Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

darkwave

Mother of Cats

2:59:26! He did it!!

YES!!!!!!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

2:59:26! He did it!!

WOO HOO!! Way to go!

Dave

mmerkle

need2tri

darkwave

Mother of Cats

Look at these splits!

Just beautiful!

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

Marky_Mark_17

Congrats mmerkle!

I decided to DNS in the end. Still not over this cold and not worth pushing it with a month until Southern Lakes.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

dktrotter

Dorothea

That must feel so good. Congrats mmerkle!! Not only did you break the barrier, but you did it in some über-tough conditions. Amazing splits. Seeing this made my day. Now hope you're off to celebrate (after maybe a nap or two).

As for you Mark, glad to see you've decided, as that's the hardest thing. Sounds like a smart choice.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

Ramadan and running - I am certainly not going to criticize someone else's religion but a kid on our Track/XC team showed up yesterday to practice with no water. I had a spare bottle and offered it to him but he said he couldn't because he was fasting and couldn't drink until 7 pm. This means an out of shape 9-year-old kid was sent to run ~3 miles at practice after school on a warm sunny day when he had not eaten or drank fluids since 7 am that morning. He was in good spirits about it and wasn't complaining but I didn't know what to say to him other than to take it easy. So when we have our track meets for 4 hours every Saturday, this kid is expected to not eat or drink at all while competing in multiple events???

Andy, for some culturally sensitive advice, I would ask the kid if you could talk to his parents and give them a call (or ask the head coach to do this). Just have a frank conversation on whether they know their son is fasting, whether he's fueling enough (getting enough to drink and eat during the non-fasting time), and express your concern that you don't know how comfortable you are coaching him with these limits. You can ask them for advice on how to support their son during this time. I don't know if I would bring this up, but it may also be useful, most practicing Muslims do make exceptions for children, the elderly, and others for whom fasting could cause health concerns, and I would point out to the parents you would recommend, out of concern for the child, that he can at least drink water on the days that he runs. He's a growing child and wants to be an athlete and fasting that way could cause health concerns down the line.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

Tyson Fury and myself would like to congratulate you on a magnificent performance today. 👍

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Andy - That sounds rough, hope you come through unscathed.

mmerkle - Yes!!   Fantastic performance.

Mark - That's a shame but probably wise.  I'm tracking my mate, I love this tracking.  First time I've been able to - the only other time this race was on when I didn't run was 2021 when Christchurch was on at the same time.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Look at these splits!

Just beautiful!

That's a work of art.  The first split is almost my highlight - he's put on a clinic out there today.

5km: 18:34 11/23 │ 10km: 39:10 8/23 │ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 │ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Fishyone

MMerk!!!!!!

Well done Super consistent splits.  Perfect strategy and execution.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Half Crazy K 2.0

Congrats mmerkle! That's really impressive given the absolute shit conditions. Did you have to deal with dodging new students on the college campus? Apparently today was some sort of event for incoming students, great timing, although the volunteers did great keeping everyone separate in the tunnel when I came through.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Mmerkle did the wind even affect you today?!!?!? Shit man…from a 3:03 A goal to a sub-3. Looking forward to a DETAILED race report.

darkwave best of luck getting your MUG tomorrow.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

mmerkle

Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the compliments on my splits. RP The wind had to be a factor, but I didn't let it rattle me and I took your advice on not fighting it. For sure a race report is coming tomorrow. Tonight I'm celebrating a bit lol. I have some friends down here actually. Advice from several people on here came in handy and I will be giving shout outs in my race report.

Half Crazy K Didn't have to dodge anyone but a handful of people made a lot of noise cheering in that tunnel the course goes through between miles 9 and 10. I didn't mind.