Competitive Jerks Racing and Training - 2023 (Read 573 times)

flavio80

Intl. correspondent

1) the need to carry the gels with you

2) the risk of stomach issues

3) worries about consuming too many calories during your marathon and getting fat.

Those are probably the most common ones. But I can think of one more (Reactive Hypoglycemia).

On that subject, I have a hard time noticing any energy uptake when I take a gel during running. Come to think about it I tried to take one around km 34 during my marathon to try to get a boost when I was running low on fuel, but it did absolutely nothing. It puzzles me why...

Dunno, maybe I just have to run it without any gels.

RP - ah, I see Hansons I upvote! I have a feeling you're gonna do great at Boston.

DW - Excellent race, sorry you missed some sleep due to the winds and the nearby tree. That tree should probably be taken down.

Steve - Hang in there, nothing is lost yet.

Dave - That resonates with me. On my last marathon I started feeling really bad around 19miles 30k, way too early. I manage to hang for 7 more km before the full crash.
    I hope next time I start feeling under pressure about 30 minutes later.

PRs: 1500 4:54.1 2019 - 5K 17:53 2023 - 10K 37:55 2023 - HM 1:21:59 2021

Up next: some 800m race (or time trials) / Also place in the top 20% in a trail race

Tool to generate Strava weekly

On that subject, I have a hard time noticing any energy uptake when I take a gel during running. Come to think about it I tried to take one around km 34 during my marathon to try to get a boost when I was running low on fuel, but it did absolutely nothing. It puzzles me why...

Dunno, maybe I just have to run it without any gels.

flavio - I have never in my life felt any kind of perceptible boost from a gel. I just assume if I don’t take them, I’ll eventually feel the lack of them. Maybe I could take more, since I’m not concerned with anything on darkwave’s list. I’m not sure whether I’d see any noticeable improvement; it’s hard to do a controlled experiment on this, there are always other factors.

Dave

40+ yo woman supplements distance training with pool running. Who’d think of that? (Warning - WSJ paywall)

She Trains for Ultralong Runs with Marathon Pool Sessions
        https://www.wsj.com/articles/ultramarathon-training-deep-water-running-5ce79d11?mod=e2fb&fbclid=IwAR3NRTrPU5hGsr-a6tww4WpVd3IvbqcUZDhor0pfMqSm2TJH_xlD0QTHgzQ

Dave

Fishyone

flavio - I have never in my life felt any kind of perceptible boost from a gel. I just assume if I don’t take them, I’ll eventually feel the lack of them. Maybe I could take more, since I’m not concerned with anything on darkwave’s list. I’m not sure whether I’d see any noticeable improvement; it’s hard to do a controlled experiment on this, there are always other factors.

Maybe it's all mental but I definitely feel a boost from the shot blocks.  I feel it more during training runs but assumed that was because I was closer to redlining during races.  It may be the caffeine boost but I like it and count on it as a pick me up.

5K 18:36 (2023), 10K 39:40 (2022), 1/2 1:24:37 (2023), full 2:58:36 (2015) 

Maybe it's all mental 

That’s just as real!

Dave

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

JMac I didn't realize a mild rough patch is normal around half way ish. I too am hoping to be in the 2:40s some day, or possibly even under 2:40. I am still "only" 28. Hopefully my 30's bring some fast times. Thanks for all the training advice and well-placed criticism since I have joined. In fact while we're at it, Steve, my next big foe is 2:50, but I think a good intermediate goal is obviously 2:55.

So RP, do you wanna talk about tapering? Seems like a good topic for the thread. As I mentioned on Strava, I too find tapering to be perhaps the most intimidating part of the cycle. I may take this too seriously sometimes, but inside of 10 days, my understanding is there is almost nothing you can do to improve fitness besides speed and strength work, since it only takes a few days for your body to realize those benefits. Just about everything else takes longer to "kick in", so it's about maintenance and staying healthy pretty much.

