals that year or just top 3?

No participant medals.  It was years before any race began to give out those. Not even a t-shirt, much less jackets for sale.  I didn't get my first race t-shirt until 2 years later in my 10th marathon. That was also my first marathon which had aid stations, water, ice, and sponges only, no GUs or sports drinks.  The good old days could be rather primitive.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

No, that one's for celebrities and 5/6-hour bucket-listers. Boston's still unique in being restricted to time-qualifiers (other than charity runners).

And international runners who have to qualify for it!  For me I’d need to run a sub3:23 at NYC whereas with Boston I’d only need a sub3:35.

I found NYCM a very pleasant experience, no problem getting a subway to the ferry (stayed in Chelsea iirc) and the ferry to Staten Island was a bit of a novelty, plus the village was great and luckily it was a sunny day. London Marathon is more of a pain…but that’s probably because I commute from Brighton on the morning of the race!

Fishy - That made me laugh, I’d have carried my new gear in a rucksack and accept a slower time!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

RP- As I'm sure you can recognize many of the "restrictions" that are put in place after tragedies do almost nothing to prevent future events....they are enacted to make people "feel" safer.  Shit that's why we take our shoes off at airports and wear stupid face coverings.  Unfortunately it takes far too long to rescind these measures and often we're stuck with them in perpetuity  END OF RANT

So much this! Thankfully it's mostly just the US that requires taking shoes off.

Also thank you all for the stories about New York and Boston marathons, it just added reasons why I don't want to run either of them 😁

Steve/Keen/Piwi - I know you are proud of your Strava art. Steve is always out there drawing a nice little house. Keen is drawing large rectangles, and Piwi is out there drawing hearts for his living wife ❤️

However, you have been outdone this time - largest-strava-art-on-record-set-by-french-velociraptor

DK - I have not yet made my mind. As much as I'd love to have a face melting jet at hand for defense, it's not a practical idea until I find a safe delivery mechanism, and also because it could blow back on me. I'm doing some more research, and an internet blogger suggested a Citronela spray, which is apparently as efficient as a pepper spray, but won't have as many issues if it blows back on me, gets in my hands (and then to my eyes). I'm not sure of the legality of that, so more research is needed.

Jmac's Pet Corrector led me to consider just a simple very loud whistle, though I suppose anything that messes up with the dog's ability to smell should be useful.

Even though I really have zero care about the health of dogs, as I find the integrity of my legs more important, there does not seem to be any practical alternative other than loud noises, growling back, saying No in a decisive manner with the deepest voice I can muster, and never turn my back to the animals.

More importantly though, the fact that I never interact with friendly dogs means the only times I see a dog, I see a threat, and that's clouding my judgement quite a bit.

me - I have tested the Altra Lone Peaks today for a T workout. They suck at that pace (as compared to the Escalantes). I'm almost set to wear the Altra Escalantes for my race now, even if I may lose a few seconds here and there on the muddy parts. I feel that the muddy parts where the LonePeaks excel are very short and the Escalantes will do way better on tarmac which is most of the race.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

One year I was talking to a runner who was decked out in his brand new expo gear.  He had no idea he couldn't get any of it back!  I don't know if he actually ran the race or just went home with his gear.......

LOL. Even if I’m dumb enough to not read the rules in advance, I assume anything in a drop bag has a good chance of getting lost or stolen. Drop bag gear is only a slight step above throwaway gear.

Dave

And international runners who have to qualify for it!  For me I’d need to run a sub3:23 at NYC whereas with Boston I’d only need a sub3:35.

I found NYCM a very pleasant experience, no problem getting a subway to the ferry (stayed in Chelsea iirc) and the ferry to Staten Island was a bit of a novelty, plus the village was great and luckily it was a sunny day. London Marathon is more of a pain…but that’s probably because I commute from Brighton on the morning of the race!

Yeah I have the same Q time requirements for the two, you are correct NYCM times are always tougher. Although you can qualify with a half which is much easier—you only need at 1:36. But time qualifiers only take up a portion of the entries, most are via lottery (or via running NYRR events).. Are international runners not allowed to enter the lottery?

One thing is for sure, of the big three US races, Chicago wins hands-down for logistics. So many hotels within walking distance from the start/finish. And the race starts at a normal civilized time, so even if it’s a warm day you can beat the worst of it.

Dave

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

Flavio - That raptor is an impressive feat, but seems cheating a bit to have used multiple people.

Lone Peaks for speed work? Sounds like a disaster. The newer Outroad (may be on sale in your area) is kind of a hybrid light trail/road shoe which would probably work pretty well for your race. I really liked them when I tried them out, they're in consideration for my upcoming race. I'd up a half size from what you wear in the Escalante if you want to try them out.

Boston - First off, when did saying something like "Botswana" fall out of favor?
                                Part of the draw for this race was the difficulty of getting in with the time standards. That kinda faded once it became less than a considerable challenge, which is one reason why NYC is more interesting to me now. Pay no mind to the fact that I'm planning on punching my ticket to that race sometime this spring using the much easier HM time...

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4