Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

Fishyone

MMerk you gotta make your own screw shoes.  Just get hex head sheet metal screws. 1/2 inch or 3/8 and go to town!  Just stay the hell off the hardwood floors or the wife will kill you😂

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

MMerk you gotta make your own screw shoes.  Just get hex head sheet metal screws. 1/2 inch or 3/8 and go to town! 

Yep. Works like a charm.

Dave

JMac11

RIP Milkman

Steve - I did respond back a few days ago! You just have to beat it by 1 second, there’s no buffer like Boston. The only problem is you need to be online and ready to click the website the second the registration opens. Recently those non-NYRR qualifiers are gone within the day (sometimes within a couple of hours).

DW - I actually just signed up for that race again. Have you run it before? I’ll have tips for you as we get closer if you haven’t. Also how did you get guaranteed entry into it? Or are you just in the lottery? I’ve only entered it recently with guaranteed NYRR times so I don’t know what the process is otherwise, do they have non-NYRR time entries that you got in through?

5K: 16:37 (11/20)  |  10K: 34:49 (10/19)  |  HM: 1:14:57 (5/22)  |  FM: 2:36:31 (12/19) 

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Woops, I missed that in my summer haze. Thanks, that is good to know. I suspect the registration period will open at 2am NZ time but first things first, I’ll try and get a qualifier. So far I haven’t found an AIMS certified half in NZ on a fast course, which I’ll need. I can always try the lottery too but I’m braced for it being an expensive race.

Spoke to my coach on Thursday and he said my 5km points to sub 3 being possible using the Humphrey calculator. Neither of us are looking past Christchurch though, and a sensible goal and hopefully a good race.

5km: 18:34 11/23 â”‚ 10km: 39:10 8/23 â”‚ HM: 1:26:48 9/23 â”‚ M: 3:34:49 6/23

2024 Races:

Motorway Half Marathon February 25, 2024 1:29:55

Christchurch Half-Marathon April 21, 2024

Selwyn Marathon June 2, 2024

Dunedin Half Marathon September 15, 2024

Marky_Mark_17

Woops, I missed that in my summer haze. Thanks, that is good to know. I suspect the registration period will open at 2am NZ time but first things first, I’ll try and get a qualifier. So far I haven’t found an AIMS certified half in NZ on a fast course, which I’ll need. I can always try the lottery too but I’m braced for it being an expensive race.

Waterfront definitely is but I suspect not an option for you for a number of reasons! Auckland is as well, but not very fast. Not sure about Christchurch.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Waterfront definitely is but I suspect not an option for you for a number of reasons! Auckland is as well, but not very fast. Not sure about Christchurch.

Christchurch is but it’s my redemption full marathon. Waterfront not an option 2 weeks before Christchurch and Auckland unlikely to get me the time I need. I’ve messaged Dunedin to find out if the half is certified (the full is) because that’s the best time of year and course option. I’m sure Wellington is but big weather risk and too close to Christchurch.

Has the NZ half champs been decided? Surely that’s certified

2024 Races:

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW - I actually just signed up for that race again. Have you run it before? I’ll have tips for you as we get closer if you haven’t. Also how did you get guaranteed entry into it? Or are you just in the lottery? I’ve only entered it recently with guaranteed NYRR times so I don’t know what the process is otherwise, do they have non-NYRR time entries that you got in through?

They took non-NYRR time entries, so I got in using the half-marathon I ran back in September.

Thanks for the tips - I'll definitely ask when we get closer.  BTW I'm not sure I'm racing the Brooklyn Half - I may break my own rule and just do it as a workout (my NYC 2024 time standard is 1:49 - 8:19 pace - so I could theoretically do this if I don't have any fitness/neuro setbacks).   The reason is that I may be racing a 3 miler on Wednesday of that week as part of a team for my employer.  I don't want to race twice so close to each other, so if that's the case I'll race the 3 miler and figure out a 13.1 mile workout that will get me safely under the 1:49 bar.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

darkwave

Mother of Cats

DW I think those people on social media are exaggerating for attention. And I'm sure it works really well too so they keep doing it. That or they're mentally weak and can't handle a little discomfort. Or both, most likely.

I think it's a bit of both.

As far as I can tell, in general the qualities required to be "successful" on social media are diametrically opposite to the qualities required to be successful as an athlete.

Everyone's gotta running blog; I'm the only one with a POOL-RUNNING blog.

And...if you want a running Instagram where all the pictures are of cats, I've got you covered.

dktrotter

Dorothea

I think that physically running is about learning to run fast while not working any harder than you have to.  Yes, there will be times where you are maxed out, but those should be few and only at the end of races.

I think that mentally running is about learning to run fast while not working any harder than you have to.  Yes, there will be times where you have to really dig deep, squeeze your eyes shut and ask yourself how badly you want it, but those should be few and only during races.

As far as I can tell, in general the qualities required to be "successful" on social media are diametrically opposite to the qualities required to be successful as an athlete.