MMerkle - I remind myself when the age topic comes up that Kipchoge is 38 and still setting world records. So yes, 28 is still plenty young to not have to worry about age catching up to you any time soon. You started running competitively much sooner than me but since I started running seriously at about 33, I will be able to continue to improve well into my 40's as my running body continues to fine tune/improve over time before father time starts slowing me down. Heck, Dave is still setting PR's in his late 50's. That is certainly encouraging to us young whippersnappers.

RP - I have subscribed to the 10 days rule Michael is referencing above but I am normally so beat up from amping up mileage for a training cycle that the taper is like a nice little break before the big test. In my short running career on a budget-milage routine throughout the year, I have taken taper periods to the extreme before with bare minimum of easy runs with lots of stretching. Something very important, you need to start wearing your orange shirts daily leading up to the race like you are carb loading. You can only wear 1 orange shirt on race day so you need to get up your stores of orange for maximum speed. I wore an orange shirt for my recent Half PR so there has to be science behind it...

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

CommanderKeen

Cobra Commander Keen

RP - It takes about an hour for caffeine to peak, not kick in.
                When I've rotated caffeinated/non-caffeinated gels I've worked backwards from the finish - wanting my last caffeinated gel to be ~80-90 minutes from the end.
                Your plan seems pretty close to that, so I approve (for the very little that's worth).

Merkle - Have you tried mixing your own LMNT? I can do fine with unflavored stuff in many cases, but haven't found anything that makes it easy to add a bit of decent flavor to it yet.
                Nice profile pic update.

Flavio - I'm with you on not feeling anything from gels. I know that at marathon+ intensity I'd almost certainly bonk without them, or at least slow down if I didn't crash outright, but I have no idea where that point would be.

5k: 17:58 11/22 │ 10k: 37:55 9/21 │ HM: 1:23:22 4/22 │ M: 2:56:05 12/22

Upcoming Races:

OKC Memorial 5k - April 27

Bun Run 5k - May 4

Running Problem

Problem Child

Fishy well...I guess once or twice I specifically targeted hills. The 20 miler a few weeks ago, and the one workout I hammered HARD at work. I've had about 2,000 ft of elevation gain for weekly running according to Strava. I heard one podcast say to target 1,000 ft. I ignore any performance gains from living at 4,500 ft and racing at sea level.

dwave wait...you're telling me I'm not alone being concerned I'll get fat on race day? PHEW!!

It's mostly the caffeine. If this was an ultra I probably wouldn't be AS worried about caffeine.

Read the race report. You said this race was worse than the half. Does the first mile/crowding have any impact on it? Is it heart rate? effort? Average pace? What part of the race makes it worse? If you're improving from 4 months ago congratulations and I'm happy the medications are working in you favor.

flavio man I hope. I keep checking weather.

https://findmymarathon.com/boston-marathon-weather.php

Wave 1.

The temp, wind, and humidity are very VERY close to CIM 2019, and 2021. Like...."Checkers or Wreckers is a go" scary.

I can already hear JMac being upset at me for being worried about anything, and keen calling me a sandbagger.

AndyTN Do non-running orange shirts work for speed as much as running specific shirts? I don't have too many orange shirts mostly because I'm not a Volunteer fan/hater.

As for taper....I'm almost to the point of saying "At this point is a workout REALLY going to make a difference??" Yes. Yes it will. It will keep the mind sharp and the legs poppin.

Dave Aint your race coming up soon too? what is the goal? what is the weather? where is the freak out? How are you so quiet?

keen text me my plan on race day so I don't forget. I'll have my phone and you'll be tracking so just a quick little text like "Caff" or "decaf" about 15 minutes ahead of schedule would be awesome. I'll be busy thinking about work.

As for bonking without gels...I think my point was about 4 hours on a warm training run. I've had sugar crash runs before, and this one was full on walking, stopped and pulled out a sandwich, and started to feel better. It might NOT be worth trying for an ultra. More....eat a lot and find out what you CAN eat a lot of just like on marathon race day. You take gels like every 30 minutes, right? Similar concept. I had a gel or a solid food every 30 minutes for my 50 miler. Eat by the clock, not the stomach/body feel.

