Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

RP - Yes, sandbagged. I stand by it. It wasn't intentional, but there are no all-out 5ks that result in such large PRs without also feeling like your legs and/or lungs are on fire

ETA: DW is a librarian and today the library got a donation they (for whatever reason) can't/won't use. A nearly pristine copy of the 4th edition of Lore of Running. I now have something else on my list of books to read.

My Marathon PR didn't even feel like I was trying and it's all because the magic of CIM. Perhaps some luck of the irish gave me the ability to run the best I could without over doing it? Maybe my mind blocked it out.

JMac fuck man....that sucks. In other news...if you have paid for CIM and want to transfer it I might be interested in it a few months from now. The moose mug can wait. Get healed up, go focus on being a great dad and husband, and just come back stronger. I've not had to come back from injury so I don't truly know the suck. All I know is you're better to not force it and put all your energy into healing than running through injury to delay the impending doom.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

For mmerkle, I think the tough thing with any papce adjustment is that it's not just the wind you need to account for. Best case, it's 60, riany and windy. Worst case, it is 70+, sunny, humid & windy. Either way, its going to be warmer than ideal and warmer than it's been recently.

this is worse, to me, than the 20 mph winds. The wind might make this feel more enjoyable, but 70s and marathon are "fucking bullshit" and DK just did an ultra in it.

dk Ive been meaning to say it sounds like you had the full fill of ultra experience. Forgetting things like spare watches, sun screen, packing gels is part of the game, and you'll always remember "that time I forgot my gels so now I always check" races. Perhaps listening to the body with the dead watch was a blessing in disguise. Sometimes letting go and running what you can instead of what you want helps more than it hurts.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Marky_Mark_17

Cold is improving and should hopefully be gone by the weekend.

Weather forecast for Sun morning is looking crap (16C / 61F) and 95-100% humidity.  Sat/Sun look like the worst couple of days in the last 3-4 weeks, just the luck of the draw with autumn I guess.

VF3's arrived yesterday.  But, if the weather forecast stays this way, I'll just stick with the Next%'s I think, as it's not gonna be a fast day.

MMerkle - I agree with RP re headwinds.  You can't fight them too hard as they'll just suck your will to live.  Wind is always a net negative, but how negative depends on how you race it.  Ironically looks like we've got similar conditions (apart from the wind lol).

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

JMac I'm very sorry to hear that. When I had my achilles issue (before I joined this thread), I just crossed trained a lot and tried to remain patient. I wish I had better advice but achilles issues can be tough. I would see a PT for sure, I think that's the right move. Hang in there, I think you should have plenty of good races left in you, it's just been really tough lately I can tell.

Thanks for the wind advice, I appreciate it. All of my windy races have been short distances so far to my memory. So this will be new. I'll keep in mind to NOT fight the wind, take advantage when it's not in my face, and see if anyone is friendly enough to share the burden. As far as goals and future races are concerned, I'm pretty much

Break 3 and watch the clock hit 3 while I sip (CHUG!) my beer

A PR, that is, sub 3:03:21 to keep the PR streak going

Die with honor, and spend my afterlife in the Waltons thread apparently lol.

I don't want to find another marathon, I plan to get back into short distance shape so I can do the summer race series I did last year. Thanks for that pointer however Half Crazy K.

Mark I forgot you have another HM this weekend. Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Hope your weather isn't too bad.

Running Problem

Problem Child

beat Lance in a marathon ….yeah that would have been cool. 

https://cameronhanes.com/blogs/general/boston-bowhunting-lance

re: celebrity marathoners - here's a good list, not necessarily celebrities but people from various fields who have run marathons. You can sort by any column to see who the fast ones were. Alan Turing ran a 2:46!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-professional_marathon_runners

I ran the Grand Rapids Marathon, and the pace groups were based on celebrity finish times.

https://www.grandrapidsmarathon.com/information/pace-teams/

VDOT 53.37 

Running Problem

Problem Child

I see Jill Biden ran a 4:30 in 1998 at Marine Corps!  I bet she cheated. 

