Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 572 times)

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Die with honor, and spend my afterlife in the Waltons thread apparently lol.

This should be enough incentive for you to not mess up!

Luckily I’ve been barred from posting on the Waltons thread so I never need to worry about that. 

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Ramadan and running - I am certainly not going to criticize someone else's religion but a kid on our Track/XC team showed up yesterday to practice with no water. I had a spare bottle and offered it to him but he said he couldn't because he was fasting and couldn't drink until 7 pm. This means an out of shape 9-year-old kid was sent to run ~3 miles at practice after school on a warm sunny day when he had not eaten or drank fluids since 7 am that morning. He was in good spirits about it and wasn't complaining but I didn't know what to say to him other than to take it easy. So when we have our track meets for 4 hours every Saturday, this kid is expected to not eat or drink at all while competing in multiple events???

Wife's running - we came up with a plan together where she is only allowed to run for 5 minutes before a mandatory 2 minute walk break. She can run faster than easy if she is feeling good but the mandatory walk breaks will be like a circuit breaker with making sure she doesn't push too hard. She also still won't let me run with her because she thinks I will criticize her too much (like slow down reminders) but I'm not going to fight that one if she is putting in the effort.

I also bought her a Garmin Lily watch for her birthday and she loves it. She would never wear her Forerunner 45 if she wasn't running/cycling because it looks too sporty. She is a very prissy girl who wears dresses almost every day and this watch looks very elegant to go with her style of clothing. It is also very small with a very thin band. She just has to get used to the touch screen as this doesn't have physical buttons.

JMac - Tough news about your injuries but don't get too negative. As you said after your rough race at NYC, you have put in so much work other the years to not continue working hard toward goals. I don't have any injury advice but I would recommend to anyone on this thread to search for ways to use your running ability and knowledge for purposes of helping other people with the sport. I'm not saying you don't help others now but I am pointing this out because of how satisfying it has been for me to get involved with and now officially coaching my son's XC/Track team. I of course get good bonding time with my son but there are 40 other kids on the team which I get to help and get to know my son's friends. During yesterday's practice, I went from racing the fastest kids on the team to push them when they were tired to later jogging with a slow kid who got left behind the group and I helped him not quit on completing his miles. The head coach gave me a team shirt yesterday which had "COACH" in big letters on the back. I saw that as a trophy of sorts for how much I have helped out so far and my son was really proud of me too.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Marky_Mark_17

Obviously jinxed myself with that post yesterday... this cold seems to have other ideas.  I'm contemplating a DNS on Sunday, but I'll see how I feel tomorrow.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Now 19 mph ! mostly from the south and a little west. So that means I'll be eating shit on miles 3-6 which will be a dead on head wind, and most of 11-17, where 11-12 is dead on head wind and the rest at an angle but still bad. It will be at my back the last 5k, which is cool I guess but not nearly enough to negate headwind miles. Should I back off during the head winds and press a little for 6-11, and 18 onward? Or steady effort throughout and try my best to "blast" the last 8k-10k?

The wind blowing in your face and even to the side is obviously going to slow you down compared to no wind but I think it is more of a mental challenge than physical. The head wind will slow you down but can't do anything about consistent effort but if the wind starts to crush you mentally, your brain is going to cause you to lose focus on the effort. SO just like you said to me before my Half, it is a race and make sure you are racing the other people instead of the watch. When you get into the headwind for a few miles, put your focus on passing someone nearby to be the better runner in the wind, regardless of your pace. Don't let the wind get into your head or it will have already defeated you.

Maybe you can find a big 300-lb fat guy to draft but unlikely you will find someone that big running at sub-3 pace...

I think someone hacked Mikkey's RA account and is posting encouraging comments without his knowledge. Mikkey has a point that you can't rate pass/fail on the sub-3 number if you have a major challenge like these conditions. Run a good race and say to yourself after "I was able to get XX:XX time even with those conditions fighting against me"

Not running a sub3 doesn’t mean it’s a failure if you give it your best shot and race smart. 

Memphis / 38 male

Running Problem

Problem Child

andyTN Good job on getting her a nice watch. If you’re super over protective you’ll link her watch to your account so you can actually see her walking breaks. Lol.

also, not sure if you ever knows the other member here from Tennessee.  He said wearing orange would make me run faster and so far I haven’t been able to prove him wrong.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Running Problem

Problem Child

I could have trained for the mmerkle’s marathon today…

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNVRENO1172?cm_ven=localwx_pwsdash

check the wind speed for 30 March 2023 after noon. It would have been a headwind to the turn around.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Ramadan and running - I am certainly not going to criticize someone else's religion but a kid on our Track/XC team showed up yesterday to practice with no water. I had a spare bottle and offered it to him but he said he couldn't because he was fasting and couldn't drink until 7 pm. This means an out of shape 9-year-old kid was sent to run ~3 miles at practice after school on a warm sunny day when he had not eaten or drank fluids since 7 am that morning. He was in good spirits about it and wasn't complaining but I didn't know what to say to him other than to take it easy. So when we have our track meets for 4 hours every Saturday, this kid is expected to not eat or drink at all while competing in multiple events???

I would call that child abuse…but I’m just an oldie who doesn’t believe in religious fairy tales. ðŸĪ·‍♂ïļ

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

Andy - holy Moly, you must go around some dodgy neighbourhoods.
                  That Memphis marathon seems like it's custom made for you 😎

Jmac - I remember you said "we always blame the glutes, but it's not always the case". I was thinking about that today after the strength training session which hit the hip flexors HARD, about just how weak I am at the hip flexors.

Also, I assume your mid life crisis is finished by now (if not, an açaí bowl is excellent 🍚), if you're looking for a coach recommendation I have one that is excellent and not expensive.

Mark/Steve - Hang in there guys!

Steve - I also went from injury ridden, to becoming sick often. Thankfully after I learned about the nasal jet, the frequency of the sickness bouts was reduced. My theory is that if you're injury ridden you don't get to train at an intensity that is enough to make you sick LOL

Anyway, it all seems like a big puzzle that you try to solve with potential life long consequences, and a lot of times a solution to a problem is as simple as using a nasal jet twice a day. Other times it's not as simple and it might take years until you figure it out.

me - I feel like I've been around you folks for too long. I'm considering running a half marathon with little to no taper during marathon training, crazy I know ðŸĪŠ

Also, yesterday I checked the weather forecast and it's shitty as expected for a race starting 10:30am with Kiwi Index of 115 (66/49).

I might have to scratch any sort of time goal for this race.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: no idea

Tool to generate Strava weekly

dktrotter

Dorothea

Also, yesterday I checked the weather forecast and it's shitty as expected for a race starting 10:30am with Kiwi Index of 115 (66/49).

I might have to scratch any sort of time goal for this race.

THIS IS NOT SHITTY WEATHER, Flavio. Keep a time goal. You barely have to do any pace adjustment :-p

ETA: sorry about the all caps. But I've seen shit weather, and this ain't it. I would kill for that dewpoint and sub-70 degree weather. Maybe it's relative, but still, Flavio, these conditions are fine.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

JMac11

RIP Milkman

THIS IS NOT SHITTY WEATHER, Flavio. Keep a time goal. You barely have to do any pace adjustment :-p

ETA: sorry about the all caps. But I've seen shit weather, and this ain't it. I would kill for that dewpoint and sub-70 degree weather. Maybe it's relative, but still, Flavio, these conditions are fine.

+1. 65 and 50 dew point is not scratching "any sort of time goal." Don't apologize, this is what competitive jerks is all about. I'd say maybe 15-30 seconds on total race time.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Thanks for all the comments on injuries. My current PT thinks a lot of it is stemming from my back given how weird all of my symptoms are. I buy it, but I'm going to keep up with more traditional Achilles/PTT treatment as well. But for now, still no running for a minimum week total.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

Running Problem

Problem Child

Flavio everyone is getting shitty weather. deal with it. I say this admitting I avoided hills and headwinds yesterday to test out my stomach.