Well said. Also, I see those posts (rarely... not on any social media except Strava) and I think to myself: there are so many other great ways of being active and trying something hard. Why are they running? Is it maybe the most accessible hard thing to do? Been reading What I Talk About When I Talk About Running (mostly memoir of a novelist who likes to run) and he points out early that he would never think to convince someone else who wasn't already running about how great it is, because Murakami knows that just because he likes it, doesn't mean everyone will.

Re: mind over matter, I had a terrible race in high school during regionals where I just backed off during the 2-mile because the pressure was so intense and I would rather fake an injury than not cross the line as the top 3. My mind definitely won that battle then... but in a bad way. Since then I actually never really entered the "pain cave" until about  2 years ago when I realized how to get rid of that fear of failure.

This past summer, I ran that 12 x 3+ race, and I was fast on those first laps. But by lap 8, which was the 26.2 mile mark, where I realized this is the most I've ever run in a day, I had a few hard laps, because I hadn't mentally prepared for that (or admittedly physically- signed up literally the day before). I also was fine with just having crossed that marathon barrier. However, the last lap, which was also an elimination round (the last runner would be a DNF, even if they finished the lap), I started at the back and people were building hundreds of meters on me. I started the lap thinking, oh well, I can't do any better... I can't beat these people, I just take the DNF. Someone always has to be last. But then something kicked in where I said, "hell no! I don't want a DNF! I want the recorded time! I want to see my time and placing on UltraSignup Results!" And somehow my legs found the strength to push harder, even if 5 minutes earlier I would have sworn I couldn't run another second faster. It wasn't pretty, but I used that renewed commitment and rode on it through the end, caught the rear people, and even made it to the middle of the pack again. So that's where the mind won.

Either way, it's critical to be able to turn the brain on or off in those specific moments in a race. I guess it can be trained? But unless you replicate those conditions in training, it may be hard to really prepare for those things. That's probably one of the reasons one should never go too long without racing.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

dktrotter

Dorothea

Dave: Great to know! I prefer running in Delray anyway :-)

JMac, no, I didn't find a PT here yet. I had one in Berlin, but when I came back here, it was during COVID, so I didn't have a chance to find someone, and then by the time people started getting vaccinated, I didn't really have any issues. I found someone now who seems like he could be a good go-to person, but even though I told him I'd like to see him again, he's been shifty on setting up an appointment. Don't know what's up with that.

Mmerkle, thanks for that conversion link! I think I've seen it before. I completed almost an entire marathon training cycle on the treadmill once and ended up injured, so I think I may just have an aversion based on my own ignorance. I see what you mean. Yeah, obviously attempting a workout on unsuitable ground would give poorer results than where you can control the conditions. I am thinking of taking up your suggestion for hillwork with the treadmill. My uni has a gym that I'm going to sign up for when the semester starts again Monday.

Qualifications: I like to run. In Florida. In the summer. At noon.  

Last race: Community 5K, March 2nd. Speed test run with 2 walk breaks. Went pretty well.  

Marky_Mark_17

Christchurch is but it’s my redemption full marathon. Waterfront not an option 2 weeks before Christchurch and Auckland unlikely to get me the time I need. I’ve messaged Dunedin to find out if the half is certified (the full is) because that’s the best time of year and course option. I’m sure Wellington is but big weather risk and too close to Christchurch.

Has the NZ half champs been decided? Surely that’s certified

Dunedin would be a good bet if it is certified. It’s basically dead flat now. Most of the National Champs venues for the year are announced in Jan or early Feb so keep your eyes out. Historically they’ve given HM Champs to a venue for two years in a row to help manage costs etc so it may end up being Cambridge again but no guarantee.

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

Marky_Mark_17

Had a really good progression workout on Tues, my best in at least a month, despite having to fight the wind.  Enough left to really gas the last km and I felt nice and controlled through the build.  The weather was pretty terrible all week with wind and rain giving way to high humidity without either wind or rain (arguably worse).  Came down with some random bug on Thursday that caused me to lose my voice and sleep a lot so I was pretty conservative on Saturday's track session, but everything seemed to bounce back to normal by Sunday, fingers crossed it stays that way.

Looks like next week is a slightly easier week after a couple of big weeks.

Weekly for period: From: 02/01/2023 To 08/01/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                          Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                          in m
                          02/01 That run where I’m struggling to find an adequate replacement for The Umbrella Academy 6.22 10.01 00:46:41 07:30 04:40 81
                          03/01 That run where the pretty graph had an added degree of difficulty for 45km/h winds 10.62 17.09 01:04:53 06:07 03:48 179
                          04/01 That run where it was a bit breezy 8.80 14.15 01:03:13 07:11 04:28 131
                          05/01 That run where I unexpectedly discovered the soles of these shoes glow in the dark 11.39 18.33 01:14:39 06:33 04:04 153
                          07/01 That run where my quest to get sick less this year has not started well 8.09 13.02 00:50:30 06:15 03:53 58
                          08/01 That run where building a retirement village next to a cemetery is either convenient or just taking the piss 14.58 23.46 01:44:21 07:09 04:27 223

Total distance: 96.05km (59.7 imperial rusted buckets)

* Net downhill course

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"

mmerkle

dktrotter That makes sense. I have the opposite bias, the treadmill has gotten me in great shape in the past. I forgot to mention that hill running on the mill allows you to avoid downhill running. Also if you don't mind me asking, are you doing a post-doc right now? Or are you on tenure track, or neither? Feel free to ignore that if you're not comfortable.