Savage

VDOT 53.37 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

A couple races to add to the calendar

wcrunner2          April 15       Alexander County 12-Hour        40 miles       Fell short last year in all my 12-hour races

wcrunner2          May 13        Dawn to Dusk to Dawn 50K      sub-7:25       Best time last year was 7:27:40

Note both races are on 400m tracks.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                      05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks. You said shockwave was the only thing that cured it, right? Not that I'm going down that route now but this plantar/Achilles issue is the only chronic injury I've had. It first popped up in late 2020 and never has truly gone away. It's like a dormant volcano, always waiting to erupt. All of my other injuries are usually healed within a few months at worst.

I first injured my foot in late 2011 (posterior tibial tendonitis) and it’s never been the same since! It’s really been a case of managing it the best you can and accept that it’s going to cause a bit of discomfort every training cycle. It’s only when I’ve had PF as well that it becomes impossible to run. Shockwave is worth looking at but if you don’t see any improvement after 3 sessions then I wouldn’t pursue it.

At least we have golf to fall back on which is a proper sport. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

JMac - really sorry to hear this. It’s probably not the right time, but it would be interesting to explore what you could do differently in the future. I was so injury prone a few years ago but a series of changes have meant now I’m just sickness prone…(touch wood).

Mark - great to hear you’re improving. A mate of mine is going for a PR at waterfront, that weather won’t help although he’s one guy whose performance is pretty consistent in all conditions.

me - I’m still not great - I probably haven’t gotten worse but the recovery has no doubt been delayed by moving. Yesterday was in and out of freezing rain and sleet doing a lot of work when I probably should have been in bed.  Not an option though. Our new place has a view of the mountains and they have snow on them in March which is a bit crazy. My coach called today when he saw my missed workout on Training Peaks. This week will have another rest day and some light jogging in the hope I can get to the start line. I did 6:00/km today and my HR was in the 160s so racing feels like a dream. Hopefully if I start sleeping a bit better (too blocked up to get much more than 4 hours) things might change quickly.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

JMac11

RIP Milkman

At least we have golf to fall back on which is a proper sport. 

Thanks on the shockwave. Also - any other PTT tips you have are great. I had it 4-5 years ago but don't fully remember what I did to heal it so quickly (I think it was some ankle exercises?) And it's funny you say that - one of the first things I did when I decided it was time to shut things down was to text my golfing buddies and say I'm going to be around for more golf in April. My friend said it was the greatest news he's heard that I'm finally done with this "silly running."

Steve - the thing that frustrates me this time around is that I actually was proactive: my achilles/plantar issues were not that bad, but I said "I should get this fixed before I start a 5K block." So I went to PT, did the exerices, etc. It didn't stop this injury from happening a couple months later. I think it goes into something that is true in many parts of our lives: there's only so much you can control, and some of it is just pure genetics. We've pointed out the robots in here (looking at you Keen) who do no strengthening and never get injured. I may be the opposite side of the spectrum, which is doing a lot of prehab work and it not fully preventing. I'm obviously not comparing myself to a Pro athlete, but how many athletes do we know who just had injury riddled careers even though they had the best care in the world? At some point, it's just shitty genetic luck. But if you have any other tips, always willing to listen.

At the end of the day, I'm very happy I've been healthy enough to run the times I have. If I don't get the MM, so be it: I'm still very proud of my 2:36 and will happily die with that being my PR. There are so many folks on this forum who feel like they never got their potential at that distance for various reasons. I am totally fine with the times I've run and never felt like there was something left unaccomplished.

Anyway that's a preview of my true retirement speech, but I'm not there yet!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

JMac - Damn, sorry to hear that. Heal up, we want you to grab that moose mug even if it doesn't happen this year (but we obviously want it to happen this year). Also, I reject your retirement speech preview! I'll tolerate none of that nonsense yet.

RP - Lucky you! My marathon PR (the one that's two seconds faster than yours) hurt incredibly. The only reason I didn't stop at mile 24 was that I knew it would only end up making it hurt for longer.

Mark - Glad you're feeling better and I hope the forecast improves.

Merkle - I chuckled at "C".

wcrunner2 - I updated the board for you.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Die with honor, and spend my afterlife in the Waltons thread apparently lol.