Yesterday's run feels like a success, or at least a step in the right direction. No energy drink, no lunch and 3 Maurten caffeinated gels went better than eating at 11pm. The stomach hurt, but maybe because I didn't have water or 300mg was too much caffeine, OR eating at 10am would have been good since the run was at 1pm. I went with full race gear. 4-5 gels on me, Vaporfly shoes, wonderful temps of 45F and a 6 mph wind from the "headwind' direction for a mix of East and West running. Running pace seemed harder to control with the vaporflys. Almost as if I had a much more fine/precise control over things and the whole time I've been training it's been a course adjustment knob. Around mile 6 of the workout I started to feel myself landing more midfoot than on the balls so I corrected it, and let the shoes do the work. The stomach pains weren't "non-existent" however they were just different. I didn't want to vomit, I didn't want to poop, I had sticky spit from 3 gels (40 minute intervals) and stayed in my window of 6:35-45/mi pace (+/- 5 seconds) for the whole run. I did feel a big surge after eating my second gel and dialed it back.

I've considered doing the final 10M workout on the local marathon course. It involves more hills and would possibly be a good race day simulator because it's mostly flat/downhill out until you get to the hills, and you go over them then come back. Part of me wants to do it for a confidence/feel good run. Part of me is afraid I'll ruin myself mentally and get scared when I hit mile 17.

Either way....I think I'm targeting a 6:40/mi paced marathon until I get TO the hills with a goal of a strong finish.

A goal: PR. Something in the 2:54-5 range would be very nice.

B Goal: NYC qualifier. Sub 2:58.

C goal: enjoy it because the day is ruined and I'm going through ANOTHER marathon training cycle or will be needing advice on upcoming races to max my credit cards for to get the spring NYC qualifier in.

EDIT: I just checked...6:38/mi (approx 4:07/km) is a 2:53:55 marathon. 2:54 is the NYC qualification time for a 34-39 male. I'd said originally to myself the A goal would be the age group qualifier for an NYC marathon and NOT take the bonus time for aging up (I'll be 40 in 2024 according to math). shit.....Marathon Scott needs some good weather.

VDOT 53.37 

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

I'm going to try to get in a run before this shit hits this evening and they are starting to close the schools early to get everyone home. In my 14 years living in Memphis, I don't ever remember the Storm Prediction Center issuing a 5 out of 5 for their severe weather scale. The wind is currently blowing yellow clouds of pollen past my window. I know Keen is looking forward to this excitement the next couple months.

Memphis / 38 male

Marky_Mark_17

Flavio - that'll definitely have a small time impact but it's by no means terrible, as the humidity is not that bad.

Mmerkle - agree with Andy's comment about wind creating a mental challenge. You've kind of got to try and stop that messing with your head as much as anything.

I'll probably race tomorrow, but may just tempo it and not go full noise.  The conditions aren't looking ideal and I'm not entirely clear of this cold, but it's a good chance for a tempo effort before Southern Lakes next month.  I've probably scratched my sub-1:14 goal due to weather and not feeling 100% regardless.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Maraetai HM, 10 Mar, DNF

Up next: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Flavio - I agree with the others that that doesn't sound too bad, although I'd prefer cooler too.  The high sun will make that feel quite a bit warmer too.  For me I'd probably struggle to hit a PR type goal too, but you could still have a good race.

It seems I'm worse off since NZ made the idiotic decision to close the country for 2 years.  First it was Shingles (post-vaccine), then Covid then pretty regular colds.  I can't know for sure that it's because the floodgates are now open and our immunity is down, but I want to rant anyway.  I'm pretty p!ssed off.  I'm not improving yet and can't see how I'll even do a fast half.  But sometimes improvement is very fast, and I've never been in as good a shape as I am now.

Mark - Feel free to rant too, that may help.

JMac - I probably can't add to what the others have said except +1 to the coach and maybe ditching Jack Daniels.  I appreciate that you're really pushing for big goals but a coach may help you back off a touch and get to the start line.  It may not even cost you anything on race day with the extra freshness.

RP - Big goals...there was a Running Rogue podcast in the last few weeks about how to approach Boston.  Essentially they said not to set specific goals especially for your first time.  It also sounds like it's easy to get carried away with the early downhills although the congestion helps slow you down.  I say enjoy the experience and anything else is a bonus.  The nature of the course just sounds like you're setting yourself up for disappointment if you try to match what you've done on a slightly easier course.  Spoken as someone who has never done it...

Andy - Yuck.  It's hard to know if things are getting worse because of how much people love hysteria these days.  2 years ago we had our "First Purple Rain warning in history...everybody panic!"  Later in the story was the footnote "the purple rating has been in effect for less than a year".

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024