Mark I really like that Tuesday workout. What is the function of the ~ 6:40 imperial rusted bucket pace at the beginnings and ends of these tempo runs? Is it about easing in and easing back out? And what are you shooting for the next HM?

Dave/Fishy Make my own? Interesting, not sure how. I remember seeing these devices you can kind of slip over your shoe for ice/snow, and that's what I thought you meant.

Running Problem

Problem Child

Jmac two things.  First, I totally agree about clubs wanting to do photos or stop and let other catch up. The Sunday group I visit is notorious, in my opinion, for the 8am run starting at 8:10am because everyone is just hanging out.  The Saturday crew I went with showed up 10 minutes early and most were doing a 2 hour run so we didn’t want to Lollygag There WERE a few groups around here more into causal running. Work two kids it gets easier when you do your long run at 5am, or about 20 minutes before they start watching a long movie. It’s easier on their mother when they zone out for 90 minutes while you’re gone. 
                              second, training where snow and ice…YaxTrax Run version. They have micro spikes on the balls of your feet.  Once you learn to trust them you can really get a good run in on some ice.  Most ice here is relatively easy to run on. In Alaska it’s just too cold (single digit) to run outside even with layers.  
                              Also, I’m pretty anti-tablet/phone. I give my kids books or toys. I hate hearing some kid’s tv show when I’m eating dinner because mom and dad want nothing to do with the kid at the restaurant. I find it inconsiderate and wish they’d go home and watch tv. I’ll also never forget a kid my son’s age not being able to talk more than baby talk while GLUUUUUUUED to a tablet in the airport, while my kid is making full sentences because I engage him.  I also like to do things the hard way in life. 

keen best of luck on the Iwo Jima repeats.  You’ll need to figure out a stride measurement like ‘flowers’ or ‘people’ to determine how many strides to do. Also, if you meet darkwave just remember dynamite comes in small packages.

Fishy I’m pretty sure I was told to run a 5x1k as a workout to determine 5k pace.  Even after doing it I couldn’t imagine doing it without a break. Weird how workouts show speed capbilities sometimes.  Maybe it helps the mental aspect of running.

screw shoes…..flashbacks of that guy from California’s Bay Area commenting on how attractive the women at his marathon were

id talked with SomethingClever through Strava and told him to run CIM. He said it’s a serious possibility. Maybe he WILL come back.

I’ve put in two runs with the same guy this week. It’s easy runs for me and I thank him just because I would t go if he didn’t ask, and he’s someone I’ve run with for a long time.  I actually got him into marathoning and training to get better. Even got him a BQ-7+ minutes at his first marathon. CIM of course. It’s the easiest one I’ve run four times.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

SteveChCh

Hot Weather Complainer

Mark - Another illness??  Nice work pushing through a big week in spite of that.

My week was solid with 2 good workouts.  On Saturday I did the Rapaki trail - a famous strength work trail in Christchurch.  It was not a summer day with a strong southerly and drizzle, and the southerly came straight down the mountain into me so it was even harder.  It was supposed to be a maximum of 30 mins climbing and I did it in 27 but looking at the HR data perhaps I could have pushed it harder although both physio and coach said to be conservative especially early on.  The hardest sections have about 100m elevation gain over 1km.

Weekly for period: From: 02/01/2023 To 08/01/2023

<caption>Weekly Grid</caption>
                                Date Name mi km Duration Avg/mi Avg/km Elevation Gain
                                in m
                                02/01 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:23 09:57 06:16 0
                                02/01 Easy med long 9.26 14.90 01:20:48 08:44 05:25 21
                                04/01 Warm up 0.34 0.55 00:03:20 09:48 06:04 0
                                04/01 Rule of thirds - 30E, 30AeT, 30E 11.40 18.35 01:30:07 07:54 04:55 12
                                05/01 Easy Thursday 6.41 10.31 01:00:17 09:24 05:51 15
                                06/01 Warm up 0.34 0.54 00:03:26 10:06 06:21 0
                                06/01 Easy 50 with 6 x 15s strides 5.84 9.40 00:50:09 08:35 05:20 9
                                07/01 Warm up 0.37 0.59 00:03:44 10:05 06:20 0
                                07/01 Rapaki Climb 9.89 15.91 01:30:24 09:08 05:41 348 (1142ft)
                                08/01 Recovery 5.84 9.40 00:55:55 09:34 05:57 10

Total distance: 80.48km (50.02mi)

2024 Races: