Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Running Problem

Problem Child

steve yeah everything says boston is hard because the hills are at mile 17 and its downhill and flat until you get there. I keep going through this in my head and remind myself the goal is a NYC qualifier and, as I've said in training, to get to mile 21 I have to get to mile 17 first, and to get to mile 17 I have to get to mile 2.

Flavio just go run hard. You never know what could happen on race day.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Good advice Andy and Mark. I'm no longer as "worried" about the wind, but am now slightly worried about the race not starting. The director said it most likely will run, but they are worried about lighting. Final call is at 6:20 am. They're floating around the idea of delayed start if necessary, and also if necessary re routing the full runners to the half course. I want none of that. I'm ready for a fight. And Good luck Mark !!!

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Merkle and Flavio - good luck!  (Marky_mark- I wish you good luck if you end up racing).

As for me, I've got the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler on Sunday.  Would like to break 71:19 as that earns me a mug (for running faster than the first female winner of the race).  Would also like to break 70 just because.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Merkle - two last minute things to be aware of with Salisbury, in case you didn't know (based on when I ran the half in 2021)

1) right at the beginning of the race, there will be a very short section on grass - a bit less than 100m, as I recall. Just know it's there so that you won't be surprised.

2) the final 150m or so of the race is a fairly steep uphill - again, just know it's there so you'll be prepared.

Again - good luck!  May the worst weather hold off until you're done.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Half Crazy K 2.0

darkwave, grass? That's new. I ran the Salisbury HM in its first year and can't recall any grass. Would it be while you are in the park?

darkwave

Mother of Cats

darkwave, grass? That's new. I ran the Salisbury HM in its first year and can't recall any grass. Would it be while you are in the park?

Yup- right when you cut across the park.  That being said, I ran it in 2021, which was the COVID-has-made-everything-weird year, and perhaps there was some confusion and that wasn't where we were supposed to run.

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Andy - Yuck.  It's hard to know if things are getting worse because of how much people love hysteria these days.  2 years ago we had our "First Purple Rain warning in history...everybody panic!"  Later in the story was the footnote "the purple rating has been in effect for less than a year".

I hear you and I'm not someone who thinks the earth is changing dramatically every 5 years but I think they got this prediction correct. Multiple tornadoes earlier in the Little Rock, Arkansas area and happening right now, there is a major tornado about 20 miles north of us. It is heading further away from us so we are fine but the weather guys on the local news were saying "oh wow! I have never seen those colors on the radar before".

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

Running Problem

Problem Child

Did someone say Purple Rain? In my world PurpleAir is NOT something you want to be outside in (Air Quality <201-300)

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

JMac11

RIP Milkman

As for me, I've got the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler on Sunday.  Would like to break 71:19 as that earns me a mug (for running faster than the first female winner of the race).  Would also like to break 70 just because.

Don't say mug in these parts unless it's a Moose Mug. That's our equivalent of shouting fire in a crowded theater.

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

In my world PurpleAir is NOT something you want to be outside in (Air Quality <201-300)

+1

We got a new dog last year and named him Smokey, because the day we got him the AQI was >200.

Dave

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

I hear you and I'm not someone who thinks the earth is changing dramatically every 5 years but I think they got this prediction correct. Multiple tornadoes earlier in the Little Rock, Arkansas area and happening right now, there is a major tornado about 20 miles north of us. It is heading further away from us so we are fine but the weather guys on the local news were saying "oh wow! I have never seen those colors on the radar before".

Some of the tornado footage I see from your parts is truly terrifying.  A whole new level.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

We are in the downstairs closet right now with our helmets on with a tornado approaching. Looks like it should shoot just to the south of us, maybe 5 miles south. Why am I posting on RA right now? Because I am stuck in a tiny closet with two little boys who just want to fight about "but he's touching me!!!" I may go sit in the half bath with the dog in a minute....

Some of the tornado footage I see from your parts is truly terrifying.  A whole new level.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

dktrotter

Dorothea

Jmac, I had PF and Archilles problems a while ago and that did stem from my back. I got PT and some cortisone shots for a while and it did seem to help. I second Mikkey about the Shockwave therapy...only continue if it works. I spent 350 Euro before I realized it may never work. I do hope you can find a good care plan soon, and make it go away. PF is the worst. I don't know if it ever truly goes away...

Mmerkle and Marky, good luck tomorrow! Wishing you both good races and the ability to overcome the setbacks. Good luck Flavio as well :-) didn't know if your race is tomorrow? And good luck at the Cherry Blossom darkwave!

And Andy, that sounds really scary. Hope you and your family and all you know stay safe!

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Thanks for all the comments on injuries. My current PT thinks a lot of it is stemming from my back given how weird all of my symptoms are. I buy it, but I'm going to keep up with more traditional Achilles/PTT treatment as well. But for now, still no running for a minimum week total.

Myofascial Release Therapy might help. I’ve had 3 sessions this year and had tightness in my back and definitely felt better for it overall. Got to be worth a try!

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

JMac11

RIP Milkman

2:59:26! He did it!!

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19)