The committee that determines this may give you a pass given wind conditions on Saturday.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

The committee that determines this may give you a pass given wind conditions on Saturday.

Retirement has made you soft.

VDOT 53.37 

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Keen - That's an interesting shoe, shame I just bought the Lone Peaks.
                              I suppose the lone peaks will now be my long run/rainy day shoes.

RP - From what I could see on the trail section of the course, there aren't that many opportunities of slipping on mud. There are a few very short sections (think 5-10m) with slippery stone though.

Jmac - I mean, ultimately it's your decision of where you're gonna spend your precious time on this Earth.
                              That said, you're still far, very far from trying everything possible to reach that moose mug.

You're still so young, it's likely in the past you got away with just being young, now as you start to approach 40, you will enter the "age of discovery" where you discover a new symptom after every few months 😂 so maybe you're just adjusting to this old man life.

Obviously it depends on whether you'd like to try these things or not:
                              1 - Work with another PT, there's a good listing of them on the vdoto2.com page, just filter by keyword Phisiotherapist and look for the ones in your area.
                              2 - Strength training WITH A COACH, IN PERSON. If they hold a degree in PT even better. 
                              3 - Hire a running coach (Just check the immense progress that people like Steve, myself, Keen got from hiring a coach). They're just that rational observer that will keep you from running yourself into the ground. You will run just enough, train smarter, not harder.
                              4 - Stop running those insane workouts from JD for the shorter distances. Maybe try something more sane like the Hanson's template of 12x400, 8x600, 6x800, always only 3 miles in volume and at 5K pace, not 3k pace like that sadistic JD makes you do.
                              5 - Repeat the training block that took you to 2h36. I remember last year you thought going to 90 miles per week was the key, but maybe not, maybe you need to just sit back and just repeat that block that took you to 2h36, with more consistency, less fatigue. You have extraordinary ability on the marathon, it's not out of the ordinary that you could find more improvement at that same level of training.

I could write more, but I'll leave it as is for now.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

DK - Yes, Vizslas are fun and sweet dogs but I always tell people "they are not apartment dogs". They need to be able to get outside and run out the zoomies multiple times per day. We have a big backyard with lots of squirrels to chase but that still is not enough to get the energy out on days I don't run her 6+ miles.

As for FAU, I went to college at Tennessee so I was not happy with all the FAU three pointers in the 2nd half. Cool that they made it to the final four but I'm still sour about Tennessee ending their season that way.

Also thank you all for the stories about New York and Boston marathons, it just added reasons why I don't want to run either of them 😁

Even though I really have zero care about the health of dogs, as I find the integrity of my legs more important, there does not seem to be any practical alternative other than loud noises, growling back, saying No in a decisive manner with the deepest voice I can muster, and never turn my back to the animals. 

Flavio - while my fitness level is not yet up to be able to run NYC or Boston, what I have heard about all the logistical effort on top of racing 26.2 miles deters me from these big races. The annual marathon in Memphis starts about 200m from my office for work so morning of the race, I am just hanging out in my office doing all my warmup stretching and bathroom breaks inside (with heat). My car was parked close by and I left all my stuff, like a $250 massage gun, secured in my office. 15 minutes before the race, I just head downstairs for a short walk to my start corral. You cannot beat that setup for an event with 20k runners.

I also don't have any good recommendations for your personal protection while running because my choices would not be allowed in PT. Whenever I am running in the dark around my neighborhood, I always carry a tactical knife with a 5-inch blade in my waistband. Occasionally when I am doing a really long run outside my neighborhood, I will put my compact 9mm in the front pocket of my running pack. I also carry the handgun when I run on the Appalachian Trail because I run across very few people out there and the sound of a few gun shots will carry a lot further than any whistle. There are also bears on the AT which I don't want to try to defend against a bear with a small knife.

re: celebrity marathoners - here's a good list, not necessarily celebrities but people from various fields who have run marathons. You can sort by any column to see who the fast ones were. Alan Turing ran a 2:46!

Seeing Michael Dukakis, Harry Reid, and Clarence Thomas on that list with faster marathon times than me and before I was even born gives me some extra incentive to keep trying to improve my time. I guess all those guys were young once but they were always dinosaurs from my perspective.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10