NYC Marathon Logistics: What are they? I keep hearing it referenced with Boston, and the only other BIG marathon I've run was Chicago. Chicago seemed to run just fine, but maybe the lack of buses helped with it. The walk to the park, through the park and bag drop, then to the starting corrals didn't seem like a big deal. ACtualy....I didn't even warm up for THAT race and didn't even think much about it.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Mikkey

Mmmm Bop

NYC Marathon Logistics: What are they? I keep hearing it referenced with Boston, and the only other BIG marathon I've run was Chicago. Chicago seemed to run just fine, but maybe the lack of buses helped with it. The walk to the park, through the park and bag drop, then to the starting corrals didn't seem like a big deal. ACtualy....I didn't even warm up for THAT race and didn't even think much about it.

You basically get a subway to the ferry, I think they went every 20min or so and the crossing takes about 30min. You then board a shuttle bus which takes you to the village and then you wait to be called into your starting corral. Wind direction is also a factor…SW is ideal iirc.

The first half of the course is flat, but you’ll need to save energy for Queensboro Bridge at around mile 15 and Fifth Avenue from mile 22. I would say it’s about 2 or 3min slower than a flat course for a sub3 runner assuming you don’t go nuts early on.

5k - 17:53 (4/19)   10k - 37:53 (11/18)   Half - 1:23:18 (4/19)   Full - 2:50:43 (4/19)

AndyTN

Overweight per CDC BMI

Tempo/Threshold Runs - I experimented with something this morning and wanted to get opinions on which will provide the most benefit. I did 9 miles containing four 1 mile intervals at tempo/threshold effort with 4 min of jogging between each. I would normally run a tempo run with 4 miles continuous within a 8-9 mile run with the easy pace at the beginning/end. Would there be any benefit to running the 1-mile intervals if I wasn't running any faster than what I would have done with the 4 continuous miles? Or would it all even out to be a wash since I was running the same quantity of fast and slow miles but just mixing it up for entertainment purposes?

AndyTN Do non-running orange shirts work for speed as much as running specific shirts? I don't have too many orange shirts mostly because I'm not a Volunteer fan/hater.

Orange polo shirts with a white T won't make you run any faster but it will make you drink more whiskey and have the courage to get in a shouting match with the mother of the tall 12-year-old boy you just yelled obscenities at because he was wearing a Florida jersey... The future mother of my children made me walk home alone after that football game in 2008.

Memphis / 38 male

5k - 20:39 / 10k - 43:48 / Half - 1:34:47 / Full - 3:38:10

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Tempo/Threshold Runs - I experimented with something this morning and wanted to get opinions on which will provide the most benefit. I did 9 miles containing four 1 mile intervals at tempo/threshold effort with 4 min of jogging between each. I would normally run a tempo run with 4 miles continuous within a 8-9 mile run with the easy pace at the beginning/end. Would there be any benefit to running the 1-mile intervals if I wasn't running any faster than what I would have done with the 4 continuous miles? Or would it all even out to be a wash since I was running the same quantity of fast and slow miles but just mixing it up for entertainment purposes?

A couple reasons for breaking up a tempo run into a series of shorter runs is that the total distance at tempo effort can then be longer or slightly faster.  The main benefits I would see in breaking a tempo run into shorter segments run at the same pace would be if you weren't fully recovered and ready for a continuous effort or you needed/wanted some variety.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                              05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

Dave Aint your race coming up soon too? what is the goal? what is the weather? where is the freak out? How are you so quiet?

I've been quiet because not a damn thing is happening. The race is 4/30 but I've barely run the past couple weeks due to shin pain. I posted when it first cropped up, but haven't talked much about it since. I had to bail on my half as well as a pacing gig. The potentially promising news is I went for a 4 mile test run today, first attempt in over a week, and it was pain-free. One run does not a comeback make, but I'll take in. Now I just need to figure out how to manage the next 4 weeks. Probably no point in planning too much though, since I don't know if the pain will return. One day at a time.

What I do know is I can't transfer to another runner or defer to next year. (Well I could have done the latter if I had thought to check the website sooner than 1 day after the deadline. ) I have till 4/21 to decide to drop back to the half.

Dave

A couple reasons for breaking up a tempo run into a series of shorter runs is that the total distance at tempo effort can then be longer or slightly faster.  The main benefits I would see in breaking a tempo run into shorter segments run at the same pace would be if you weren't fully recovered and ready for a continuous effort or you needed/wanted some variety.

Yep.

Andy - Tempo intervals are a pretty common part of a marathon training plan. I do some continuous tempos and some broken into 1-mile intervals (up to 6 of them, with 3 min recovery). My target pace for the intervals is slightly faster, but only ~5 sec/mi, so both fall in the LT range.

Dave

Running Problem

Problem Child

Tempo/Threshold Runs - I experimented with something this morning and wanted to get opinions on which will provide the most benefit. I did 9 miles containing four 1 mile intervals at tempo/threshold effort with 4 min of jogging between each. I would normally run a tempo run with 4 miles continuous within a 8-9 mile run with the easy pace at the beginning/end.

1. Would there be any benefit to running the 1-mile intervals if I wasn't running any faster than what I would have done with the 4 continuous miles? Or
                              2. would it all even out to be a wash since I was running the same quantity of fast and slow miles but just mixing it up for entertainment purposes?

Orange polo shirts with a white T won't make you run any faster but it will make you drink more whiskey and have the courage to get in a shouting match with the mother of the tall 12-year-old boy you just yelled obscenities at because he was wearing a Florida jersey... The future mother of my children made me walk home alone after that football game in 2008.

What wcrunner said.

The 4 mile continuous run is for confidence in keeping the pace for extended periods of time.

The intervals are for getting more miles.

Jack Daniels book says to shorten recovery if you don't think the intervals are hard enough .

5:1 work : recovery. I think for all my tempo/threshold work I was doing 2-2:30 minute recovery running a 6:30-40 mile pace.

Literally my workout tonight is 6x1 mile at 6:30/mi pace with a 2 minute jog recovery. 2 mile warm up/cool down. Hansons calls this "strength" and Jack Daniels calls it "cruise intervals." The biggest difference between the two is what pace I'm doin them at.

Jack Daniels 2:56 marathon says to do them at 6:20/mi pace.

Hansons says 10 seconds faster than  goal marathon pace which would be about 6:32/mi.

shit....more proof I'm in (PR) shape.

Many of us aren't sure what the hell point you are trying to make and no matter how we guess, it always seems to be something else. Which usually means a person is doing it on purpose.

VDOT 53.37 

5k18:xx | Marathon 2:55:22

Marky_Mark_17

Like Steve I have not been posting much due to sulking about being sick.  Anyway, I think I'm finally on the improve again... felt reasonable out there this morning.

I didn't mention that, despite my DNS on Sunday, my 6 year old daughter salvaged the day by running a PB by almost 1 minute in the 2k kids dash.  She has not trained a lot due to having the same cold as me (a bit earlier), but paced it very well and ran a big negative split.  Also, as I was not racing, she got to choose the outfit for her pacer (me) so I ended up in the full pink kit again.  The things we do for our kids lol.

Looks like some quality RP taper madness going on.

3,000m: 9:07.7 (Nov-21) | 5,000m: 15:39 (Dec-19) | 10,000m: 32:34 (Mar-20)  

10km: 33:15 (Sep-19) | HM: 1:09:41 (May-21)* | FM: 2:41:41 (Oct-20)

* Net downhill course

Last race: Waterfront HM, 7 Apr, 1:15:48

Up next: Runway5, 4 May

"CONSISTENCY IS KING"